• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

This is pretty cool, I think.

The gameplay aspect is fun, but I'm also excited to see more obscure Nintendo references. Here I thought some of the trophies in SSBM were obscure, but this is cool.

I also like the little bit of trivia about how it was the first game with scrolling, so he tortures you with it.

EktorPR said:
assist05_070814a.jpg

"To the left, to the left..."

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
His NES sprite looks like a slightly modified NES Gannon.

I seem to recall that, in the original Devil World, the game would scroll in the opposite direction ol' Lucifer pointed. Will it work the same way here?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well when Sakurai said the Assist Trophies were going to have varying ranges of obscurity, he weren't kidding.

Also:

jiangjunizzy
Banned
(Today, 09:06 AM)

Yowch. He was asking for it though.

Lobster

Banned
sp0rsk said:
This isn't high school brah.

lol!

Iam Canadian said:
His NES sprite looks like a slightly modified NES Gannon.

I seem to recall that, in the original Devil World, the game would scroll in the opposite direction ol' Lucifer pointed. Will it work the same way here?

If the pics are in order then it looks like it.

assist05_070814d-l.jpg

assist05_070814e-l.jpg

Neo Child said:
So how exactly do you survive?

What if your a character with low jumping skills or one that can't bounce like Jigglypuff?
It does not appear to move the level completely off the stage. There will probably be safe spots.

This should be some epic shit on Rumble Falls.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
In Smash Bros., going off the screen means you’re out of the ring, and breaking that rule is very problematic.

So what happens then? Extreme panic and new strategies.

seems to me like.. it wont last too long, or if it does. wtf. because it seems like you have to move to the left where the nothing is . so fight on the tiny fraction of the level still revealed i guess?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It could be that the "Smash Out" boundaries are still in their same spot relative to where you are on the stage. But don't forget that even going off the screen increases your Damage meter after time, so I guess that's all that will happen.

Plus it makes it harder to spot stray Bob-Ombs and the like.

At first I thought the screen shift meant that we could see new parts of the background, which would be great. But now looking at them again, it seems that the Devil actually shifts the stage around against a static background. Boo-urns.

Cool trophy, I like his ability.

I actually got a chance to play Devil World as a kid (friend had a famicom), it was fun. I wonder if NoA will ever release it on Virtual Console...

Teasel

mmm what happens when the devil get summoned on a scrolling stage? diagonal scrolling if he points left while the stage is scrolling up? double-speed scrolling if he points in the same direction? no scrolling if he points in the opposite direction?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
hirokazu said:
that's pretty much how i'm thinking about it. kinda annoying that everyone is like SONIC! MEGAMAN! and demanding them to be in the game OR ELSE just because Snake is lol.

i'm just looking forward to the game, no matter what other non-Nintendo characters make it in. whatever surprises they have in store are just bonuses.

this update is cool. never expected something like this.
Exactly. I'm looking forward to this game because I enjoyed melee so much and this looks like its going to be even better. Non nintendo characters included in the game is just a nice bonus. I'm happy to see solid snake in the game, but just because he;'s in it wont mean that the game is going to be so much better.

psycho_snake

castle007 said:
If this game doesn't have online then that would be the dumbest move Nintendo has made in the last 5 years.
Agreed, but I highly doubt that Nintendo wont make this game online. If they made mario strikers online, then surely they'll do wit with a game thats a lot more popular. Everyone who wants the game is dying to see this game online and it could even make people were unsure about the game go and buy it. Online play would help make the game even better.

psycho_snake

Lobster said:
This really really confirms that your player doesn't get replaced by an assist trophy.
Thats what I noticed too. I was pretty sure that assist trophies wouldn't replace the character using, but its good to see that its pretty much confirmed.

I really like this update. Assist trophy updates are really good. they've addded a lot of new stuff to brawl and the assist trophies is one of the best additions to SSB. Its like pokemon but with Nintendo characters. I've never heard of devil, but his move in brawl is pretty sweet

psycho_snake said:
Agreed, but I highly doubt that Nintendo wont make this game online. If they made mario strikers online, then surely they'll do wit with a game thats a lot more popular. Everyone who wants the game is dying to see this game online and it could even make people were unsure about the game go and buy it. Online play would help make the game even better.
Well from what we know so far pretty much every multiplayer game starting from Mario Strikers is online. Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Kart Wii will both be online. Not sure what else is coming but if they put online in those games I don't see why SSBB wouldn't be online.

EktorPR

Wow, this "online" thing...it's really scary. I mean, to think what would happen if Nintendo announced that the game wouldn't have online multiplayer. GAF would explode, and then some. Nintendo haters would come out of their tombs to feed on the innocent. The Apocalypse.

AndyMoogle said:
Not sure what else is coming but if they put online in those games I don't see why SSBB wouldn't be online.

Lag. It's a major problem when it comes to getting fighting games online, and if Sakurai & Co. can’t find a way to work around it it’s likely to keep SSBB offline. I suspect they will manage it, but it’s likely to be a cut down version of Smash – perhaps just one-on-one battles, or limited stage/item selection.

Haunted

Awesome update. He looks hilarious. But I want to see his moves in motion! :/

'assist' trophies my ass! I'm loving it. :p

Neo Child said:
So how exactly do you survive?

What if your a character with low jumping skills or one that can't bounce like Jigglypuff?
You're fucked.

Cosmonaut X said:
Lag. It's a major problem when it comes to getting fighting games online, and if Sakurai & Co. can’t find a way to work around it it’s likely to keep SSBB offline. I suspect they will manage it, but it’s likely to be a cut down version of Smash – perhaps just one-on-one battles, or limited stage/item selection.
If it's only one-on-one they shouldn't even bother implementing it. It's just not Smash without 4 players on the screen, imo. Is there a fighter out there that does 4 player online?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
EktorPR said:
Wow, this "online" thing...it's really scary. I mean, to think what would happen if Nintendo announced that the game wouldn't have online multiplayer. GAF would explode, and then some. Nintendo haters would come out of their tombs to feed on the innocent. The Apocalypse.

Fear not. Friend codes will suck forevar and evar.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Christ almighty. I gotta say, Brawl looks to go all out, this time. Melee had a few obscure references in the form of trophies, but christ, Brawl is bringing them into the gameplay!

Devil is an awesome addition. I cannot wait for this! AAAAH!!!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Awesome addition, I love when Nintendo digs up the really oldskool and obscure pre-N64 references. Gives me even more hope for a Mike Jones assist trophy!

tim1138

Haunted One said:
If it's only one-on-one they shouldn't even bother implementing it. It's just not Smash without 4 players on the screen, imo. Is there a fighter out there that does 4 player online?

They could handle it the way the handled 4 player for Mario Strikers--you can only connect to one other Wii over WFC but each system can support 2 players online.

kirbutashi said:
It'll be interesting to see how the Devil works with levels that aren't suspended in mid-air, like the Bridge of Eldin.

I’d imagine he will simply scroll the screen, left or right, up or down as usual. On the Bridge of Eldin stage, having the screen scroll left or right could leave you running blindly about on the wrong end of the bridge, unaware of when King Bulblin has appeared, or being forced to battle in a tiny space right at the other end. Of course, I’d imagine that if the effect he has wouldn’t work on a certain stage, the chance of his appearance from an Assist Trophy can be rigged to 0.

Absinthe said:
That is insane. If he's including a character from a game that was never released in the states then anything is possible.
Well, that was done in Melee too; not only for several trophies, but for Roy and Marth.

psycho_snake

tim1138 said:
They could handle it the way the handled 4 player for Mario Strikers--you can only connect to one other Wii over WFC but each system can support 2 players online.
If thats all they can due to problems with lag, then its ok because its better than having nothing. It works out well for me because I usually play smash bros with my brother or my friends, so there's almost two or more of us playing, unless we're doing adventure mode.

haunted one said:
Well they might as well include the option of one on one. That way atleast they'll have some online mode, but I dont think it will be very popular for the reason you said. What makes SSBM so special is the 4 player fighting. One on one games are ok, but 4 player SSB is so much more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom