• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Announced for PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Fantasy XV is exclusive. Sony was trying to work out Kingdom Hearts III before the conference. I have heard Sony is helping with XV to get the game out in a timely fashion.

Hmm... then why would they not put a quick line at the end of the trailer saying it was exclusive then? Seems strange.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Final Fantasy XV is exclusive. Sony was trying to work out Kingdom Hearts III before the conference. I have heard Sony is helping with XV to get the game out in a timely fashion.

Then why didn't they announce it as such?

They even talked up their timed exclusive beta access for TESO as exclusive.

Airgetlam

Can't watch vids at work, does the trailer even show gameplay?
Yes. At least it appears that way. I still remember that XIII trailer that had damage numbers and a fake UI overlaid onto a CG trailer. (might not have been CG, I can't recall)

orioto

Good Art™
I don't really know what to think about the look of the game footage...

I honestly didn't know if it was PS3 assets or PS4 ones. The compression was pretty bad.
I'm a little worried about the fact that everything was action, jumping and kicking things. When i see XIII-3... Is Square just turning the rpg genre into common action games ? That would be so sad.

Tabris

Off topic but this was the last thread I posted in. Man how were you guys posting when I was getting Maintenance messages and refreshing during that time? IP ranges being blocked?

levitan

Oh? It looked like a fast paced action movie / Uncharted game. This isn't bad of course and the FF elements were everywhere (nerdgasm!!!!). How was this similar to the past games for you...?

It is the mood man, the mood! Looks elegant, moody and has a quality of otherworldliness to it...I can't quite describe it. Remember everyone said FF12 wasn't a real FF, but then it had old-school magic like Silenca and Vox! To me that makes it a pretty authentic FF. FFXIII felt un-FF to me because it was linear, commercial and has a almost korean-soap-opera level story. It is hard to describe, maybe I am going mad. lol

Hero

XV hasn't been worked on for over 1/2 of its 'development'. Staff were pulled to work on XIII, staff were pulled to work on XIV. The project has been put on hold repeatedly.

It doesn't matter the reasoning, the underlining point is that of Square-Enix's terrible management which obviously is already under the process of being restructured. Even if you want to claim these as reasonable defenses the sheer opportunity cost negatively impacted the company.

Things will be clarified tomorrow and in the coming days, but we heard the rumors from reliable people that FFXV and KH3 were exclusive due to a deal with Sony and with Sony helping them out with development.

However, it is indeed strange that Sony did not announce them as exclusives while explicitly mentioning FFXIV as console exclusives.

ryuzaki57

Banned
brain overheated at this

ffxv-leviathan.jpg

HOLY SH** THAT ROCKS!

To be fair, all talk of FFXV and KHIII was handled by Nomura in his video. Sony didn't mention anything about either games themselves.

And Nomura's the type to say "here's what I'm doing for this platform" without making note of stuff like whether or not it's *only* on that platform.

But then, that tweet is definitely implying something different to what thuway is claiming.

I guess all we can do is wait for direct confirmation tomorrow or closer to release.

golem

From the stream the graphics still looked PS3 or cross gen at best to me. Theyre probably a long way from release still though

watershed

Banned
So was that actual game footage or scripted, in-engine stuff with a UI overlayed? Also is it all real-time? I like my Final Fantasy games as traditional rpgs not 3rd person action adventures.

Khezu

So Uncharted starring Sasuke Uchiha?

That was a very pretty trailer, but gameplay wise, that did not inspire confidence.

The only way I can see the games being multiplat is if the Xbox One has a sizable install base (in the west) by the time the game(s) are ready to be launched. So, I'd wait and see if anything.

Voror

The gameplay looked very scripted, which has me worried just a bit though hopefully that's only at the start as I got the impression Noctis' friends were joining him throughout that whole thing one by one.

Some interesting new characters and looks at the story. I hope to find out if anything has changed from the original vision.

Nomura did say we'd hear more, and I hope that includes perhaps a deeper look at the gameplay.

I don't like that story might be a love story, but after that it looks awesome. I was never into the whole boy likes girl stories. Now I'm not positive on this but from what I saw from the trailer it sure did sound like it, but with crystals.

Gameplay looks cool as long as I don't see any QTE and its all in game controlled actions. All that stuff looked very scripted so I'm not sure. Though it did look like the beginning of the game since he had no party members.

Overall, I'm excited but I have a ton of questions that need to be answered from Square.

Is this still connected to the FFXIII mythology or has that been changed? It seems with all the crystal world talk that they still might take place within the same universe, which would be a first between numbered Final Fantasy titles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this still connected to the FFXIII mythology or has that been changed? It seems with all the crystal world talk that they still might take place within the same universe, which would be a first between numbered Final Fantasy titles.

The trailer started with "Fabula Nova Crystallis".

.Anema

This is like a dream, oh my god can't wait.
The trailer looks awesome! The characters, the world design, music..
I want this on only on my PS4, Xbone don't deserve it.

cj_iwakura

It still said Fabula Nova, so that means it's part of the XIII mythos, but the crystal war makes it sound a lot more like a traditional FF(in a good way!).

Zukuu

Banned
It's during the Nintendo Direct (as a private event).

Square Enix is doing a summary later, but we should get details quickly after presumably.
Thanks.

Bummer. =/

Well news are news and we already got the trailer, so here's hoping for a release window for Versus.

Shadow780

I need HD trailer, stat. I can't sleep until I watch it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Rpgmonkey

Looks ok.

Getting scripted action sequences and set pieces is a little disappointing though, was hoping they would show more mellow aspects of gameplay.

One thing I just noticed while re-watching the trailer. The lineup of portraits they show at the very end doesn't include ALL of the portraits that they show in the little flash sequence. There are two of them that don't show up in the lineup, and they appear to be red-eyed, slightly crazy-looking versions of Noctis and his father.

Wonder what that's all about...

Then why didn't they announce it as such?

They even talked up their timed exclusive beta access for TESO as exclusive.

Maybe some details still need to be worked out, like the potential of a ps3 release?

Do you really think Sony would put so much funding into an Xbox title? Even Verendus confirmed they are financially involved in the game. This was not the case with FFXIII.

The gameplay looked very scripted, which has me worried just a bit though hopefully that's only at the start as I got the impression Noctis' friends were joining him throughout that whole thing one by one.

Some interesting new characters and looks at the story. I hope to find out if anything has changed from the original vision.

Nomura did say we'd hear more, and I hope that includes perhaps a deeper look at the gameplay.

The "scripted" stuff looked exactly like the final boss battle in KH2 when you're jumping from space boulder to space boulder to get to Xemnas. That entire sequence was just part of a boss battle guys. The actual game will not be that ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom