• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eteric Rice

Keru_Shiri said:
As much as I would've loved waggle, I'm pretty sure it's going to be GC/Classic Controller for the main game. Didn't Sakurai say "Don't throw out your GC controllers just yet?"

As for Pit's arrows, I second the notion that it will control similarly to Zelda's forward+B, at least it will more closely resemble that then Ness' up+B.

Yup, that's what he said.

The Wii-mote is especially weak with fighter games, I kind of knew that before the system was released. I figured they'd go with the older controllers. Or at least the option to use the GC/Classic controller.

Keru_Shiri said:
As much as I would've loved waggle, I'm pretty sure it's going to be GC/Classic Controller for the main game. Didn't Sakurai say "Don't throw out your GC controllers just yet?"

As for Pit's arrows, I second the notion that it will control similarly to Zelda's forward+B, at least it will more closely resemble that then Ness' up+B.

Link's boomerang is the best comparison. He doesn't suffer poor movement, whereas Zelda's requires you to sit still. Pit is likely the former, but yes, control-wise you got it.

ant1532

Banned
Neomoto said:
How ****ing many times do I have to say it? You are wrong on that part (not that there was no team, it's even in my post you quoted for **** sake).

Iwata literal quote on E3 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEyUsrTso-I

What more prove do you ****ing need? And for the record, a company can start working on a game without actually beginning to develop it (besides that they already have source code and engine ready for use), in the planning fase and all that. And Nintendo actually indeed had one Wi-Fi title ready for launch window (Pokemon Battle Revolution).
His team didn't refer to the team making the game. There WAS NO TEAM MAKING SMASH AT THAT TIME.

He was talking about his team as in all the business people at Nintendo trying to get the Smash Team together which resulted in a whole new studio for them.

Keru_Shiri said:

Yeah I think a GC controller will be implemented somehow into the game. I can't see myself playing with the wiimote at all....craptacular.

Zeed

Banned
ant1532 said:
His team didn't refer to the team making the game. There WAS NO TEAM MAKING SMASH AT THAT TIME.

He was talking about his team as in all the business people at Nintendo trying to get the Smash Team together which resulted in a whole new studio for them.
Don't bother man, he's hopeless.

Firestorm

Um.. They probably won't announce that many new characters so they obviously aren't going to give us frequent character unveilings. I mean, let's think about it:

Melee has 13 new characters (14 including Sheik)
Brawl will have less new characters than Melee.
Brawl has had 4 new characters announced (5 including Zero Suit Samus)

So I'd say 5 or 6 more characters max? With about 5 or 6 months left before everyone's estimated ship date, we can't really expect a new character every week.

Heck, all the characters might already have been announced! Not like he said there WILL be one or two more third party characters. He said maybe one or two more.

Eteric Rice said:
Yup, that's what he said.

The Wii-mote is especially weak with fighter games, I kind of knew that before the system was released. I figured they'd go with the older controllers. Or at least the option to use the GC/Classic controller.

Ouff. I don't agree at all with this fan-vision of Brawl. This is a Wii game and the majority Wii's owners have never bought a Gamecube. If Nintendo don't make a Wiimote-compatible version of the game that works very well, this game will sell only to the fans and it will bomb. No, i'm serious. Stop think that there are 5+ millions fans with outside there ready with a GC controller in one hand and the money in the another one.

The game HAS to be before every other thing, a Wii-game and this mean not only compatible with the Wiimote, but also that the Wiimote has to be the principal way to play the game. What ? The Wiimote is bad for fight-games ? This is a Nintendo's problem ! It doesn't interest me how they'll make the gameplay, but they have to do it !

Firestorm

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Ouff. I don't agree at all with this fan-vision of Brawl. This is a Wii game and the majority Wii's owners have never bought a Gamecube. If Nintendo don't make a Wiimote-compatible version of the game that works very well, this game will sell only to the fans and it will bomb. No, i'm serious. Stop think that there are 5+ millions fans with outside there ready with a GC controller in one hand and the money in the another one.

The game HAS to be before every other thing, a Wii-game and this mean not only compatible with the Wiimote, but also that the Wiimote has to be the principal way to play the game. What ? The Wiimote is bad for fight-games ? This is a Nintendo's problem ! It doesn't interest me how they'll make the gameplay, but they have to do it !

Nintendo would be stupid not to allow the WiiMote + Nunchuk as an option. Or at least WiiMote + Classic Controller with Classic Controller bundled with the game. It will likely be what they use for any tutorials they might have in game. After all, the ones who'll be using the GCN controller almost definitely will have played the game before.

Anyway, either the fact that I haven't been watching any SSBM videos lately has messed up my eyes or M2K and PC Chris got even faster o_o;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowKCUQX4v4

Or maybe it's the shaky camera? That's the Evo East finals that happened yesterday.

Neomoto

Zyid said:
No, you're still wrong

That refers solely to Wi-Fi functionality, not general release date. Nice try though.

How about following the link in my last post before making a bigger ass of yourself?
No it's not. They literally say

But I will tell you, we are already working on several Wi-Fi titles. Each one starring one of our key franchise characters. One or two Wi-Fi games will be ready for launch. AND I AM PUSHING MY TEAM TO MAKE SURE SMASH BROTHERS IS ONE OF THEM.

- He says we are working on several online titles.
- He says that one or two of THOSE online titles will be ready for launch.
- He then says that he will be pushing his team (could be HAL at the time for all we know) to make sure that one of those online launch titles will be Smash Bros.

So, where exactly is he only referring to the game being online? Your link is a write up from e3 2005, which I gave you a direct link of. Iwata himself said those words. IGN rewrote them and said "Smash Bros. will be a launch title". Which isn't true, if you can read or have listened to Iwata instead of what IGN summarizes. Never did Iwata say that the game will in fact be a launch title. "Nice try though."

ant1532 said:

I know that the team that is now making the game did not exist at the time of those words from Iwata, which I said a couple of times in my posts if you would have read them. I just said that you can work on a game in the planning fase and all that without actually beginning to develop it. They'd still have HAL, the source code and engine afterall to make the game if Sakurai were to decline Iwata's offer. It would have been a different Smash Bros., but it would have been a online Smash Bros. nonetheless. Oh, and afaik they didn't try to get the Smash Team together since it is a new team. After Sakurai accepted Iwata's offer, he was giving a new studio and only then the recruitment of new employees for the game began (for the exception of a large amount of a other development team that were supposedly hardcore Smash Bros. fans/players that joined the team also).

Zyid said:
Don't bother man, he's hopeless.
If you would have posted that before I woudn't have even replied to your post. Pretty weak of you to say that, since you are wrong and not me.

ani-karma-headdesk.gif

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

You're nuts. Melee was ONLY the best selling Gamecube game. Brawl will sell without your stupid Wiimote controls.

WTF is wrong with some people?

Zeed

Banned
hydragonwarrior said:
Guys, settle your bickering online with a match of SSBB! (so you got to hold your grudges for several months)
I don't know, I'm starting to think that he's just a joke poster with a ton of stamina, since he's actually stopped making any sense whatsoever. Even assuming that Iwata was referring to both launch date and WiFi functionality, it says clearly that he was "making sure" that Smash Bros. would be ready for launch.

Neomoto said:
One or two Wi-Fi games will be ready for launch. AND I AM PUSHING MY TEAM TO MAKE SURE SMASH BROTHERS IS ONE OF THEM.
There's really only one way to interpret that.

Even in Sakurai's old blog (unfortunately taken down in the relaunch) he mentioned being surprised when Smash was announced for launch.

It's pretty obvious that he's just out trolling (pretty pathetically at that). We should've figured it out earlier.

Kureishima said:
You're nuts. Melee was ONLY the best selling Gamecube game. Brawl will sell without your stupid Wiimote controls.

WTF is wrong with some people?

With the Gamecube, the controller was of course in the package. With the Wii, if you have to use the GC's controller, you have to buy it (and where ? Gamecube's accessoires are not in stores anymore and do you think really that someone would pay for the additional controller AND a game separately ?). Who has had a Gamecube and can recycle the controller is only a small % of who has the Wii right now.

Sorry, but I feel myself so stupid to explain this simple (and so obvious) thing....

Super Smash bros. Brawl is a Wii game and NOT a Gamecube game. Period.

Cosmozone

Firestorm said:
Nintendo would be stupid not to allow the WiiMote + Nunchuk as an option.
It's just not happening. Wiimote with or without Nunchuck will be the main controller for the game because it's the standard controller for the very system. Every single person who thinks otherwise is a stupid fanboy. They should just take their "waggle" hate elsewhere. Bundle the game with a controller? Do people even realize what that means?

Cosmozone said:
It's just not happening. Wiimote with or without Nunchuck will be the main controller for the game because it's the standard controller for the very system. Every single person who thinks otherwise is a stupid fanboy. They should just take their "waggle" hate elsewhere. Bundle the game with a controller? Do people even realize what that means?

/discussion on the controller.

Simply that's what I meant.

Anyone who thinks there won't be a Wiimote option is stupid.

Anyone who thinks it will substantially change the way the game is played instead of being a motion controlled way to emulate the existing controls for new players is just as stupid.

Game-Biz

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
With the Gamecube, the controller was of course in the package. With the Wii, if you have to use the GC's controller, you have to buy it (and where ? Gamecube's accessoires are not in stores anymore and do you think really that someone would pay for the additional controller AND a game separately ?). Who has had a Gamecube and can recycle the controller is only a small % of who has the Wii right now.

Sorry, but I feel myself so stupid to explain this simple (and so obvious) thing....

Super Smash bros. Brawl is a Wii game and NOT a Gamecube game. Period.
GameCube controller will be a secondary option. The Classic Controller will be the controller Brawl is built around. Guaranteed.

Game-Biz

Following a discussion in which Sakurai commented that many Wii games seem to be tailored around the Wii controller, Famitsu asked if Smash Bros. Brawl won't be using the controller's special functionality at all. "At the very least, you won't be using it during normal play," responded Sakurai.
"At the very least, you won't be using it during normal play,"

"you won't be using it during normal play,"

http://wii.ign.com/articles/737/737632p1.html

So what does this mean?

It means that there's going to be No "waggle" during normal smash battles.

I love waggle, but thank God.

Zeed

Banned
Amir0x said:
Did they show Ness yet?
Yes. There was a Ness-centric trailer that was briefly shown on the site last night but they pulled it quickly - probably it slipped by accident. Too bad you missed it.

Guys, "wiimote controls" =! "motion controls". I'm sure that the game will be able to be played with the buttons on the wiimote + nunchuch, with or whithout waggle. This WILL be one option for players. Whether or not other controllers will also be options is yet to be seen, but the (limited) information we have thus far points to: Yes, they will be.

Game-Biz said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/737/737632p1.html

So what does this mean?

It means that there's going to be No "waggle" during normal smash battles.

I love waggle, but thank God.

Yeah, but that was way back then. Not much later than E306, the Brawl team would have realised that have the remote as an option for control is mandatory.

Nintendo CANNOT sell Brawl without having the remote as an option. It simply cannot do it, or it will be jeaporadising its own sales.

Firestorm

Cosmozone said:

Did you quote the wrong post? I just said there will definitely be a Nunchuck + WiiMote option. I even said that the in-game tutorials (if any) will use it as the example. Will GCN controller provide an advantage? Probably.

And what's so weird about a Classic Controller being included with the game? Did Nintendo not do this with the N64 Transfer Pak, N64 Rumble Pak, N64 Expansion Pak, GCN/GBA Link Cable, GBA Wireless Adapter, GCN Mic, NDS Rumble Pak... Classic Controller is just an accessory.

Zeed

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Yeah, but that was way back then. Not much later than E306, the Brawl team would have realised that have the remote as an option for control is mandatory.

Nintendo CANNOT sell Brawl without having the remote as an option. It simply cannot do it, or it will be jeaporadising its own sales.
You know it could end up being compatible with the Wiimote but not feature waggle.

Firestorm

Alkaliine said:

Not much later than E3 06? It was in October. It was his response to player concerns. There will be no waggle but there will definitely be WiiMote use.

Cosmozone

I'd suggest ceasing discussion about how likely it is if and if yes by what extent motion sensing is in the standard (Wii controller) configuration until it is known. Just useless speculation. And discussing hypothetic controls is only worthwhile when naming a specific function and saying why you'd like or dislike it.

Edit: Where's the music from that Ness video from? It rocks.

ELS-01X

Banned
Firestorm said:
Nintendo would be stupid not to allow the WiiMote + Nunchuk as an option. Or at least WiiMote + Classic Controller with Classic Controller bundled with the game. It will likely be what they use for any tutorials they might have in game. After all, the ones who'll be using the GCN controller almost definitely will have played the game before.

Anyway, either the fact that I haven't been watching any SSBM videos lately has messed up my eyes or M2K and PC Chris got even faster o_o;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowKCUQX4v4

Or maybe it's the shaky camera? That's the Evo East finals that happened yesterday.
WOWOWOW at that Marth

Cosmozone

Firestorm said:
Did you quote the wrong post? I just said there will definitely be a Nunchuck + WiiMote option.
I was expanding on it. Only the first sentence was directly related to it. Sorry, if that was confusing. Still, when having several options, a "main" configuration is a very minor thing, technically. It's just the default option the game offers.

Man, Guitar Hero/DDR is never going to sell. Bundle with a controller? That's just ridiculous. They have to design it around the controller that came with the system

Keru_Shiri said:
Man, Guitar Hero/DDR is never going to sell. Bundle with a controller? That's just ridiculous. They have to design it around the controller that came with the system

:lol Except Smash would be the exact opposite scenario. Instead of enticing people to play your game with an innovative new controller, you tell people they CAN'T play with their awesome new Wiimote and need to go buy a standard controller instead.

Keru_Shiri said:

DDR and Guitar Hero can not really be enjoyed with a standard controller. But SSBB would be perfectly playable and enjoyable with the WiiMote/Nunchuk controllers.

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
Nah, I think you just haven't watched or played in a while because thats the usual speed of Smashers

Yeah. Haven't had my Smash fix in a while. Different campus for the summer and no time for friends house for Smash because of work. I remember when M2K was scared crapless of playing PC Chris... what happened? I hear he's done great recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom