• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow...another big Wii week, and most likely another big hardware week ahead with all the big releases. Increased supply here to stay?

Xavien

So everything went down this week, except DSL which went up...

the DSL is such a monster, was anything released last week to push it up? 'cause I'm not seeing anything to push up sales...

Maybe a restock on the new colours?

schuelma said:
Wow...another big Wii week, and most likely another big hardware week ahead with all the big releases. Increased supply here to stay?
They probably held back a few units just for this week. It's not like those Mario Party games comes out every year

schuelma

PS3 will pass 1 million next week according to MC.

Xeke

Banned
Well thats even more of a slaughter than usual. The DSL isn't stopping anytime soon. And it has yet to see DQIX...

Jammy

Banned
Wow. DS went up and is over 150,000. It just keeps chugging along.

Similarly, so does Wii. The shipments weren't as large as the week before (because of Dragon Quest Swords), but it still did 87,000, which is great and higher than usual. I think Wii hardware should do better next week, on account of it being likely there will be increased shipments for Gundam 0079, Mario Party 8, and other Wii games. It's good to see 8 Wii games in the top 50. RE4: Wii couldn't hang on, but it's sold over 100,000 without a doubt. Next week should be big for Wii both in hardware and software.

PS3 went down actually... and right before Minna no Golf 5. o_O

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
Famitsu, natch. It's the more accurate and reliable of the independent trackers. And I don't put any stock into Nintendo's own biased data or someone purporting to present such.

What makes Famitsu more accurate and reliable than the other trackers?

Also
That pic of the nintendo guys in the car would be so much better without the horrible mouth opened bug eyed picture of miyamoto's face thrown in there. Completely ruins the whole thing.

schuelma

SPM and BBA keep holding strong..decent legs- not DS like, but a lot better than PS3/360 games. Next week should be fun.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Amidst the sweltering heat and festival season, I managed to trek to my cities various game stores.

A note about my report: A lot of people quote my report as evidence of sales trends. I am honored that you think so highly of my data. But as much as I hope this information is helpful (which is why I do it) it cannot fairly be used to represent Japan as a whole.

For example: big cities receive more copies of game per capita and get restocks faster. Also games like Doki Doki Majo Saiban (the witch touching game) completely sold out in Akihabara, but I would be surprised if more than a couple copies have sold in my town since it came out. These are just a few examples.

All my report is, is a 100% accurate account of one smallish city in Japan. I started this report because I would read news posts on the big sites with titles like “Sold out all over Japan!” and then go to my local stores and see several copies. I was as surprised as anyone when my numbers started matching Japan-wide trends, but it will not always be so.

I’ve been amazed by the outpouring of support for “Vinnk’s Village”. I had originally only intended to do it to cover DS lite shortages, but here I am months later still doing it. I hope it is still useful (and perhaps entertaining) for you. Anyway, here’s my report for this week.

This week I was asked to look for: DS, Wii, Mario Party 8, Mina no Golf 5 and Dragon Quest: Swords. I went Thursday July 26th, 2007:

Jusco
Wii: 1
DS lite: 8
Mina no Golf: 5
Mario Party 8: 17
Dragon Quest Swords: 1

Youme Town
Wii: Sold out
DS lite: 13
Mina no Golf: 4 (might be more in the back, the PS3 section is small)
Mario Party 8: 14
Dragon Quest Swords: Sold out

Mr. Max
DS lite: 3
Mina no Golf: Sold out? (I don’t know if they had any)
Mario Party 8: 2

Book-Net
DS lite: 7
Mina no Golf: 6
Mario Party 8: 9
Dragon Quest Swords: 1 (used)

Goody
Wii: sold out
DS lite: 4
Mina no Golf: None
Mario Party 8: None
Dragon Quest Swords: None

Best Denki
Wii: 2
DS lite: 12
Mina no Golf: 8
Mario Party 8: 7 (but the sign said it had more in the back)
Dragon Quest Swords: 1

Wanpaku
DS lite:
Mina no Golf: 15
Mario Party 8: 21
Dragon Quest Swords: 2 (Used)

Famicom Dojo
DS lite: Sold out
Mina no Golf: Didn’t order it
Mario Party 8: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 2
DS lite: 9
Mina no Golf: 6
Mario Party 8: around 20 (it was hard to count since most of them were behind the counter.
Dragon Quest Swords: 7

TOTALS:
Wii: 7
DS lite: 49
Mina no Golf: 44
Mario Party 8: 89
Dragon Quest Swords: 12 (9 new 3 used)

NOTES:

1. There were some Wii systems in my town this week. When I was shopping on Monday I saw a few of them. By the time I did my report almost all of them were sold. Wii is still supply constrained where I live. Any store that does have them doesn’t have them for long. I think I can copy and paste this statement until after Christmas.

2. I stopped counting the new colors of DS lite this week. They are stating to become less hard to find. The DS is no longer supply constrained. Yet it still has a lot of demand. Hiro (at Famicom Dojo) buys them every week and sells them every week. He almost always has a few units on hand, but there is never a need to dust them.

3. As for sales of MNG5 and MP8, my numbers represent the game only having been on shelves for a few hours. It’s summer vacation so the stores were crawling with kids but not a lot of buying was going on. That will happen later in the evening when their parents get off of work and the kids drag them down. Next weeks numbers will be far more useful in regards to these 2 big games.

4. Zelda is still on the shelves. So are used copies. It’s not supply constrained but still seems to be selling well.

5. DQS is almost entirely sold out in my town. A few copies can be found if searched for. An anomaly is that Yamada Denki had more copies of DQ: S this week than last week. I don’t think this is a restock, I think it is a transferring of inventory from another branch (it is a very large chain).

6. Used copies of Dragon Quest Swords have started appearing, which is never a good sign for a traditionally front-loaded series.

7. Still no used Trusty Bell bundles in my town (!) But I’ll keep checking. It’s kinda weird.

8. This is the week of Gion festival in my town and there are parades and activities all over town. It is hard to get through the traffic at times and many kids are busy with the festival rather than playing games. I don’t know if this impacts the numbers in any real way, but it might.

Previous Reports:

July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Frillen

Odysseus said:
media: "what will you do when every man, woman, and child in japan has a ds?"
iwata: "release a new color."

Produce more childs damnit!!

Edit: Thanks Vinnk. Seems like Mario Party 8 will sell HUGE, and quite possible, way more than MnG5.

schuelma

Thanks as always Vinnk. SE needs a new shipment quick for DQS.

Jammy

Banned
Thanks Vinnk!

S-E needs to get more Dragon Quest Swords copies out stat!

EDIT: Vinnk, do you recall if Gundam 0079 for Wii was abundant or more hard to find? Also, how much advertising is there for that game? This will be my request for next week's Village if you cannot recall. Thanks again.

Kaeru

Banned
Thanks Vink, I find more pleasure in reading your reports then anything else in this thread. I demand an offical Vink-thread!!

Gosh, I remember a time when people in the MC-threads actually tried to spin the poor PS3 sales, no more of that I guess.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Xeke said:
Well thats even more of a slaughter than usual. The DSL isn't stopping anytime soon. And it has yet to see DQIX...

Remember back before Pokemon D&P when you'd hear "and they haven't even released pokemon!" Now it's DQIX. I wonder what will be the big thing after DQIX.

Jammy

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Remember back before Pokemon D&P when you'd hear "and they haven't even released pokemon!" Now it's DQIX. I wonder what will be the big thing after DQIX.

FFXIV

Frillen said:
Cheesy should update the title with something like this "Hardware and Vinnk's weekly report up!"

I can't change thread titles as seen from the index. Oh, and I'm sure you guys will all have lots of fun when I go to Japan in Sept. :D

Xeke

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:

Don't forget the likely third Pokemon release to go along with D&P.

felipeko

Xeke said:
So with DQIX and no supply constraint what is a realistic number for the DSL in december?
It will probably get sold out.. So the answer is the same as usual: as many as Nintendo can ship.

sphinx

the piano man
Xeke said:
So with DQIX and no supply constraint what is a realistic number for the DSL in december?

I think market saturatrion could begin to makes things harder.

why would someone wait til DQ9 to buy a DS? I don't know...

I'd love to see a +500k week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I hope ASH doesn't get buried under DQIX and ToI, though being a Nintendo title ToI might be the one getting buried.

Vic said:
When DQIX is coming out anyways?
TBA 2007.

Xeke

Banned
sphinx said:
I think market saturatrion could begin to makes things harder.

why would someone wait til DQ9 to buy a DS? I don't know...

The PS2 sold through 20 million units. The DS has yet to reach that point and it makes much more sense that multiple people in families would own a DS as opposed to one PS2 a household. For that reason I believe that the DS is nowhere near saturation point.

schuelma said:
SPM and BBA keep holding strong..decent legs- not DS like, but a lot better than PS3/360 games. Next week should be fun.
Not DS like probably because of userbase. They are still showing legs, if minimally and could be signs of things to come(SMG, Wii Fit and SSBB).

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I want to see the fabled Million Week.

Wouldn't that many sales at one time in one spot of the world cause a shift in the planet's axis?

I was hoping to see new Wii colors this year, but with the way things are going I guess that won't happen till after March '08 at the earliest.

Edit: Thanks as always Vinnk.

Frillen said:
And there goes RE4. Should be over 100k now though.

only needs 450,000 world wide to hit Capcom's expectations, looks to be on track. I don't know any Europe/PAL numbers, but US+CAN are definately over 160,000 total, and together with 100,000ish in Japan that leaves a likely 100,000 sold everywhere else (based on the few chart european numbers we have), so like 360,000ish total means roughly only 90,000ish more and they've reached their goal before the holiday season...

I think they get the message...

KINGMOKU

Hey vinnk, if it's not to much trouble, I would like some description of the stores, and mood of the owners, and people you see in there. Kind of like a "People seemed really exited about such, and such.."

I love your reports, and you could also include some other things about your trips, to make them seem more personal.

I know that may sound odd, but your report, while fantastic could use a little "personality".

If you can that would be great. Regardless, awesome as always.

KINGMOKU

Frillen said:
New numbers up:

DSL 154,459
Wii 86,786
PSP 32,894
PS2 14,059
PS3 12,187
Xbox360 2,664
GBM 315
GC 131
GBASP 122
DS 45
GBA 24
This is something that I just cannot understand. There is ONE PSP game in the top 50, at #44.

That's a great amount of hardware, but crapola on software. I wonder if Sony execs are as puzzled as I am?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
moku said:
This is something that I just cannot understand. There is ONE PSP game in the top 50, at #44.

That's a great amount of hardware, but crapola on software. I wonder if Sony execs are as puzzled as I am?
162fs259987.jpg

Sharp

Hardware's pretty good. But more importantly, Ocarina of Time--VC or no--does not run at 30 fps. It runs at 20 at best, to which it's locked pretty consistently, on the VC, though on the actual N64 it will sometimes go higher but will also fluctuate lower. It makes playing it on the VC a bit weird, actually, if you're used to playing it on a console. But it is smoother.

Jammy

Banned
Sharp said:
Hardware's pretty good. But more importantly, Ocarina of Time--VC or no--does not run at 30 fps. It runs at 20 at best, to which it's locked pretty consistently, on the VC, though on the actual N64 it will sometimes go higher but will also fluctuate lower. It makes playing it on the VC a bit weird, actually, if you're used to playing it on a console. But it is smoother.

Wrong thread?

Jammy

Banned
moku said:

PSP software sales are just as assy, if not more in the U.S. and Europe.

Wii comparisons: At week 34, Wii is where GCN was at 122.0 weeks (January 10, 2004), where GBA was at 26.7 weeks (September 20, 2001), where DS was at 41.3 weeks (September 13, 2005), where PS2 was at 44.6 weeks (January 4, 2001), and where PSP was at 66.3 weeks (March 14, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 37 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.1 weeks (March 26, 2000), where PSP was at 13.4 weeks (March 8, 2005), where GCN was at 16.4 weeks (January 2, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.4 weeks (January 2, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 82.4 / 17.6, bringing the total shares to 76.3 / 23.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 385.9 weeks (December 14, 2014).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 12.3 / 87.7, bringing the total shares to 23.9 / 76.1. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 177.0 weeks (December 13, 2010).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 47.7 weeks (June 21, 2008).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS and PS2 meet in 15.7 weeks (November 8, 2007) at ~20.84 million apiece.

Oblivion said:
Josh, maybe you'll answer this for me since NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL.

Does OoT run at a higher frame rate, or is it just a consistent 20-25 fps without any additional slowdown?
Sorry. OOT and Paper Mario are the two US VC N64 games I don't yet have. But I see you're naming your firstborn after TIE anyway. :)
schuelma said:
Could be. A few weeks back I was thinking there might not be a DQS hardware bump since the hardware didn't seem to do a preemptive dip. Having seen DQS week and this week, though, perhaps 85K is the new standard? In which case, we could see the two 75K weeks just before DQS as having 10K skimmed off of each?
Xeke said:
Thinking of December as a five week span as it is in NPD... at least 2 million?
sphinx said:
Considering we got that in 2005 and within 15K of it in 2006, that should be expected I think.

Top Bottom