• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? 80 GB PS3 w/ Motorstorm now available in North America

Maxwell House said:
I believe the only 65nm Cells being manufactured right now are by IBM, and by one fab line. Maybe Sony's line isn't ready yet?

Then they must have had some serious issues with that seeing as how it was initially reported that Sony was investing in said fab 4 years ago.

65nm chips should be more reliable and run cooler. Initially there are sunk costs but over time it helps lower the price of the console.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Then they must have had some serious issues with that seeing as how it was initially reported that Sony was investing in said fab 4 years ago.
Must be, because there isn't a single PS3 out with a 65nm Cell in it (including the the new 80 gig PS3s).

I think if the Sony plant had gone online by now, we would have read a news story about it.

There are plenty of stories on the 65nm Cells being manufatured by IBM and being used in their Blade servers. There has be no mention of 65nm Cells being used in anything else.

Maxwell House said:
Must be, because there isn't a single PS3 out with a 65nm Cell in it (including the the new 80 gig PS3s).

I think if the Sony plant had gone online by now, we would have read a news story about it.

There were several reports some time ago about Sony beginning production of 65nm Cell, one of which is the one I quoted earlier in the thread. That's your news story right there. Whether there is a PS3 out with a 65nm Cell out there or not is irrelevant to the production of said part. Whether IBM facilitates production of said part for the PS3 or currently only for IBM products is also irrelevant, considering that Sony reportedly does have its own 65nm fab.

You will not see the same fanfare and wide publicity regarding this shift as you will with certain other companies, for the simple reason that Sony does not actually have a need to improve the public view of its hardware by announcing a new, cooler system. It'd be important for the company to relay this information to investors, but to the public? Probably not so important.

I am curious to see when we will find 65nm Cells in PS3s. Wouldn't Sony have to redesign the PS3 motherboard to be able to use a 65nm Cell?

Also, once the Cell is at 65nm, Sony will need to work on getting the RSX to 65nm as well.

I believe that with Falcon, 360s will have 65nm XenonPowerPc CPUs, 65nm Xenos GPU, and 65nm Edram.

Sagitario

The PS3 will be officially launched in Mexico on August 11th (it was available before, but not officially by Sony)... the launch unit will be the 80GB version and it will cost ~$900-1000 dlls... right now, the 60GB costs ~800-900...

Meh @ Sony's prices!

On the other side, the Elite will be available soon too and it will cost ~545-600 dlls...

Chittagong said:
anyone busted open the controller yet?

You don't need to do that. Just hold it in direct sunlight. You can clearly see through the Sixaxis. If there's motors, then you know you've got the new one.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Farore said:
The PS3 will be officially launched in Mexico on August 11th (it was available before, but not officially by Sony)... the launch unit will be the 80GB version and it will cost ~$900-1000 dlls... right now, the 60GB costs ~800-900...

Meh @ Sony's prices!

On the other side, the Elite will be available soon too and it will cost ~545-600 dlls...
Don't blame SONY for inflated prices and intead blame Mexico for Tarrifs and cost of distribution in Mexico (less imports = more expensive to ship there). Electronics in Mexico cost 2.5x the price here in the states, by that calculation PS3 comes out pretty cheap actually.

I can't believe they havent check the internals of this thing yet.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You will not see the same fanfare and wide publicity regarding this shift as you will with certain other companies, for the simple reason that Sony does not actually have a need to improve the public view of its hardware by announcing a new, cooler system. It'd be important for the company to relay this information to investors, but to the public? Probably not so important.

Ooh ooh, can I guess which one it is!?!

*wwwwwiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnk!*

Mmmkay

So has anyone checked the box itself in the wild? I noticed that with the 'availability' PR Sony put out some new packshots for the 80GB unit... now sans red light on the controller (Only, uh, it kinda looks a little photoshopped...)

(from press site - resized)
80gbpack.jpg

(cropped from the original)
80gbcontroller.jpg

In fact it very clearly has been photoshopped when you take a look at one of the other images they put out:

(resized - click for larger)

(cropped)
80gboops.jpg

Wollan

I seriously doubt this one has a rumble controller (I think we will see more changes than rumble to be honest). This just further confirms that there's absolutely no reason to pick up this sku over the 499$ one. It's just there for people so anal that they need to have that 20GB extra not caring too much about the value difference.

kay

Wollan said:
I seriously doubt this one has a rumble controller (I think we will see more changes than rumble to be honest). This just further confirms that there's absolutely no reason to pick up this sku over the 499$ one. It's just there for people so anal that they need to have that 20GB extra not caring too much about the value difference.
I think it's there to transition the different versions because you can't just flip a switch and suddenly the old versions are gone. They need stock and a higher price is really the only way they could differentiate the models. They priced it $50 too high though, nobody who has half a brain would get the 80gb over the 60gb.

DrXym

kay said:
I think it's there to transition the different versions because you can't just flip a switch and suddenly the old versions are gone. They need stock and a higher price is really the only way they could differentiate the models. They priced it $50 too high though, nobody who has half a brain would get the 80gb over the 60gb.

It's fairly obvious the price will drop again once the 60gb is a distant memory. Sony were hardly likely to shoot themselves in the foot by promising the 80Gb model would see $100 off its price when they were still getting rid of the older models.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Some notes on the 80GB PS3s:

* The controller is a standard Sixaxis wireless one, so no vibration.

* These 80GB units were manufactured in May 2007 onward, and have firmware 1.70 installed.

* The included Motor Storm game has the firmware 1.80, so right from the start you have to install the update.

Top Bottom