• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

Woffls

If this is true, they've brought this on themselves by not keeping Game Studios healthy, stagnating first party franchises, and relying too heavily on third parties to keep their platform viable. I've never had this particular concern for Sony or Nintendo.

I severely doubt they will delay the launch just for some games to come together. All they need is Call of Duty this year and they've done enough. I just hope the games are given time and not rushed because everyone will have a lot to play at the end of this year anyway so who gives a shit...

I think a panic mode MS could be a very dangerous thing for Sony.

The last time Sony came one on one with a panicked 1th party was the 3DS and panic mode Nintendo killed the vita with MH4 and a price drop.

Who knows what damage MS could do if they felt the pressure. Things could get real dicey real fast. Sony should get shit locked down while they have the chance.

I don't think MS is in any type of "Panic" mode right now. Even if this is true its not really unexpected with new hardware. PS3 went through the same thing. They will likely have it ironed out in time.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I planned to post a similar message but was grilled, again :p

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push that was deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late for a November launch than Nintendo and their Wii U, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

It's troubling, i hope they will launch fully fledged and major-issues-free systems come November.

avaya

Hardware running too hot means...

1. They have more in there than we know
2. Bumped the clocks up
3. Gone for cheap cooling
4. Maybe it's a small chassis.

Can't believe a 1.2TF GPU + 8 Jaguar's is going to be tough to cool...

Toki767

Well it seems many forget that Sony is a Hardware company first content company second.
If this is true MS may delay to next spring.

They aren't going to delay into next spring. They probably should, but they aren't going to.

I just want to ask something that I've noticed

nobody ever doubts buttocks info, I know I don't. but why does crazy buttocks on a train always type like he is just one drink shy of a 24 pack? Is this just something people don't ask, a hard-and-fast rule like not talkin' about Fight Club?
Two reasons:

-It is harder to find his posts via Google and NeoGAF search, so it stays here most of the time
-Many posters and no journo is taking him seriously, further securing his cover

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's just my opinion.

I don't think that's the focus of their announcement. If anything, they may demo NUI/Kinect, but they won't be doing full out game demos like you would expect from E3. I expect a lot more talk than show, especially considering how they've said E3 will focus on the launch lineup means they've probably blocked off most of that time for demos and most of May 21st for all the other stuff (specs, philosophy, integration, TV, capabilities, etc.).

I wonder what exclusives they are trying to secure. They're not getting CoD thats for sure, but I have a feeling they got something with EA thats not BF4. They can't be getting the huge titles like any Bethesda elder scrolls games or something as high profile that sells millions on competing hardware.

MS going for 3rd party, Sony doubling up their 1st party. Sony is going to be getting 2 exclusives per every split dev team they have:

2 Santa Monica Teams
2 Naughty Dog Teams
2 Quantic Dream Teams
2 Guerrilla Games Teams

maybe Sucker Punch is next?

Sucker Punch is first party for Sony now.

TheOddOne

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late than Nintendo for their Wii U, at roughly the same time schedule, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

It's troubling, i hope they will launch fully fledged and major-issues-free systems come November.
Well, this thread is going places.

Reiko

Banned
Hardware running too hot means...

1. They have more in there than we know
2. Bumped the clocks up
3. Gone for cheap cooling
4. Maybe it's a small chassis.

Can't believe a 1.2TF GPU + 8 Jaguar's is going to be tough to cool...

Hint: Beta kits are said to be hot.

Alpha kits were never stated to be hot from what I know.

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late for a November launch than Nintendo and their Wii U, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

Sony too? Not surprised. Some of this stuff isn't quite ready yet.

The 360 was a lucky bet from microsoft. They played current-gen well but their luck will run out very soon and I for am nothing but happy for this. The sooner money grabbing shit-bag companies like MS start deteriorating the better. Maybe they can take some ques from sony about how to handle VIDEO GAMES instead of trying to turn VIDEO GAME consoles into "entertainment boxes"

Nothing wrong with putting entertaining content into the consoles, but don't try to piss on us and start calling it rain. I am so fucking sick and tired of microsofts antics. Like for christ's sake there are NOTHING but advertisements on the 360 dashboard AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR LIVE. It's time that we start teaching them a lesson with our wallets, because once that happens they will have to depend on us for sales instead of depending on them for video games.

Like, I just want to play video games. Fuck.

What a rotten shit attitude. You think Sony's resurgence is an accident? No, it's because they got their teeth kicked in and were fucking arrogant. MS brought their A game this gen. Now Sony upped theirs in response. Competition is good. If it weren't Microsoft pissing on you it would be some other company if there was no competition.

derFeef

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late for a November launch than Nintendo and their Wii U, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

Ugh... seems like nextgen may not get smoothly.

thuway

4/5 months ago Kotaku's sources told them that Microsoft was "on the mark", while Sony "appears to inspire less confidence".

What happened?

Stephen Trolltillo wrote the article. The reality is, confidence was actually 8 GB of memory. Developer's will choose a less powerful GPU with more memory, every damn day of the week. Sony upped the RAM, and dev's are happy again.

As for Reiko in disbelief, Microsoft has very strong guidelines and stress tests they put their machine under. This isn't a joke where they shit something out. This information is old though, nearly two months old, one week after the PS4 conference, so things might have improved substantially.

Dlacy13g

I can see this being true. MS realizing some of their "launch" window 1st party games just weren't good and decided they could can them or reboot the development and cover for those games by signing up a few 3rd party exclusives. Hell it may even be cheaper for MS to have gone that route.

iMax

Microsoft won't be doing any live demos or anything on May 21st. People are not hyped for that because it's going to be a vision statement kind of thing for the Xbox brand. Plus it's not like MS is beyond faking live demos or anything. I expect it to be less games-centric than the PS4 reveal.

This is a big problem for E3 which occurs shortly after, and for devs who have to deal with this shit.

It seems Microsoft begs to differ...

ekim

Mods, if this offends you, please tell me to delete this shit, the bird can't take another ban.

A few months ago, I spoke to someone familiar with the situation over at MS.

I kept pandering him for performance numbers and how well it translates into what we see on screen. I wanted to know if anything had changed from the leaked specs we had in the original PDF floating around.

A week after the PS4 press conference he cracked and admitted that beta kits were running hotter than they wanted. He claimed the teams is experiencing headaches trying to get all the pieces to fit together in a timely fashion. The last thing he told me was, "Performance, at this moment, is the least of our concerns."

I know this sounds like some sort of fanfic, but I am sure someone or the other can back me up on if they have the courage to do so.

Also, temper your expectations for Ryse. The animation system is supposedly janky. It's not a Kinnect title only btw, it has been converted into a full featured AAA game so that is something atleast.

This was the primary reason why third parties didn't get beta kits timely and thus causing software delays. As those devs now have the kits I assume MS was at least able to fix the heating problem.

Dabanton

What a rotten shit attitude. You think Sony's resurgence is an accident? No, it's because they got their teeth kicked in and were fucking arrogant. MS brought their A game this gen. Now Sony upped theirs in response. Competition is good. If it weren't Microsoft pissing on you it would be some other company if there was no competition.

His lost to the fanboy wars.

To have that kind of thinking is frankly insane some gamers seem to have very short memories.

What the hell does he know over some poster on a gaming forum :p

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late than Nintendo for their Wii U, at roughly the same time schedule, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

Sony and MS behind Nintendo? Would never expect to hear this from IdeaMan!

Reiko

Banned
Stephen Trolltillo wrote the article. The reality is, confidence was actually 8 GB of memory. Developer's will choose a less powerful GPU with more memory, every damn day of the week. Sony upped the RAM, and dev's are happy again.

As for Reiko in disbelief, Microsoft has very strong guidelines and stress tests they put their machine under. This isn't a joke where they shit something out. This information is old though, nearly two months old, one week after the PS4 conference, so things might have improved substantially.

I've heard this info about 2 months ago. You're not the only one that can hold a secret;)

Or not. lol

This is pretty huge. Yo tell me though, I heard from someone from someone that Sony finalized their PS4 spec last year and have been quick to get them in production for a while, is this true?

My understanding (and I know people in software, not hardware...) is that they did infact have dev kits out early, as was Cerny's "developers first" focus, and that even the first dev kits had 8gb of gddr5... but they told developers that they final specs weren't locked down and that it could be as low as four.

Supposedly Cerny made a huge push in the lead up to the PS4 reveal to bump it to 8 to make a huge splash. By this time the rumors were already rampant that Microsoft were making a kinect/entertainment box and they saw this as a huge opportunity (ironically, considering the ps3 "only does everything"). The target price for the PS4 from the outset was between $299 and $399. Now, i've mentioned this before and people jumped down my throat saying "NO WAY IT WILL BE $299 DUDE!" Yeah, no shit, and they may not even make the $399 end of their goal, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a goal. And I guess the concession made was to drop the playstation eye from being in the box to being a day one peripheral to offset the ram costs... which i'm hoping is true because fuck a Kinect Jr.

Kimawolf

Can't MS just moneyhat their way out?

And about Sony: they seem cushiony with indie devs, but MS has the biggest one: Minecraft.

I can't imagine that Sony wouldn't secure MC, especially for VITA.

Anyways, if this turns into a moneyhatting war, it'd be interesting. But MS surely has the power there...right?

Whoa.

So, what happens?

MS forces another early release, or they lose console exclusive opportunities?

If Sony gets a headstart in the U.S. it's over...

Polished and well designed PSN Brand
PSN value
Americanized exclusives/multiplats
Indie games
F2P?
Japanese megatons?

Anyone think it's possible for MS to play catch up successfully?

I can't believe MS didn't use their time on top to develop more internal studios. Sony fostered some decent names last gen, and some have really grown this gen:

Sucker Punch
Naughty Dog
Quantic Dream
Guerilla Games

Mind you, they also destroyed guys like Zipper.

Well MS can definitely moneyhat their way out, BUT the console division has other tigers to answer to who may not WANT to spend more money on the project. they've accomplished their goal, Xbox is a global brand, worldwide recognition, and is ready to be positioned as their media box. I am sure they told the game guys to watch their steps and purse strings.

Hmmm... i will not buy MS's next gen offering in the early years of its life span if they're running behind schedule... RROD fiasco comes to mind...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So misterx insider was right, because he just explained the same thing, but with a lil more details. He even speaks of a delay probably. I know you guys don't like him, but it does back up what thuway just brought up.

Don't believe me, read towards the end of the illimiroom stuff.

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/123574.html#comments
How am I supposed to read this?

What the hell am I reading?

I never suggested it wouldn't include games though.

statham

I've heard the same things. But it also concerns to a lesser extent the PS4, which is far from being as smooth/ready, especially regarding dev kits, as the efficient public relation push that was deployed since February leads enthusiast crowds to believe. I've been told than the two are even more late for a November launch than Nintendo and their Wii U, considering that Big N were themselves as i reported on several WUSTs in rush mode.

hot damn.

The 360 was a lucky bet from microsoft. They played current-gen well but their luck will run out very soon and I for am nothing but happy for this. The sooner money grabbing shit-bag companies like MS start deteriorating the better. Maybe they can take some ques from sony about how to handle VIDEO GAMES instead of trying to turn VIDEO GAME consoles into "entertainment boxes"

Nothing wrong with putting entertaining content into the consoles, but don't try to piss on us and start calling it rain. I am so fucking sick and tired of microsofts antics. Like for christ's sake there are NOTHING but advertisements on the 360 dashboard AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR LIVE. It's time that we start teaching them a lesson with our wallets, because once that happens they will have to depend on us for sales instead of depending on them for video games.

Like, I just want to play video games. Fuck.

Yeah and Nintendo got lucky with the NES rolleyes.gif

MS's online stuff needs to change, but all of that has nothing whatsoever to do with these supposed delays. AT ALL. So am not sure what on earth is relevant from the above.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
How am I supposed to read this?

What the hell am I reading?

It's performance art in console fanboy format.
It's the only rational explanation for the drivel on that site.

I personally don't believe this, because if this was true, why is the news JUST coming out, and why are Microsoft willing to show the Xbox so early already. They already plan to show the system and some games off in May, and show all the games at E3.

Honestly, MS too me is coming off as the most confident. They're being quiet about the whole thing, not letting anything bother them. They're coming off as the guy who doesn't need to speak tough, because he knows his actions will prove him right.

Spongebob

Banned

Not if the memory is significantly slower.

Top Bottom