• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trigger Happy Havoc Dangan Ronpa: Early 2014 for US and Europe

Aytrial

I just watched the first episode of the anime and I'm getting serious VLR vibes, which is a good thing! My hype meter has gone through the roof now for this release.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, Takada is a god. Grasshopper should've locked him in the office and never let him leave.

Was kind of hoping they'd rename him Monobear or something localized.

I'm hoping they think really hard about the casting, then. I'm not usually a big sub enthusiast, but the JP track is really good.
Plus, they're going to have to find people with wide ranges for certain things. I trust they know what they're doing.

I wonder if NISA will make the casting choices or if Funi will or if they'll work together on making the casting choices.

Anyone claimed the OT yet?

I don't mind doing it.

I never thought this would actually happen. Shit...I was just praying for a Vita port just yesterday morning. It's happening. Vita will be used heavily next year, especially with Demon Gaze coming out the same time. Vita purchase officially worth the money.

Markun

tumblr_mo64o1nfIK1qhhv13o1_400.gif

Oh man, I was so preoccupied with FFXIV Reborn yesterday that I didn't even notice this. Well time to get a Vita then.

Mupod

slightly more interested in a vita now, I might keep this PS plus sub active for a while to build up a game collection then. This last month alone has already had most of the games for the system I actually want.

I'm sure by next year I'll be able to get one with a decent memory stick for a pittance.

GhaleonQ

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I just saw this. Purchase on sight, adventure fans. It's had enough fan support here that I'm not super-surprised, but like this and now? Hooray!

Thanks! He's such a great composer. Hype levels rising...rising...

Yep, both soundtracks made my soundtrack of the year longlists.

Houk

NISA
Heya, longtime lurker, basically first-time poster (haven't posted since 2006, holy crap).

Anyway, I'm the script editor on Dangan Ronpa and since I think it's super duper level awesome and I'm positively giddy that people are looking forward to it so much, I thought I'd throw out a couple quick things.

- The plan right now is to have dual audio, so unless something crazy happens, that should be set.

- We're working on casting right now. Yes we're taking it very seriously, and yes some of these characters are a very big pain in the butt to try and find the right actor.

- We were/are aware of the fan translation, but we determined pretty early on that for a number of reasons, doing everything in-house was the way for us to go. I don't think I can really get more specific than that.

- I don't know what the timeline looks like, but it will be coming to Europe.

- I can't say anything about physical/digital cuz we haven't started working on that, but if you look at our history, pretty much the only things that have been digital are later PSP titles (with the exception of Clan of Champions, which...yeah).

- I can't really say anything about the sequel either, but I can say that everyone should buy copies of Dangan 1 for all their friends and family.

- With how much exposure the story already has, I'm sure our version will disappoint a few people no matter what we do, but everyone working on the game is super pumped about it and we hope our effort comes across, even for those who don't necessarily dig it.

If people have any other questions, I can do my best to answer, but no promises on that end!

wrowa

"Super duper level" is kind of an interesting choice of words there. Did you use it in reference to the fan translation or are you also using the "super duper" terms?

Durante

- The plan right now is to have dual audio, so unless something crazy happens, that should be set.
I'd just like to note that there are some of us who greatly appreciate NISA's continued dedication to dual audio releases.

Are you working on more Vita games than the ones you've announced?

Blink one for yes.

Blink twice for no.

edit: tell your buddies we really really want Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus and you're our only hope. Also bring the limited edition to EU, I'll preorder it the minute it gets announced. Love you for bringing in Dangan Ronpa officially as I've been wanting it since 2010.

Heya, longtime lurker, basically first-time poster (haven't posted since 2006, holy crap).

Anyway, I'm the script editor on Dangan Ronpa and since I think it's super duper level awesome and I'm positively giddy that people are looking forward to it so much, I thought I'd throw out a couple quick things.

- I can't say anything about physical/digital cuz we haven't started working on that, but if you look at our history, pretty much the only things that have been digital are later PSP titles (with the exception of Clan of Champions, which...yeah).

If people have any other questions, I can do my best to answer, but no promises on that end!

When If you do do a physical release, I hope you make a Super Duper Awesome Limited Edition set. Like Monobear plushie super duper.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is the second game to really make me want to get a Vita (the first was Ys). This will definitely be on my list of titles to look out for.

chrono01

- We're working on casting right now. Yes we're taking it very seriously, and yes some of these characters are a very big pain in the butt to try and find the right actor.

- We were/are aware of the fan translation, but we determined pretty early on that for a number of reasons, doing everything in-house was the way for us to go. I don't think I can really get more specific than that.

- I can't really say anything about the sequel either, but I can say that everyone should buy copies of Dangan 1 for all their friends and family.

- With how much exposure the story already has, I'm sure our version will disappoint a few people no matter what we do, but everyone working on the game is super pumped about it and we hope our effort comes across, even for those who don't necessarily dig it.

Thanks for your hard work!

I think I speak for many here when I say that the announcement of Danganronpa's localization was very-welcome news. I've been following the game for a while since its release, so seeing an officially-released product over here in North America [preferably in a Special Edition box with bonus items!] excites me. It's been a long time coming, but I have full confidence that it will be worth the wait.

In the mean-time, I will spread the word of Danganronpa and try to get as many people as I can to buy/support the series when it's released. We need Danganronpa II [in addition to Danganronpa I, of course]!

Either way, I'm looking forward to the first installment. I'm trying to remain as "spoiler-free" as I can, so here's hoping that continues!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Are you allowed to say if the casting/English cast will be used/is the same for the anime that Funimation licensed? Otherwise, great to see this get localized. Wasn't aware of the series beforehand, but after checking out what it's about, I'm really excited to play this. Hopefully sales will be good enough to warrant the sequel here.

Labrys

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad you're taking it seriously yes, for the sake of a few certain characters. You actually work in the industry though, so I trust you.

Houk

NISA
"Super duper level" is kind of an interesting choice of words there. Did you use it in reference to the fan translation or are you also using the "super duper" terms?

That was just me being a little playful. We haven't finalized the terminology just yet, but we'll probably be going with something a little less of a mouthful than 'super duper high school level'.

Are you working on more Vita games than the ones you've announced?

There aren't any open projects right now, but there's some stuff we're looking at. Very specific, I know.

If you do do a physical release, I hope you make a Super Duper Awesome Limited Edition set. Like Monobear plushie super duper.

Me too! We've never done a Vita limited edition, so I'd love to do something for this if possible. Spike is really excited for the project and easy to work with, so hopefully we can make something cool.

Are you allowed to say if the casting/English cast will be used/is the same for the anime that Funimation licensed?

I'm not actually sure how that's gonna work. I can't really speculate on Funimation's end, but I can say that we're casting on our own right now. But we do have open communication with them if need be.

I'm glad you're taking it seriously yes, for the sake of a few certain characters. You actually work in the industry though, so I trust you.

Yeah, it's pretty nerve-wracking. But if we pull it off well (especially those certain characters), I think it's gonna be really really awesome.

kewlmyc

That was just me being a little playful. We haven't finalized the terminology just yet, but we'll probably be going with something a little less of a mouthful than 'super duper high school level'.

There aren't any open projects right now, but there's some stuff we're looking at. Very specific, I know.

Me too! We've never done a Vita limited edition, so I'd love to do something for this if possible. Spike is really excited for the project and easy to work with, so hopefully we can make something cool.

I'm not actually sure how that's gonna work. I can't really speculate on Funimation's end, but I can say that we're casting on our own right now. But we do have open communication with them if need be.

Yeah, it's pretty nerve-wracking. But if we pull it off well (especially those certain characters), I think it's gonna be really really awesome.

Will the version that you are bringing over have the "School Mode" in it from the Reload version of the game? A lot of people who've played the fan translation are wondering this.

Also, thank you so much for bringing this over officially to the west. You guys are truly awesome.

NotLiquid

Erin Fitzgerald needs to be Aoi.

I remember jokingly saying Troy Baker doing a voice. As Labrys said I could see him as Mondo, but I'd probably side with Hagakure if only because he did a good job being a feeble but excitable character in Catherine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Dual audio? Yesssssssss. The Japanese version has an amazing cast so this is great news.

Necrovex

Quite happy to see this game will have dual audio. Aksys showed me that high-quality Dub VA can happen for VNs. So, my hope is high that NIS will create a high-quality dub for this game!

Though I'm already enjoying the fan translation, I will definitely pick up the Vita release to show my support. Thanks for everything you're doing Houk!

With that in mind, how do you plan to tackle the more risqué dialogue and swearing? The game can be pretty dark at times, and I'm hoping that you guys won't feel the need to soften the game up - though I understand that you'll want to reach as wide an audience as possible.

GamerJM

Banned

:D. Sounds like you guys are taking this project very seriously. Hope you're successful and can bring DR2 over!

Eusis

I recall a game from the Cladun guys for PS3 was PSN only here, but that was basically Cladun 3 as I recall and the first came at a time when PSP was still getting a somewhat healthy amount of retail releases so I can see that being an exception for similar reasons.

Though, I'm kinda hoping for a decent LE pack. Honestly I'd probably stick mainly digital on Vita if storage space weren't the premium it was given how screwed over physical packages have been due to that apparent manual ban in America, but a decent LE could be nice to see.
Though I'm already enjoying the fan translation, I will definitely pick up the Vita release to show my support. Thanks for everything you're doing Houk!

With that in mind, how do you plan to tackle the more risqué dialogue and swearing? The game can be pretty dark at times, and I'm hoping that you guys won't feel the need to soften the game up - though I understand that you'll want to reach as wide an audience as possible.
Well, they released Ar Tonelico and Mugen Souls at an M, though that's for very different reasons I'd assume. At any rate I'd assume/hope that if they did anything there it's more for tonal concerns than an attempt to reach a wider audience.

Great to hear, but the one thing that I'm interested to hear is if are you targeting an uncensored release. DR gets a bit, heavy at times and there's some elements the ESRB and PEGI probably will take issue with. Planning to tackle that as well?

Houk

NISA
Will the version that you are bringing over have the "School Mode" in it from the Reload version of the game?

I have to assume so, but it hasn't really come up so I can't make a definitive statement. I'll see if we can get in touch with the devs about it this week to make sure.

how do you plan to tackle the more risqué dialogue and swearing? The game can be pretty dark at times, and I'm hoping that you guys won't feel the need to soften the game up

Given what's already in the game in terms of violence/gore/etc. we've pretty much accepted a possible M rating, so we're not really softening the language in that way.

But like Eusis mentioned, tone is a big concern. Too much swearing, or especially swearing that just feels forced/out of place, can wreck the tone pretty easily and pull the player out of the scene. So most of the characters don't go too far in that direction, but for the characters where swearing fits their personality, we're definitely not shying away from it when it helps reinforce the situation/emotion.

I recall a game from the Cladun guys for PS3 was PSN only here, but that was basically Cladun 3

Oh yeah, Legasista! Good catch. But still, as long as we think there's an audience to support a game (which this definitely seems to have), physical is always on the table.

Houk

NISA
Great to hear, but the one thing that I'm interested to hear is if are you targeting an uncensored release. DR gets a bit, heavy at times and there's some elements the ESRB and PEGI probably will take issue with. Planning to tackle that as well?

I touched on it a bit in the post right above here, but yeah, we don't have any plans to take anything out of the game or change any dialogue to lighten it up. We actually released a game a few years ago called Soul Nomad which got into some pretty heavy stuff (suicide, child abuse, torture) and somehow that got a T. Every game is different of course, but we're confident it should be good to release as is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering the game got a D in Japan and the premise, I'm not gonna be surprised if it's rated M. But nice to hear none of the content will get changed or removed.

chrono01

I touched on it a bit in the post right above here, but yeah, we don't have any plans to take anything out of the game or change any dialogue to lighten it up. We actually released a game a few years ago called Soul Nomad which got into some pretty heavy stuff (suicide, child abuse, torture) and somehow that got a T. Every game is different of course, but we're confident it should be good to release as is.
The news just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you!

Well, they released Ar Tonelico and Mugen Souls at an M, though that's for very different reasons I'd assume. At any rate I'd assume/hope that if they did anything there it's more for tonal concerns than an attempt to reach a wider audience.

That's encouraging to read, and yeah, if the game receives an M (or an 18 rating in the UK for me) it will be for very different reasons than with those games. DR ain't all sunshine and panty shots.

Given what's already in the game in terms of violence/gore/etc. we've pretty much accepted a possible M rating, so we're not really softening the language in that way.

But like Eusis mentioned, tone is a big concern. Too much swearing, or especially swearing that just feels forced/out of place, can wreck the tone pretty easily and pull the player out of the scene. So most of the characters don't go too far in that direction, but for the characters where swearing fits their personality, we're definitely not shying away from it when it helps reinforce the situation/emotion.

Excellent! On that note, I think that you'll do this great game justice.

GamerJM

Banned
If you're answer questions, one question I have is this:
Why didn't you choose to contact the people working on a fan translation? I know you said you couldn't get more specific, and I understand if you don't really want to comment on this, but the people working on the fan translation said that they were perfectly willing to stop if they got a C&D, especially from a company working on an English localization. Thanks!

kewlmyc

I have to assume so, but it hasn't really come up so I can't make a definitive statement. I'll see if we can get in touch with the devs about it this week to make sure.

Oh yeah, Legasista! Good catch. But still, as long as we think there's an audience to support a game (which this definitely seems to have), physical is always on the table.

Thank you for your answers. Ah... I'll buy it at a high price.

Thats good to hear. I've read the excellent SA LP of it and from what I know of ratings systems there's parts I would have thought the ESRB and PEGI would slam brakes on straight away from their past behaviour but those are too spoiler filled to discuss here and I'm glad you are going to try get the game through intact. Thanks for the response.

cj_iwakura

Thats good to hear. I've read the excellent SA LP of it and from what I know of ratings systems there's parts I would have thought the ESRB and PEGI would slam brakes on straight away from their past behaviour but those are too spoiler filled to discuss here and I'm glad you are going to try get the game through intact. Thanks for the response.

It's been said that ESRB never encourage the censoring/removal of content, just that they want to know about everything objectionable in a given game.

GamerJM

Banned
It's been said that ESRB never encourage the censoring/removal of content, just that they want to know about everything objectionable in a given game.

This is true as long as there isn't straight up uncensored sex in the game (which there isn't).

kewlmyc

Compared to what usually gets released in the US, I don't really understand what is super super questionable about this game. Sure there's violence, but even that is censored to some degree with the pink blood.

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to the game.

I don't have any questions right now personally, but I would like to say that I'm very dedicated to supporting this game, and the hopefully eventual sequel.

kierwynn

Thank you for all of the information, Houk! I've been a fan of the series since reading the LP, so I was really excited to know we were getting an English release. I'm especially excited now. I look forward to playing the game when it's released and I'll definitely be encouraging my friends to get it as well.

cj_iwakura

My only recommendation is to translate Monokuma to Monobear or something similar, but that's a nitpick. I think translating is always better if it can be clever or suitable(see: Teddie in P4).

Houk

NISA
Why didn't you choose to contact the people working on a fan translation? I know you said you couldn't get more specific, and I understand if you don't really want to comment on this, but the people working on the fan translation said that they were perfectly willing to stop if they got a C&D, especially from a company working on an English localization. Thanks!

Yeah, a lot of that starts getting into contracts and agreements and NDAs, all between multiple groups and people, and is basically above my pay grade in terms of handling all that. So I can't really get into that side of things too much, sorry :(

My only recommendation is to translate Monokuma to Monobear or something similar, but that's a nitpick.

We actually worked on coming up with a bunch of different options, but nothing felt quite right. After talking with Spike, they really wanted to stick with his original name even for the English, so for our release that's what we'll be doing.

I know how you feel though, and generally we do try to do stuff like that whenever possible.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will this game be the cut version of the soon-to-be released Vita collection?

Also does Dangan Ronpa conclude a story? Is Dangan Ronpa a requirement to understand the 2nd one?

Top Bottom