• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sucks at OS design

zeopower6

This is only kind of related, but if anyone has suggestions, I suggest voting them up on the PS Share page.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

This doesn't really guarantee that things will get fixed, but it'll at least let them know what people are interested in seeing changed or altered. The 100 icons limit for Vita is one thing that people have been voting up a lot recently~

Cornbread78

all they really need to do is speed up tje response time and allow more multitasjing and I'd be fine with it, 360 dash isn't much better.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really don't understand how anyone could talk shit about the PS2's OS, unless they're just a very negative person.

Tonguer

I would not be shocked to hear someone say they played Dark Souls for hours, but later did something in the UI and threw their controller and rage-quit the system.

Sony consistently disappoints me with some things, but the positives still far outweigh the negatives. Its been said already, they are a hardware company, and they sure do make some fantastic hardware.

Prine

Banned
PS3 ui is appalling, especially when the system requires you to update and leaves you there to muddle through the masses of meaningless icons... why don't they just say "would you like to update" to execute the download when your promoted to update.

Sparse, bland and uninteresting. PS4 looks much better

Massa

PS3 ui is appalling, especially when the system requires you to update and leaves you there to muddle through the masses of meaningless icons... why don't they just say "would you like to update" to execute the download when your promoted to update.

That's exactly what it does...

It breaks one of the key principles of UI design, which is to use visual size, positioning, and relationships to convey importance. On XMB, everything is presented as being exactly as important as everything else; areas with a lot of content get cluttered (like the PS3's setting menu), and mostly-useless functions (like the twenty-seven random tools you can use on a PS3 to interface with PS1 memory cards, PSPs and Vitas, Sony content services no one cares about, etc.) get elevated to unnecessary prominence.
You're wrong about that. it does use positioning. all of those interface tools are by default hidden above the XMB when you turn it on. When you turn it on it defaults to the disc drive. Or the last game/game folder you used.

zeopower6

Masses of meaningless icons? You pretty much press left maybe 4-5 times and then up once to update. Or in the case of PS Store updates, it automatically updates if you access the store. I get that it's not "one button and you're updated" but you really don't have to go through that many steps to initiate the update.

SpyGuy239

I love the XMB. it was beautiful. They just need to streamline their settings abit that's all.

Although, to be fair, the PS3 had so much more settings to customise than the 360, which isn't a bad thing at all.

OP you just seem to hate it alot and want others to hate it as well?

It's not like we know what the PS4's final OS is gonna be like yet.

XMB is fantastic, it's quick and functional and doesn't look ugly. Hate the 360 UI with how it's laid out with essentially pages and pages of ads to go through. Prefer how XMB is an actual OS with the store aspects kept in their own section, and not all integrated like the 360's. I constantly have to search to find shit on 360 with how it's laid out and all the menu jumping feels slow. XMB I know where to go and scrolls to it fast.

jmdajr

People forget the Xbox UI has tons of short cuts by hitting the guide bottom.

I can get to things pretty quick.

Iorv3th

What would be really nice is if similar to the Vita you had different pages you could scroll through. Like a home page, games page, store page, etc.

But have everything customizable like on android. Imagine if you could set what shows up on your home screen. You want your game and a widget that shows friends recent activity or whats new to the store or even streaming music etc. However you get to choose what is displayed and what isn't. .

Would love to be able to fully customize pages to show what I wanted to see with widgets etc. The only page they would have to make non customizable would be the settings page which would be fine.

Raymo

People forget the Xbox UI has tons of short cuts by hitting the guide bottom.

I can get to things pretty quick.

That's true. I barely go back the main menu now. With that said, I hope the full main menu is quickly accesible in-game on the next consoles as fast as the guide botton ui.

Oppo

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the PS4 interface will be to see how it incorporates the swipe pad. Hopefully you'll still be able to dpad your way through it (can't imagine why not) but the pad should help with scrolling long lists (inertia/flicking) and general navigation quite a bit.

skyfinch

They should let cerny design it. Ps4 is the greatest thing ever and knack is by far the greatest game ever made, and both were touched by cernys god like hands. The man can not do wrong.

GenericUser

I turn on my console to play games and maybe to watch youtube, as long as I can find the "start game" buttons - it's fine for me.

batbeg

XMB is the only UI I've ever liked for any videogame system. I'd like Nintendo's channels interface if they could make one that actually operates quickly, but the 3DS is the fastest one yet and is still too god damn sluggish.

I really don't like the look of the PS4s :(

Airgetlam

I like the simplicity of the XMB but the problem is how slow everything else is. It takes forever to sync trophies if you haven't done so in awhile. The Playstation Store is still ridiculously laggy which makes the entire thing look unpolished and is concerning because you think by now they would have worked out all the kinks.

partime

I love the simplicity of PS3's UI.
The orchestra warming up, as a musician, is magical and get's me immediately in the mood for gaming.

Xbox 360 design is nice, with it's gradients and deep backgrounds, but advertisements absolutely kill the experience for me. Oh, and that I don't have many 360 friends.

rjcc

360 has shit-tons of ads and gross pandering with doritos and fucking mcdonalds

ps3 doesnt

ps3 wins

FACT

I'd rather see ads and have a UI that's usable than the slow jumbled mess the PS3 delivers. Also, the PS3 shoves tons of ads in my face every time I try to download anything.

OPINION

JawzPause

This is only kind of related, but if anyone has suggestions, I suggest voting them up on the PS Share page.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

This doesn't really guarantee that things will get fixed, but it'll at least let them know what people are interested in seeing changed or altered. The 100 icons limit for Vita is one thing that people have been voting up a lot recently~

Wow, I didn't realise how big of a fanbase MAG has
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/09/04/mag-2/

You're wrong about that. it does use positioning. all of those interface tools are by default hidden above the XMB when you turn it on. When you turn it on it defaults to the disc drive. Or the last game/game folder you used.

Okay, sorry, it conveys the importance of literally one thing (the thing that it defaults to when you log in) and just treats every other thing as equivalently important.

LOL at people saying XMB is too "hard" to understand.

It's not hard to understand, it's just not actually very well-designed for scenarios where there's a large volume of relevant options you might need to use. It does look very nice though.

Razgreez

Here as some new PS4 UI screen released.

UI on Tablet

UI on Phone

UI on PS4

I have but one question...

What have you done with the real Sarah Greene, Will Walker and Brian Ramos (from the E3 UI video) and who are these impostors!!!?

Okay, sorry, it conveys the importance of literally one thing (the thing that it defaults to when you log in) and just treats every other thing as equivalently important.

And so what if it does treat everything equally important? What does that mean? Are players so dumb to not know the importance of the settings tab, the music tab or the game tab?

And so what if it does treat everything equally important?

Like I said: it breaks a core UI rule. It makes it harder to find anything but the stuff you memorize the locations of and makes it difficult to add new functions to the UI without clogging everything up. It's not the end of the world, but on the question of "how good is the PS3 UI" it's pretty relevant.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well after seeimg the OP I have to agree, never really saw the PS4 Os interface really close and for longer minutes.

I really dislike it, I also hate the XMB

Like I said: it breaks a core UI rule. It makes it harder to find anything but the stuff you memorize the locations of and makes it difficult to add new functions to the UI without clogging everything up. It's not the end of the world, but on the question of "how good is the PS3 UI" it's pretty relevant.

Many people here seem to like the PS3 UI because it looks good, and happily ignore the usability issues. Wii U UI design seems the be the other way around, maximize the usability (for touch screen, d-pad and Wiimote) even if the grid of icons may look a bit dull. The settings app in Wii U is a bit crap, and there are some load times when launching different OS apps, but from design point of view it's pretty clear which one is better.

Top Bottom