• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Loved playing all of these games on my Wii, but I finally have a powerful enough desktop that I think I can emulate everything perfectly -- the question is, which games run flawlessly (if any)? I'd love to play the Zelda or Mario games again jaggifree, but don't want to pay the price with odd bugs...

Then emulation is not for you my friend. You can reduce the chances of glitches by using LLE for audio, and not scaling the games... but the former still takes a pretty beefy machine on some games and the latter removes "jaggy free" criteria.

Most games will run perfect or near perfect 95%+ of the time, but playing games how they aren't designed to be played will cause graphic issues from time to time.

elektrixx

Banned
Loved playing all of these games on my Wii, but I finally have a powerful enough desktop that I think I can emulate everything perfectly -- the question is, which games run flawlessly (if any)? I'd love to play the Zelda or Mario games again jaggifree, but don't want to pay the price with odd bugs...

Skyward Sword is almost perfect.

PGamer

fucking juniors

http://dolphin-emu.org/compat/

The games marked as five stars should be perfectly playable.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I run Skies of Arcadia on my Nvidia card without many visual glitches (although it run like ass) but now trying it on my 7970 half the graphics are black voids. I found online something about some Bloom option but I can't find it, maybe it's been renamed as the information was for older versions? Hmm, Skies only has 3 stars in the compatibility list so it will probably still run badly on my new PC...

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea how this would perform on a Razer Edge Pro tablet?

Here are the specs:
Processor Intel Core i7 Dual core w/ Hyper Threading, Base 1.9GHz / Turbo 3.0GHz
Memory 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB 1600MHz)
Video Intel HD4000 (DX11)
NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology)

Is there a Dolphin build that is best for performance (rather than compatibility)? Iirc release 3.0 was faster than others. Is that still the case?

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is there a way to get Eternal Darkness running in widescreen? It has a 16:9 toggle in the options screen but it just seems to squish the image.

Have you tried selecting Force 16:9 in the Dolphin graphics settings? I know that's what you need to do to get proper widescreen for F-Zero GX at least.

Any idea how this would perform on a Razer Edge Pro tablet?

Here are the specs:
Processor Intel Core i7 Dual core w/ Hyper Threading, Base 1.9GHz / Turbo 3.0GHz
Memory 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB 1600MHz)
Video Intel HD4000 (DX11)
NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology)

Is there a Dolphin build that is best for performance (rather than compatibility)? Iirc release 3.0 was faster than others. Is that still the case?

1.9 GHz is probably a bit slow. I would imagine some less intensive games will be playable but others won't be. Dolphin is really easy to set up though so it's pretty easy to find out which games are going to run well for you.

As far as graphics options goes the DX9 backend is generally considered the fastest but with the lowest accuracy.

munroe

Man, RE4 is a tough game to run well. Tried looking at the wiki and can't get it to run well.

I can get mine to run fairly well, though, I keep hearing the sound effects cycle through every now and then and when a cut scene occurs the sound doesn't match up with the video

andthebeatgoeson

What's your issue with it? I haven't gotten any problems with it. I've posted some example screenshots in the past if you're curious to see it.

That was at 3200x1800 and holding a firm 30.

GTX 570, i5 2400k, 8gb RAM

I can get mine to run fairly well, though, I keep hearing the sound effects cycle through every now and then and when a cut scene occurs the sound doesn't match up with the video
Actually, just getting it up and running with basic settings.

AMD 7970M, i7-3610QM, 8 GB Ram

Here's my setting right now:
http://i.imgur.com/etFs3uz.jpg
The image is too big, so you'll have to follow the link. Sorry, didn't want to shit up the thread with a gigantic pic.

Large image. I'm having trouble getting it to run faster than 20-25 FPS above 720P. I should have a decent enough system. I was just messing around with different settings last night.

Playing HD RE4 on my computer would set me for life. I wouldn't need to do a lot more.

Prophylatic 'Thanks for any help guys.'

munroe

Actually, just getting it up and running with basic settings.

AMD 7970M, i7-3610QM, 8 GB Ram

Here's my setting right now:
http://i.imgur.com/etFs3uz.jpg
The image is too big, so you'll have to follow the link. Sorry, didn't want to shit up the thread with a gigantic pic.

Large image. I'm having trouble getting it to run faster than 20-25 FPS above 720P. I should have a decent enough system. I was just messing around with different settings last night.

Playing HD RE4 on my computer would set me for life. I wouldn't need to do a lot more.

Prophylatic 'Thanks for any help guys.'

These are settings I'm currently using in comparison to yours, though that's not to say they are best settings, which I'm sure they're not:

-Uncheck "lock threads to cores"
-Check DSP LLE on thread
-DSound
-Direct3D9
-1680x1050
-Check Skip EFB Access from CPU
-Check Ram on EFB Copies
-Enhancements-Internal Resolution 2xNative
-Anisotropic Filtering 16x

My current spec:
AMD FX6100 3.8GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Geforce GTX560

I'm still going through different settings to see what provides best result.

Seik

Banned
Anyone got Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2? I want to see that in HD!

I did it just for you! ;)

gbz2qysh3.png

dbz2-1eds7t.png

But between us two, just play Budokai-1, it's just so much better. This or B3 via PCSX2, B2 is an aberration.

I did it just for you! ;)

gbz2qysh3.png

dbz2-1eds7t.png

But between us two, just play Budokai-1, it's just so much better. This or B3 via PCSX2, B2 is an aberration.

Aww thanks! :D

I actually loved both GC Budokais and was CRUSHED when 3 never showed up. :'(

They could've ported 3 or Infinite World to Wii but did they? NO! :'(

And now that Kenji Yamamoto was fired for plagiarism, we'll never get another release with his music, so the chance has been lost forever...

Seik

Banned
Aww thanks! :D

I actually loved both GC Budokais and was CRUSHED when 3 never showed up. :'(

They could've ported 3 or Infinite World to Wii but did they? NO! :'(

And now that Kenji Yamamoto was fired for plagiarism, we'll never get another release with his music, so the chance has been lost forever...

I know how you feel mah man, I'm not buying the HD collection especially because they removed the tracks. :(

At least we have Tenkaichi 2/3 on wii...even if I prefer B3 over those.

Guiberu

So is there a guide that will walk you through being able to setup your system to play specific games for Dolphin yet? Every time I try to play LOZ Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Xenolade, or anything else I always get stuttering no matter which version of the emulator or settings I use. My specs are as follows:

Intel 2600K
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570
SSD drive
Win 7 64 bit.

Dolphin-3.0-508-gf30aebf_XBHLE31_PresRes_L102_x64_ICC

Google it.

The latest stable build is not always the best version to be using. Emulation rewrites will often correct issues, but equally create others. Always research the game you are experiencing problems with to deduce the best revision of the emulator to use.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried selecting Force 16:9 in the Dolphin graphics settings? I know that's what you need to do to get proper widescreen for F-Zero GX at least.

1.9 GHz is probably a bit slow. I would imagine some less intensive games will be playable but others won't be. Dolphin is really easy to set up though so it's pretty easy to find out which games are going to run well for you.

As far as graphics options goes the DX9 backend is generally considered the fastest but with the lowest accuracy.

I figured 1.9GHz would be slow, but it says 3.0GHz Turbo, whatever that means. I'm not familiar with how those mobile cpus behave, but if you can run at 3.0 shouldn't it be enough?

I know how you feel mah man, I'm not buying the HD collection especially because they removed the tracks. :(

At least we have Tenkaichi 2/3 on wii...even if I prefer B3 over those.

The HD collection IIRC brought over the Tenkaichi tracks.

I would love them to make a new Budokai for 3DS or Wii U that maybe can be composed by the veteran composer who came back after Kenji left for DB Kai. Not sure if that guy did recent games or not, have to check.

Seik

Banned
The HD collection IIRC brought over the Tenkaichi tracks.

I would love them to make a new Budokai for 3DS or Wii U that maybe can be composed by the veteran composer who came back after Kenji left for DB Kai. Not sure if that guy did recent games or not, have to check.

There's always Ultimate Butoden on DS that seems quite descent (Though I don't think it's the same composer, the combat seems tight.), the only thing that retained me from buying it is the insane price on Ebay.

EDIT: God damn, the more videos I watch the more I think I'll crack and buy it. D:

andthebeatgoeson

These are settings I'm currently using in comparison to yours, though that's not to say they are best settings, which I'm sure they're not:

-Uncheck "lock threads to cores"
-Check DSP LLE on thread
-DSound
-Direct3D9
-1680x1050
-Check Skip EFB Access from CPU
-Check Ram on EFB Copies
-Enhancements-Internal Resolution 2xNative
-Anisotropic Filtering 16x

My current spec:
AMD FX6100 3.8GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Geforce GTX560

I'm still going through different settings to see what provides best result.

will try, thank you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright, so I found a way to sort of automate making textures look better in high res. It's really not perfect and not the same quality as Hypatia's work done by hand, but the end result does at least look sharper. Ahh it's not perfect, but it's much, much quicker and doesn't look bad.

Here's an example.

Vanilla:

ieW3fG7Sm6YDd.png

Automated HD textures

ibg6gHebQPotdl.png

PGamer

fucking juniors
Alright, so I found a way to sort of automate making textures look better in high res. It's really not perfect and not the same quality as Hypatia's work done by hand, but the end result does at least look sharper. Ahh it's not perfect, but it's much, much quicker and doesn't look bad.

Here's an example.

Vanilla:

http://i.minus.com/ieW3fG7Sm6YDd.png

Automated HD textures

http://i.minus.com/ibg6gHebQPotdl.png

Honestly that kind of looks like those filters people use when emulating SNES games, and not in a good way. I think if you're going to retexture a game you either have to go all the way or just not bother.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Honestly that kind of looks like those filters people use when emulating SNES games, and not in a good way. I think if you're going to retuxture a game you either have to go all the way or just not bother.

Really, I think I agree with you.

I've done some toying with automating it trying to get things to look as good as possible, and I just can't find a way that I really think looks good enough.

I think it looks better than the vanilla, but i'm still not really happy.

I've got one more option I think I'd like to try before I completely give up though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Don't listen to PGamer, those textures look way better than the unmodified ones.

I totally see what he's saying though.

I think they do look BETTER than vanilla, but not up to par with what you should expect from a real HD texture pack. I plan to continue toying around with scripts to see if I can get a better end result out of the textures, but it takes some time.

Currently my script increases the texture size x4 with smoothing, does some little tweaks, then saves it and moves on to the next one. I'm looking for a good way to increase the size automatically without it adding as much smudginess to the appearance.

Ledsen

Yeah that's pretty much the same as those emulator smoothing filters, it completely distorts the original art and makes everything look like it was painted with thick brushes in MS Paint. Those color transitions are supposed to look smooth.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I think they do look BETTER than vanilla, but not up to par with what you should expect from a real HD texture pack. I plan to continue toying around with scripts to see if I can get a better end result out of the textures, but it takes some time.

Currently my script increases the texture size x4 with smoothing, does some little tweaks, then saves it and moves on to the next one. I'm looking for a good way to increase the size automatically without it adding as much smudginess to the appearance.
What algorithms are you looking at for the scaling? Choosing the best algorithm for each texture individually will probably give the best result.

For anyone interested, here are some links to a few different options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling

http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/pixel-art-scaling-algorithms

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/23601-2d-image-scaling-algorithms/

http://tech-algorithm.com/articles/nearest-neighbor-image-scaling/

http://www.drdobbs.com/image-scaling-with-bresenham/184405045?pgno=1

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I reached the part in RE Remake where i have to change discs.
How do i change discs in Dolphin 3.5? I tried going to change disc in the emulator but the option is greyed out.

Also, any site where i can find save games?

Many of the links in the OP don't work anymore. Is this the latest thread for dolphin around here?

I'm curious about what to do once I have the file on my computer....do I need to look up texture packs? I'm unsure about how to make it look as good as possible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Many of the links in the OP don't work anymore. Is this the latest thread for dolphin around here?

I'm curious about what to do once I have the file on my computer....do I need to look up texture packs? I'm unsure about how to make it look as good as possible.

2 links is "many"?

I updated the Wiki links, but good god, how hard is it to Google: Dolphin Wiki?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Technically his "you're" makes more sense in the sentence. "Sounds like you are manners-encumbered as well."

Anyway. Stallion. Fix your broken fucking mess of an op for fucks sake. jesus. what the fuck am i paying you for.

Jinroh

Is there a way to run remake correctly with a good FPS and no sound issues without overclocking my i7 running at an already good 3.2 ghz?

Rufus

Technically his "you're" makes more sense in the sentence. "Sounds like you are manners-encumbered as well."
Not just technically. The "are" I inserted after "manners" turns out to have been an illusion. Oh well. I'll be sure to read more carefully before I grammar pounce on the next unsuspecting person.

PGamer

fucking juniors

The problem with any kind of automated solution is that you are always going to be gaining better resolution at the expense of artistic vision. I mean I guess it all depends on what you're okay with but without some kind of magic CSI photo enhancement tech the results are always going to be in the "ehh, I guess it's alright" range rather than "omg that looks amazing".

Yes it is the latest thread. Personally I wouldn't bother with texture packs, at least at the start. Go to the enhancement tab in the graphics settings window and max out the internal resolution, AA, and AF and go from there (if your PC can handle it). You can try some of the other enhancements there too but I think those are more liable to cause issues. Once you get the games in HD running with high image quality if you think it's still not good enough then it might be worth experimenting with texture packs or things like SweetFX.

Can you do WiiWare games in dolphin? I know someone put Fzero screens up before but wouldnt it be awesome to compare fast racing and fzero together? I think so

Yes you can do WiiWare games. I posted some F-Zero GX shots previously but I don't have FAST Racing so someone else will have to do the comparison.

jediyoshi

Don't listen to PGamer, those textures look way better than the unmodified ones.

Yeah, I'm not really following equating it to filters used on 2d sprite based games. It's a completely different effect in a 3d space like ww where much of the textures are basically solid vector figures. I doubt there was originally artistic intent in having compression artifacts show up, whereas in 2d sprites, anything done in post is affecting the very literal interpretation of what was originally drawn.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Anyone? Please help. I'm dying to finish this game.
I really don't know what to do and the ''Change Disc'' option is greyed.

EDIT: Nevermind, i fixed it. I forgot to leave unchecked ''Render To Main Window''

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The problem with any kind of automated solution is that you are always going to be gaining better resolution at the expense of artistic vision. I mean I guess it all depends on what you're okay with but without some kind of magic CSI photo enhancement tech the results are always going to be in the "ehh, I guess it's alright" range rather than "omg that looks amazing".

I don't think the end result is equal to actual handmade textures, but I think if the option is either the vanilla textures - stretched and with artifacts, or automated larger that looks sharper, but a bit less clean than if it were an actual retexture, but still cleaner than the vanilla upscaled, I like the automated.

I actually ran the automated filter through a large portion of the environment textures, and it's looking pretty alright. It's the kind of thing that if you stare, you notice it looks a bit off, but as you're playing it's a lot less noticable than the low res original.

I'm going to continue trying to tweak it for better results.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright so, props to gumby_trucker for some help. (heads up, the pack you sent me doesn't seem to have ALL of the games textures, but it does have a large portion which was a great place to start)

I've got some more examples, and this stuff isn't a HUGE difference, but it does make it look cleaner.

GIF below, so the quality isn't IDENTICAL to how it would be different in game

ibg3KciHFWOpgN.gif

Below are best viewed in alternating tabs.

Vanilla Vs. Texture Pack.

Vanilla Vs. Texture Pack.

Vanilla Vs. Textire Pack.

I'd have to run around through the game and cherry pick the textures that I didn't modify yet, but there don't seem to be too many missing - at least inside dungeons and stuff of the like.

The types of textures I think it works best for is stuff like doors and things with a lot of details like that.

For example, I think this texture comes out looking pretty great after running through the little script I set up.

Original:

ifcLLdlVfgzqR.png

Edited:

iUjQpNW0NoxV7.png

I think I'm sort of alright with how the results are for some of the bigger picture stuff right now, though it is still far from perfect.

Alright so, props to gumby_trucker for some help. (heads up, the pack you sent me doesn't seem to have ALL of the games textures, but it does have a large portion which was a great place to start)

I've got some more examples, and this stuff isn't a HUGE difference, but it does make it look cleaner.

GIF below, so the quality isn't IDENTICAL to how it would be different in game

http://i.minus.com/ibg3KciHFWOpgN.gif[/img ]

[B]Below are best viewed in alternating tabs. [/B]

[url=http://i5.minus.com/iz8lp8ltarngW.png]Vanilla[/url] Vs. [url=http://i6.minus.com/ibrzhMd7dhaRRm.png]Texture Pack[/url].

[url=http://i3.minus.com/ibyBJ4E9v6VqZX.png]Vanilla[/url] Vs. [url=http://i2.minus.com/irRyyrbttaDwq.png]Texture Pack[/url].

[url=http://i7.minus.com/ijktlaU8RTcbn.png]Vanilla[/url] Vs. [url=http://i5.minus.com/ib0zmHw0N99uEN.png]Textire Pack[/url].

I'd have to run around through the game and cherry pick the textures that I didn't modify yet, but there don't seem to be too many missing - at least inside dungeons and stuff of the like.

The types of textures I think it works best for is stuff like doors and things with a lot of details like that.
[/QUOTE]

I think it looks pretty good for now. The paint daub effect works well with the style. The other high res texture pack from Hypatia looks great too.

I really wish someone would play around with Skyward Sword's textures. I'll do it if anyone can point me to a texture dump.

Yes it is the latest thread. Personally I wouldn't bother with texture packs, at least at the start. Go to the enhancement tab in the graphics settings window and max out the internal resolution, AA, and AF and go from there (if your PC can handle it). You can try some of the other enhancements there too but I think those are more liable to cause issues. Once you get the games in HD running with high image quality if you think it's still not good enough then it might be worth experimenting with texture packs or things like SweetFX.

Yes you can do WiiWare games. I posted some F-Zero GX shots previously but I don't have FAST Racing so someone else will have to do the comparison.
Damn. ok

Top Bottom