• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobix

Michan said:
He mentions fleeing from the attack, so I guess the character builds up (rapidly) and unleashes the attack on the screen as-is.

God I hope so. It would kill the action, just as in Mario Tennis and the Naruto games for GCN

Yeah I do hope the move just plays out without going into an unskippable animation. I definatly like the way the item's presented as well. I can see many crazy fights for it in the future.

Ashodin

Danthrax said:
Yeah, it's kinda odd, since it's an item, but he didn't put it in the items section... it might just be because it's a new idea to the game.

...or you won't be able to turn Smash Balls off like normal items. =O
hardcore smash bros players playing only melee confirmed :lol

2Dcube

Boum ! Boum ! BoumboumboumBOUM !

¡Bum! ¡Bam! ¡REQUETEBUM!

Via!!! BambambambamBAM!

ドドドドドドドドドドド。

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Smiles and Cries said:
these updates are strange... they could have posted Link's final smash since it is in the video. They could have updated Pit too
Then they wouldn't have anything for tomorrow.

Seriously, if they truly are going to update every weekday from now until release, they're going to have to eventually start posting the most inane things.

"THE MAIN MENU IS BLUE! BLUE LIKE THE SKY! WOO LOOK AT IT!"

Michan

Shinobix said:
God I hope so. It would kill the action, just as in Mario Tennis and the Naruto games for GCN

I think the close-ups are just to make the trailers look snazzy. If they go for close-ups when the power moves are used, I'll be stunned. It's very unlikely that they will, as Smash is such a fast-paced game and requires the whole screen.

OMG at Mario's Final Smash! I didn't like SSBM as much as I thought I would because I missed the supers!

Yikes. I cannot wait to find out the Final Smash of the other characters!

I also predict meltdowns tomorrow because everyone will be expecting another megaton update after this one.

One last thing, I request a namechange to reflect the new pictures of Final Smash!

My take on the FINAL SMASH: The Smash Ball it seems to say it is a rare event item
it may only show up once per battle and with only one showing up I don't see it as breaking the gameplay as long as you know to run when someone starts his Final Smash animation

edit: sleepy

JohnTinker said:
Then they wouldn't have anything for tomorrow.

Seriously, if they truly are going to update every weekday from now until release, they're going to have to eventually start posting the most inane things.

"THE MAIN MENU IS BLUE! BLUE LIKE THE SKY! WOO LOOK AT IT!"

:lol

It'll probably end up doing something similar to Naruto: GNT's X-combo moves.

That is, moves that stop the gameplay for half a second to show the person starting the move, but the other player(s) still move around after that scene. Itachi's exploding Bushin comes to mind. Or Neji's Explosive Heavenly Spin move.

I like that it can only be used once, though. It could be the ultimate tide-turner or a huge "OH **** WHY DIDN'T THAT HIT I AM SO SCREWED" move.

...shit. Now I want Brawl with voice chat.

ShockingAlberto said:
It'll probably end up doing something similar to Naruto: GNT's X-combo moves.

That is, moves that stop the gameplay for half a second to show the person starting the move, but the other player(s) still move around after that scene. Itachi's exploding Bushin comes to mind. Or Neji's Explosive Heavenly Spin move.

I like that it can only be used once, though. It could be the ultimate tide-turner or a huge "OH **** WHY DIDN'T THAT HIT I AM SO SCREWED" move.

...shit. Now I want Brawl with voice chat.

You know this game would need to be delayed til next year to put all of the ideas GAF comes up with :lol

We can't have it all, after all this is Nintendo where online play is often questionable

Neomoto

Great update. Even the first time (of many) that I saw the e3 trailer I thought that "Mario's super move" was ridiculously awesome. Link's Final Smash looked amazing too in the trailer.

scottnak

ShockingAlberto said:
You know

I don't know how Sakurai did it

but part of me is actually kind of disappointed we didn't get Pit's other two special moves.

... :eek:
First they get GAFfers to wail many hours before "Japan Time" can be considered to have started, then have them strung along for 2 hours worth throughout the wii hours (horrible)... plus this too? Amazing. Haha.

Who was the guy in here that thought Final Smash's were out of the game because they'd only shown them in the first trailer? I don't like to make people look bad but this is a case of we told you so

it’s best to release this from a slight floating or midair position on either the left or right side of the screen.

Anyway, can you just imagine being in a match with someone about to use Mario's?

"OMG he's got his final smash!!"
*Hits Mario so he's flying on his back*
*Releases huge flame towards the top of the screen*

Nemesis_

Zoramon089 said:
Who was the guy in here that thought Final Smash's were out of the game because they'd only shown them in the first trailer? I don't like to make people look bad but this is a case of we told you so

Anyway, can you just imagine being in a match with someone about to use Mario's?

"OMG he's got his final smash!!"
*Hits Mario so he's flying on his back*
*Releases huge flame towards the top of the screen*
*imagines*

AWESOME =D

justchris

Hmmm, looks nice, as long as the Final Smash doesn't pause for animation the way it does in the trailer.

Looks like you'd do better running toward Mario though, since it seems to be wider the farther away you are.

Gee

Looks like final smash is an item.
Whiners(tournament fighters) can turn it off, so everbody's happy

Neo Child

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
They better not use final smash to screw up SSBB like they used the special moves to screw up mario tennis on GC.

Uh, friggin whiners. You can turn the special moves off in Mario Tennis so it never screwed it up. It just gave you an option. Can't you see that and stop using it as an excuse?!

These could go either way. If they're unavoidable, canned-animation attacks like they seem to be in the trailer... I think they'll get old pretty fast. Especially if they interrupt the action, so that two players get to stop in the middle of a 4-player battle and watch a canned-animation that they are not even a part of, such as Link's Final Smash that hits only one person. Hopefully there will be more strategy and versatility than that. Damn you Sakurai, your updates are vague as hell.

At least we'll know the answers after E3 in a month!

Akinola

Goku as clone as Mario confirmed~

But seriously, I like how they deemed it a "Final Smash."

I'm now worried that Brawl is going to become as monotonous as Melee cause competitive play takes all the quirkiness out of the game by turning off EVERYTHING.

Who's the ass that says it should be like that...?

So now that we have confirmation that this thing is an item, it kind of throws a monkey wrench into the idea that Samus becomes ZS Samus only after performing her Final Smash. C'mon, that'd suck a LOT if that the only way to play as ZS Samus. I want to play as her whenever I want!

radiuhm

Loving the new item, wonder how you activate it. In the video was that move Link used on Mario caused by a smash ball, cause unlike marios the one link didn't seem like an AoE. Either way, can't wait for new game play vid.

Dr.Hadji

Akinola said:
I'm now worried that Brawl is going to become as monotonous as Melee cause competitive play takes all the quirkiness out of the game by turning off EVERYTHING.

Who's the ass that says it should be like that...?

Why must this ignorance persist.

Zeed

Banned
HEY WASTINGPENGUINS

I DIDN'T THINK I'D GET TO SAY THIS SO SOON...

Zyid said:
Super Smash attacks are still in but apparently triggered by an item (which can be seen in the original trailer), which is a good idea.
WastingPenguins said:
They're still in, you say? You're sure? ... People talk about this stuff like it's a confirmed gameplay mechanic when we really have no idea...
Zyid said:
...I'd seriously doubt that they'd remove an entire feature from the game like that. If you suspect that that was removed, you can suspect any feature shown in any trailer of being removed simply because it wasn't shown on a periodic basis.

I'd bet you a permaban on them showing up in the final game. I predict it'll be added to the "How To Play" or "Items" section eventually as a regular update.
WastingPenguins said:
:lol You're so sure you'd bet a permanent ban? Ooookay...I just thought it was misleading for someone to ask, "So are those super attacks still in the game?" and for someone to answer "yep, still in!"
Zyid said:
No, see, you're still being rediculous. That kind of bizzaro logic could be applied to any feature of any game ever...You seem to think that to reasonably assume something still exists you must see it on a strict periodic basis. That. Is. Rediculous.

...BUT I TOLD YOU SO!

superbank said:
I'm telling you guys, Sakurai must be reading Gaf! First, after I complain about eye animations most pictures released afterwards had their eyes in different positions. Then some people argue whether super smash moves are in the game and Final Smashes appear. Surely Sakurai is among us!
/lunatic

Good item. Mario is my main character in Melee so this is awesome.

mario_070529b-l.jpg

look at that pose

mario_070529c-l.jpg

I will bring sweet firey death upon all of you

I say WOW. And then don't say me that Wii graphics is pure crap.

Zyid said:
HEY WASTINGPENGUINS

I DIDN'T THINK I'D GET TO SAY THIS SO SOON...

...BUT I TOLD YOU SO!

Oh, c'mon. I never said I thought they'd be taken out of the game. You guys are puttin' words in my mouth.:lol

But I agree, I'm sure those things will be in the game!

Keep in mind that I was responding, specifically, to a post where someone asked "Are the Super Smashes still in?", to which someone else responded, "Yes, the Super Smashes are indeed still in!" My point was that, when you get a trailer that's 90% cinematics, as that first trailer was, I could imagine a scenario, perhaps an unlikely one, where we got Brawl and found out that those 'super-attacks' were also just cinematics. Why that was so crazy to you guys I have no idea. I'm not at all surprised to see that they're in the game-- as I said repeatedly, I expected it. It just bugs me how frequently Brawl speculation gets out of hand and people start stating it as fact, citing nonexistent interviews to back up their claims.

"Guys Sakurai said it in an interview! They are called 'Super Smash Attacks' and to do one you have to build up your 'Super Smash Gauge' then grab the 'Super Smash Orb', and once you're at high damage you can do your most ultimate attack. Sakurai said so."

etc etc

Let's move on and stop killing the thread. :lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Blutonium said:
So Wario's final smash is a nukefart? :lol
I heard it builds up during the battle. IIRC it is called Wario's Waft.

mario_070529c-l.jpg

Knowing me, I'll probably end up releasing this attack facing the wrong way.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
Keep in mind that I was responding, specifically, to a post where someone asked "Are the Super Smashes still in?", to which someone else responded, "Yes, the Super Smashes are indeed still in!" ...It just bugs me how frequently Brawl speculation gets out of hand and people start stating it as fact, citing nonexistent interviews to back up their claims.
Penguin, you still don't get it. The thing that sets what I said apart from speculation is that speculation has no concrete basis in fact. When I said Super Smashes (or, as we now know they're called, Final Smashes) would end up being in the game, I was referencing a feature that was in fact already demonstrated in a trailer. There was no guesswork involved, it was not speculation, and your repeated attempts to label it as such are, quite simply, wrong. It was a solid, correct statement, which is why I was willing to bet a perm on it.

In contrast, your notion that the Final Smashes might have been removed from the game was in fact completely baseless. You were the one who was speculating wildly. And before you mention again that you thought that the feature would probably end up in the game, keep in mind that "speculation" indicates inconclusiveness. You were guessing. And what's worse, you were attacking established fact with nothing but your own guesswork.

WastingPenguins said:
Let's move on and stop killing the thread.
If you don't want to continue the conversation, all you have to do is not reply.

JCX

WastingPenguins said:
So now that we have confirmation that this thing is an item, it kind of throws a monkey wrench into the idea that Samus becomes ZS Samus only after performing her Final Smash. C'mon, that'd suck a LOT if that the only way to play as ZS Samus. I want to play as her whenever I want!

I'm guessing that ZS samus is in to replace Sheik. They look like they'll play similarly. so maybe if regular samus is gone, then mega mean can replace her. I'd like regular samus in though.

Zyid said:
Penguin, you still don't get it. The thing that sets what I said apart from speculation is that speculation has no concrete basis in fact. When I said Super Smashes (or, as we now know they're called, Final Smashes) would end up being in the game, I was referencing a feature that was in fact already demonstrated in a trailer. There was no guesswork involved, it was not speculation, and your repeated attempts to label it as such are, quite simply, wrong. It was a solid, correct statement, which is why I was willing to bet a perm on it.

In contrast, your notion that the Final Smashes might have been removed from the game was in fact completely baseless. You were the one who was speculating wildly. And before you mention again that you thought that the feature would probably end up in the game, keep in mind that "speculation" indicates inconclusiveness. You were guessing. And what's worse, you were attacking established fact with nothing but your own guesswork.

If you don't want to continue the conversation, all you have to do is not reply.

Eh, what the hell, let's continue.

Wario rides a motorcycle in that trailer, so that means he'll ride it in the game, right? Nope.

See what I'm saying?

I wasn't saying "guys I t think those super-attacks will be taken out" (as I'm strangely being accused of by some people). I was saying, "All we know is that there SEEM to be some super attacks in the game based on that trailer, but we can't really know for sure whether or not they'll be in the game or if they were just whipped up to showcase the characters, as most of that trailer was. Not to mention that the Link and Kirby super-attacks don't resemble gameplay at all, so perhaps they were just cinematics meant to showcase those characters kicking ass. We just can't know for sure yet."

But man, I can't wait to ride the Wario Cycle around! <--Not speculation, this has a "concrete basis in fact" :D

ant1532

Banned
JCX9 said:
I'm guessing that ZS samus is in to replace Sheik. They look like they'll play similarly. so maybe if regular samus is gone, then mega mean can replace her. I'd like regular samus in though.
Regular Samus has been confirmed to be in the game. I don't understand the whole Samus and Megaman too similar thing. They have ONE similarity. And that is the power beam. One move. One. Samus has morph ball, screw attack, fire gun ect. Rockman would probably have a super slide kick as his down b, super adapter(rush jet pack) as up b, limited time weapon copy as forward b, ect.

No, but this is some of you

"OMG. OMG! Megaman looks so stupid! He doesn't fit into the hard core bad ass Smash like Snake! Megaman is retarded. he has a gun like Samus if he was in OMG! TEH RUINED!"

Shut up drama queens. (btw this aint directed at you JCX9 :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom