• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
whew. finished my speedster/unchanging armor/undefeated run. done at level 50 in 5:45. It was pretty easy going until i hit end of the world, then chernabog started wrecking my shit, but that was nothing compared to the final boss. i was ridiculously underpowered and had to slowly chip away at every single form. Took me 3 tries and about 20-30 minutes per attempt. Once I managed to beat world of chaos' first form (those fucking lasers!) it was relatively easy going, aside from the pressure of knowing i could still die instantly and redo the entire half-hour battle.

but now it's done and i never want to play the game again. :)

TheMink

DBAcMf2.gif

Let's imagine KH3 where the main core of combat system is based upon the command deck system from BBS. Now let's think how we can improve it.

One thing I have been crying before yet again is customization. BBS did it well but as you said in the end it will usually boil down to pretty similar character every time. Thankfully at least BBS had 3 different characters so it made it a lil more interesting. However I have before suggested that KH3 could use a Skill Tree system in addition to command deck when it comes to customization.

Let's say there is 3 skill trees: classic sword, staff and shield. Your character would become very different depending how you spend your skill points in these trees (1 skill point per level or bonus level?) and then further customize the abilities you have thru the command deck. And the skill tree you choose to invest in would change your combat deck. There could be tiers where you would unlock a bonus deck slot but you could only put certain command in that particular slot depending what skill tree you are using (only attack command if sword, only magic command if staff and only item if shield for example. Also to improve the progression you could be locked out for equipping more powerful abilities till you were high enough in the skill tree. You could have tiered unlocks depending what tree you were using (another example: if you were in the sword skilltree you could only equip the most basic magic abilities but would have access to better attack commands earlier and vice versa for staff. Shield would give you more balanced options giving access to level 2 of both attack and magic commands while it would be level 3 magic commands and level 1 attack commands for staff. Then each time you get to the next tier in the skill three the level of abilities you could equip would increase by 1.

So even simpler example: lets say the classic spells Fire, Fira and Firaga would be abilities level 1, 5 and 10 for example. If you were in the staff skilltree you could use Firaga spell at the time when shield could use Fira and sword could only use Fire until even higher in the tree. And other way round when with staff you could equip something basic like Quick Blitz you could be rocking with Zantetsuken if you had sword.

And not to be a total bore and prevent using cool abilities depending what you were invested in there could be 1 special deck slot unlocked at some point that you could equip anything you wanted.

That was just a little ramble how this could be handled. I could speculate even more how the skilltree system could work in KH (who doesn't love skill trees?)

Let's imagine if drive forms made a return. Let's say there were the classic Valor and Wisdom form to represent sword and staff but introduce a new one for shield. Guard form or something, perhaps green or even keyblade armor? They would work pretty much the same way they do in KH2, maybe a little toned down.

Now imagine that the very last ability you would get in the skill trees would be you becoming playable in that form permanently. For example when you hit level 50 or something in the sword skilltree you could be in Valor form all the time. For Valor you'd become faster and able to dual wield, for Wisdom you could shoot instead of melee attack and your spells would enhance/you'd be able to cast them while moving and for Guard form you'd be able to stand more damage, regenerate HP, your guard ability would block from all sides and you'd get insanely sick counterattack move after a successful block!

You know that scene in the office where there is wet cement outside and Michael is looking for suggestions of what to do with it, and kelly suggests putting his hands in the cement and he says "i love it!!!!!" Then jim says he should put his face in it then Michael says "i love it more!!!!" Then turns to the camera and screams "I LOOOOVE IT!!!!!!"

Well i wanted a gif of that last scream, it doesn't exist apparently so instead you get a description of what my reaction would be.

Psxphile

Skill Trees, huh. Coupled with a variant of ReCoded's Stat Matrix, that could be pretty rad.

Except for the Command Deck we never see certain gameplay systems outside of the game they originated in. The designers behind Kingdom Hearts' real-time free-flowing melee combat seem to enjoy coming up with new 'systems' with each new title. I don't expect to see Drive forms back in KH3, but I do expect something similar to take its place, like Command Styles in BBS. And why not, Drive forms were pretty OP. Only BBS's Shotlocks were more devastating (if much shorter in activation time).

We probably won't see summons back either. They were only good in KH1, and just barely.

Would it be crazy to suggest that Square-Enix might invest a bit more into 2.5 ReMix than they did in 1.5 ReMix and actually FULLY REMAKE ReCoded? I mean, for the most part ReCoded is basically a remixed KH1 w/ Command Deck battle upgrade and some dungeon crawling. Would it be completely unheard of to simply reuse the remastered assets from 1.5 to craft a new ReCoded? And would Days fans throw a fit if it came to pass (not that I wouldn't blame them)?

ytS2NQS.png

aravuus

Ended on a better note though.

so untrue man! xiii-2's ending was so good because it wasn't a happy ending. i hated the main characters, can't even remember their names right now because i hate them so much, i wanted to see them suffer and that's what i got. suffering. man it felt good.

kh ddd's ending was just a horrible twist and that's it.

Would it be crazy to suggest that Square-Enix might invest a bit more into 2.5 ReMix than they did in 1.5 ReMix and actually FULLY REMAKE ReCoded? I mean, for the most part ReCoded is basically a remixed KH1 w/ Command Deck battle upgrade and some dungeon crawling. Would it be completely unheard of to simply reuse the remastered assets from 1.5 to craft a new ReCoded? And would Days fans throw a fit if it came to pass (not that I wouldn't blame them)?

Yes and even I wouldn't blame em.

I would throw a fit, and then proceed to play the shit out of that game.

Yes, I'm both a Days AND RE:coded fan. Come at me.

This is not happening... it can't be happening! It can't ;-;

so untrue man! xiii-2's ending was so good because it wasn't a happy ending. i hated the main characters, can't even remember their names right now because i hate them so much, i wanted to see them suffer and that's what i got. suffering. man it felt good.

kh ddd's ending was just a horrible twist and that's it.

It's ending was better because it answered most of the questions that had been asked up until that point, whereas XIII-2 just proceeded to ask more without answering much of anything.

It's like they stopped in the middle of writing the story and just said, "You know what, that's enough for now. They'll get the next one if they want to get any answers." And while, sure, you could say that about the entire KH series, except 1, here it was done in a much better way.

Seda

XIII-2's ending was my favorite part of the narrative in either FFXIII game. And no, not ironically. Hard for me explain why.

I'm not a fan of either game though.

Xux

I went from being annoyed by Xemnas' voice in KH2 to loving it in DDD.

Just straight ham to the max.

Psxphile

Looking at the old ASAS and Deep Dive videos again... why did the KH2 team feel the need to reuse some of those concept script lines in the game? Axel utters the line "What took you so long, Kairi?" at one point and I have no idea what the hell he's referring to (and he would have been the last person I expected to say that).

Looking at the old ASAS and Deep Dive videos again... why did the KH2 team feel the need to reuse some of those concept script lines in the game? Axel utters the line "What took you so long, Kairi?" at one point and I have no idea what the hell he's referring to (and he would have been the last person I expected to say that).

Same reason Peter Jackson needed to put the movie title somewhere in the script in every LOTR movie.

I've been thinking a lil about the future of KH. We all know despite all the jokes that KH3 is coming sooner or later and it will be on consoles and will end the so called ''Xehanort saga''. What is interesting is the future. I think the sales of KH3 will be (obviously) highly infulental how they will go foreward with the series. If the interest is still there I could see them having much more focused effort on the series especially now that SE is trying to cling on anything that makes them money. They are trying to restore the FF brand and while KH isn't exactly in the same situation it does have its own problems. After KH3 what I would hope for is that they would focus on making console games as they seem to intend to. Have them appear frequently enough but with enough dev time to not have any useless spinoffs situations.

When it comes to handhelds I have suggested that they would focus on only 1 line of em and at this point it obviously would be Nintendos. But I wish they would be a separate series with their own storyline ect. Maybe even close to a full reboot to allow using the old disney worlds from a fresh start and this time make a more focused effort on them too. The problem isn't so much KH being on handhelds too, it's the overarching story being in 10000 different platforms.

Does anyone know if the version of Re: Chain of Memories in 1.5 HD Remix has Theater Mode once you beat the game?

Also, if anyone has completed the game and has save data, I can use that (debug PS3's for the win). Thanks.

Does anyone know if the version of Re: Chain of Memories in 1.5 HD Remix has Theater Mode once you beat the game?

Also, if anyone has completed the game and has save data, I can use that (debug PS3's for the win). Thanks.

Yes there is a theater mode.

I don't have a save for you tho, sorry :(.

I would glady give you the save data if the mail service could fucking deliver the game to me. Tomorrow will mark 1 month of waiting, and counting. Play-asia dispatched it in 19/03...

Groof

Yes there is a theater mode.

I don't have a save for you tho, sorry :(.
Your avatar change is very much acceptable this time!

I would glady give you the save data if the mail service could fucking deliver the game to me. Tomorrow will mark 1 month of waiting, and counting. Play-asia dispatched it in 19/03...

Hasn't Play-Asia always been notoriously slow with shipping? I think I had to wait a bit over a month for KH2FM+ back in the day.

Hasn't Play-Asia always been notoriously slow with shipping? I think I had to wait a bit over a month for KH2FM+ back in the day.

I think I waited almost 5 weeks for Tales of Graces F. So yeah, no need to panic wk.
Unfortunately, Play-asia is not the problem, they shipped the game less than a week after I bought it. The problem is Brazil's customs. They decide if your package will get cleared or not based on their mood or something.

FSLink

Banned
Has anybody here who imported beaten KH1 and Re:CoM on KH1.5? And could send me the save? (If there's save protection, I can resign it under my account)

TWILT

Banned
So, I finally got around to starting Dream Drop Distance. Didn't get very far, but fun game thus far! Hope it continues to be fun.

Had the biggest fanboy moment when Neku showed up. :lol

Has anybody here who imported beaten KH1 and Re:CoM on KH1.5? And could send me the save? (If there's save protection, I can resign it under my account)

I was wondering the same thing. I searched online and didn't see any saves. Anyone have a save at various places throughout each of the games?

Editora Abril just announced on facebook that the first volume of the KH manga will be released in Brazil on May 10th!

I can't wait!

They posted a cover scan with the price: 12 BRL, about 6 USD.

Psxphile

kh manga?? what's it supposed to be about?

It's an adaptation of the games. I'm not sure how far they've gotten, last I heard about it they were still working through Days. I'm somewhat shocked it hasn't been localized for North America yet.

TheMink

I own all the ones so far.
The weirdest thing about the mangas is that Sora doesnt summon his keyblade out of thin air. It sits in his belt.

And you shouldn't. There's no justifiable reason for them to take 6 whole months. None. Zilch.

It's not Final Fantasy. If you ask Square, that would be their answer.

Although I don't think Dragon's Crown will be dubbed, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

It's not Final Fantasy. If you ask Square, that would be their answer.

Although I don't think Dragon's Crown will be dubbed, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

But the voice work has been done way before already. And that is only for Days that they had to do it.

I mean I get there is a lot other things after that. But is like, 2 months too much to ask? 4 months? Why do you do this to me SE ;-;

Oh and it will be over 6 months, just wait and see. Last time they had a ''summer release'' for BBS and that was friggin September. And this is a fall release so I fully expect it to release around November ;-;

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just beat the first game (I think I did it before when I was 12). The ending is a real downer... at least there's plenty of sequels and spin-offs to continue the story.

Onto Chain of Memories (GBA) now.
I'll play the remake when I get the HD collection.

KidDork

I've been slogging away, trying to unlock the Ultima Keyblade in BBS. Level 19 in Mirage Arena, have been stuck trying to get past Captain Hook in the Command Boards and 'Harsh Punishment'.

I have known despair.

Some kind souls has been uploading some 1.5 song remixes if you guys are interested.

Dive into the Heart
Destiny Islands
Bustin' Up on the Beach
Night of Fate
Traverse Town
Shrouding Dark Cloud
Precious Stars in the Sky
Blast Away!
Deep Jungle
Having a Wild Time
The Deep End
Squirming Evil
Destiny's Force
Forze del Male
Guardando nel Buio
Disappeared
One-Winged Angel
Dearly Beloved
Dearly Beloved (358/2 Days Version)
Vector to the Heavens
Lord Of The Castle

Ugh. I just want to see what they can cook up with KH3 when they go for a full orchestrated OST right from the getgo. Kingdom Hearts 3 needs to be forged and with it the door to the console war unlocked!

Edit: Some more.

Neverland Sky
Hollow Bastion
Scherzo di Notte
End of the World
Fragments of Sorrow
A Night on Bald Mountain

Just in case someone is interested here are the rest remixes uploaded. I don't think any major tracks are missing anymoar:

Sora's Sacrifice (HIKARI Instrumental Ver.)
Friends in my Heart
Treasured Memories
Kairi I
Kairi II
Kairi III
Welcome to Wonderland
To Our Surprise
Olympus Coliseum
Go For It!
Under the Sea
An Adventure in Atlantica
This is Halloween
Spooks of Halloween Town
This is Halloween -Soft Ver.- (secret best track since it plays like 30 secs in the game)
Shipmeisters' Humoresque
Holy Bananas!
Piece of Peace
Always On My Mind
Destati -Second Version-

Psxphile

But the voice work has been done way before already. And that is only for Days that they had to do it.

I mean I get there is a lot other things after that. But is like, 2 months too much to ask? 4 months? Why do you do this to me SE ;-;

Oh and it will be over 6 months, just wait and see. Last time they had a ''summer release'' for BBS and that was friggin September. And this is a fall release so I fully expect it to release around November ;-;

Can we be absolutely sure that whatever localization work that needs to be done for 1.5 wouldn't take 6 months? The only explanations that I can come up with is that the localization team might need to re-do all the lip-synch to match the English audio, if for some reason they were unable to utilize the work they did 10 years ago on PS2. But if true, that would be pretty bad planning on the part of Squeenix's port team... not that it isn't unheard for the Japanese to pile on the difficulty for their overseas branches.

Realistically, I feel it's more the fault of their marketing department:

"When can you have the game ready?"
"For the honor of Square-Enix localization team 'Gamma'? I'll bet we can have it ready in 2 months!"
"Hm, no... that would put it squarely in summer. We need something to boost our 4th quarter earnings. Make it 6 months."

Top Bottom