• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JUNE 2013 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + more!

eXistor

In better condition than I expected, it's pretty mint.
CuoawjO.jpg

Rasec

After many years away from it, I felt the pull to get back into music production again, and finally gave in. Dug my keyboard up from the basement and ordered up some new toys...

Native Instruments Maschine MK2:
nJFr6S4.jpg

Native Instruments Komplete 9 for a little (!) softsynth goodness, along with a stand for the aforementioned Maschine:
v8hE9iU.jpg

Roland UM-ONE mk2 MIDI interface, an additional Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to hold all the above software, and a tabletop sheet music stand:
MDOW2WD.jpg

Now all I need is a proper DAW... time to try out some demos!

damn, that Maschine mk2 looks good! *__*
Now you got me intrigued about playing with music production.
But the price is a little big xP
Maybe it's a to big investment for someone who wants to learn and play with sounds.

And i'm still thinking in getting a dj table, like the numark idj pro since i could use my ipad as the brain of the unit.
Well, still i don't know what's the best gadgets to start learning about music production.

eXistor

Just delivered: some fangamer stuffs.

Gonna find me some frames for these bad-boys and hang 'em in my game room.

lHhhTRW.jpg

Zelda Master key, slightly bigger than the small key they made, which was really small.

F1kHce6.jpg

They also included this awesome little sticker (they always do this kind of thing, I love fangamer that way) which just makes me want to go out and get a tattoo of t right now. I'm kind of in love with the design.

bhwcdbj.jpg

kikori

Neo Member
Awesome stuff! What kind of music do you produce?
Thanks! Honestly, my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since I last did anything, so I feel like I have a blank canvas right now. I kind of want to explore some different kinds of electronic music (melodic/baeleric trance in particular) to more orchestral, soundtrack-type stuff. If I could do anything remotely close to what Jimmy Hinson does, I'd be happy!

Now you got me intrigued about playing with music production.
But the price is a little big xP

Well, still i don't know what's the best gadgets to start learning about music production.
They actually also make a smaller unit called the Maschine Mikro, which is about 2/3 the price. You lose some knobs and features, but I believe the underlying software is the same. I highly recommend hitting up your local music store to try out whatever gear they have on display, and on the software side there are definitely free demos and open-source options you can play around with before making a commitment.

haikira

My June Pickups

Chinatown BD & 12 Angry Men BD
To my shame, I've never seen 12 Angry Men. Looking forward to finally seeing it. I've seen and love Chinatown though and can't wait to watch the BD for it.

Also ordered The Odd Couple, but it's nowhere to be seen :(
sam_0357rrs6j.jpg

Luther Series 01 & 02 DVD Boxset
Already watched it all before on the American Netflix. Ironically, it's not on the UK Netflix over here. Planning to watch it with some friends who haven't seen it before, to get them caught up for season 03.
sam_0358z0sim.jpg

Dark Souls PC & Remember Me PC
I've completed and loved Demon's Souls, but to my shame, haven't completed Dark Souls. The time has now come to do so. Haven't touched Remember Me yet also, but looking forward to giving it a go sometime.
sam_0363npsga.jpg

Samsung 840 Pro 512GB & SSD Bracket
Going to install this tonight. It's been a long time coming for me. Can't wait to feel the speed!

Was planning to go for 256GB, but the 256 on amazon went up in price and at the same time, the 512 went down. The temptation got the better of me.
sam_03661ksre.jpg

So i bought these new for $119 and it was the best deal i could find.

I went to E3 and i liked that they would work for PS4 and went with these over regular wireless headset. I like them

I like how they sound (for games) and i had $280 in store credit to burn.

lIBRzRH.jpg

So basically for PS4.

haikira

So i bought these new for $119 and it was the best deal i could find.

I went to E3 and i liked that they would work for PS4 and went with these over regular wireless headset. I like them

I like how they sound (for games) and i had $280 in store credit to burn.

lIBRzRH.jpg

So basically for PS4.

I'm getting really tempted to grab a pair of these, after all I've heard about them in TLoU threads. You'll have to let me know how you find them.

I'm getting really tempted to grab a pair of these, after all I've heard about them in TLoU threads. You'll have to let me know how you find them.

Actually that is the second game i tried them with and it is amazing.

Honestly when i took them off and used my plasma speakers i did not feel as immersed.

I never thought i would buy a pair of surround sound headsets but after i tried them at E3 on PS4 stations i knew i wanted a pair.

Rasec

Thanks! Honestly, my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since I last did anything, so I feel like I have a blank canvas right now. I kind of want to explore some different kinds of electronic music (melodic/baeleric trance in particular) to more orchestral, soundtrack-type stuff. If I could do anything remotely close to what Jimmy Hinson does, I'd be happy!

They actually also make a smaller unit called the Maschine Mikro, which is about 2/3 the price. You lose some knobs and features, but I believe the underlying software is the same. I highly recommend hitting up your local music store to try out whatever gear they have on display, and on the software side there are definitely free demos and open-source options you can play around with before making a commitment.

thanks for the info. after writting the post i was reading some info and found about the Mikro and saw some videos and reviews. guess it would be a better option for starters.

but you're right and i guess i'll go to my local music store and have a feel for the gear they have there.

the software side i played with fl-studio for some years. guess it's time to see what else i've been missing. xP

Sylver

Banned
My last june pick-up three Steam games.
c30Qwp2.png

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - I had this on disc but I'm trying to get all my collection digital, so.
Street Fighter IV: AE complete pack.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Steam is awesome :D

That's cool. I've never heard of Jimmy Hinson but he's got some cool stuff. Me personally I love producing electro house. It's my favorite genre of electronic music. Artists like Zedd, Dada Life, Porter Robinson and others inspire me to make that.

Fantomex

My last june pick-up three Steam games.
c30Qwp2.png

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - I had this on disc but I'm trying to get all my collection digital, so.
Street Fighter IV: AE complete pack.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Steam is awesome :D

I keep hearing great things about The Masquerade, I wonder how well it's held up.

upandaway

Man, this took its sweet sweet time to get here (but just in time for the promotion :D). The phillips is also pretty great.

Deals in action:
- 3DS XL for £119
- Free NSMB2 (will arrive later)
- £40 delivery fee waived (<3 amazon)
- Free game from the So Many Games promotion

Satisfied

Bonus pictures of the case and pouch:

Man, this took its sweet sweet time to get here (but just in time for the promotion :D). The phillips is also pretty great.

Deals in action:
- 3DS XL for £119
- Free NSMB2 (will arrive later)
- £40 delivery fee waived (<3 amazon)
- Free game from the So Many Games promotion

Satisfied

Bonus pictures of the case and pouch:
Can I ask you what wallpaper you are using? I see great mechs. Is it original or based on a IP?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
P1000064.jpg

I've been hearing lots of good things about this one, and I can't wait to start playing.

Man Im so tempted to see if there are still CE copies left around to buy online...but am way overbudget as is so dont think its going to happen D:

Did it come with the CD soundtrack? Because that's the best part of this port.

Sadly, no. But it shouldn't be hard to get one separately.

I am enjoying the game, though. It does a surprisingly good job of mimicking the arcade game...for a SNES port, anyway. Looking to get Killer Instinct Gold soon. I meant to get both back in the '90s, but never got around to it, for some reason.

BOTEC

Sadly, no. But it shouldn't be hard to get one separately.

I am enjoying the game, though. It does a surprisingly good job of mimicking the arcade game...for a SNES port, anyway. Looking to get Killer Instinct Gold soon. I meant to get both back in the '90s, but never got around to it, for some reason.

You're right, it actually isn't too bad. I just remember being so blown away by that soundtrack that I borrowed my friends copy, recorded it to cassette, and played it on loop on my walkman back in the day. Then, when modern computers happened, I borrowed it again, and made mp3's out of it. So fucking good.

Honestly when i took them off and used my plasma speakers i did not feel as immersed.

I never thought i would buy a pair of surround sound headsets but after i tried them at E3 on PS4 stations i knew i wanted a pair.

Thinking about getting these if I can use them with the PS4 too, do they work on the 360?

maverick40

I have had these since christmas and they are incredible. I also use them to listen to my music on the go and they work beautifully too.

Lucid07

After many years away from it, I felt the pull to get back into music production again, and finally gave in. Dug my keyboard up from the basement and ordered up some new toys...

Native Instruments Maschine MK2:
nJFr6S4.jpg

Native Instruments Komplete 9 for a little (!) softsynth goodness, along with a stand for the aforementioned Maschine:
v8hE9iU.jpg

Roland UM-ONE mk2 MIDI interface, an additional Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to hold all the above software, and a tabletop sheet music stand:
MDOW2WD.jpg

Now all I need is a proper DAW... time to try out some demos!

And last, but certainly not least, my Saints Row IV preorder:
Effn3Nf.jpg
That maschine, want!! May have to order one, although I have the ableton push coming, what is it like?

kikori

Neo Member
That's cool. I've never heard of Jimmy Hinson but he's got some cool stuff. Me personally I love producing electro house. It's my favorite genre of electronic music. Artists like Zedd, Dada Life, Porter Robinson and others inspire me to make that.
Very cool! It's nice to see other people interested in music production on GAF, I suppose I should see if there's a thread kicking around somewhere...

That maschine, want!! May have to order one, although I have the ableton push coming, what is it like?
I was only able to get everything set up late last night, so all I can really say after a few minutes of use is that the build quality seems solid and I like the feel and sensitivity of the pads. I think it actually looks a bit better in person than it does on video (the LEDs fill the buttons and pads nicely, but on video they seem more like white plastic with pinpoints of color). The couple of demo kits I loaded up sounded great.

I was actually also considering the Push before I bought this, but since I'm not 100% sure yet whether Ableton will be my DAW or not (it probably will), I didn't want to go down that road just yet... but maybe someday! :)

haikira

I recently made a wrap up post, of all the stuff I'd grabbed in June, thinking I wouldn't be getting anything else this month. But amazon decided to make a liar out of me and post something early. Stoker doesn't come out for sale here in the UK until Monday, which is when this was set to arrive, but here it is. I'd also bundled some SATA cables in the same order, which I wasn't in a rush for.

I never got to watch it during it's very short cinema run here, due to exams. Can't wait to watch it tonight.

sam_03750bsda.jpg

You're right, it actually isn't too bad. I just remember being so blown away by that soundtrack that I borrowed my friends copy, recorded it to cassette, and played it on loop on my walkman back in the day. Then, when modern computers happened, I borrowed it again, and made mp3's out of it. So fucking good.

The soundtrack is pretty damn amazing, yeah. Hah. I might pick up a copy of the CD at some point if I can.

Anyway:

-Mischief Makers (N64)

Thanks goes out to fellow GAF member, televator, for selling me this at a great price!

Probably gonna order a universal game case for it soon, too. I've never ordered one before since I normally buy only boxed games, but I'm very interested to see what those cases are like. I've heard great things about them.

Calmine

I'm also really interested in getting these as well. Don't know whether one may know. But how do they compare to the Corsair Vengeance 1500? I would primarily use them on PC.

Top Bottom