• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

PkunkFury

seems like a big waste of resources to make a whole new character/moveset into a punishment for using the final smash :(

from what we've seen, ZSS doesn't look gimped in any way, so this seems strange. Do you get the power suit back after you die?

lostzenfound said:
So does being without armor mean that Zero Suit Samus will be more susceptible to damage or have poorer abilities? If that's the case, Samus just got broke, as no other character seems to have a penalty for using a Final Smash.
Assuming the change in movesets and abilities is a penalty.

MaddenNFL64

Oh shit. I'd say Megaton, but an expected one. Awesome!

edit: I'm pretty damn sure ZZSamus is not a penalty. She looks like a kickass fighter.

Acerac said:

Once Samus uses her final smash and she becomes her Zero Suit self, there's no way she can use the final smash again in the match...unless she regains her suit when she respawns as others have questioned.

For the sake of balancing the game, I assume the other characters could also only use their final smashes once as well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
We get a good look at the entire Fire Emblem (?) stage:

samus_070718b-l.jpg

Looks like a pretty sweet level, it's more complicated than any of the levels they've featured yet. I like it.

WastingPenguins said:
Hmmm this opens up a lot of weird new questions.

First of all, once you transform into ZS Samus, what happens when you die? If you come back as Samus, that's shitty, because it might mean you can only play as ZS Samus for half a stock in a match. If you stay ZS Samus, that sucks, because what if you just want to ****ing play as Samus?

Then you have the possibility that there's a shortcut, ala hold-A-before-match for Sheik. If indeed you could do this, what happens when you die? Do you come back as the fully suited Samus? :lol

Ohhh, boy.

I think people are over thinking things

one thing that is pretty much confirmed now is that, the Samus you remember from Melee will be the same if your playing in VS with no items.

im sure there will be a way to play as ZS Samus by holding down a button or something like that before the match, she just might not a final smash is all.

DigDugDirkDiggler said:
Once Samus uses her final smash and she becomes her Zero Suit self, there's no way she can use the final smash again in the match...unless she regains her suit when she respawns as others have questioned.

For the sake of balancing the game, I assume the other characters could also only use their final smashes once as well.

assuming that ZS Samus is actually really fast, I think Samus should only have one Final Smash where others can do it as many times as they want.

not only does Samus's final smash seems much stronger than the others, it also will change up her move set and she will be much faster, it is a good trade off.

ShinNL

I win!

Soneet said:
Maybe you can turn into Zero Suit Samus by overcharging your power beam as regular Samus.

1. To wait for a smash ball to play as Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly.
2. Selecting Zero Suit Samus is kind of silly because that defeats the -zero suit, armor breaking down- effect.
3. I think there's only 1 smash ball per match in regular games. Custom games however...
- My reasoning behind this is ... running through a smash ball seems stupid (only picking up once)
- Taking a smash ball but not using it seems also stupid
- Using it multiple times seems to be impossible.

Secret nr.
4. Maybe it's 1 smash ball per life. If the original user dies, there's a chance for it to drop again. That way you can always get it multiple times.
6. Then again, you don't want the game turn too much into Mario Kart, where items determine everything. Some luck is nice, but not too much.

PS. Where do you guys read Final Smash? I'm seeing it as a normal attack that can only be used once, no Smash Ball required.

I guess it may as well be noted that Zero suit Samus was essentially useless in Metroid: Zero mission. Her only weapon was that gun and all it was capable of doing was stunning enemies temporarily(and the weapon had to be charged up too as a "bonus")

Granted it's doubtful that ZS Samus is completely useless in Brawl but that would make for an interesting dynamic if her and every other character suffered greatly after using their "Final Smash"(Final being that you should finish off your opponents, God help you if you don't)

Then again I'm just a pizza boy from some hick-town and the last person who should be speculating about stuff.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I guess it may as well be noted that Zero suit Samus was essentially useless in Metroid: Zero mission. Her only weapon was that gun and all it was capable of doing was stunning enemies temporarily(and the weapon had to be charged up too as a "bonus")

Granted it's doubtful that ZS Samus is completely useless in Brawl but that would make for an interesting dynamic if her and every other character suffered greatly after using their "Final Smash"(Final being that you should finish off your opponents, God help you if you don't)

Then again I'm just a pizza boy from some hick-town and the last person who should be speculating about stuff.

just watching the 2nd trailer for the game, ZS Samus seems to be much more proficient at melee, not only does she show off her ability to kick the **** out of Link, she also has her energy whip. So going from Samus (Long Range) to ZS Samus (Close Range) doesnt seem like it will be a big handicap for the player, it is just a change up of what they are used to.

Kandinsky said:
Maybe you can gain your suit using down B on ZSS? (as long as the armor pieces are still in sight, like a magnet thing, dunno :/)
that would be cool considering all the other players are tossing suit parts around :lol

maybe she can get them back on

Acerac

Banned
Can anyone explain to me what is everyone's reasoning is for the belief that Final Smash Attacks (should be called Super Smash attacks I think, but that's a whole different subject) are once per match only?

If everyone's reasoning is based around the quote "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball, which is a precious item, indeed." I'd be rather surprised, as all I took this to mean was that getting the smash ball means you can use your final smash attack once, and nothing more. In other words for every Smash Ball you get you can use your attack once, not that it'd appear once per match. Though I can see how some might see that as the meaning, that's definitely not how I'd interpret it.

I've been messing around with Melee the last few weeks and have noticed that some of the best items (starmen, hearts) drop a lot less than most of the other items. Perhaps that is what will happen with smash balls?

Then again, it may have just something else that I didn't notice. ^^;

*Edit*

OK that's what I thought was the popular opinion of the board. Reading recent posts I guess I was totally mistaken. Oops. >_<

Kandinsky said:
Maybe you can gain your suit using down B on ZSS? (as long as the armor pieces are still in sight, like a magnet thing, dunno :/)

in the second trailer, it shows ZS Samus doing a really fast downward kick, most likely her Down+B move. It could be as her taunt or something.

justchris

Hmmm...as long as ZSS is selectable from the menu screen, and there's a way to get back to normal Samus during the fight (even if you have to die) this is fine with me. Samus is one of my favorite fighters, and I'm not sure I like ZSS yet (and if she's like Sheik, then no, I couldn't stand Sheik).

Also, does this mean ZSS will get her own, different Final Smash, or will she just be Final Smashless after she loses her suit?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
:lol :lol :lol

Thanks for the update, Sakurai. Another feature from the trailer confirmed. Why anyone doubted it I don't know. Again, everything from the first trailer can happen in the final game.

I loves me some insane over powered beam action. It looks cool.

samus_070718e-l.jpg

:lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That would really suck if you missed with the Zero Laser attack. Let's hope the charge-up time they showed in the trailer isn't so big that everyone just sneaks behind you to stand there. :lol

Also, I CALLED THIS FROM THE START! Maybe not on this board but definitely everywhere else! So this makes me very happy.

thefro

I highly doubt this is the only way to transform.

A suit item drop could appear, or the suit would be available for you to transform back into it after you threw all the pieces of it.

Lots of jumping to conclusions going on, but this is normal for the thread.

Gee

thefro said:
I highly doubt this is the only way to transform.

A suit item drop could appear, or the suit would be available for you to transform back into it after you threw all the pieces of it.

Lots of jumping to conclusions going on, but this is normal for the thread.

No, I think the suit becomes like wario's motorcycle after you use the final smash. When it's gone, it's gone for the enitre match.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nintaiyo said:
There are a lot of Samus players who won't be too happy about this.
Just don't use the Final Smash item and you'll be fine.

Keru_Shiri said:
I wonder if that means ZSS is seperate? Perhaps all you have to do is perform the final smash once and she will be selectable from then on, but Samus will always lose her suit after a final smash. I'm wondering if there will be other conditions that trigger her suit falling apart, or if there's a way to regain it?
It's possible she will be like the Ice Climbers... SSBM has a precedent for a fighter LOSING abilities within a match, although in that case the abilities are regained after death.

DavidDayton said:
Just don't use the Final Smash item and you'll be fine.

It's possible she will be like the Ice Climbers... SSBM has a precedent for a fighter LOSING abilities within a match, although in that case the abilities are regained after death.
What if she uses a final smash while in ZSS

Teasel

so i was thinking...
assuming a player can execute only a single final smash for the entire match and the only way to access to ZSS is by using samus final smash wouldn't this mean that ZSS doesn't have a final smash?

I get the feeling Hal might be adding too much "super attacks" in this iteration (not just the final smashes either, Wario's charged up fart for example), and hence, reducing the depth of the game. I hope I'm wrong, SSBM had was a very deep fighting game when playing at a high level.

Date of Lies said:
I get the feeling Hal might be adding too much "super attacks" in this iteration (not just the final smashes either, Wario's charged up fart for example), and hence, reducing the depth of the game. I hope I'm wrong, SSBM had was a very deep fighting game when playing at a high level.

This is actually my fear as well. But then again I have faith in the makers - hopefully they create a balanced, fun to play game, which is as much like Melee as possible.

rakka

Smiles and Cries said:
Did you know you could be banned for things like this on GAF?

No, I wasn't aware. Please tell me why :-\

What are you inferring here? Olimario is that you?

So you don't know, but you're saying I deserve a ban.

Who the hell is Olimario?

-----

Today's update was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom