• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This secret develloper might be Tose. I mean its the only company that would be able to work on a such project without anyone knowing it. Just my guess.

Alkaliine said:
The only thing that puts me off is this:

Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)

Now he may just be referring to how this is Rdiley's music, I just hope he isn't meaning that this is the music that plays if you face Ridley in, say, Adventure mode. Or maybe it's just the music for a Norfair stage, in which Ridley is featured (and causes havoc).

Hopefully it really does mean he's included. :)

It's only named after what game it's from. Not Brawl. Look at the Yoshi music for example.

Yoshi's Story Ending is the music's name, yet the map is Yoshi's Island.

Will Ridley be in Brawl? Probably. Are the devs dumb enough to nerf the **** out of him, shrink him, and overall make him a pussy as a playable character? Or will they play it smart, safe, and awesome to please everyone and make him a bossfight? I pray for the latter option.

NotWii

Banned
I always wished you could fight classic Nintendo bosses in Adventure mode.
Mario Vs Bowser
Link Vs Ganon
Donkey Kong Vs K.Rool
Kirby Vs Dedede
Samus Vs Ridley
Captain Falcon Vs Black Shadow
Pikachu Vs Mewtwo
etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about Ridley being a playable character, I think that could **** up the balance unless they gimp him like Bowser...
He'd be suitable as a stage hazard though.

Jonk

I was thinking it would be awesome if there was a level where you would have to Run and Fight at the same time. I am not talking Ice climbers, I am talking horizontal. It would be one hell of a frenzy and I would think some sort of Metroid level with lava following behind them would rock.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mistouze said:
This secret develloper might be Tose. I mean its the only company that would be able to work on a such project without anyone knowing it. Just my guess.
Who would use TOSE on a "large scale game" yet alone 2?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mistouze said:
Never underestimate Nintendo's ability to keep a secret.

RagnarokX

I think the music is more indicative of the setting of the Metroid stage rather than Ridley being playable. It could happen, but I think it's more likely we are getting a stage set in Norfair or something, possibly with Ridley attacking in the background. Kraid had a stage in Melee (and Ridley appears in the oppening, ugly purple version blech).

The update was very awesome, Ridley confirmed player.. ? heehee... i think at the very least, Ridley will appear in the game in some shape or form.

PerkeyMan

The composer list and the Ridley track alone makes this my nr 1 most wanted game for 2007. Screw Galaxy and Halo 3 it's time to BRAWL baby! Yeah!

usea

I hate to be a negative nancy, but the quality on that song isn't so great. It might be the mixing, but for such a busy song you'd think they could give us a wider band or something. As for the arrangement itself, I like it.

Hero said:
Can anyone rip this to an mp3 format? I want this as my new ringtone.
Here you go. Ripped from the flash file, not recorded and re-encoded. Yes, the terrible compression is not my doing!

Argh, this song uses sounds that're supposed to mimic electric guitars and strings, why not use real guitars and stings nintendo, why?! The compositions are so well done... :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Souldriver said:
Argh, this song uses sounds that're supposed to mimic electric guitars and strings, why not use real guitars and stings nintendo, why?! The compositions are so well done... :(
Maybe it's like when the Phoenix Wright Orchestral soundtrack was announced. A few preview MP3 popped up that were obviously electronically done, however it was later revealed they were the compositions for the orchestra to follow and the final product will use real instruments.
Maybe the same could be applied to SSBB. We are simply getting a preview of the direction the songs are going in, but the end product will use real instruments.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my arse.

Filter

You think if Ridley was a new playable character that they would give it away by putting this track up first?
I doubt it.
would be a surprise ruined.

NotWii

Banned
Souldriver said:
I figure the tracks aren't finished yet, when they're all done, they'll hire people to do it for real.

BGBW said:
Maybe it's like when the Phoenix Wright Orchestral soundtrack was announced. A few preview MP3 popped up that were obviously electronically done, however it was later revealed they were the compositions for the orchestra to follow and the final product will use real instruments.
Maybe the same could be applied to SSBB. We are simply getting a preview of the direction the songs are going in, but the end product will use real instruments.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my arse.
I don't think you're talking out of your arse, but relying too much on wishful thinking. It's nintendo we're talking about. I don't think it's their priority to make 'real' music. They're masters in creating fantastic tunes, but the tunes are always synthesizer/midi. I remember the promise of orchestrated Zelda...

Oh god, just searching a bit on Youtube, and finding this: mental orgasm at 1:26.:D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Filter said:
You think if Ridley was a new playable character that they would give it away by putting this track up first?
I doubt it.
would be a surprise ruined.

If it was we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we?

Kreed

Wow, if they could do that with the Riley boss track I can't wait to hear the rest of the sound track. This is even better than the controller update IMO.

AntMurda

So, development would not be occurring at Hal Labs. But, the code and development environment of Super Smash Bros. Melee, which I had developed in the past, was offered. Having this versus not having this means the efficiency of the development changes dramatically, so I'm thankful.

The team started with Nintendo contracting Masahiro Sakurai (Sora Inc) (formerly HAL/Nintendo) and started a new development team with 20-30 Nintendo recruits. The team was given the engine and tools from Smash Bros Melee, and Sakurai states a few HAL staffers were able to join the team.

But we still didn't have enough people. To create a game like Super Smash Bros. Melee, I would want a team with a minimum of 50 people. Getting together that many people would be a back-breaking task.

The team was probably in the 35+ capacity and Sakurai wanted a 50+ team. So Shigeru Miyamoto introduced a "small mystery company with some tie to Nintendo" that was able to complete the team .

NotWii

Banned
Souldriver said:
Oh god, just searching a bit on Youtube, and finding this: mental orgasm at 1:26.:D
Great find :O
1:26+ is a redo of a orchestrated Zelda medley that Nintendo did during the Super Famicom era.

I'm 99% sure they'll do it for Zelda Wii, Kondo wanted to orchestrate TP but it seems they ran out of time or discspace cause Aonuma said Kondo was frustrated they couldn't do it.

Jirotrom

traveler said:
I thought Ridley had been confirmed as a playable character a while back. Was that story bogus or something?

Edit: Here's the link. It's also the same story that confirmed "Celda" Link and Bowser Jr., as well as some character cuts.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151290
that was fake...

anywho for midi, that sounds great but Metroid is based in a futuristic setting so midi doesnt hurt the feel of that series like say Zelda.

traveler

Not Wario
Jirotrom said:
that was fake...

anywho for midi, that sounds great but Metroid is based in a futuristic setting so midi doesnt hurt the feel of that series like say Zelda.

My bad then. Never saw it disputed and had always taken it as fact thinking that we simply hadn't seen footage of the three yet.

Jirotrom said:
that was fake...

Was it proven to be fake? I'm certain it is, but I can't recall ever seeing it confirmed.

This is the best update so far. A truly badass remix complete with thick crunchy guitars. I've listened to it 10 times already. I want the complete mix!

Someone on Smashboards hit this little pot of gold...

No idea who, otherwise I'd credit them. I got it from Penny Arcade, myself.

If you right click the world icon image gifs and check out the source location name.. you get numbers for each series.. Kid Icarus is 18. That could mean a minimum of 18 game series in Brawl
1.Smash Brothers
3. StarFox
4. Kirby
6. Metroid
8.Pokemon
9.Zelda
10. Mario
11.Yoshi
18. Kid Icarus

So.. 18 series. Time to fill in the gaps. Not that this is a limit at all, there could be MORE... and also there's plenty of characters who in Melee shared (Fox/Falco, Mario/Peach/Bowser, Link/Zelda/Ganondorf) ..but yeah. Interesting.

Jirotrom

Alkaliine said:
Was it proven to be fake? I'm certain it is, but I can't recall ever seeing it confirmed.
I can't remember the details as that was a long time ago but I remember all the excitement about it and then some source confirming it as fake just cant remember who.

NotWii

Banned
APZonerunner said:

So.. 18 series. Time to fill in the gaps. Not that this is a limit at all, there could be MORE... and also there's plenty of characters who in Melee shared (Fox/Falco, Mario/Peach/Bowser, Link/Zelda/Ganondorf) ..but yeah. Interesting.
Good detective work!

I should've checked :/

APZonerunner said:

Well Metal Gear Solid is one for sure. Earthbound, F-Zero and Fire Emblem are most likely ones.

Artanisix

APZonerunner said:

If you right click the world icon image gifs and check out the source location name.. you get numbers for each series.. Kid Icarus is 18. That could mean a minimum of 18 game series in Brawl
1.Smash Brothers
3. StarFox
4. Kirby
6. Metroid
8.Pokemon
9.Zelda
10. Mario
11.Yoshi
18. Kid Icarus

Well Metal Gear Solid is one of them then. And would Wario count as his own, or would he be paired with Mario? And why is Smash Brothers there... Which makes me think it might just be stages... but why would they make stages of series that aren't in the game... MIND-BOGGLING!!??

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Artanisix said:
And would Wario count as his own, or would he be paired with Mario?
Wario has his own icon, so he'd count as his own series.

So we're missing out of the known characters:
Metal Gear Solid
Wario

The other icons from Melee are:
F-Zero
Donkey Kong
Earthbound
Fire Emblem
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers

That is a total of eight, however there are nine blank spaces.

BGBW said:
Wario has his own icon, so he'd count as his own series.

So we're missing out of the known characters:
Metal Gear Solid
Wario

The other icons from Melee are:
F-Zero
Donkey Kong
Earthbound
Fire Emblem
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers

That is a total of eight, however there are nine blank spaces.
This is even assuming all those characters return. G&W and Ice Climbers could easily be getting the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom