• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I had one of my English-savvy girls read an article I wrote about SAO and why it sucked balls, and despite agreeing with everything I said, she was still all "But the female characters are so cute! And Kirito is so cool!"

I can't win.
I hope that by "article" you mean firehawk's legendary tirade.

Moonlight

Banned
I had one of my English-savvy girls read an article I wrote about SAO and why it sucked balls, and despite agreeing with everything I said, she was still all "But the female characters are so cute! And Kirito is so cool!"

I can't win.
Keep fighting the good fight, man. They'll understand one day.

Humanity Has Declined 11

Kind of dull episode. The three kids constantly showing up did get me to laugh. Red hair best one,hope we see him and the others again.
I thought someone would be revealed as the bully mastermind.

Syrinx

XmykSvt.jpg

XmykSvt.jpg

XmykSvt.jpg

XmykSvt.jpg

survivor

Banned
Aiura 3

I just realized all the voice actors in this anime are new and this is their first anime. No wonder why all their voices felt so odd.

wonzo

Banned
Fans of animation should check out this amazing trailer for the comic book Kairos by the French studio La Cachette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoU0jwUDq74.

I would pay big bucks to see a film in this style.
Holy shit.

I think I'll just rewatch the original series instead.

I'm oooooooooooold on this, but w/e:

ILC SEFURI

---

http://i.imgur.com/fY1njjL.gif
http://i.imgur.com/mWRteBx.gif

It has two cute highschool girls big bang'ing at the end.
this was pretty cool but I can't help but feel as if I've seen that teacher somewhere before...

Oh it's that dude, lol.

Tenumi

Banned
So, I keep hearing everybody everywhere talking about how great of a show it is, and how well liked it has been, so I figured I'd give it a peek. Without further adieu...

Chihayafuru Season 1: 01

Its... um... Pretty. Really don't know how else to describe it. In a way, it kind of felt cinematic, probably something to do with the music. I liked that I really didn't need to know much about Karuta beforehand to understand how it works. I'll give the next couple episodes a watch soon, but the first definitely left a good impression.

Syrinx

Blood-C 11

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of all that is holy in the world, THIS WAS THE FUCKING TRUMAN SHOW WITH BLOOD AND GORE! WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?!

And everybody was a fucking actor! Hell, the whole fucking town was a set. DID YOU FUCKING READ THAT?! THEY CREATED A WHOLE FUCKING TOWN AS THE SET TO THIS EXPERIMENT! Oh, and Saya's some inhuman creature...thing, being researched by the government. And the Elder Bairns are real and killed everybody else in the town. Or they never existed. Whatever, does it even matter at this point?

And Cafe dude was the head of the whole thing. I got bad vibes from him. But this is too much. Oh, and did I mention that Saya would DRINK THE FUCKING BLOOD OF THE ELDER BAIRNS SHE KILLED WHILE YOU WEREN'T LOOKING?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I'm not mad. I'm really not mad. Even if I were mad I would lie and say I was not mad because if I was mad then that would give some sick enjoyment out of you people who got the idea to say I should watch this. But I'm not mad. So it doesn't matter.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

See? Look how not mad I am!

Mushibugyo Episode 3

Koikawa's backstory was really tragic with how his mother, who was the only person he cared about, always warned him never to kill. The sad twist comes when he goes berserk as she dies and the last thing she sees him doing was the one thing she warned him never to. Thankfully, Jinbei's there to help and provide him with encouragement as his student, whom I really don't mind being in a master-student relationship so long as he properly learns to use his sword better.

I feel the need to post this somewhere, and AnimeGAF is the only place that gets me.

I just taught a combined class of 90 5th grade Japanese kids in a big gymnasium. It was basically 45 minutes of me skipping around with children while singing this and exchanging name cards.

What is my life.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru Episode 2 -

Is the MC somehow GAF Incarnate?

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru Episode 3 -

A boy
that looks like a girl and obviously likes MC?

jCFgXZc.gif

I also wanted to post this gif just because I liked it and it made me lol

tumblr_lyc1nr4F8A1rn95k2o1_500.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Blood-C 11

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of all that is holy in the world, THIS WAS THE FUCKING TRUMAN SHOW WITH BLOOD AND GORE! WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?!

And everybody was a fucking actor! Hell, the whole fucking town was a set. DID YOU FUCKING READ THAT?! THEY CREATED A WHOLE FUCKING TOWN AS THE SET TO THIS EXPERIMENT! Oh, and Saya's some inhuman creature...thing, being researched by the government. And the Elder Bairns are real and killed everybody else in the town. Or they never existed. Whatever, does it even matter at this point?

And Cafe dude was the head of the whole thing. I got bad vibes from him. But this is too much. Oh, and did I mention that Saya would DRINK THE FUCKING BLOOD OF THE ELDER BAIRNS SHE KILLED WHILE YOU WEREN'T LOOKING?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I'm not mad. I'm really not mad. Even if I were mad I would lie and say I was not mad because if I was mad then that would give some sick enjoyment out of you people who got the idea to say I should watch this. But I'm not mad. So it doesn't matter.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

See? Look how not mad I am!

Relax. Have a guimauve.

I feel the need to post this somewhere, and AnimeGAF is the only place that gets me.

I just taught a combined class of 90 5th grade Japanese kids in a big gymnasium. It was basically 45 minutes of me skipping around with children while singing this and exchanging name cards.

What is my life.

Please tell me you did that dance too.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

What is my life.

That sounds amazing. Man I love it when you post your experiences. :D

Trojita

What is my life.

That video has 7 million views?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aim For The Top! Gunbuster] 3 (Rewatch)
I did not find Smith's inclusion in the plot as jarring as the first time. I think, however, that them playing the romantic angle was probably a bad choice, since it colours Noriko's
reaction to his assumed death
as too shoujoesque.
Noriko's sudden longing for him had more to do with Kazumi's disapproval of her abilities as a Weapon Machine user, with our protagonist latching on to Smith because of their similar states at the Exellion as solo pilots. It's also important to note that Smith is, for all intents and purposes, the closest thing Noriko has to a friend like Kimiko back on Earth. Kazumi remains as distant as ever, and Freud might as well be window dressing at this point in the story
The one thing this episode did very well, on the other hand, was show the tension of facing an unknown. Or rather, not showing.
I had forgot that you don't actually see the space monsters until the very last shot. Noriko's first sortie is a very claustrophobic experience, the horror of the weight of battle not shown until she returns to the Exellion through some gratuitous robot gore.
Pretty neat stuff.
Is it me or do the Weapon Machines look very Eva-esque in this shot? Maybe Nadia episode 39? Not like anatomically suggestive robots originated at GAINAX, admittedly.

P.S. YAAAAAAAAAY! FANSERVICE!!

jgminto

What is my life.

That sounds like some kind of weird lucid dream. To be in primary school again.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dunno how you'd keep track of the 50+ groups you must be part of for every series; I could never manage that much.

Well I join every group but some of the redundant ones post it multiple times so it crowds up to the top. Other times I use Animepaw. So it varies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PROBABLY SUPER PETTY CRAP BUT I DON'T CARE
Surely calling warp travel "faster than light travel" isn't technically correct? What you are doing here is folding space in order to get from point A to point B faster than light would do if such space were unfolded, but you aren't actually navigating any quicker than you were in your initial point of reference? In fact, light surrounding you is traveling at the same speed as usual! It just so happens that you both are taking a shortcut.

Then again, if that were the case then the characters in this story shouldn't be suffering from all those time dilation shenanigans.

Trojita

[Aim For The Top! Gunbuster] 3 (Rewatch)

I did not find Smith's inclusion in the plot as jarring as the first time. I think, however, that them playing the romantic angle was probably a bad choice, since it colours Noriko's
reaction to his assumed death
as too shoujoesque.
Noriko's sudden longing for him had more to do with Kazumi's disapproval of her abilities as a Weapon Machine user, with our protagonist latching on to Smith because of their similar states at the Exellion as solo pilots. It's also important to note that Smith is, for all intents and purposes, the closest thing Noriko has to a friend like Kimiko back on Earth. Kazumi remains as distant as ever, and Freud might as well be window dressing at this point in the story

The one thing this episode did very well, on the other hand, was show the tension of facing an unknown. Or rather, not showing.
I had forgot that you don't actually see the space monsters until the very last shot. Noriko's first sortie is a very claustrophobic experience, the horror of the weight of battle not shown until she returns to the Exellion through some gratuitous robot gore.
Pretty neat stuff.

Is it me or do the Weapon Machines look very Eva-esque in this shot? Maybe Nadia episode 39? Not like anatomically suggestive robots originated at GAINAX, admittedly.

P.S. YAAAAAAAAAY! FANSERVICE!!

Isn't Gunbuster by Gainax?

Theonik

Surely calling warp travel "faster than light travel" isn't technically correct? What you are doing here is folding space in order to get from point A to point B faster than light would do if such space were unfolded, but you aren't actually navigating any quicker than you were in your initial point of reference? In fact, light surrounding you is traveling at the same speed as usual! It just so happens that you both are taking a shortcut.

Then again, if that were the case then the characters in this story shouldn't be suffering from all those time dilation shenanigans.
Relativity dawg, they are traveling at their regular near light speeds but from the point of a stationary observer they would appear to travel faster than light.
As for the time dilation point, that's kind of the point with
Noriko's 10,000 year break. Gunbuster can't warp so it takes them 10,000 years relative to the earth's experience of time to get back whereas the Super Excelion can warp, taking a significantly shorter amount of time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Isn't Gunbuster by Gainax?
Same director as Evangelion, even.
Relativity dawg, they are traveling at their regular near light speeds but from the point of a stationary observer they would appear to travel faster than light.
As for the time dilation point, that's kind of the point with
Noriko's 10,000 year break. Gunbuster can't warp so it takes them 10,000 years relative to the earth's experience of time to get back whereas the Super Excelion can warp, taking a significantly shorter amount of time.
I forgot they are always traveling near light speed in this show.

OceanBlue

Aiura - 3

DTsJj5I.gif

why is this only 3 min D:

(wow, i surely can't make gifs without them looking like shit)

Well, I guess I'm picking up two 3-minute series after exams are over. I might as well check out Yama no Susume as well.

What is my life.

Lol. The wonders of being an elementary school teacher in a foreign country.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo

I'm not going to post in the primary eva thread cuz I dont' want to get bashed by multiple hardcore eva fanatics. Plus I'd rather be surrounded by people who know me than not.

Personally, I didn't think this movie was very good. I would say the breakdown of the movie is so concrete that there you can actually see the segmentation. It's extremely jarring. It's like watching the stereotypical chickflick segmentation right before your eyes. Rather than seamlessly weave you into the experience, I felt like they had multiple ideas set up and then tried to sow them together to make one narrative/movie. It's unwieldy.

This is mostly going to be story by the way. I found the movie extremely boring. It's hard to care about a character, in this case Shinji, who sort of regressed back to his confused state, proceeds to make mistakes time and time again, and self-pity himself. It's painful. However, this isn't even the worst part. Having watched
Gargantia episode 3 and this sort of around the same time frame made me realize how stupid everyone's anger is. While justified that everyone has the right to be angry with Shinji I find it idiotic. He went to go save Aynami in 2.22 and then ended up causing the Third Impact without his knowledge. You are adults. You have a right to be angry with how things turned out. Hell, I'd be angry too. To vent it on someone who was technically responsible but didn't mean to cause the Third Impact with all of its atrocities is another thing. I think it's easy to pin the blame and target on Shinji. I feel extremely sorry for him because he was trying to do something right and ended up getting shafted for it. Misato and Asuka as a result suck in this movie. I'm sure others will disagree and try to rationalize their behavior. I have too. I understand their point. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I think the part that annoyed me the most about this movie was that it was massive infodump. You know when you're watching like a series and sometimes there's that one episode delegated to infodumping? Like... in Legend of Korra, that penultimate episode was a super infodump? This movie felt like that. I don't know... something about that was just offputting. Rather than slowly easing in the audience to learning stuff, this movie is sort of a just "here's what happened. here's everything explained. the end." Maybe some of yall will feel differently. This is just how I viewed it.

I thought much of the movie has me enjoying less because of the liberal jargon and technicality throwings going on but honestly after thinking about it, I don't think this is the case. I thoroughly enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22. There was quite a bit of stuff I didn't fully understand cuz I didn't know the technical stuff but I understood sort of where it was coming from. Here, this isn't the case.

Meh. I'm sure there's more I can say but... I don't know... w/e. I'll read other's posts and try to have a discussion.

Trojita

Well, I guess I'm picking up two 3-minute series after exams are over. I might as well check out Yama no Susume as well.

Lol. The wonders of being an elementary school teacher in a foreign country.

Unless I'm watching Yuyushiki in a dimensional vortex where time doesn't work the same as it normally does, it's a full length anime episode, not 3 minutes long.

Maunder Minimum
Death to the opponent.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Light is always traveling at the same speed, provided it's not explicitly slowed down by having to travel through something. That's the point of special relativity, also stated with "the laws of physics remain the same in all inertial reference frames". The reason you can't construct a sort of booster rocket to make it go faster is that in such a situation the flow of time changes to make the speed what it would be if you were just sitting on your ass at home.

Back to your point, though, you're probably right. It's a shame especially when so few stories incorporate it, although the ending never really made sense in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom