• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
flipping_heck said:
Tomorrow is going to be a crappy update, probably a useless item like the Banana Peel or Smoke bomb
I'm going to predict a stage.

More specifically, I'll say something from Super Mario World, in keeping with the SMW-derived nature of Yoshi's final smash.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Alright so, since my girlfriend replaced my awesome Ratatouille wallpaper with a "Lean Like a Cholo" wallpaper (god I hate that song!) I decided it was time to make a Brawl wallpaper. :lol

Check it!

brawlwallpaper_preview.png

There is a preview! What do you think? It's not perfect (some areas are a little sloppy) and its fairly simple in design but it took a bit of time to delete the background from each character portrait and to resize them all accordingly to eachother.

If anyone wants to use... enjoy!

1024x768 Version
1280x800 Widescreen Version

Edit: 1280x1024 Version

Zeed

Banned
MrCheez said:
Alright so, since my girlfriend replaced my awesome Ratatouille wallpaper with a "Lean Like a Cholo" wallpaper (god I hate that song!) I decided it was time to make a Brawl wallpaper. :lol

Check it!

http://www.chrisgrahamart.com/brawlwallpaper_preview.png[/mg]

There is a preview! What do you think? It's not perfect (some areas are a little sloppy) and its fairly simple in design but it took a bit of time to delete the background from each character portrait and to resize them all accordingly to eachother.

[URL="http://www.chrisgrahamart.com/brawlwallpaper_1024x768.png"]1024x768 Version[/URL]
[URL="http://www.chrisgrahamart.com/brawlwallpaper_1280x800.png"]1280x800 Widescreen Version[/URL][/QUOTE]
Very slick, good job.

Haunted

Shig said:
I'm going to predict a stage.
Zeed said:
It's going to be a stage, no doubt about it.
Linkhero1 said:
Probably will be a stage.
Mario Kart stage, to be exact.

MrCheez said:

Check it!

brawlwallpaper_preview.png

Well done! Can you make a 1280x1024 version?

MrCheez

Haunted One said:
Well done! Can you make a 1280x1024 version?

Sure! 1280x1024 Version

As for Yoshi being too big... he might be. :lol When I was sizing the characters I kinda just went with how big or small I thought they should be off the top of my head, rather than trying for 100% accuracy. I tried to make Yoshi big enough for Mario to ride. :p

Haunted

MrCheez said:
Sure! 1280x1024 Version

As for Yoshi being too big... he might be. :lol When I was sizing the characters I kinda just went with how big or small I thought they should be off the top of my head, rather than accuracy. I tried to make Yoshi big enough for Mario to ride. :p
*new wallpaper get!* Thank you, kind sir.

ah, that's actually not a bad rationale. :) Hope you'll include future characters when they become available - would be cool to have the cast 'growing' as they're announced. :p

MrCheez said:
Sure! 1280x1024 Version

As for Yoshi being too big... he might be. :lol When I was sizing the characters I kinda just went with how big or small I thought they should be off the top of my head, rather than trying for 100% accuracy. I tried to make Yoshi big enough for Mario to ride. :p

I thought Ike looked small at first, then I realized it was the giant Yoshi and Diddy Kong right next to him. lol But the sizes make since the more I look at them. Nice job.

As for my prediction I'll say stage, because I'm pretty sure that it's been the longest since we've had an update for stages.

Zeed

Banned
If Sonic does get in, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sakurai does with his Subspace Emissary adventure. Odds are it'll be the best Sonic game in years.

Zeed

Banned
Hah, I was interested in reading up on Sonic's tragic history and went to Wikipedia where I found that his entry had been vandalized:

Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ, Sonikku za Hejjihoggu?), IS IN BRAWL!1!!11!1!trademarked Sonic The Hedgehog,[3] is a video game character and the hero of a video game series released by Sega, as well as numerous spin-off comics, cartoons and books.

Zynx

DarknessTear said:
Not really liking the quality of the music. I hope all of the music so far is placeholder until they take it to an orchestra of some sort or get way better quality samples. :p
Nintendo's actually rather piss-poor with music quality...sigh.

But Diddy Kong - alright! (Guess I'm a day late on this?)

It seems a lot of the 'clone' characters actually have quite different moves now. Ike's is different from the old Roy/Marth set, which were similar (but felt totally different in high-level play, of course), and I'm assuming one of the old ones (Marth, likely) will be retained, and so far all the old characters have had similar moves than in the past (of course the subtleties like speed, priority will probably be entirely different).

And Diddy Kong's moves seem to be descriptively quite different from DK's moves.

Zeed said:
If Sonic does get in, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sakurai does with his Subspace Emissary adventure. Odds are it'll be the best Sonic game in years.

really dont think there will be different stories/missions for each character

Zeed

Banned
jiangjunizzy said:
really dont think there will be different stories/missions for each character
It would make little sense to create different sets of FMV to account for each different character participating in each different segment of story. At least some of it has to be character-specific. Barring that, if Sonic is in, we'll surely see a Sonic-inspired level.

Zeed

Banned
jiangjunizzy said:
who says there's seperate FMVs for each character?
I don't think that there are, which would mean that the storyline is probably linear like I suggested, and that there will in fact be "different stories/missions" for each character. That was the entire point of my post.

Zeed

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
I'd do the same but list myself as a playable character :lol
Fuck it, you know what? I'm going there to do it right now. Watch me.

EDIT:
Editing of this article by unregistered or newly registered users is currently disabled until September 2, 2007 (UTC).
If you are prevented from editing this article, and you wish to make a change, please discuss changes on the talk page, request unprotection, log in, or create an account
Noooo!

Zeed

Banned
Akai said:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea02.html

"The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens..."

Do you really think we'll be seeing, say, Pit's cutscene with Palutena when we're playing as Mario?
I interpreted his statement to mean "Who says that they'll change the cutscenes for each character?", not "Who says that the cutscenes will be static?". But either way, he's wrong.

GamerSoul, do you have a .gif of Lyn shooting her bow?

Somnid

I'm thinking adventure mode is like a sampler forcing you to play as various characters depending on the part. Or at least your character will assist the main character of the segment to progress the story but the cut-scenes will only focus on that character.

Zeed

Banned
GamerSoul said:
nope, I'm trying to find one,

Edit: I found a way better one.

lynv2.gif
Awesome. I was about to post this sprite sheet that I found, but it seems redundant now.

Hm...upon closer inspection that gif seems to be missing the Sol Katti animations.

GamerSoul

Zeed said:
Awesome. I was about to post this sprite sheet that I found, but it seems redundant now.

Hm...upon closer inspection that gif seems to be missing the Sol Katti animations.

Yeah, I was about to mention that because her Sol Katti gives her a whole different stance and everything. If she gets in Smash, I think she'll probably have her Matti Katti.

Zeed

Banned
GamerSoul said:
Yeah, I was about to mention that because her Sol Katti gives her a whole different stance and everything. If she gets in Smash, I think she'll probably have her Matti Katti.
Sol Katti Final Smash?

MrCheez

Lyn looks pretty rad! *crosses fingers*

Somnid said:
I'm thinking adventure mode is like a sampler forcing you to play as various characters depending on the part. Or at least your character will assist the main character of the segment to progress the story but the cut-scenes will only focus on that character.

I'd be really surprised if thats how it ends up working... I think that would disappoint a lot of people. Not being able to play a mode as the character of your choice in a fighting game? (that might have as many as 40 characters...) Seems like it would be a bad gameplay decision.

As for your second sentence, that sounds more like something that would work... however I still see problems with it. What if the character you pick contradicts what happens to that specific character in the cinema? (For instance, if Peach really does stay kidnapped for part of the adventure mode... what happens when you play Peach?)

Jiggy

Lyn truly should be in Brawl. So many good points:

-Female
-Has a bow
-Would be the only fast sword user
-Great face for Fire Emblem outside of Japan
-Great legs everywhere
-Really cool hair (style and color)
-A recent character
-Awesome, awesome music that begs to be brought up to Wii instrumentation at minimum

Edit: Seriously, out of FE7-9, Lyn's theme (and by extension Eliwood's, Hector's, and other variations of that music) is probably my favorite piece of music. Not for lack of competition, either: Determination, Together We Ride, and the Fire Emblem theme are also awesome. I just think I have to give the slight edge to Lyn's theme. (Though I may be influenced since I've been hearing Together We Ride and the FE theme for so long that maybe I've just grown more tired of them than I would be otherwise.)

MrCheez said:
I'd be really surprised if thats how it ends up working... I think that would disappoint a lot of people. Not being able to play a mode as the character of your choice in a fighting game? (that might have as many as 40 characters...) Seems like it would be a bad gameplay decision.

The way I figured it would work is that The Subspace Emissary would be one big story and you play as each character for their part of the story. Then there would still be Classic Mode and All-Star Mode, maybe even other single player modes, where you can choose who you wanna be.

Saitou

Banned
MrCheez said:

Check it!

You should add Pokemon Trainer's Pokémon with him :mad:
I mean, shit, he ain't even doing the fighting.

Akai

Jiggy37 said:
Lyn truly should be in Brawl. So many good points:

-Female
-Has a bow
-Would be the only fast sword user
-Great face for Fire Emblem outside of Japan
-Great legs everywhere
-Really cool hair (style and color)
-A recent character
-Awesome, awesome music that begs to be brought up to Wii instrumentation at minimum
As much as I want Lyn in the game, I don't think she should have her bow...We already have two bow users, both who use sword/sword-like weapons...

Zeed

Banned
Akai said:
As much as I want Lyn in the game, I don't think she should have her bow...We already have two bow users, both who use sword/sword-like weapons...
The bows could function in different ways - Link's and Pit's are already vastly different. I'm thinking that Lyn's side-B could be her bow critical. It would take a while to actually fire as she spins the arrow (not chargeable) but the shot would fly straight and hit harder than Link's.

Somnid

MrCheez said:

As for your second sentence, that sounds more like something that would work... however I still see problems with it. What the character you pick contradicts what happens to that specific character in the cinema? (For instance, if Peach really does stay kidnapped for part of the adventure mode... what happens when you play Peach?)

I don't see anything wrong, I mean it's stupid to not play as every character at least once and it makes the most sense. Obviously, you couldn't play as everyone because like you said, if Peach is locked up then it makes no sense story-wise to see her rescueing herself. My idea was that you build up a party, so say you start as Mario and then after helping out Kirby he joins and now you have a pool of 2 chars to pick from. I'm leaning more towards a combination of the two, like for specific story events like franchise bosses you'd play as the appropriate character but for levels in a non-specific Smash themed stuff you'd play as whoever you choose.

I definately do not see you being able to play any character on any stage.

Jiggy

Link's bow can only fire straight and often gets overshadowed by his boomerang and bombs because of it, so I kind of consider Pit the only true Smash archer right now--he can aim his shots, and so on, and doesn't have other projectiles competing with his arrows. I'd like another dedicated archer.

yea.. but imagine the amount of effort theyd have to put into 40 different little stories, id imagine characters from the same series would share the same 'story'. ie: mario & luigi

Akai

Zeed said:
The bows could function in different ways - Link's and Pit's are already vastly different. I'm thinking that Lyn's side-B could be her bow critical. It would take a while to actually fire as she spins the arrow (not chargeable) but the shot would fly straight and hit harder than Link's.
That actually sounds quite good...Just as long as her move-set is varied enough that she doesn't feel like a clone I'll be happy... =D

GamerSoul: You get kudo points too, don't worry... :lol

GamerSoul

Akai said:

Edit: damn, I thought I was the only one who thought of that. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom