• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Announced for PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

This, SHOCKED ME!

I was literally repeating, "Verses 13!? NO WAY!" in a mantra, over and over and over. I had all but given up on this being released.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some mod a year and a half ago called me an idiot for suggesting this would happen.

Are you talking about this?

Why on Earth would Square-Enix do this? I mean, seriously.

Making Versus into XV sends exactly one message to the world: we are too incompetent to make a real Final Fantasy XV. We are so desperate that we have to take a standalone title that's already associated with a different numbered FF and rebrand it six years after its announcement because otherwise we'll never release another new numbered entry.

It's one thing to give it a new name to separate it from the stink of XIII, but trying to reposition this title as a new main-series title is only asking for trouble. Anyone who thinks this is a good plan should probably avoid weighing in on branding debates in the future. :p

Edit: And this:
You've got it entirely backwards. Dedicated gamers are the people who know what Versus is, who have followed it (to some degree or another) for years, who are still posting in these threads six years after the first time they talked about the game on GAF ('sup Jolly), and who might stare at something like a rename with a skeptical eye but would nonetheless accept it for what it is. The more casual audiences (you know, the people who drive 90% of Final Fantasy sales) aren't going to follow the situation closely, they're just going to get enough to know that they're being snookered.

If you want to build terrible word-of-mouth before your product is even out, a great way is to do something that you'd only do to try to trick people into paying your product extra attention in a way that's incredibly easy for them to find out about.

(Seriously, renaming the game to XV is an incredibly dumb idea.)

Thoraxes

I'm so glad they changed so much.

Versus looked like shit the few times it was shown, but this looks so much better now in every way (though i'll hold on gameplay till the show a little less explosions and some more... RPG in this RPG franchise).

Final Fantasy XV is exclusive. Sony was trying to work out Kingdom Hearts III before the conference. I have heard Sony is helping with XV to get the game out in a timely fashion.

YES!! Hope this is true.

Plenty have talked in prior topics about why it should be exclusive, but IMO:

1. Exclusivity gives it a nice little halo/shine
2. Relevant for me - it'll have secret sauce/I want to see again what kind of game SE can make if they just concentrate on one platform

shawnhi

So let me get this straight....After all these years of crying about no information about this ghost game, especially when it will be release...For them to show people a pretty trailer and still leave out the big question people have been asking for the past 6 years?

Gamer's are suckers.

tomorrow. believe!

MartyStu

Seven. Seven years.

Guys when did we all become so easy?

SE changed the name of the game and we are all ready to bend over? All is forgiven?

I for one am still extremely annoyed that they took so long to get their act together. Hell, we really do not know if they really have. I mean, Lightning Returns is a thing...

RedSwirl

Shit, I fucked up and posted in a year-old thread.

Seven. Seven years.

SE changed the name of the game and we are all ready to bend over? All is forgiven?

I for one am still extremely annoyed that they took so long to get their act together. Hell, we really do not know if they really have. I mean, Lightning Returns is a thing...

I agree with this too. Having to change the name of a spinoff in development hell to the next numbered title is sort of an admission of defeat in my eyes. It shows that they can't really plan major Final Fantasy games anymore, especially the rumor that Sony is having to co-develop this game.

Road

YES!! Hope this is true.

Plenty have talked in prior topics about why it should be exclusive, but IMO:

1. Exclusivity gives it a nice little halo/shine
2. Relevant for me - it'll have secret sauce/I want to see again what kind of game SE can make if they just concentrate on one platform

If FFXV were Sony exclusive Kagari would have already made 10 threads about it. =P

Seven. Seven years.

Haha I'm not shouting SE IS BACK!!!!

But I am very happy the graphics and gameplay looks great and they incorporated modern influences into it, plus the story looks promising. So the 7 years haven't been all for naught.

If FFXV were Sony exclusive Kagari would have already made 10 threads about it. =P

Oh well.... I'll keep that small glimmer of hope.

shawnhi

This game still looked fantastic when it was a PS3 title, shame we still aren't getting that last send off.

Best part of the trailer:

iEhii7nTF1zcE.gif
werd!

Man, we need some high quality, super clear trailers! SE needs to release them soon. Most of the ones on Youtube I can find are not very clear. :(

Final Fantasy XV is exclusive. Sony was trying to work out Kingdom Hearts III before the conference. I have heard Sony is helping with XV to get the game out in a timely fashion.
Interesting.

Your batting average is pretty high right now; so I'll hold the salt for now.

Also, why can I access the site from my phone... But its down for maintenance from my laptop???

I agree with this too. Having to change the name of a spinoff in development hell to the next numbered title is sort of an admission of defeat in my eyes. It shows that they can't really plan major Final Fantasy games anymore, especially the rumor that Sony is having to co-develop this game.

You're not the only one.

It looks great and I actually want to play it but the fact that it's not a built from the ground up numbered title but is instead a spin-off renamed really throws a wrench into things. In a nutshell FFXV was in development during FFXIV and maybe even during FFXIII. For sure during FFXIII-2.

Voror

I wonder what the chances of seeing more gameplay videos tomorrow are? More info from SE by word of mouth is nice, but it'd really be nice to get shown more of the game.

Toth

Are you talking about this?

Edit: And this:

When Versus was first revealed, it was meant to complement XIII and Agito. The failure of XIV vanilla and the development hell of Versus simply caused a radical change in plans. I think it went down like this in January 2011:

1. With the huge success of XIII, SE decided to make XIII-2 (and maybe XIII-3 at this time). Coupled with the financial drain of XIV and delay in Versus, XIII was seen as a solid money maker and the decision was made that the games would now become its own series, the Lightning Saga.
2. Agito was changed to Type-0 since SE did not want players to get confused why a XIII game did not have characters from the other games.
3. They decided to change Versus to just plain Versus or XV probably in Jan 2011. Development was pushed to PS4 and more resources were moved to XIV, 13-2 and LR

FrankT

Outside of Destiny this is really the only other thing that looked top notch to me. Though why in the world they never even mentioned exclusive while pretty much nailing exclusive for all other titles that were is telling. I mean it stuck out.

I mean at the end of the trailer or something.

I guess we shall find out in the morning?

friz898

Since the search function is off, I can't search and find the post(s) Verendus made. How is his predictions doing?

Was there anybody else we were double-checking?

Voror

I really would love just to see 20 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay. I can dream.

This.

All they have to do at this point is keep updating us with some trailers and info on the game, which we'll be getting a bit of tomorrow one would think.

Kagari said on twitter that Sony helped develop it so theres that. Exclusive or not all I know is that I will do bad things to get this.

Airgetlam

I get so giddy with excitement when I watch the trailer. Then I get depressed when I realize there still isn't a release date.

Cels

I find it odd they would take care to announce "FFXIV exclusive to consoles on PS3/PS4" and not say anything about FFXV's exclusivity on PS4 if that were the case. Pretty sure this game will come to Xbox.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm so glad they changed so much.

Versus looked like shit the few times it was shown, but this looks so much better now in every way (though i'll hold on gameplay till the show a little less explosions and some more... RPG in this RPG franchise).

Agreed!

If Sony co-funded this then I fail to see how the game is going to be multi-platform. Hate how this is all still up in the air and we don't have any definitive answer yet.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wha da.... what the fack did i just watch? Surely that can't represent the majority of live action in the game can it?

If so fuuuuuuck me. Game would be amazing...

Final Fantasy on the rebound i suppose. Who wouldn't buy that?

Guys! You remember that feeling of hype for a Final Fantasy game that is so strong that it burns every fiber of your body? Yeah, I hadn't felt that in years until tonight. FFXV is going to be incredible!

The return of Fuyosa.

Loving the black hair girl already.

Hahaa, Fusoya - I like that Etsio guy in there too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom