• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohamsie

They probably didn't show the character who summoned him because the person who calls an assist trophy character wouldn't be affected. It would look kind of weird to have, say, Samus just standing next to Dr. Wright while the other three are getting smacked by the skyscrapers.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Prof. Wright?!?!? F**k Yeah!!!!

assist03_070710a.jpg

assist03_070710b-l.jpg

assist03_070710c.jpg

assist03_070710d.jpg

EVERYONE CALM DOWN, HE'S AN ASSIST TROPHY!!!

Changing place with the assist trophy-character at least makes them different from pokeballs, so that´s a good thig. Also, that means you´re invinceble while your trophy dies its work :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
gimz said:
whos this guy?
The assistant to the mayor in Sim City for the SNES. H also appears in Link's Awakening as Mr Write and has an appearance in OoA and the Minish Cap as Dr Left.

According to my manual fro Sim City his stats are:

I.Q: 1000
Height: 3 inches
Education: Mario State University BA, MA, Phd, DDS, NES, Honorary Professorship of Deep Thinking.
Hobbies: F-Zero racing and Yoshi Riding.

Why do I have the manual next to me? Because in the back of my mind he was one of the character I'd like to see as an Assist Trophy and I was playing Sim City the other day.

dfyb

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
I'm still not 100% sure about this, since we didn't even see who summoned him. It may've been one of the three in the shot, in which case, some of the assist trophies will attack indiscriminatley (sp).

assist01_070702e-l.jpg

assist character and 2 players, but the dog is in the way.

assist03_070710d-l.jpg

assist character and 3 players. the screen is very visible and you can see a wide view. if there were 4 players, you would probably see them.

assist01_070702b-l.jpg

assist01_070702c-l.jpg

kirby deploys the trophy and the trophy is now standing where kirby stood, and kirby is not seen in the rest of the screenshots.

Shinobix

ohamsie said:
They probably didn't show the character who summoned him because the person who calls an assist trophy character wouldn't be affected. It would look kind of weird to have, say, Samus just standing next to Dr. Wright while the other three are getting smacked by the skyscrapers.

You know, that's exactly how I thought it would be. After all the summoned character is supposed to assist you while fighting, not replace you.

dfyb said:
well yeah, you use the item, your character is replaced by the trophy, and you twiddle your thumbs while the assist trophy does its work.

i've never seen a screenshot with 4 characters AND an assist trophy and whenever the screenshots show the character with the trohpy and then the deployed trophy, it's in roughly the same spot and the character who used the item is nowhere to be found.
Well, we didn't see anyone summon Samurai Goro, plus there were only two characters in those shots. I still say it's up in the air.

But if what you think is correct, than the Nintendog trophy seems to be a lot better than originally thought. Imagine your enemies fighting blindly behind the puppy while your character hides in safety.

I calmed down after I realized he's an assist trophy. I love obscure references in my items!

The Dojo needs better update headers -- you wouldn't guess it from looking at the page without seeing that small image in the corner.

{Mike}

Banned
lawl...I knew it was an assist trophy the second I saw the pics, but just lawl @ people who taught he was a character...maybe taking the place of another popular character :lol

ohamsie

dfyb said:
assist character and 2 players, but the dog is in the way.

assist character and 3 players. the screen is very visible and you can see a wide view. if there were 4 players, you would probably see them.

kirby deploys the trophy and the trophy is now standing where kirby stood, and kirby is not seen in the rest of the screenshots.

Also, check out the text under the Nintendog:

"You’re probably thinking that a Nintendog is a pretty poor assistant, since it blocks your view, too.

That’s fine. He’ll help calm your mental state."

This leads me to believe that the Nintendog is blocking your character, thus it is not replacing it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RiskyChris said:
I calmed down after I realized he's an assist trophy. I love obscure references in my items!

The Dojo needs better update headers -- you wouldn't guess it from looking at the page without seeing that small image in the corner.

Well Sakurai needed to mention somewhere in his description that Mr. Wright is an Assist Trophy. (I thought he was a character for a second, too.)

Ydahs said:
http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/dol/images/cam/gal/gal_ms-t11.jpg[IMG]

He was a trophy in SSBM. Wonder if we'll see more Assists that were Melee trophies.[/QUOTE]Actually, that's where I bet we'll see a lot of the trophies come from.

dfyb

Banned
in the description of the dog:

"You’re probably thinking that a Nintendog is a pretty poor assistant, since it blocks your view, too.

That’s fine. He’ll help calm your mental state."

it's obviously not stating it in the open, at least yet. but this could definitely be hinting at it. calming your mental state because you're not playing at that moment and have nothing to worry about? why would it calm my mental state if i was still in play? i'd be scared. but i think instead, you're not playing -- you're looking at the cute dog you spawned while the others fight it out without a good view. that's how it calms your mental state.

i didn't really worry about this until i saw the kirby/hammerbro standing in the exact same location. i then looked for screenshots that had an assist trophy and the character who summoned it, but found none. this latest screenshot that shows the entire stage, but no evidence of a 4th player, nearly confirms it for me.

we'll probably find out at e3 though because i'm sure they'll be in a trailer.

Krowley

Danthrax said:
Well Sakurai needed to mention somewhere in his description that Mr. Wright is an Assist Trophy. (I thought he was a character for a second, too.)

I wish he was a character. That would be the most obscure, coolest smash character ever.

SumGamer

Danthrax said:
You might be right. I was wondering why there were only three fighters in this pic:
assist03_070710d.jpg

Also, your idea explains these two sequential pics:
assist01_070702b.jpg

assist01_070702c.jpg

I dont think that's the case.

This is from smashbros site
assist01_070702e.jpg

You’re probably thinking that a Nintendog is a pretty poor assistant, since it blocks your view, too.

.. Why would you care when the pup block your view if you are not playing?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Danthrax said:
Look at the level. Is this still Pit's stage?

assist03_070710d.jpg

It looks like a platform appeared to carry the fighters above the ruins where we normally see them in this level. Unless it's an all new
(boring looking)
stage.

The last trailer showed characters able to destroy the three platforms floating above the main area. Perhaps they have all been destroyed to show the effect of Dr. Wright's attack better? Or maybe the skyscrapers themselves can smash stuff. :O

Also, hell yes Dr. Wright as an assist trophy!! I loved Super Sim City and I love this fellah. I wonder exactly how vague they'll be getting with assist trophy characters?

Jiggy

I like it. I have to say, I like it.

Because it gives me hope that we'll have the Tetris blocks and, more importantly, Marin as assist trophies yet. Especially if most of the SSBM trophies end up being assists.

ohamsie

SovanJedi said:
The last trailer showed characters able to destroy the three platforms floating above the main area. Perhaps they have all been destroyed to show the effect of Dr. Wright's attack better? Or maybe the skyscrapers themselves can smash stuff. :O

Also, hell yes Dr. Wright as an assist trophy!! I loved Super Sim City and I love this fellah. I wonder exactly how vague they'll be getting with assist trophy characters?

Speaking of which, does anyone have a high quality download of this trailer anywhere?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SumGamer said:
I dont think that's the case.

This is from smashbros site
assist01_070702e.jpg

You’re probably thinking that a Nintendog is a pretty poor assistant, since it blocks your view, too.

.. Why would you care when the pup block your view if you are not playing?

In that quote, he's playing off the fact that someone visiting the Web site's first impression will be, "Why would I want to use that Nintendog? It'll be in my way, too!" Considering Sakurai's sense of humor in these updates, it would be more likely that he was being coy and you wouldn't actually care about the 'dog blocking your view when you play the game -- because your character disappears.

ohamsie

dfyb said:
it doesn't actually say it blocks your view. it says "you would think it blocks your view" ;)

then he tells you not to worry about it and that it will "calm your mental state."

He doesn't say you would think it blocks your view, he says you would think it isn't helpful and then because it does block your view. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom