• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

I've heard this as well from someone [Which I shall not name] on here. Via PM of course.

thuway's information really does line up with the reason why the reveal got pushed back to May 21st, and why Microsoft had recent job openings for hardware engineers.

Development schedule is wonky, huh....I should pester my friend for some more info about that.

We're taking in random forum member's posts as insider gospel now?

Some people in this forum have a lot more connections to the industry than you think. :p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Microsoft ship is sinking, while sony is rising like the angel they are.

Rise, Rise, Rise!

tumblr_m4njl6jhGW1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

Gestault

Useless first party and moneyhats huh. Not sure how Microsoft being in this industry benefits anyone any more.

I can think of several:

They fund and promote project development, with capital which wouldn't otherwise be in the industry. They were at the forefront of real investment in digital distribution space, with distinct branding and marketing environments. They've worked harder than any other platform holder for a minimum base-level standardized development environments/toolsets. From the very beginning they were actually willing to push for online connectivity when others didn't value the investment. Current efforts are a continuation of that process. They also were at the forefront for secondary services like Netflix as part of the console entertainment value, which has manifestly fed to the benefit of the industry.

This is in addition to franchises which, despite your feelings about them individually or the state of more recent releases, have greatly pushed their respective genres forward, even if simply through encouraging competition. They've *persistent backed indie titles* in a curatorial sense. It's no coincidence that Microsoft backed some of the highest-rated indie titles on xbox first. I understand there are vocal detractors among indie developers who've worked with the studios, but taken as a whole, those efforts were still among the earliest and most successful among the platform-holders.

Salaadin

Perhaps he has a typical cadence to his real-world speech/communcation that typing in such a manner makes his actual identity beyond deduction.

I like to assume that hes some guy in a closet somewhere listening in on insider conversations and then hurriedly typing up posts on his cell phone and not caring about how they turn out.

I wonder what exclusives they are trying to secure. They're not getting CoD thats for sure, but I have a feeling they got something with EA thats not BF4. They can't be getting the huge titles like any Bethesda elder scrolls games or something as high profile that sells millions on competing hardware.

MS going for 3rd party, Sony doubling up their 1st party. Sony is going to be getting 2 exclusives per every split dev team they have:

2 Santa Monica Teams
2 Naughty Dog Teams
2 Quantic Dream Teams
2 Guerrilla Games Teams

maybe Sucker Punch is next?

Mik_Pad

Banned

Rise, Rise, Rise!
Where is the Reggie_whatswrongwithyou.gif when you need it. Damn lol.

Edit: beaten lol.

And the answer was...

Nothing? I don't know if thuway is legit, but I really think we can't trust any "source", Microsoft is keeping all things too secretive, maybe his "sources" have old information, maybe his sources got wrong information (his source don't seem like a main source) or whatever.

Elginer

Rise, Rise, Rise!
Bro, you're really into this console war stuff huh?
Gotta laugh that read in my head as it it was spoken by Cobra Commander.

MCD

"If anyone will not fuck up the hardware reliability for next gen, it's Microsoft"

I remember someone saying that a long time ago. It makes so much sense. How could MS have trouble? Isn't this the #1 thing they should have watched for?

Is Kinect 2.0 just intensive? Does it pose unique design challenges?

How can they have trouble with some laptop APU made by AMD is the better question.

I need to know how a 1.2TFLOP GPU is hot. Unless something has changed...
who knows what else is in that box though! I'd imagine most of the specs are set in stone.

Yeah thing is MS can definitely be much more aggressive than Sony if they choose so.
do they care enough though? They'd have to pony up SERIOUS money to secure big time exclusives by any significant number, and that's even if the 3rd parties are willing.

I think a panic mode MS could be a very dangerous thing for Sony.

The last time Sony came one on one with a panicked 1th party was the 3DS and panic mode Nintendo killed the vita with MH4 and a price drop.

Who knows what damage MS could do if they felt the pressure. Things could get real dicey real fast. Sony should get shit locked down while they have the chance.

Volotaire

Mods, if this offends you, please tell me to delete this shit, the bird can't take another ban.

A few months ago, I spoke to someone familiar with the situation over at MS.

I kept pandering him for performance numbers and how well it translates into what we see on screen. I wanted to know if anything had changed from the leaked specs we had in the original PDF floating around.

A week after the PS4 press conference he cracked and admitted that beta kits were running hotter than they wanted. He claimed the teams is experiencing headaches trying to get all the pieces to fit together in a timely fashion. The last thing he told me was, "Performance, at this moment, is the least of our concerns."

I know this sounds like some sort of fanfic, but I am sure someone or the other can back me up on if they have the courage to do so.

Also, temper your expectations for Ryse. The animation system is supposedly janky. It's not a Kinnect title only btw, it has been converted into a full featured AAA game so that is something atleast.

Strange, if true, would have thought they would have learned their lessons in respect to system performance.

Hana-Bi

thuway's information really does line up with the primary factor to why the reveal got pushed back to May 21st, and why Microsoft had recent job openings for hardware engineers.

Development schedule is wonky, huh....I should pester my friend for some more info about that.

Don't know what a one month delay could fix if the problems are as big as they sound.

This sounds just bad... :(

Tom Penny

Highly unlikely they don't know what they are doing since they have had great success launching consoles previously. More baseless speculation.

AngryMoth

I can see a lot of megaton 3rd party exclusives being announced at E3 this year. Going back to square one on install bases makes it a viable strategy again, and Microsoft in particular has shown in the past they are willing to spend the money.

Fucking hate it, don't want to miss out on great games and there's no way I can buy both next gen systems

Mods, if this offends you, please tell me to delete this shit, the bird can't take another ban.

A few months ago, I spoke to someone familiar with the situation over at MS.

I kept pandering him for performance numbers and how well it translates into what we see on screen. I wanted to know if anything had changed from the leaked specs we had in the original PDF floating around.

A week after the PS4 press conference he cracked and admitted that beta kits were running hotter than they wanted. He claimed the teams is experiencing headaches trying to get all the pieces to fit together in a timely fashion. The last thing he told me was, "Performance, at this moment, is the least of our concerns."

I know this sounds like some sort of fanfic, but I am sure someone or the other can back me up on if they have the courage to do so.

Also, temper your expectations for Ryse. The animation system is supposedly janky. It's not a Kinnect title only btw, it has been converted into a full featured AAA game so that is something atleast.

It's a game made by Crytek. If that fact alone doesn't temper your excitement, nothing will. I don't think any of their games are remotely any good.

Thanks for the information.

This probably contributed to the April to May 21 delay.

This is an absolute clusterfuck. An hour ago the delay was to add a touch pad like the one on the PS4 controller to the durango controller, before that it was because the 8GB GDDR5 RAM caught them by surprise, and before that it was to make sure they had an actual console to show.

Now its because software is behind 6 months. I don't know what to believe anymore:/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What Thuway said cant be true if MS are gonna reveal the system in may te 21st...

Then again, that could be more of a "what we expect" more than an actual reveal, a bit liek SONYs reveal but less revealing ( in terms of hardware, games)
Microsoft won't be doing any live demos or anything on May 21st. People are not hyped for that because it's going to be a vision statement kind of thing for the Xbox brand. Plus it's not like MS is beyond faking live demos or anything. I expect it to be less games-centric than the PS4 reveal.

This is a big problem for E3 which occurs shortly after, and for devs who have to deal with this shit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is an absolute clusterfuck. An hour ago the delay was to add a touch pad like the one on the PS4 controller to the durango controller, before that it was because the 8GB GDDR5 RAM caught them by surprise, and before that it was to make sure they had an actual console to show.

Now its because software is behind 6 months. I don't know what to believe anymore:/
Everything.

I've always found it a little crazy that a company as big as Microsoft can have so little in terms of first party developers. They have 343, Lionhead, Turn10, the mess that is Rare, and a bunch of Kinect/shovel ware crap.

They do have new studios other than those. The problem seems to be that their games are nowhere close to being ready, not that they don't exist.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I need to know how a 1.2TFLOP GPU is hot. Unless something has changed...

Easy, lackluster cooling solution, poor system internal design or any number of reasons.

Even at 1.2 TFLOPs its a hellishly powerful chip and will need significant cooling and they need to do that quietly for living room technology, that in itself is quite an engineering challenge.

Highly unlikely they don't know what they are doing since they have had great success launching consoles previously. More baseless speculation.

Well, previous console generations before the 360 saw average return rates of 5% to 9%, What was the returns rate due to RROD for the 360 again? Yeah.... Great success! :p

SPDIF

4/5 months ago Kotaku's sources told them that Microsoft was "on the mark", while Sony "appears to inspire less confidence".

What happened?

The source within this rumor doesn't make sense. Considering how secretive Microsoft has been with their next console, the only people who would have access to such are individuals with clout within Microsoft. I'm having difficulty coming up with a person who would have information on both Microsoft and Sony first party software operations.

Not really, If MSFT wants to launch this year developers need access to the machine in progress, so the secretive cannot remain forever.

another thing you shoulknw abuot

BLACK TUSK IS behind indevlopment. schedul.e

The prophet has spoken!!!

Cidd

"If anyone will not fuck up the hardware reliability for next gen, it's Microsoft"

I remember someone saying that a long time ago. It makes so much sense. How could MS have trouble? Isn't this the #1 thing they should have watched for?

Is Kinect 2.0 just intensive? Does it pose unique design challenges?

Well it seems many forget that Sony is a Hardware company first content company second.
If this is true MS may delay to next spring.

Top Bottom