• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

Zeed said:
That's a bad analogy - different up+b moves are variety, which has already been demonstrated in Final Smashes. This would be more like removing one character's up+b completely.
Or, picking up the smash ball and throwing it at enemies, if you can do that. It's not removed completely, it's just different. Hell, yoshi has an upb but it doesn't recover. If you don't consider that different from the standard, you're just reaching for straws here.

Do you really think it would be some huge error, oversight or inconsistency if zss is selectable from the start but doesn't have her own final smash? It's a competitive video game, not an engineering schematic. I guess it would be inconsistent with a very narrow-minded definition of the word. As in, different in some ways. But the principle of changing up basic elements of characters and making them very different from eachother goes right along with this. It would be consistent.

NeonZ

A Link to the Snitch said:
Least favorite - Wario's moves. I didn't like how they focused on his personality. I just hope they announce a Wario Land move.

I really disagree. The bike move seems much more original and fun than whatever they can pull from any of the Wario Lands, besides the transformations, which are rather unlikely.

I agree with this but it still creates a conundrum. If ZSS can be played alone, then she will need a Final Smash. But if she does have a Final Smash, what happens when Samus uses her Final Smash to turn into ZSS? Is she allowed to use a second Final Smash?
I don't think there's any problem there. If the correct interpretation is only one Final Smash per match, then a Samus turned into ZSS will have no Final Smash in the second form because she will already have used hers before transforming, but there's nothing stopping Sakurai from including a Final Smash for ZSS, if it's possible to somehow start the match with her(like starting with Sheik in SSBM).

Sheik was just a transformation, but even had her own victory poses, rather than just reusing Zelda's after the match, after all. Considering how ZSamus, just like Sheik in SSBM in spite of her status as a transformation, seems to be treated by the website as an independent character, receiving her own section, I doubt she'll lack any features of a standalone character.

Zeed

Banned
usea said:
Or, picking up the smash ball and throwing it at enemies, if you can do that. It's not removed completely, it's just different.
No, it really is removing it completely. Under the conditions you describe, ZSS does not perform a Final Smash, that's that. I would absolutely consider it an inconsistency, but certainly not an oversight or error. Nothing Sakurai does is without consideration.

Firestorm

A Link to the Snitch said:
Since this update sucks, why don't we say our favorite and least favorite updates?

Favorite - Pokémon Trainer, it was just very very cool.

Least favorite - Wario's moves. I didn't like how they focused on his personality. I just hope they announce a Wario Land move.

I'll just list my favourite and least favourite under each category:

Characters
Favourite: Pokemon Trainer
Least Favourite: Mario

How to Play
Favourite: How to Play
Least Favourite: Smash Attacks

Game Modes
Favourite: Four Kinds of Control
Least Favourite: Stickers

Stages
Favourite: Smashville
Least Favourite: Lylat Cruise

Items
Favourite: What are assist trophies?
Least Favourite: What are poke balls?

Music
Favourite: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Medley
Least Favourite: Kid Icarus: The Underworld (sorry, never played the game)

Notices
Favourite: 15 Second Movie Presentation
Least Favourite: 15 Second Movie Presentation

Top 3
Game Modes: Four Kinds of Controls
Game Modes: What is the Subspace Emissary?
Character: Pokemon Trainer

Dr.Hadji

GamerSoul said:
This update wasn't that bad. Sakurai's writing skills saved it.

"Samus is falling! This looks bad!"
"She uses her up special move! She just manages to latch on!"
"Whew, that was a close one."

Not many people can write like that.

You have to read the original text to understand its splendor.

El Papa

Zeed said:
We still don't know if she's selectable or only available through using Samus' Final Smash. It creates a problem - characters are only allowed one Final Smash each, but if in order to get ZSS you MUST use Samus' Final Smash, that means ZSS won't have one, which won't be fair.
I know, I was just 0Suit splooging.

NeonZ said:
I really disagree. The bike move seems much more original and fun than whatever they can pull from any of the Wario Lands, besides the transformations, which are rather unlikely.

Why in the world would it be unlikely? His most recent game was a platformer.

Zeed

Banned
Characters
Favourite: Ike
Least Favourite: Yoshi

How to Play
Favourite: What is a Final Smash?
Least Favourite: You must recover!

Game Modes
Favourite: What is the Subspace Emissary?
Least Favourite: Stickers

Stages
Favourite: Yoshi's Island
Least Favourite: Rumble Falls

Items
Least Favourite: Smoke Ball

Music
Favourite: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Medley
Least Favourite: Star Fox: Space Armada

Notices
Least Favourite: 15 Second Movie Presentation

EktorPR

Characters
Favourite: Ike
Least Favourite: Donkey Kong

How to Play
Favourite: What is a Final Smash?
Least Favourite: Standard Combos

Game Modes
Favourite: What is the Subspace Emissary?
Least Favourite: Names

Stages
Favourite: Yoshi's Island
Least Favourite: Rumble Falls

Items
Least Favourite: Smoke Ball

Music
Favourite: The Musicians
Least Favourite: Kid Icarus: The Underworld

Notices
Least Favourite: Nothing else has been added

Done.

EDIT:
Top 5 as of today

5- Smashville
4- Pokémon Trainer
3- Yoshi's Island
2- The Subspace Emissary

1- Oh-so-badass Ike :D

Jiggy

Characters
Favorite: Pokemon Trainer
Least favorite: Ike

(Disclaimer: If Lyn, Hector, Sothe, or Mikaya is also in SSBB, Ike moves up to my second favorite character update so far, and my least favorite becomes Donkey Kong. I just fear the thought that more interesting FE movesets could have been passed over for Ike's sake.)

How to Play
Favorite: Footstool Jump
Least favorite: You must recover!

Game Modes
Favorite: What is the Subspace Emissary?
Least favorite: This World...

(Because Subspace Emissary rendered the "This World" update redundant.)

Stages
Favorite: Lylat Cruise
Least favorite: Bridge of Eldin

Items
Favorite: What are Assist Trophies?
Least favorite: Bumper

(Bumper is an old item while everything else is new. I'm still happy to see the Bumper return, but it's still lowest on my list of favorites.)

Music
Favorite: The Musicians
Least favorite: Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)

(Too short compared to the others.)

Notices
Yeah, uh, this one doesn't count. :p

Overall Top 5
5) Pokemon Trainer
4) Four Kinds of Control
3) The Musicians
2) What are Assist Trophies?
1) What is the Subspace Emissary?

Sharp

The only update I've really been super pumped about was the OoT remix. There were a lot of megatonish updates but none that really made me want to play right now.

hiryu2015

I'll have a go with a prediction. Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness, a new challenger.

Then it wouldn't seem so strange that I suddenly felt compelled to start a new game file after 4 years when sorting my game collection last evening.

Zeed

Banned
The power of Smash Bros. over Fire Emblem is still compelling, years after it caused the franchise to be released here in the first place. After finding out that Ike was playable in Brawl I felt compelled to purchase (with great difficulty) a copy of Path of Radiance. It's an awesome game, for the record.

Also music updates are awesome, yes. But I wouldn't expect a megaton, not in the same week as Pokemon Trainer.

Doubt it's music, all the music updates have been done on mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays. Something big to end the week though... new stage or character... probably Meta-Knight or Peach... but then there has already been PKMN trainer this week...

New stage: Pokemon Stadium.

Zeed

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
Doubt it's music, all the music updates have been done on mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays.

Something big to end the week though... new stage or character... probably Meta-Knight or Peach.
Most Friday updates were the best of the week, but he bucked the trend this time by giving us the good stuff on Monday. I'm cautiously pessimistic.

EktorPR

Zeed said:
The power of Smash Bros. over Fire Emblem is still compelling, years after it caused the franchise to be released here in the first place. After finding out that Ike was playable in Brawl I felt compelled to purchase (with great difficulty) a copy of Path of Radiance. It's an awesome game, for the record.

Also music updates are awesome, yes. But I wouldn't expect a megaton, not in the same week as Pokemon Trainer.

Indeed. As soon as I saw Ike being in Brawl, I dusted off my copy of Path of Radiance and began to play it again. It is a great game, filled with memorable characters, kick-ass strat gameplay and beautiful music.

For today, I'm predicting a new stage (lol, I've being doing this for the last three days or so ). Today is on!

Pokémon Stadium

or

Meta Knight's ship/hangar

Don't make me look bad again, Sakurai.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I predict a new Pokemon non-stadium stage, just to be disagreeable.
We have seen Pokemon Stadium in various screensshots for the last month. Pretty sure that will be the first pokemon stage revealed.

Jiggy

ggnoobIGN said:
We have seen Pokemon Stadium in various screensshots for the last month. Pretty sure that will be the first pokemon stage revealed.
I agree. That's why I said I'm just being disagreeable. :D

Edit: It's a possibility, though. We've also known Meta Knight since the beginning, but profiles for Ike and Pokemon Trainer came before his.

SumGamer

I found no ned for Luigi in this game :S
I am not an expert or even regular player back in the series.

I hope they have put Luigi from different games, perhaps the L from Super Paper Mario. That would be cool.

EktorPR

SumGamer said:
I found no ned for Luigi in this game :S
I am not an expert or even regular player back in the series.

I hope they have put Luigi from different games, perhaps the L from Super Paper Mario. That would be cool.

It would seem like the obvious choice, but I doubt they'll do it: Luigi's Mansion er..Luigi! Complete with backpack vaccum, this guy could be brought back to the world of Smash as a relevant character!

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
I predict an update which relates to Super Smash Bros. Brawl (knowing my luck I would probably be wrong or there would be no update...)

I really would like to see Captain Olimar as a playable character. He must be, and it'd be cool if a swarm of small pikmin followed him around and he could throw them.

That or Snake/Megaman/Sonic. Am I too hopeful?

kamikaze

underfooter said:
I really would like to see Captain Olimar as a playable character. He must be, and it'd be cool if a swarm of small pikmin followed him around and he could throw them.

That or Snake/Megaman/Sonic. Am I too hopeful?

way too hopeful. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom