• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunpoint [STEAM] A Rube Goldberg stealth machine

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has anyone else encountered a weird bug in the level editor where the elevators freak out when attempting to use them?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has anyone else encountered a weird bug in the level editor where the elevators freak out when attempting to use them?

Yup, it juddered a bit but I was still able to use them.

Shahadan

Yes, especially if you use many of them. It sucks.

The bug annoying me the most is when guards unexpectedy appear on another floor when you launch a level.

anywya Toma, when are we getting a level from you? :p

TheChits

Playing this game puts the biggest grin on my face. All I can think of is this
220px-WallaceandGromitinTheWrongTrousers.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I wanna see the results of all that SpaceChem mind training !

I am honestly interested in making levels deviously hard and then giving it to others to solve. Levels that seem unsolvable at first basically.

Toma

In that case you just found yourself a devoted tester :lol:

Gotta see how to find the time for it though. I might have some time later tonight to tinker with the editor.

Vlad

Tried the demo on Steam, and while it seems entertaining so far, I've got two questions:

1. How do I change the resolution after the first startup? I wanted to run fullscreen, but I accidentally clicked the wrong thing the first time I ran the game, with no obvious way to get back to the resolution selector.

2. How do I change my key bindings? Pressing Alt to bring up the circuit rewiring screen freezes the game (until I click back on it) and makes windows do a "ding", which gets old fast.

Toma

Tried the demo on Steam, and while it seems entertaining so far, I've got two questions:

1. How do I change the resolution after the first startup? I wanted to run fullscreen, but I accidentally clicked the wrong thing the first time I ran the game, with no obvious way to get back to the resolution selector.

2. How do I change my key bindings? Pressing Alt to bring up the circuit rewiring screen freezes the game (until I click back on it) and makes windows do a "ding", which gets old fast.

Main menu, below the "options" button there is a resolution option.

And you cant change the keybindings unfortunately.

Vlad

Main menu, below the "options" button there is a resolution option.

Ah, didn't realize you could back out to a different menu than the one you get by hitting Esc in-game.

And you cant change the keybindings unfortunately.

Oh well. I guess I'll try the demo out some other time if the option's ever added in.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is great, but playing for about an hour every day I've completely lost track of the plot - I have no idea what's going on anymore or who half these people are haha.

I like [the illusion] that the game gives you choices in terms of how you react to people and what you decide to tell them or withhold from them.

Thraktor

Are there any levels you can run through quickly to get power-packs (or whatever they're called)? I'm trying to do a gentleman-ghost-ninja runthrough (for the levels where it's possible), but I need to use the jumping through windows silently ability, which requires power, of which I have none. I can't even buy more without selling off my abilities.

Speaking of which, I noticed there that I no longer have the fall silently ability, and I don't seem to have any way of getting it back without selling off my other abilities. Has anyone else noticed abilities disappearing?

Vlad

You can at least change the moving controls to the arrow keys. And bringing up the circuit rewiring screen is mouse scroll.

I don't have a problem with the movement keys, it's the alt key that's goofy.

And I'm on a laptop with a trackpad. There is a scroll function, but it doesn't work all that well, especially in games that use it.

Toma

Started working on my own level:
kwUyAIv.png

Just some building layout now, but I have some ideas I'll try to implement later. Lets see whether it actually will turn out decent.

Game is great, but playing for about an hour every day I've completely lost track of the plot - I have no idea what's going on anymore or who half these people are haha.
iXEsg9draGbZa.jpg

Basically, corporation warfare and backstabbing. Typical espionage noir plot, but with an added level of humor and self-awareness in the dialogue.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
is the developer commentary worth the extra cash, or should i just go for the standard version?

The soundtrack absolutely is, haven't sat through much of the commentary yet.

My review, campell's condensed soup version:

I can certainly appreciate what Tom Francis has set out to do with Gunpoint. On the whole I found everything worked smoothly and gave me a highly enjoyable experience but for being a puzzler I never found myself too stumped or challenged. With any luck the community will be able to dish out some real head-scratchers, or stages that allow for even more complicated and devious setups.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
42 minutes making-of video? (<-also is that worth it?)

or 42 minutes of commentary?

There are 45 commentary tracks but they all range in length from very short to not very long still. There is a separate file which is a 42 minute making-of feature. The making-of however is only available in the Exclusive Edition.

Thraktor

I've got the Gentleman, Ghost and Ninja awards on all levels now apart from the second (where Ghost is impossible) and the last:

Does anyone know exactly which of them you can get on the last level? Once I finish that off I'll move on to speed-runs (and maybe trying to make a level that isn't too shitty).

Morpork

Good job on Fallguy. It was more challenging than any of the campaign levels in the main game. My first time through I ended up getting stuck in the room with the computers behind the vault door.
Thanks! I agree that the main game wasn't especially taxing so I tried for something different with Fallguy.

Now that was cool ! Nice use of the guards.
My only cpmplaint, unless I missed something is that
you can get trapped in the hack room if you killed the Pro in the motion sensor room? That's what happened to me. I could have done it if I hacked only one terminal, which I guess is enough in the editor anyway.

Hehe yeah he's facing that way as temptation. It was my evil plan all along. :p

Level was pretty fun dude, keep it up.

Nice timing puzzle with the drop floor and I liked they way you used the alarms.

I actually had a lot of trouble with getting the guard to not move on the fallen guard and not notice the sound of the elevator. I wanted that alarm puzzle to work.

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you enjoyed it. :)

I'm working on another 2 levels at the moment, one for fun and one as an all out puzzle.
Please be excited. lol

ScOULaris

So other than the three levels that has been posted in this thread, I can't find any user-made levels anywhere else online! Hmm... what would be the best way to go about this? Since the game was #1 on Steam there for a while, I thought that we'd be seeing an initial outpouring of user levels by this time.

I'm gonna dive into the editor tomorrow and see if I can whip something together.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So other than the three levels that has been posted in this thread, I can't find any user-made levels anywhere else online! Hmm... what would be the best way to go about this? Since the game was #1 on Steam there for a while, I thought that we'd be seeing an initial outpouring of user levels by this time.

I'm gonna dive into the editor tomorrow and see if I can whip something together.

Seems like PCGamingWiki has a chunk of levels in their forums for the game, but it's a bit of a mess. I can't wait for Tom to look in to having Workshop added.

morningbus

Finally finished my level:

Cheque Pointe: (v 2.0): http://goo.gl/CjBzs

Changes:
(v 1.5) Fixed a misplaced tile. Also added a way to get out of an impossible-to-complete situation if you choose ultra-violence. Save for being shot and killed, there is always a way to complete the level.
(v 2.0) Accounted for even more ultra-violence, which makes me afraid of you people. Also added in one more trigger to prevent getting yourself stuck in the last room. I've completed the level as a ghost and also a psycho, so we should be good for reals this time.

elfinke

Great thread, great .gifs (hard g). I added this to my wishlist and downloaded the demo after seeing the GB quicklook, but I'm going to go home and buy it now and forget about even trying the demo.

That's this evening taken care of!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Great thread, great .gifs (hard g). I added this to my wishlist and downloaded the demo after seeing the GB quicklook, but I'm going to go home and buy it now and forget about even trying the demo.

That's this evening taken care of!

Put the game in your cart but then play the demo anyways just for the chunk of dialog at the end of the playable area.

It's worth it.

Finally finished my level:

Cheque Pointe: (v 1.5): http://goo.gl/dHcNd

Changes: (v 1.5) Fixed a misplaced tile. Also added a way to get out of an impossible-to-complete situation if you choose ultra-violence. Save for being shot and killed, there is always a way to complete the level.

Fun level, the yellow switch room was pretty tricky. I ended up getting stuck in between one of the green trap doors though and had to restart.

morningbus

Fun level, the yellow switch room was pretty tricky. I ended up getting stuck in between one of the green trap doors though and had to restart.

I could be missing it because I'm too close to it, but I think there is a way out of being trapped there.
Did you try wiring lights?

graywolf323

I kinda wish the game had a New Game + or something

I'd really like to play through the story again and go for the other ending but I don't want to suddenly not be able to kick doors in anymore :p

really enjoyable game but could really use more content, here's hoping the devs push out more via patches and what not

morningbus

No I didn't. But there was only a red light in there...is there a way to link red lights with other colored links?

(I'm assuming you were stuck on the floor with the batteries) You can rewire the light so the guard hits the switch for the green trap doors.

(I'm assuming you were stuck on the floor with the batteries) You can rewire the light so the guard hits the switch for the green trap doors.

well I kinda knocked everyone out at that point

Anyways, I beat it...the timing for the last trap door was pretty crazy, took me several tries.

Some cool insight from the making of. It's kinda crazy the development budget for this was $30, and that was just because of buying Game Maker. Spelunky finally inspired him to make a game, after thinking of it for 5 years. Dude made the game on his spare time on weekends while still being a writer at PC Gamer over 3 years.

It was going to be free, but when he asked on his blog whether he should charge for it, 99% of 1000 comments wanted to pay for it lol

This is quite inspiring:
"I didn't quit my job. I turned down every offer from a publisher on a platform who wanted any kind of control over development or any kind of exclusivity. I didn't go crazy while doing it...I think."

Top Bottom