• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

PkunkFury

I hope Kyle Hyde is an assist trophy

he could smack the characters around and lecture them about properly raising their children

Danthrax said:
In that quote, he's playing off the fact that someone visiting the Web site's first impression will be, "Why would I want to use that Nintendog? It'll be in my way, too!" Considering Sakurai's sense of humor in these updates, it would be more likely that he was being coy and you wouldn't actually care about the 'dog blocking your view when you play the game -- because your character disappears.

I take the stance that assist trophies can sometimes backfire, like a Goldeen that also screws you over.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SovanJedi said:
The last trailer showed characters able to destroy the three platforms floating above the main area. Perhaps they have all been destroyed to show the effect of Dr. Wright's attack better? Or maybe the skyscrapers themselves can smash stuff. :O

Yeah I think you're right, after looking at some of the other Kid Icarus stage screenshots:

item04_070627b.jpg

item04_070627c.jpg

dfyb

Banned
the dog is also in the first e3 trailer. only 3 other players are shown.

i find it highly unlikely that the 4th player has avoided being shown in all of these examples.

Rezbit

PkunkFury said:
I hope Kyle Hyde is an assist trophy

he could smack the characters around and lecture them about properly raising their children

:lol :lol :lol

I like it! And when he pops up that "urgent" music starts playing. Awesome.

SCReuter

PolyGone said:
considering how niche Dr Wright is, I imagine a SimCitii must be in the works.
Then again, Dr. Wright was a trophy in Melee, and the SNES version of SimCity is now readily availabe on the Virtual Console.

I don't know how some people can complain when we're getting awesome fanservice like this. I hope Sakurai didn't forget to put in Mr. Stevenson as an AT as well.

superfly

The inclusion of Dr Wright is brilliant. I was never a huge fan of the smash bros gameplay, but as a fanboy throwback, this version looks to be the ultimate

Lol, i just thought how this game could start another megaton for Nintendo at E³.
How about Sakurai presenting the game, telling us: "If you choose Samus Aran for the adventure-mode, you´re re-playing the whole game of "Super Metroid" with remaked 2,5D graphics. If you choose Link, you´ll play through "A Link to the past" from a top-down view in improved 2,5D visuals. Every character´s adventure-mode will be one of their most famous games remade!"

:p

SovanJedi said:
The last trailer showed characters able to destroy the three platforms floating above the main area.

IIRC, the Nintendo World trailer showed the platforms in the Angel Land stage crumbling beneath players, not the players actually destroying them (unless you meant that in the sense that the players being on the platforms caused them to crumble?).

psycho_snake said:
How are the assist trophies going to work? Can you use all the colected trophies in a battle?

I don’t think so. It seems that the Assist Trophy is just another item that will appear during a match. When your character picks it up & uses it, a randomly selected Assist Character will appear and dole out whatever special attack they have – Samurai Goro’s multiple slash attack, Hammer Bro.’s hammer toss, Dr Wright’s tower attack etc.

Think of it as a Poke Ball that contains a random character from a previous Nintendo game.

Haunted

Oh hell, assist trophies are going to bring so much fanservice. :lol

MasterMFauli said:
Ok, so far so good.
But the second Nintendo reveals an awsoem character to be only an assist trophy, i´ll get angry >_<
Ridley as assist trophy confirmed. :p

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I know I might begin a geek war here but here is my question : Do you think there will be any MGS assist trophies in the game? I'd love to see some of the bosses from the series!

usea

Mistouze said:
I know I might begin a geek war here but here is my question : Do you think there will be any MGS assist trophies in the game? I'd love to see some of the bosses from the series!
Yes.

Ramenman

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So true. :lol This is really a surprise !!

Seriously, out of ****ing NOWHERE :lol

I was like OMG OMG, not that I even knew the guy before, but just that now it's even more true that every freakin game character ever can be in this game !!

Sakurai said:
Well, I guess Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the kind of game where anyone can show up and anything can happen!

OH YES OH YES.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
All we need now are:

1) Elite Beat Agents / Oen--Oendo---whatever those leaders of cheering are called

2) Pac-Man

3) To a lesser extent, Sonic

MasterMFauli said:
Lol, i just thought how this game could start another megaton for Nintendo at E³.
How about Sakurai presenting the game, telling us: "If you choose Samus Aran for the adventure-mode, you´re re-playing the whole game of "Super Metroid" with remaked 2,5D graphics. If you choose Link, you´ll play through "A Link to the past" from a top-down view in improved 2,5D visuals. Every character´s adventure-mode will be one of their most famous games remade!"

Do you ever stop in the middle of typing a post and wonder if hitting submit is really smart

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Cosmonaut X said:
IIRC, the Nintendo World trailer showed the platforms in the Angel Land stage crumbling beneath players, not the players actually destroying them (unless you meant that in the sense that the players being on the platforms caused them to crumble?).

Nope, I just watched it again and it clearly shows all the characters smashing the platforms with various A-button and B-button attacks.

(And on that note, I still think that Lylat stage looks absolutely ****ing incredible in motion.)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This is an awesome update... Nintendo's really digging into their back library for their fan service and I'm loving it! I'm just hoping that some of my favorites from Melee - Ice Climbers, Marth, G&W, make it in and aren't cut. And then having Doc from Punch Out and Mike Jones as assist characters... would make this game perfect. Can't wait for Nintendo's E3 conference, I hope we get more info on this game (like maybe online info or the reveal of Sonic)

SovanJedi said:
Nope, I just watched it again and it clearly shows all the characters smashing the platforms with various A-button and B-button attacks.

I’ll have to have another look when I get home from work, but I’ll take your word for it – and I must remember to ask ant to change the OP listing for that stage to reflect that. Being able to destroy the platforms would make for an interesting twist, though…

ant1532

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I’ll have to have another look when I get home from work, but I’ll take your word for it – and I must remember to ask ant to change the OP listing for that stage to reflect that. Being able to destroy the platforms would make for an interesting twist, though…
Done :D

Ramenman

MasterMFauli said:

Yeah sure. And Ridley will be a playable character, too.

Dunno whether it's been noted earlier in the thread, but of the four assist trophy characters revealed so far, three have appeared as trophies in SSBM. Is it perhaps worth looking to the trophy listing for Melee for a hint as to which other characters might appear as assists?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Cosmonaut X said:
Dunno whether it's been noted earlier in the thread, but of the four assist trophy characters revealed so far, three have appeared as trophies in SSBM. Is it perhaps worth looking to the trophy listing for Melee for a hint as to which other characters might appear as assists?
The trophies were a very comprehensive catalogue of characters from previous Nintendo games... really pretty much any Nintendo character they could possibly use was a trophy in SSBM. It's not like they can retroactively expand their back catalogue.

NeonZ

"We made this awesome crossover game, but in the 1P mode each character will be confined to their own franchise! Isn't that great, guys?"

Besides the sheer implausibility of remaking Alttp in SSBB, considering the completely different engines, that would just be a waste of resources. Do you want to play through Zebes with Samus? Go play Metroid. This is SSB!

If they expand the single player game, I want to be able to kick space pirates with Captain Falcon, go through the dreamland with Mario and defeat Ganondorf's creatures with Ness. Characters out of their original worlds FTW. Some kind of platformer/action mode, divided in stages spread through different worlds, each world based on different series represented in SSBB, would be the perfect single player mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom