• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? 80 GB PS3 w/ Motorstorm now available in North America

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I saw the new 80 GB PS3 w/ Motorstorm at my local Wal Mart today.

There were no 60 GBs on the shelf and no price tags for them either, the retail monkey thinks they may not get the 60 GBs in anymore.

Oh, and the price of the 80 GB: 660 Canadian, the same as the launch price of the 60 GB and 110 more than the 60 GB was going for since the price drop at E3...so I suppose the 80 GB IS going to retail at 600 usd.

I tried searching but I probably suck at searching so lock if old.

I think it's pretty much fact that the 80GB retails at $599. The question is if it will drop to $499 when the 60GB is phased out. It'd be interesting to see if they'd drop the 60GB to $399 just to completely flush the channel clean of those systems.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I think it's pretty much fact that the 80GB retails at $599. The question is if it will drop to $499 when the 60GB is phased out. It'd be interesting to see if they'd drop the 60GB to $399 just to completely flush the channel clean of those systems.

Sony definitely won't drop it to $400. Instead, it'll be handled the same way the leftover 20gb stock was after the 60gb price drop--on a per-retailer basis. Some dropped it only $20, while others dropped it $50.

So has anyone cracked open one of these new US 80gb to see if they took out the hardware emulation or is it all just assumptions?

Tideas

Banned
Mammothtank said:
So has anyone cracked open one of these new US 80gb to see if they took out the hardware emulation or is it all just assumptions?

Not assumption. They had a press release about it.

CurseoftheGods said:
So would my friend be better off trying to find a 60 gig?

The BC via software isn't bad at all. Sure some games are missing and some games aren't 100% perfect but its still really good. If he wants a 80GB then he should get one, by mid 2008 I'm willing to bet the BC will be 100% or at least in the high 90%

Tideas

Banned
Why would yous ell a $700 console for $400? There's your reason,.

And anyway, if the Europeans aren't complaining about their Software BC, I doubt we will. Get over it, lol.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Tideas said:
Why would yous ell a $700 console for $400? There's your reason,.

And anyway, if the Europeans aren't complaining about their Software BC, I doubt we will. Get over it, lol.

A lot of Europeans have/are complaining about the software BC.

Jim

Today it hits retailers "officially"... hence the press releases as below.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces Availability of New 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3)

Million-Selling Online Racing Game MotorStorm Packed In With New System; Sales of Existing 60GB PS3 Continue to Surge

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Aug. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) today announced the availability of a new 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) at online and brick-and-mortar retailers in the United States and Canada. The system, available immediately for a suggested retailer price of $599US/$659 CND, comes with the hit online-enabled off-road racing game MotorStorm packed in the box.

Featuring an expanded hard disk drive, the new 80GB PS3 is designed to appeal to the online gaming and entertainment enthusiast, providing ample storage space to download more games and other entertainment content from PLAYSTATION Network. There are currently more than 60 playable games and game-related downloads available through PLAYSTATION Store, with expanded entertainment content coming soon. The new model features the million-selling game MotorStorm in the box, allowing up to 12 players to play online at one time, hitting the dirt in this visually-arresting, fast-paced racing title.

"The 80GB PS3 offers expanded options in the PS3 family of products for those who want to enjoy more downloadable content," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. "The new model will provide ample storage space to meet the appetites of those who wish to download content today, and for many more years to come. With the expanded disk capacity and dynamic system upgrades, we have effectively created a system that is 'future-proof', providing consumers an exceptional entertainment value that will stand the test of time."

The 80GB model joins the existing 60GB PS3 that has been available at retail since launch last November. The 60GB PS3 is currently enjoying a surge in sales following a price reduction in the US and Canada on July 9 of $100 to $499/$549 CND. Since that date, unit sales at the company's top five retailers have jumped 113% when compared to the average sales of four weeks prior to the price drop. SCEA will continue to sell the 60GB in the US and Canada at the new, reduced price until current inventory is depleted, which is predicted to be this fall based on current consumer demand.

Throughout the holidays and this fiscal year, more than 120 new first and third-party software titles will be available for North American PS3 users to enjoy, in addition to the more than 40 software titles currently available. Key upcoming first-party titles include Folklore, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, NBA '08, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, SingStar, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, PAIN, and Warhawk.

Both the 80GB and 60GB PS3 models come standard with Cell Broadband Engine (Cell/B.E.), built-in hard disk drive, 1080p high-definition output, Wi-Fi connectivity, SIXAXIS wireless controller and Blu-ray Disc player. According to Nielsen VideoScan, there are currently more than 270 high-definition Blu-ray Disc movies available at retail, including the recently released "300," "Shooter," and "Ghost Rider."

vpance

Jim said:
unit sales at the company's top five retailers have jumped 113% when compared to the average sales of four weeks prior to the price drop

Hmm.. so I guess we can expect about 160-170k for July NPD then.

Tideas

Banned
Fatghost said:
A lot of Europeans have/are complaining about the software BC.

Which game? And where can I find such Europeans? Or is this just something you heard from a friend's best mom husband coworker son's ex-fiance new husband's daughter?

GhaleonEB

vpance said:
Hmm.. so I guess we can expect about 160-170k for July NPD then.
I was about to comment on that same point. Worth noting as well that the figure they cited in their NPD press release was 135% from the top five retailers for the first two weeks. So 135% in the first two weeks, and 113% overall for four weeks works out to a 91% increase for the past two weeks. Understandably trending down, but not too fast.

It will be interesting to see how that 113% figure compares to NPD.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Probably not, but care to give a good reason for that?

1. Not necessary
2. No logical basis for it
3. These multiple price cut theories are stupid, same for 360
4. They don't want people to say "hey why was this same shit $400 and now I can only get it for $500"
5. They lose more money

You might as well have said "It'll be interesting to see if MS adds a hard drive to the Core" or "It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo starts including component cables with Wii."

Link316

Banned
damn, did not expect Sony to exhaust their supply of 60GBs this soon, I don't think it'll be a good idea for them to only have a $600 sku during the holidays

Innotech

Banned
I still see a lot of 60gb skus still sitting here. the two retailers I spoke to basically said people are waiting for the newer SKU or something.

So wait, are you telling me that the price drop wasn't really a price drop at all? Seems like it was more of a clearance price to get the 60gb systems off there hands, at which time you'll only be able to buy the 80gb's at $600. That's so damn illogical that I have to be misunderstanding this, right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ALeperMessiah said:
So wait, are you telling me that the price drop wasn't really a price drop at all? Seems like it was more of a clearance price to get the 60gb systems off there hands, at which time you'll only be able to buy the 80gb's at $600. That's so damn illogical that I have to be misunderstanding this, right?
Yeah there was a big thread about it weeks ago. People freaked (me included)

Pimpbaa

There is simply no logic to this. They should have kept the reduced price considering the cost reductions they have done to the hardware. It was obvious they were selling better with the price drop. It's like they purposely want to fail.

mj1108

ALeperMessiah said:

Basically, yeah. The $499 was basically a "clearance price".

MCD

justjohn said:
there's no way sony's going into the holiday season with a 600 dollar only console right? right?

They could bundle it with 5 free movies again, and it's already bundled with Motorstorm.

justjohn said:
there's no way sony's going into the holiday season with a 600 dollar only console right? right?

Sony has defied many expectations before. I will bet the price drop will come with MGS4 and GTA4 in early 08

Jim

justjohn said:

I think it's more like "hurry up and buy the cheaper one before it's gone" and then during/around the holidays, the limited edition 80GB $599 PS3 packaged with MotorStorm becomes the $499 80GB core PS3.

AdmiralViscen said:
1. Not necessary
2. No logical basis for it

I don't know about that. It'd cause a very short but very noticeable spike in sales, which would facilitate game sales as well as increased public interest in PS3, and give Sony an additional and probably much needed PR opportunity. Now you're probably right in that it won't happen, but I wouldn't say there'd be no logic to it if it happened.

Elios83 said:
I'd say they're lucky that there are people who believe that's their plan :lol :D

that makes no sense whatsoever. Why the hell would they be lucky if people believe they'll only have a 600 dollar option come xmas. That sounds the opposite of lucky.

rs7k

GhaleonEB said:
That's the plan right now. It's...a strange plan.

I really don't believe Sony is stupid enough to let that happen. It would be like killing the PS3, getting all these people to save up $500 or get their mind around it and increase it again. It just makes no damn sense at all, and if I was a betting man, I would conclude the price will stay down after a short period of $600 systems.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Jim said:
I think it's more like "hurry up and buy the cheaper one before it's gone" and then during/around the holidays, the limited edition 80GB $599 PS3 packaged with MotorStorm becomes the $499 80GB core PS3.

Just my opinion.

The new Blu-Ray player spec (Profile 1.1) will be mandatory for Novemer 1st. Sony needs to burn off as much inventory as possible before that date. Then you may see introduction of another SKU to fully comply with Profile 1.1 and with next-gen rumble as standard.

Oni Jazar

The BD1.1 profile is only mandatory for new devices coming to market. The PS3 is not a new device therefore doesn't not need to comply to BD1.1 spec on Oct 30. (though many believe a FW update will enable BD1.1 by then)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Tideas said:
Which game? And where can I find such Europeans? Or is this just something you heard from a friend's best mom husband coworker son's ex-fiance new husband's daughter?

Are all games running perfect on the software models now?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Oni Jazar said:
The BD1.1 profile is only mandatory for new devices coming to market. The PS3 is not a new device therefore doesn't not need to comply to BD1.1 spec on Oct 30. (though many believe a FW update will enable BD1.1 by then)

Since almost the entire Blu-Ray player hardware base consists of PS3 players, it would be a disaster to not make the PS3 comply with the new standard. What would be the point of movie studios taking the time to have Blu-Ray movie releases take advantage of the new spec, when hardly any players even comply with the standard? Sony has to make PS3 players comply otherwise the spec is pretty pointless.

Brimstone said:
Since almost the entire Blu-Ray player hardware base consists of PS3 players, it would be a disaster to not make the PS3 comply with the new standard. What would be the point of movie studios taking the time to have Blu-Ray movie releases take advantage of the new spec, when hardly any players even comply with the standard? Sony has to make PS3 players comply otherwise the spec is pretty pointless.

What exactly makes you think this won't happen via firmware updates?

dyls

GhaleonEB said:
I was about to comment on that same point. Worth noting as well that the figure they cited in their NPD press release was 135% from the top five retailers for the first two weeks. So 135% in the first two weeks, and 113% overall for four weeks works out to a 91% increase for the past two weeks. Understandably trending down, but not too fast.

It will be interesting to see how that 113% figure compares to NPD.

It's going to start trending down much faster I'd bet, now that the 80 GB model is out there messing with the heads of potential buyers. I just can't for the life of me fathom why they wouldn't wait to bring the 80 gig on the market until the 60 gigs were almost totally cleared out.

Lain

Fatghost said:
Are all games running perfect on the software models now?

Nope. Some games work with problems (some minor like deinterlacing problems when playing FMVs as in FFXII, other major like slowdowns during gameplay), some games do not work, some games work perfectly.
It's not too bad, but not as good as hardware emulation yet.

Top Bottom