• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beezy said:
Eh, I'm not gonna make a list, but from your list I would get rid of:

Ness (just to push Earthbound fans over the edge)
Mewtwo (shitty)
King Dedede (crappy character)
Ridley (too big)
Dark Samus (another clone)

1. Removing EB for the sake of it? *thwak*

2. Criticizing someone for including a character already in the series? *thwak*

3. Calling Dedede crappy when he's a great boss and has a varied moveset? *thwak*

4. Calling a character "too big" in a game which tells scale to go fuck itself? *thwak*

5. Calling a character which has a similarity in appearance and nothing else a clone? *thwak*

Firestorm said:
Today's flaming will concern: Yoshi - Dinosaur or Dragon?
Estimated End Time of "Debate": 15 hours and 8 minutes from now.

His Final Smash is "Super Dragon" (or something of those sorts).

End debate.

Haunted

A Link to the Snitch said:
1. Removing EB for the sake of it? *thwak*

2. Criticizing someone for including a character already in the series? *thwak*

3. Calling Dedede crappy when he's a great boss and has a varied moveset? *thwak*

4. Calling a character "too big" in a game which tells scale to go fuck itself? *thwak*

5. Calling a character which has a similarity in appearance and nothing else a clone? *thwak*

His Final Smash is "Super Dragon" (or something of those sorts).

End debate.
Now that's a paddlin'.

Scribble

Shig said:
Well they can go to hell, then.

My prognostication is that Marth will be in if there are 3 FE spots in the game. If not, he won't. The second spot will go to someone more far-removed from Ike stylistically (ie not a blue-haired swordsman).

a. Marth's fanbase/importance goes beyond his blue hair. It isn't as if this is an original fighting game.
b. Mostly everyone uses fists
c. Ike's already in since he's popular in the East and West, so the Japanese will have priority over the other FE character.

It's easy to say "dump Marth" since we've only received the most recent FE games.

Jiggy

I think I've now officially listened to this K.K. Rider song more than I listened to the others (and I listened to the others a lot, huge video game soundtrack fan). It's awesome, and I really can't wait to hear the full version in-game.

Edit: You know, for some reason it kind of reminds me of Zed from Wild ARMs 1. Or just WA in general, even though that composer worked on the Ocarina medley.

Haunted

Ravidrath said:
Watch them add Tails and Shadow, just to piss everyone off.
:eek:

I'd have to vandalise Sakurai's wiki entry in retaliation.

ShockingAlberto said:
Next you'll be telling me they'll have more than one variation of Pikachu in one of the games. NEVER. GOING. TO HAPPEN.
You better get used to Marth being out.

jman2050

haha, I saw Yoshi's final smash and for about 10 seconds was bewildered at what Sakurai could possibly be thinking. Then I suddenly remembered SMW and everything made sense. It's the perfect final smash for him. :D

Zeed

Banned
Haunted One said:
It makes a lot of sense to replace a unique character that is essentially the icon of the series with a completely different character with a unique moveset and different weight class.

If Marth is replaced, it won't be by Ike, and there's no reason to believe he's not in.

Scribble

Zeed said:
It makes a lot of sense to replace a unique character that is essentially the icon of the series with a completely different character with a unique moveset and different weight class.

If Marth is replaced, it won't be by Ike, and there's no reason to believe he's not in.

Yeah.

If Marth is replaced, chances are it'll be another blue haired male FE lord. So...

And Ike looks like he'll be a slower character than Marth (two handed sword vs one handed). Just because the whole series didn't come to the West, doesn't mean you can ignore it.

AniHawk said:
If you swallowed a red shell in SMW, Yoshi got wings and could spit fire.

That's only if you had a Blue Yoshi. The only way a regular Green Yoshi could get that is if they swallowed a multicoloured shell: the Yoshi'd also get the Sand Stomp ability too...

Zeed

Banned
Scribble said:
Yeah.

If Marth is replaced, chances are it'll be another blue haired male FE lord. So...

And Ike looks like he'll be a slower character than Marth (two handed sword vs one handed). Just because the whole series didn't come to the West, doesn't mean you can ignore it.
I reiterate my prediction - Marth remains, Roy is out, Lyn is in, and Ike makes three.

EktorPR

Firestorm said:
But adding Tails (especially as Tails + Sonic combo character) would make me cream my pants and make a new topic.

Well, here I go again...

I don't want Sonic in Smash Bros. I dislike his character design, his "attitude". Add Tails to the mix and it'd be...well, too much to bear. :lol

Haunted

Scribble said:
Yeah.

Agreed. moveset, shmoveset - I think Marth is out.

Dunno if Roy is still in.. maybe Eliwood or Lyn will replace him?

Dragona Akehi said:
That's only if you had a Blue Yoshi. The only way a regular Green Yoshi could get that is if they swallowed a multicoloured shell: the Yoshi'd also get the Sand Stomp ability too...
Which FE character would you like to see in Brawl, Dragona?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Zeed said:
I reiterate my prediction - Marth remains, Roy is out, Lyn is in, and Ike makes three.
Yeah, like I said, if FE gets 3 spots, Marth will still be in. And I think it's very likely it has 3 spots.

I dunno about Lyn, though. I want her there just as much as you, of course, but I have a foreboding sense they'll dash our hopes and put in someone else.

Zeed

Banned
Shig said:
I dunno about Lyn, though. I want her there just as much as you, of course, but I have a foreboding sense they'll dash our hopes and put in someone else.
If they put in someone else from FE9/10, I will explode with rage.

Phatcorns

Scribble said:
Yeah.

Well, Eliwood would be cool in the fact that it's not another damn sword user. I'd be interesting to see the spearfighting

JohnTinker said:
I really want to read some impressions of this game after seeing all of these teases each day. This wait is absolutely agonizing

Were getting spoiled by these daily updates. I think this might be the best Nintendo's ever done hyping me on a game. They keep on revealing cool little things every day just to keep you interested, and alert about the game.

KK Slider fucking rocks. I used to set my clock on my Gamecube for Saturday nights every day just to listen to his songs. Most of them just reek of awesomeness. Yoshi has a cool final smash too, nice ode to Super Mario World, which was one of my first and favorite games of all-time.

Zeed

Banned
Phatcorns said:
Er yeah, whatever his name is
Ephraim
ephraim.png

Eliwood
Eliwood.gif

EktorPR

Zeed said:
If they put in someone else from FE9/10, I will explode with rage.

Why? I think it'd be different...and awesome.

I'm sorry, but I didn't grew up with Fire Emblem as you seem to have. My first exposure to the franchise was Smash Bros. Melee, and while I loved Marth and Roy, when I sinked my teeth into Path of Radiance (my first *real* FE game), I inmediately fell in love with a lot of the characters, including Ike, Titania, Nephenee, and Oscar. I would like to see them give some exposure to other characters of the franchise, and they've begun to do that adding Ike. In any case, Lyn would be a welcome addition...but its as if you hated the recent console efforts, which were masterful, in my opinion.

Haunted

EktorPR said:
Why? I think it'd be different...and awesome.

I'm sorry, but I didn't grew up with Fire Emblem as you seem to have. My first exposure to the franchise was Smash Bros. Melee, and while I loved Marth and Roy, when I sinked my teeth into Path of Radiance (my first *real* FE game), I inmediately fell in love with a lot of the characters, including Ike, Titania, Nephenee, and Oscar. I would like to see them give some exposure to other characters of the franchise, and they've begun to do that adding Ike. In any case, Lyn would be a welcome addition...but its as if you hated the recent console efforts, which were masterful, in my opinion.
I didn't play any FE's before 7 (the first officially translated one), but since Nephenee is my favourite character out of the three of them (haven't played FE10)... I'd take her in Brawl, no questions asked. :D

With 10 games to choose from, though... I think it would be unfair to get more than one character from one game only.

EktorPR

Haunted One said:
I didn't play any FE's before 7 (the first officially translated one), but since Nephenee is my favourite character out of the three of them (haven't played FE10)... I'd take her in Brawl, no questions asked. :D

With 10 games to choose from, though... I think it would be unfair to get more than one character from one game only.

Didn't think of it that way. Agreed. :)

ant1532

Banned
I just realized that everyone here expects them to be upping the amount of characters... You know what, I think that is way off and there will just be around the same as Melee. I'm expecting it to go no higher then 30 characters. (4 more than Melee)

Haunted

ant1532 said:
I just realized that everyone here expects them to be upping the amount of characters... You know what, I think that is way off and there will just be around the same as Melee. I'm expecting it to go no higher then 30 characters. (4 more than Melee)
Don't be so negative. I think Sakurai and team will want to go all out by really upping the character count. I'm expecting about 35 characters.

ant1532

Banned
Haunted One said:
Don't be so negative. I think Sakurai and team will want to go all out by really upping the character count. I'm expecting about 35 characters.
Not being negative, I mean those new characters are going to be fucking awesome and add a lot of new stuff to the game. I'm just really really think there won't be a high as character count as a lot of you think. I thought about it a while and read things he said(him cutting Melee characters, ect) and I would rather not get my hopes up when I'm over satisfied with what I already expect. If there turns out to be hella characters.

tim1138

Haunted One said:

I fully agree, but then I also fully expect this to be the last Smash and that they're gonna stuff with it as much stuff as will fit onto a DVD9 or whatever it is the Wii uses.

AntMurda

I fully agree, but then I also fully expect this to be the last Smash and that they're gonna stuff with it as much stuff as will fit onto a DVD9 or whatever it is the Wii uses.

LOL. NO. Smash popularity is going to rise even more with this effort. Nintendo will need one on every system.

Jiggy

ant1532 said:
There are already 21 known, arguably 22.

Originals: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach
Newcomers: Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Snake
Other: Captain Falcon (F-Zero symbol), Mother character (Mother symbol), Sheik (Aonuma)

Here are the SSBM characters who haven't been officially or semi-officially confirmed: Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Falco, [Sheik if not counting in the above category], Young Link, Mewtwo, Marth, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Ness

That's 13-14 more possible returning characters. Assuming even half of them make it in (and I'd say most people feel safe predicting that around half or more of them will return, even if they disagree which characters are included in that half), that gets us to a total of 27-29 characters.
Note that there are only eight revealed newcomers, but SSBM had eleven. If the same number of newcomers are added, then we can add three, and we're looking at a total of 30-32 characters. But that's assuming that two of those three are the other third-party characters. If assuming there are eleven new first-party characters as there were in SSBM, then we can add in two more third-party, for a roster of 32-34.

I think 35 or so is the bare minimum we're looking at.

tim1138

AntMurda said:
LOL. NO. Smash popularity is going to rise even more with this effort. Nintendo will need one on every system.

If Nintendo continues with the series after Brawl then my guess would be this is the last one Sakurai helms.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ant1532 said:
You're gravely mistaken, then.

There's already 7 known new characters (counting Meta Knight), and given the pace they're revealing them at, there will probably be at least 5 more for a total of 12, at the most conservative estimate. Note that those are all just starters, as Sakurai said he's not even revealing unlockables beforehand. We already know there will be a couple of those, as we outright know one (Snake) and Sakurai has hinted at there being at least one other 3rd party character. That brings the additions to 14 minimum.

Basically, for your prediction to be true, they'd have to be cutting/replacing 10 characters that appeared in Melee, and only have those 2 unlockable characters. That is a patently ridiculous assumption.

I'm gonna predict 28 of the original - 6 cuts/replacements + 12 new starters + 10 new secret characters for a total roster of 44.

Keep in mind that Melee was somewhat limited by the GC disc size, they have a notable amount of extra space to work with this time around and I'm sure Sakurai is going to make the most of it.

Akai

Shig said:
Keep in mind that Melee was somewhat limited by the GC disc size, they have a notable amount of extra space to work with this time around and I'm sure Sakurai is going to make the most of it.
I think Melee was more limited by time than disc space, and with the amount of detail going into things like a full-scale Adventure mode, I believe two years has been enough time to put in all the characters they want... =D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Akai said:
I think Melee was more limited by time than disc space, and with the amount of detail going into things like a full-scale Adventure mode, I believe two years has been enough time to put in all the characters they want... =D

They need to delay it another year, imo.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I thought of something today...

Do you think that Sakurai giving us 1 character per week means that the entire starting roster will be revealed within the next 2-4 weeks or so? I have a feeling that he plans to finish it up soon (rather than spreading those updates out) because the game is probably going to start being shown playable around that time, and people are going to see the final starting roster anyway.

Either that or there are still 14 starter characters to be revealed, one for each of the 14 weeks left. :lol Really he COULD just start spacing the updates out, but I think the consistency is a hint that we are going to known the full starting roster soon. Maybe even see the character select screen in a month or so?

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
I wonder why he gave us two updates in one. He could have easily gotten away with Animal Crossing music today and Yoshi final smash tomorrow. We've seen far worse before.

Haunted

WildArms said:
I wonder why he gave us two updates in one. He could have easily gotten away with Animal Crossing music today and Yoshi final smash tomorrow. We've seen far worse before.
Clearly, it's because Sakurai loves the GAF.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
WildArms said:

Making up for being late yesterday?

I really hope for a Metal Gear update tomorrow, anything will be ok for me : character profile, stage, music, assist trophy... ANYTHING!!!! Please!!!

WildArms said:

Tomorrow is going to be a crappy update, probably a useless item like the Banana Peel or Smoke bomb

Zeed

Banned
EktorPR said:
Why? I think it'd be different...
Having two characters from the same game/storyline isn't different, it's redundant. It'd be mind boggling if a star like Lyn gets passed over for some supporting character from a game that is already represented. For the record, I have nothing against FE9 - I am extremely pleased by Ike's addition. That said, now that Ike is out of the way, they should make room for another Lord.

Haunted One said:
Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom