• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

Yoday

Insta buy at $30 while $60 would have been a wait until a drought next year. Smart move Sony (seems to be a trend).

It's brilliant. Sure, it might slow down PS4 sales in the short term (although.. does the short term matter? PS4 is sold out!), but it builds something entirely more important: consumer confidence.

Consumers can buy a Sony product secure in the knowledge they will support the system with legit big titles for many, many years, even at the end of its life. This can reverberate and have positive repercussions when customers remember this when they are on the market for a PS4. It's called building good customer relations :)

I guess, but it feels like they're under cutting their chances a bit into next year, especially with a BC lack. Maybe they have more games to announce for Q1~Q2, but with a big chunk of 3rd party support around launch being cross-gen, you'd think that they'd want to provide as much reason to pick up the system as possible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I honestly don't understand Sony, they're pushing out The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer, Gran Turismo, & a God of War game for PS3 in 2013, but leaving PS4 to launch with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone. Surely 1 or 2 of those could have been cross-gen, or moved to PS4 exclusively.
It's only going to be an issue once Beyond and GT start hitting since that's so close to the PS4 launch. It's nice that we got TLoU, Ascension, and some other great stuff this year so it's not an obnoxious late gen drought.

Guymelef

Lol PS3.

And why's it only 30 bucks?

Maybe only arround double size than that
ratchet0.jpg

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This would have been so much better as a PS4 release...Maybe Sony can finally send Insomniac some PS4 dev kits ( :p ) and get this game running at 1080p/60fps with better effects...

Why is this game 29.99? That's cheaper than a retail release, but more expensive than their previous DLC title - quest for booty (which was $15, IIRC).

Is this a quasi-retail title? Or can we expect a long experience similar to that of ACiT?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
While it's not as big as A Crack in Time, it's much much larger than Q4B or FFA was. It's pretty meaty. New planets, lots of new weapons, lots of variety and stuff to do.

The only game in the series I played was Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, which I got for free from the PlayStation Network back when they were giving away games as an apology for being hacked. I really liked it, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it's a lot longer than Quest for Booty...

I'll probably go and get the earlier games at some point, too.

While it's not as big as A Crack in Time, it's much much larger than Q4B or FFA was. It's pretty meaty. New planets, lots of new weapons, lots of variety and stuff to do.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Veezy

que?
It's brilliant. Sure, it might slow down PS4 sales in the short term (although.. does the short term matter? PS4 is sold out!), but it builds something entirely more important: consumer confidence.

Consumers can buy a Sony product secure in the knowledge they will support the system with legit big titles for many, many years, even at the end of its life. This can reverberate and have positive repercussions when customers remember this when they are on the market for a PS4. It's called building good customer relations :)

Ding, Ding.

PS2 still has (albeit, a few) titles coming out for it. Moves like this validate Sony's claim that the PS3 is going to be a supported platform for at least a few years to come. As somebody who's pretty invested in the Sony PSN ecosystem, I'm incredibly happy for that.

What disappoints me is the amount of people who might not buy the game because of its price. Right now, plenty of shit, full length, $60 games come out and for years people have asked for a mid-range price point. This game could very well be a solid, full length, $30 dollar title. If it's skipped over due to its lower price point, I'll be sad.

Amir0x

Banned
Man the trailer looks phenomenal. Oh God I am so excited right now.

I guess, but it feels like they're under cutting their chances a bit into next year. Maybe they have more games to announce for Q1~Q2, but with a big chunk of 3rd party support around launch being cross-gen, you'd think that they'd want to provide as much reason to pick up the system as possible.

MAYBE? They announced 5 out of 20 of their first year titles; of course they have more to announce. Relax and enjoy the gaming goodness :)

Espada

The price is nice, but it's even lower than Puppeteer (which is $39.99). I suspect this is just a PSN game with a retail version, rather than a full-fledged title. This sounds like it's intended to gauge interest for the franchise or wash their hands of R&C.

I'll wait for reviews before picking this one up.

jstevenson said:

That is EXCELLENT news.

Sounds awesome. Just played the though the Ratchet and Clank Collection. And my body is ready for more.

Really like the price tag too.

Amir0x

Banned
jstevenson said:

Fuck.

Yes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It must feel bad that the biggest reason why the original image teaser got so much attention is because everyone thought it was an unannounced 1st party PS4 exclusive. I really hope all that buzz doesn't fizzle out due it not only being an R&C, but a PS3 game.

I'm glad Insomniac is still committed to both platforms, though.

KAL2006

Banned

Okay so it's confirmed this isn't a full fledged title like Crack in Time but bigger than Q4B. I don't mind this as I tend to prefer short games.

Anyway PS3 keeps o giving, next prediction is LittleBigPlanet 3 announced at Gamescom for PS3.

MAYBE? They announced 5 out of 20 of their first year titles; of course they have more to announce. Relax and enjoy the gaming goodness :)

Dude, I just got burned with Wii U, as much as I enjoy it. I'm not in the mood to be trusting a company's promise that launch window software will be on time, especially when said software hasn't been announced.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Watched the trailer, that looks VERY fun. Great idea on the price.

How did this idea come about outside of the old PS2 project?

Top Bottom