• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Just got back from Target, picked up Zeitgeist for $9.99. Between the Target version of Zeitgeist and the Tarantula single, the only b-side I'm missing at the moment is Stellar. I wonder if it will show up on the next single.

Halfway through the album, it's ok, I'm not wowed yet.

I do like how Billy thanks D'arcy's ex-husband in the liner notes.

Bebpo

Banned
distantmantra said:
Zeitgeist, the song, is Billy and an acoustic guitar. Reminds me more of the Pumpkins than a lot of the album, actually.

Is it on the actual cd? I'm going to go grab it at Target at lunch ^_^

Macam

Banned
So it seems that you got it wrong, Diablos (at least from what I recall from previous posts, which I don't care to suffer through server errors to find): Best Buy has the gold cover that has Death From Above (wedged in at Track 9) and Target has the purple cover that has Zeitgeist at the end (Track 13). The big booklet version is simply red and really wide; it has a pair of bolts on the left end to bind it....but who cares about that.

Also, Zeitgeist is a great, great song (Diablos, wrong again!). Distantmantra's definitely right in that it sounds more like old Pumpkins, akin to an extra B-side off the Thirty-Three single. I haven't had a chance to listen to Death From Above even though I have it on a sealed copy here, but that's a present for a friend.

Bebpo said:
Is it on the actual cd? I'm going to go grab it at Target at lunch ^_^

Yes, it's on the actual disc.

That's the Way is probably my favorite song. After three listens, it's growing on me, but it's pretty boring and uninspired. Before Diablos jumps all over me, let me remind him that I haven't said it's terrible. It's a "safe" album, I really don't see them trying anything new.

Bebpo

Banned
distantmantra said:
Yes, it's on the actual disc.

That's the Way is probably my favorite song. After three listens, it's growing on me, but it's pretty boring and uninspired. Before Diablos jumps all over me, let me remind him that I haven't said it's terrible. It's a "safe" album, I really don't see them trying anything new.

I still think That's the Way is the worst song on the album after a week of listening :\ "boring and uninspired...safe" is exactly how I would describe the song, whereas I think the album is fairly exciting and contains a lot of new sounds for the band like Bring The Light or Pomp & Circumstances. Even 7 Shades sounds like a different type of hard rock than you would associate with the SP name.

Give it some time, the album has grown on me a lot over the last 9 days or so.

Also, Zeitgeist has really grown on me in the last day or two. It's is definitely one of my favorite tracks on the album. Very nice.

So, is it correct to assume that any store other than BB, Target, or iTunes will have the red version?

And for sure the booklet is in the Target purple version?

Alucard

Banned
Alright, so I've listened to this album a couple of times now and, wow, talk about forgettable, bland, samey, and boring. Sounds like Corgan's just going through the motions and I really think he should just quit now before he tarnishes his legacy any further.

Sounds like Corgan's just going through the motions and I really think he should just quit now before he tarnishes his legacy any further.

good thing he didn't read this comment then! i'm sure he is worried about tarnashing his legacy

in other news, whatever happened to the b-side for Signal to Noise? man i want to hear that song when SP do it and not the cover by most dangerous race :( sounds like a song with a lot of potential

AirBrian

distantmantra said:
Zeitgeist, the song, is Billy and an acoustic guitar. Reminds me more of the Pumpkins than a lot of the album, actually.
Zeitgeist is quickly moving up to my favorite track off of the CD. I'm going to go ahead and declare Target version > *.

Macam

Banned
AirBrian said:
Zeitgeist is quickly moving up to my favorite track off of the CD. I'm going to go ahead and declare Target version > *.

Ditto. I meant to address SD's comment about the version variations before this forum got shut down for the shithole that is E3, but in case anyone had any concerns, the purple one is at Target has Zeitgeist (Track 13), the gold one is at Best Buy and has Death from Above (Track 9), and the massive booklet one could be anywhere (check indie stores in particular) and has a red cover and is noticeably larger by a good margin.

Diablos

Alucard said:
Alright, so I've listened to this album a couple of times now and, wow, talk about forgettable, bland, samey, and boring. Sounds like Corgan's just going through the motions and I really think he should just quit now before he tarnishes his legacy any further.
Boo hoo.

If it makes you feel any better, Explosions in the Sky are apparently a supporting act for the fall tour. Although, this probably offends you if anything, lolz.

Macam said:
For the record, Stellar (the iTMS bonus track) is relatively ho-hum. Not really a stand out track, but nothing terrible either. The extra 5 cover tracks by the other bands are all flat out ****ing terrible however. I'll grab the other two versions later; one to just have a physical copy of the album myself and one for a friend, so here's to hoping those tracks are a bit better.
Yeah, the covers are really bad. I can't believe they didn't put Rhinoceros by Gliss on there, it's the only one worth paying for, really (and it is quite good).

Stellar is pretty awesome though, imo.

Manics

Banned
Alucard said:

I'm going to whole heartedly agree with you here. Listening to the CD I was thinking "WTF? This is the Smashing Pumpkins?" It's a totally forgettable album with barely any songs that you actually want to hear again. There was a slight hook on "Bleeding the Orchid" and the single "Tarantula" but the rest of it, blah. Then the "United States" song comes on, clocking in at over 9 minutes and I'm thinking "oh this must be the centerpiece of the album, the one that really brings it all together" It's bad. What's with the interlude of guitar sounds where they're trying to do a "Dazed and Confused" type atmosphere? Other laughable moments include the "Starz" song with the cheesy, "We are starz we are!" I can't believe this is the same guy that wrote Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness CD. I can see now why no one in the mainstream has heard from Billy Corgan since the original Pumpkins lineup was disbanded. If his solo stuff what as "good" as this, it's no surprise you can file him into the 'where are they now?' category.

3/10.

Manics said:
I'm going to whole heartedly agree with you here. Listening to the CD I was thinking "WTF? This is the Smashing Pumpkins?" It's a totally forgettable album with barely any songs that you actually want to hear again. There was a slight hook on "Bleeding the Orchid" and the single "Tarantula" but the rest of it, blah. Then the "United States" song comes on, clocking in at over 9 minutes and I'm thinking "oh this must be the centerpiece of the album, the one that really brings it all together" It's bad. What's with the interlude of guitar sounds where they're trying to do a "Dazed and Confused" type atmosphere? Other laughable moments include the "Starz" song with the cheesy, "We are starz we are!" I can't believe this is the same guy that wrote Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness CD. I can see now why no one in the mainstream has heard from Billy Corgan since the original Pumpkins lineup was disbanded. If his solo stuff what as "good" as this, it's no surprise you can file him into the 'where are they now?' category.

3/10.

:(

It hurts me to say it, but I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote.

Alucard

Banned
Diablos said:
Boo hoo.

If it makes you feel any better, Explosions in the Sky are apparently a supporting act for the fall tour. Although, this probably offends you if anything, lolz.

Nah. It'll just make people wonder why EitS isn't headlining, with yesterday's news opening up for them. :p

Can you honestly tell me this is even a "good" album? That there is any kind of imagination put into it? This is bland, generic alt rock that we've heard a hundred times before. And there's nothing wrong with doing what has been done before, as long as there is SOMETHING about the music that's a little new or exciting, but with this album...there is next to nothing. There are moments of promise, like the wicked start to Tarantula, but there is so much that sounds recycled, with very little thought put into structure. (Doomsday Clock starts out alright but then loses focus, and 7 Shades of Black sounds like an incomplete song that should have had its ideas developed a little more instead of sounding as random as it does) Unless this is a stepping stone to better things in the future, this is equivalent to Metallica's St. Anger; an attempt to regain lost glory, but ultimately falling flat by not realizing that the band and its fanbase have AGED. Although, to their credit, the production of the album is much better than the tin-can drums on St. Anger. :p

Reese-015

Well personally I'm just hooked to the album and the past week I don't feel like playing any other Pumpkins album but this one, so it's definitely a favorite of mine.

Diablos

Well, I just spent the best $70 of my life.

Alucard, I'm too happy right now to respond to yet another "I'm jumping on the bandwagon and hating on Corgan" argument. It's a great album. It's not Siamese Dream, but it's a great album.

Alucard

Banned
Diablos said:

Alucard, I'm too happy right now to respond to yet another "I'm jumping on the bandwagon and hating on Corgan" argument. It's a great album. It's not Siamese Dream, but it's a great album.

Meh, if you enjoy it, then more power to ya. It's not my cup of tea and I'm just saying that this band and its frontman are far past their prime. It's not a horrible record, but it's far too predictable to be anything but "meh" to me.

Enjoy the opposite of the bandwagon; the "would call Corgan's shit gold" section.

Manics

Banned
Diablos said:

:lol

I love you man. No matter how bleak or bad you tow the party line and back your band. That's dedication. Glad to hear you're happy with the new release, at least they've pleased some people.

Diablos

Alucard said:
Meh, if you enjoy it, then more power to ya. It's not my cup of tea and I'm just saying that this band and its frontman are far past their prime. It's not a horrible record, but it's far too predictable to be anything but "meh" to me.
No, they're really not past their prime. And I can't see how it's predictable; I, for one, was worried that they'd crank out another Machina. Even if Zeitgeist is more "safe" than not, it still doesn't sound like any of their previous albums. There are similarities, sure, because it's SP.

And I'm really not towing the party line here, I'm just not being extremely harsh on the album like some other bedroom critics are.

Alucard

Banned
Diablos said:
No, they're really not. Their live show keeps getting better. And I can't see how it's predictable; I, for one, was worried that they'd crank out another Machina. Even if Zeitgeist is more "safe" than not, it still doesn't sound like any of their previous albums. There are similarities, sure, because it's SP.

Like Manics said, it sounds like they've pleased some people, and that's cool. I'm obviously not the target market here, as I was never a huge SP fan in the first place.

Diablos

Can you honestly tell me this is even a "good" album?
Yes.

That there is any kind of imagination put into it?
Yes.

This is bland, generic alt rock that we've heard a hundred times before.
It's definitely not. It's not really experimental or anything, but it's not super generic, either.

And there's nothing wrong with doing what has been done before, as long as there is SOMETHING about the music that's a little new or exciting, but with this album...there is next to nothing. There are moments of promise, like the wicked start to Tarantula, but there is so much that sounds recycled, with very little thought put into structure.
The "wicked start" to Tarantula is a simple harmonics thing. It only gets better from there, with truly wicked soloing laced into the music.

(Doomsday Clock starts out alright but then loses focus, and 7 Shades of Black sounds like an incomplete song that should have had its ideas developed a little more instead of sounding as random as it does)
If anything, DC starts out weak and gets better when the thing before the chorus kicks in.
7 Shades of Black is an awesome song, I love it, and it doesn't sound incomplete at all.

Unless this is a stepping stone to better things in the future, this is equivalent to Metallica's St. Anger;
I stopped reading here.

there is nothing revolutionary about the record. it is a rock record and has been done before. name your favorite band or record from this year and guess what? it has been done before. ive said it before and ill say it now, you can't really argue with personal opinion and win the argument. you think it's bland? then it is.

i do agree that i hate the "we are stars... we are!" part though! ugh, freaking billy

edit -

lol also how does 7 shades of black sound incomplete? it is one of the best songs the pumpkins have ever released in my mind.

I've listened to the album 3 or 4 times now and I really like it except the last two songs. Bring the Light is my favorite song so far.

Diablos

Yeah, Bring the Light is totally out of left field. They've never really done a song like that before. It sounds like Nightwish meets SP or something.

The religious references are pretty lame, but I can't really hold that against an otherwise outstanding track.

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
edit -

lol also how does 7 shades of black sound incomplete? it is one of the best songs the pumpkins have ever released in my mind.
Indeed. The chorus is majestic. The ultra-harmonized guitar solo that Billy never previously put to tape, only performed live during crazy performances of "Quiet" in the early 90's, is just awesome. I've always wanted him to do that. I love how when they stop the song for those little bursts of silence, you hear the intensity of Jimmy's strength put into drumming alongside Billy cutting out the guitar. It just sounds cool.

Macam

Banned
Alucard said:
Unless this is a stepping stone to better things in the future, this is equivalent to Metallica's St. Anger; an attempt to regain lost glory, but ultimately falling flat by not realizing that the band and its fanbase have AGED.

While I'm not even remotely suggesting that you can't dislike the album, I do find it somewhat ironic that you're effectively clamoring for Mellon Collie while suggesting that their fanbase has aged. I'd also take some issue with saying that BC and the band is past their prime, but I don't think you really mean that in a performance sense -- Jimmy is at the top of his game still with is drumming, and BC is every bit as good with his guitars and especially his vocals, at least as far as the live performances would suggest.

The album may not have the broad based appeal that the band's earlier albums did, but the new sound definitely has a bunch more subtle complexity in its layers and production. I think the biggest shortcoming for a lot of people just lies with the song writing itself in particular, as BC didn't quite knock out the instantaneous appeal that past tracks had. That, and I do think that it's a lot harder to really write standout rock songs these days, at least in the same vein that they had before. We've been exposed to 15 years of rock largely feeding off the alternative movement and most of it is still recycling and projecting a twisted version of Kurt Cobain. I see where people are coming from with the distaste for the album (it has a rougher, cleaned up Machina sound quality to it), but I'm pretty excited to see what follows because it's clear to me that SP isn't far from potentially really delivering an album I think more people will be able to get behind.

Alucard

Banned
REEEEEEVOLU-SHAWN, REEEEEEEEEVOLU-SHAWN, REEEEEEEEVOLU-SHAWN BLUES.

Alright, that's my last post in this thread. I'm mostly being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic, 'cause Diablos is such a hardcore defender of the SP faith.

I've never been a real big fan of the Pumpkins, for no particular reason, I just never really listened to them very much, but I picked up Zeitgeist on Tuesday and I'm liking it a lot.

Some of the songs are a little generic or what have you, but overall it's a good album that rocks pretty hard. The drum work is awesome throughout the whole CD (especially on United States, which reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins take on Tool, if that makes sense) and the guitar on Tarantula is badass.

I'm definitely going to catch up on the Pumpkins past music (especially Mellon Collie) just to see what I missed out on, although I've all ready heard and loved their most popular songs like "1979".

Grifter

I don't care for Corgan's voice but enjoy the heavily produced, layered sound. Should I start on Siamese Dreams or Mellon Collie?

Macam

Banned
Grifter said:
I don't care for Corgan's voice but enjoy the heavily produced, layered sound. Should I start on Siamese Dreams or Mellon Collie?

SD is definitely a more consistently sounding heavy record, but if you want something closer to Zeitgeist's sound, I'd recommend Mellon Collie. There's a whole range of styles on there, but there's definitely a more rounded production sound there -- if you like the heaviness, Jellybelly and F*ck You (An Ode to No One) are great places to get that sound in full effect.

So the San Diego show got moved, sucks cuz thats what I was going to use my itunes presale info for. I bought Vegas tix, floor tix...but I think they will have seats set up on the floor. Lame. I may sell these...

I am really impressed by the video for Tarantula. 10/10

The song itself has grown on me enough to make it one of my favorite pumkins tracks.

As for the album, I have not seen many mentions of Neverlost which is a great track that captures that classic pumpkins sound, could fit in with MCIS or Adore.

fistfight

Banned
I'm a mammoth SP obsessive, and I've been listening to the album for the last week or so. Some impressions:

- I love "United States" and "C'mon Let's Go." United states is a long, badass jam that kind of plays out like a tool track. Let's Go is just a fun, poppy song that doesn't go overboard with the lyrics

- Billy Corgan needs to shut up and let his guitars doing the talking. The vocals are mixed way too prominently, they're too clear, too distinct. Multiple vocal tracks is just too much, and it gets irritating. It's unnecessary. His singing has gotten worse, not better, I prefer gutteral screaming to crystal-clear. It sounds almost overproduced, like a pop club-track. I'm sure people will argue about this.

- Billy's lyrics simply do not resonate. They just don't have any impact, they lack any soul whatsoever. It's like they're there just to fill space or something. The album is pretty void of emotion, whereas all previous SP albums were dripping with nuance and artistry.

- That said, the effects applied to the vocals in United States are totally awesome. It's a cool echo-type thing that's... what's the word, phase? reverb? I'm not a producer but I like what I hear. Not too much and not too little, appealing without being cheesy.

- God damn, those guitars are amazing. I'm in paradise. They're hard, driving, and sound like a chainsaw cutting through my ear. The vocals/lyrics took a dive, but man, those guitars sound better than ever.

Does anyone agree with my assessment?

Macam

Banned
fistfight said:
I'm a mammoth SP obsessive, and I've been listening to the album for the last week or so. Some impressions:

- I love "United States" and "C'mon Let's Go." United states is a long, badass jam that kind of plays out like a tool track. Let's Go is just a fun, poppy song that doesn't go overboard with the lyrics

- Billy Corgan needs to shut up and let his guitars doing the talking. The vocals are mixed way too prominently, they're too clear, too distinct. Multiple vocal tracks is just too much, and it gets irritating. It's unnecessary. His singing has gotten worse, not better, I prefer gutteral screaming to crystal-clear. It sounds almost overproduced, like a pop club-track. I'm sure people will argue about this.

- Billy's lyrics simply do not resonate. They just don't have any impact, they lack any soul whatsoever. It's like they're there just to fill space or something. The album is pretty void of emotion, whereas all previous SP albums were dripping with nuance and artistry.

- That said, the effects applied to the vocals in United States are totally awesome. It's a cool echo-type thing that's... what's the word, phase? reverb? I'm not a producer but I like what I hear. Not too much and not too little, appealing without being cheesy.

- God damn, those guitars are amazing. I'm in paradise. They're hard, driving, and sound like a chainsaw cutting through my ear. The vocals/lyrics took a dive, but man, those guitars sound better than ever.

Does anyone agree with my assessment?

Almost entirely, though I think his singing has gotten better, not worse. At least, when performing live.

6c3q0jc.jpg

At DC's 9:30 Club, Smashing Pumpkins Both Overcooked and Underdone
Billy Corgan and His Enormous Ego, er, Smashing Pumpkins, visited the 9:30 club on Tuesday, and well before a single note was played, the evening was already quite the spectacle. Corgan threw himself a party on the release day of the new album, "Zeitgeist," although it really was more of a retro, faux-political campaign. The band rolled up late afternoon in classic cars with a fake Secret Service detail. Nominating convention-style posters and buttons were handed out to fans lined up outside. The interior of the club was festooned with Smashing Pumpkins flags and red, white and blue bunting.

President Corgan? Nah, far too democratic. Dictator Corgan? A little closer. Grand Exalted Leader Corgan? There we go. It was a silly if slightly entertaining commotion, but "Gilligan's Island" would have been a more appropriate theme. The actual show was nothing but a three-hour bore.

Yes, three hours. At one point early in the evening Corgan actually muttered, "I'm having one of those I-don't-wanna-play-music moments." Rest assured, that moment passed. Boy, did it ever. The sold-out crowd got treated to bloated, directionless rockers like "United States" and "Heavy Metal Machine," lackluster versions of '90s hits such as "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and "Zero" and a truly excruciating 20-minute unreleased jam called "Gossamer," which for some reason was saved for the second encore and sent a good third of the audience scurrying for the exits.

It's hard to know how they lasted even that long. There were just a few songs when everything clicked and you were reminded why for a few years back in the '90s the Pumpkins could legitimately be viewed as one of the best and biggest rock bands in the world. "Hummer" found that happy middle ground between the group's early shoegaze tendencies and arena rock ambitions. "Cherub Rock" was a full-on sonic assault, sounding even more vital than it did nearly 15 years ago. "The Aeroplane Flies High" was the one meandering epic that actually felt epic and not totally pointless.

As far as highlights go, that was it.

The very tall, very bald Corgan is an imposing figure on stage and an electric guitar seems like a natural extension of his body. He's a technically proficient player who can make single notes scream and power chords rumble like few others. It was his songwriting ability that was mostly exposed on Tuesday. The best of the new tunes, "Doomsday Clock" and "Tarantula," simply chugged along at a brisk pace. The worst, like "Starz" and "Bleeding the Orchid," would be forgettable if they weren't so annoying. Even when the band broke out mega-hits "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979" it was hard to hear what made them modern-rock radio staples in the first place.

The inclusion of a six-song mini-set of acoustic material was as inevitable as it was intolerable. Corgan's nasal wail is tough enough to take when it's accompanied by massive guitars and thundering drums -- and that's on record, with the assistance of studio trickery. In a live setting, with nothing but an acoustic guitar to accompany his voice and embarrassing lyrics ("This is the song I've been singing my whole life / I've been waiting like a knife / To cut open your heart / And bleed my soul to you" -- there are so, so many more where that came from), it was borderline torturous. Ten more minutes and I would have confessed to war crimes.

After the massive buzzkill of "Gossamer," Corgan and Co. -- that would be original drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, who has been playing with Corgan for the past several years, and, um, some other people on bass, guitar and keyboards -- actually came back for one final song: "[Expletive] You."

Yep, that's pretty much how I felt all night.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...7/11/AR2007071102378.html?hpid=sec-artsliving

As a somewhat new Pumpkins fan I don't really understand the hate the world seems to have for Billy, where does it come from? He does seem to have abit of a ego, yes but from reading his blogs and especially his "confessions" he comes across as a nice guy with his heart in the right place. Was there some sort of incident in the ninties to spark a backlash?

what a ****ing douchebag. whatever though, some people think bright eyes is a good band, can't argue with opinion.

also, death from above IS the best of the 3 b-sides! i love that song

and no one answered my question! where is signal to noise! i want to hear the sp version!

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what a ****ing douchebag. whatever though, some people think bright eyes is a good band, can't argue with opinion.

also, death from above IS the best of the 3 b-sides! i love that song

and no one answered my question! where is signal to noise! i want to hear the sp version!
No wai dude, Stellar is the best.

Gossamer (IT WILL BE RELEASED SOMEDAY!) > Stellar > Zeitgeist > silence > DFA

DFA is the best right now. gossamer will be 2nd best.... with only signal to noise as competition if it exists from SP!

i wish billy saved Identify for an SP song... it would've been better :(

seriously wtf is your problem with DFA? its upbeat and catchy! do you not like it cause of religious references? they arne't THAT bad damn. you of all people i would expect to accept DFA as awesome

Macam

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
As a somewhat new Pumpkins fan I don't really understand the hate the world seems to have for Billy, where does it come from? He does seem to have abit of a ego, yes but from reading his blogs and especially his "confessions" he comes across as a nice guy with his heart in the right place. Was there some sort of incident in the ninties to spark a backlash?

I never understood it myself, but I never really followed the rock star drama or music mags closely -- I just tend to buy music, read up on artists, and leave it at that. I believe a lot of it comes from his controlling nature in the studio in particular (IIRC, BC was reported to have played most of the instruments while recording Siamese Dream and he's both obsessive and a perfectionist to a fault), as that really seems to come up again and again, as if that's inherently bad. I'm sure he probably made some smarmy comments when they got big or something, but I've never really read or heard of anything particularly damning. Regardless, it all seems to have snowballed from some legitimate complaints from people (they don't like his voice at times, if at all, there's unnecessary, excessive production, etc) to the superficial (he has no fashion taste, he's bald, he's slumming it with Courtney Love, he engages in mild theatrics, and, oh yeah, he's *still* bald). But you know, whatever. If that Washington Post editor can't, at the very least, enjoy Jimmy's drumming or Billy's guitar tearing, then I really don't get why he even went to cover the show.

Just got around to Death From Above. I need to give it a few more spins, but it's not at all what I was expecting. The name alone was suggesting something more akin to Doomsday Clock in tone, but it's nothing like that apparently. Gotta chew on it for a bit.

Top Bottom