• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shig said:
The trophies were a very comprehensive catalogue of characters from previous Nintendo games... really pretty much any Nintendo character they could possibly use was a trophy in SSBM. It's not like they can retroactively expand their back catalogue.

Ah, good point :)

I think it was just noticing how very similar Wright’s SSBB model seemed to be to his SSBM trophy model – at least, going by memory – that made me wonder if Sakurai’s team were using the SSBM trophy catalogue as source for the assist trophies.

PkunkFury

Cosmonaut X said:
Dunno whether it's been noted earlier in the thread, but of the four assist trophy characters revealed so far, three have appeared as trophies in SSBM. Is it perhaps worth looking to the trophy listing for Melee for a hint as to which other characters might appear as assists?

as I recall, both Nintendog and Hammer Brother were not trophies in SSBM. Still I agree with what you're suggesting, and I think most Melee trophies are likely to become assists. it does look like they used the same Wright model from melee, with just a bit of retexturing. Don't remember the Ghoro trophy, but this could be the case as well. I half expect every trophy in brawl to be playable in some way in the game (wether it's an item, an assist, a stage hazard, or whatnot).

The trophies were a very comprehensive catalogue of characters from previous Nintendo games... really pretty much any Nintendo character they could possibly use was a trophy in SSBM. It's not like they can retroactively expand their back catalogue.

There were pleanty of glaring ommissions from the trophy catalouge, such as Punch-Out characters, Duck Hunt Dog, Gumshoe, etc. They could also mine represented series for enemies and minor characters (Blooper, Dry Bones, Wart for Mario). Then they have a large catalouge of stuff that came out on the cube which they can use. So there's still a number of ideas they could pull that didn't exist as SSBM trophies

I wonder if he'll recognize E3 in his next update. Maybe a new trailer? Or, chances are, they'll play it at the conference and then it'll go up for tomorrow's update.

ant1532

Banned
BrandNew said:
I wonder if he'll recognize E3 in his next update. Maybe a new trailer? Or, chances are, they'll play it at the conference and then it'll go up for tomorrow's update.
He will have a new trailer up on the site this week for E3.

No doubt whatsoever.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Cosmonaut X said:
I don’t think so. It seems that the Assist Trophy is just another item that will appear during a match. When your character picks it up & uses it, a randomly selected Assist Character will appear and dole out whatever special attack they have – Samurai Goro’s multiple slash attack, Hammer Bro.’s hammer toss, Dr Wright’s tower attack etc.

Think of it as a Poke Ball that contains a random character from a previous Nintendo game.
I think it would be bettr if you had to collect trophies like you did in SSBM and any of of them can be randomly selected as an assist trophy in a battle. I'm not too bothered about it though, I just want to see loads of assist trophies. Hopefully every trophy from melee plus some new ones can be used as assist trophies in brawl.

jrricky

Banned
NEWS BREAK: NO SONIC IN SMASH CONFIRMED?

From Sega's E3 released list:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games™ (Wii, DS) - Release: Holiday 2007
Two of the most beloved icons in the world, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed exclusively for the Wii video game system and the Nintendo DS system, this momentous agreement marks the "first" time these two renowned stars will appear together in a game.
Featuring an all-star cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, players will be able to compete as or against a range of familiar characters including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver your favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, leap over the high jump or churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after Olympic gold medal. With up to four players on the Wii and on the DS, the stage is set to catch the fever this holiday with Mario and Sonic.

The highlighted part tells that this is the first game we're going to see with sonic and mario together. The fact that Smash is releasing before this proves it.

Bad news for sonic and smash fans all around. :(

jrricky said:

The highlighted part tells that this is the first game we're going to see with sonic and mario together. The fact that Smash is releasing before this proves it.

That doesn't prove anything, its called an assumption-big difference.

Bernie

jrricky said:

ZOMFG, NEWS BREAK: NO BRAWL IN 2007 CONFIRMED?

ant1532

Banned
jrricky said:

It hasn't been said when Smash is coming out. And yeah, I'll safely bet that it will be AFTERR Mario and Sonic.

And Sega gave the press release, of course they would say that to hype their game. Why would they say different.

I am not dismissive of the idea Sonic will not be in Brawl. After all, it's possible he won't.

But I will go on record as saying that I would be very, very surprised if he wasn't in the game.

jrricky said:

Did this really need it's own thread? I think if anything the fact that Mario and Sonic are actually in a game together to begin with is a sign in the POSITIVE direction that we could see Sonic in SSBB.

radiuhm

ant1532 said:
It hasn't been said when Smash is coming out. And yeah, I'll safely bet that it will be AFTERR Mario and Sonic.

And Sega gave the press release, of course they would say that to hype their game. Why would they say different.

Mario and Sonic before smash, meh iuno about that, either way IGN has it slated for Nov. 20, but once again its IGN =/. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic isn't in smash and honestly I don't care, so far smash has been really promising.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
As I said in the other thread, Im not too fussed about sonic not being in the game. I guess its disappointing if you're a sonic fan, but brawl will still to kick ass without him.

radiuhm

psycho_snake said:
As I said in the other thread, Im not too fussed about sonic not being in the game. I guess its disappointing if you're a sonic fan, but brawl will still to kick ass without him.

Couldn't have said it any better.

ant1532

Banned
radiuhm said:
Mario and Sonic before smash, meh iuno about that, either way IGN has it slated for Nov. 20, but once again its IGN =/. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic isn't in smash and honestly I don't care, so far smash has been really promising.
There has been no date given to Mario and Sonic, you do know when there isn't a date for a game websites and retailers give game dates to games on estimated assumptions. So yeah, Nov 20 isn't real. And Smash after Mario and Sonic makes more sense. Sakurai's team is aiming for 2007. They can probably use time and release it in 08 but they can't at this point, so they are working their asses off. It will come at the end of 07. I'm saying November. They haven't had much time developing the game. They started really in Oct 05 .

jrricky

Banned
ant1532 said:
There has been no date given to Mario and Sonic, you do know when there isn't a date for a game websites and retailers give game dates to games on estimated assumptions. So yeah, Nov 20 isn't real. And Smash after Mario and Sonic makes more sense. Sakurai's team is aiming for 2007. They can probably use time and release it in 08 but they can't at this point, so they are working their asses off. It will come at the end of 07. I'm saying November. They haven't had much time developing the game. They started really in Oct 05 .

Im saying November the latest for Smash. Mario and Sonic is set for "Holiday" which is either late November or sometime December.

And :lol :lol :lol at reactions in the locked thread. I was dying with laughter from the bitter responses which I didnt expect at all. I expected mourning, which I felt after my speculation, but reactions got my spirit up again.:lol

You learn something new about GAF everyday....:lol :lol :lol

ant1532

Banned
jrricky said:
Im saying November the latest for Smash. Mario and Sonic is set for "Holiday" which is either late November or sometime December.

And :lol :lol :lol at reactions in the locked thread. I was dying with laughter from the bitter responses which I didnt expect at all. I expected mourning, which I felt after my speculation, but reactions got my spirit up again.:lol

You made it look like you ahad real news and you had some piece of bullshit. Or your just not too bright. and really believed it yourself.

And yeah, latest November? There is no reason to think that. All evidence points to 08 being the latest possible scenario. November the earliest.

Anyways yeah, you took it out of context and blew it up and expect to be the founder of these awesome news. Nah.

ohamsie

For those of you who are still worried that the assist trophies will replace your character, you might want to take a look at the first trailer again. There were definitely four characters on screen while the Nintendog assist trophy was as well, although you might have missed one of them. ;)

assisttrophy.gif

Haunted

jrricky said:

more like OLDS BREAK, amirite?

But seriously, they already used that exact wording in their announcement PR of Mario & Sonic a few weeks ago.

To be honest.. If Sonic were in Brawl I doubt most of Sega would even know anyways. I mean that Mario and Sonic Olympics dealie isn't even made by SonicTeam. D:

jrricky said:

this post reeks of fail

Well, forgetting this silly Sonic debate (sonic WILL BE IN SMASH BROS HE MUST!), I think the SimCity character is very odd, in the realm of Mr. Game and Watch. I love that building move, I wonder what else he will do, especially for close combat.

Is the concept of segregating "assist trophy" from "playable character" really that difficult to grasp...

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded mean, underfooter. It's just they've gone over this in the thread a million times.

jrricky said:

I think you misunderstood people's backlash at your dumb thread for bitterness.

STFU =/= bitter tears

Alpha_eX

jrricky said:

Actually, this is the first time you saw Sonic and Mario together, today,

5225.jpg

Sonic and Mario together in Smash Bros will hopefully be the second time.

jrricky

Banned
Gekkonidae said:
I think you misunderstood people's backlash at your dumb thread for bitterness.

STFU =/= bitter tears

What? I didnt expect to get a backlash from people, that wasnt my intention. I expected reasonable disagreements or agreements, not flamed...:lol

Tis GAF though....

EDIT:
ant1532 said:
You made it look like you ahad real news and you had some piece of bullshit. Or your just not too bright. and really believed it yourself.

And yeah, latest November? There is no reason to think that. All evidence points to 08 being the latest possible scenario. November the earliest.

Anyways yeah, you took it out of context and blew it up and expect to be the founder of these awesome news. Nah.

Wow, just.....wow.

Oh, and my post went like this "NEW BREAK:NO SONIC IN SMASH CONMFIRMED?"

Yup, there was a question mark there...anyways....man, the responses I got.....:lol

ant1532

Banned
jrricky said:
What? I didnt expect to get a backlash from people, that wasnt my intention. I expected reasonable disagreements or agreements, not flamed...:lol

Tis GAF though....
Do you not get it yet? What you posted was bullshit. Maybe if something actually happened which is relevant to Sonic being in Smash people would take it seriously.

ohamsie said:
For those of you who are still worried that the assist trophies will replace your character, you might want to take a look at the first trailer again. There were definitely four characters on screen while the Nintendog assist trophy was as well, although you might have missed one of them. ;)

assisttrophy.gif

This kinda got lost in all the flaming about Sonic. Just wanted to say good catch.

jrricky

Banned
ant1532 said:
Do you not get it yet? What you posted was bullshit. Maybe if something actually happened which is relevant to Sonic being in Smash people would take it seriously.

So...according to you...all speculation is bullshit. Oh, I get it then....

dk_

Alpha_eX said:
Actually, this is the first time you saw Sonic and Mario together, today,

5225.jpg

Sonic and Mario together in Smash Bros will hopefully be the second time.
Needs more jaggies.

ant1532

Banned
jrricky said:
So...according to you...all speculation is bullshit. Oh, I get it then....
Oh please, people can speculate on anything. That's why Nintendo has their own boards. Even if you wan to use that runaway excuse, the speculation wasn't even good! You posted it here, we told you why you were way wrong. Then you made a thread. And named it
"NEWS BREAK: NO SONIC IN SMASH CONFIRMED?:("

Yeah.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
jrricky said:
I expected reasonable disagreements or agreements, not flamed...:lol
you got reasonable disagreements

"reasonable" given the absurdity of your logic for posting the thread.

you could only call it getting flamed if your thread had any merit, of which it had none.

is anyone else scared that they won't enjoy smash online because there will be too many "pro" players out there? I know the question is kinda stupid, but... I really don't want to have to train myself intensly just to have fun.

jrricky

Banned
ant1532 said:
Oh please, people can speculate on anything. That's why Nintendo has their own boards. Even if you wan to use that runaway excuse, the speculation wasn't even good! You posted it here, we told you why you were way wrong. Then you made a thread. And named it
"NEWS BREAK: NO SONIC IN SMASH CONFIRMED?:("

Yeah.
Again, I put a (?) question mark after it.

I could of sworn speculation was speculation. I gave the reasons why I speculated and I got flamed for it.

Scrow said:
you got reasonable disagreements

"reasonable" given the absurdity of your logic for posting the thread.

you could only call it getting flamed if your thread had any merit, of which it had none.

Sorry, I thought flamed meant calling someone "stupid" or saying "your just not too bright" over the internet. Back to internet lingo 101 for me then.

I apologize for ruining anyones dreams.

:lolI just cant get over being flam...I mean cussed out for that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VultureDude said:
is anyone else scared that they won't enjoy smash online because there will be too many "pro" players out there? I know the question is kinda stupid, but...

Depends on how it's set up. Chances are, "pros" won't be floating around since playing the average smasher is a waste of their time.

I'm more interested to see if there will be a friend system. Playing with your friends is much more fun than playing nameless strangers.

Dude, you don't say say "NEWS BREAK:" then have a comment that ends with a question mark. Not only is it misleading, it makes no goddamn sense.

You deserve all the e-flames you get.

Haunted

jrricky said:
:lolI just cant get over being flam...I mean cussed out for that.
Give it a rest. I told you they used the exact same wording in their initial press release a few weeks ago. It wasn't news at all and has been speculated about before. (I'd show you if EviLore hadn't disabled the search function. :) )

NeonZ

ohamsie said:

:lol I had never noticed he was sitting there through the trailer...

But I don't think that really counts, considering how Snake is behind the battle plane.

RagnarokX

ohamsie said:

assisttrophy.gif
Snake's box is in the background, foreshadowing his reveal at the end of the trailer. He's not actually in battle. Link is missing from the fight.

ant1532

Banned
Sakurai confirmed already that you play while you have an assist character out. Do you guys just make up questions about the game that is already confirmed or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom