• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michan

PkunkFury said:
I bet there'll be an item that gives other chaarcters this ability, like a cape or a wing cap or something

Yes, the cape from Super Mario World..

Or better yet, the Tanuki ears and tail - turning you to stone when pressing B!

Neat update – can anyone ID the stage, though? From the little glimpse of platform and background it seems like the Lylat Cruise stage in the upper atmosphere.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Michan said:

I doubt it'll be Mario World's cape, since Mario himself has that as a B move. It'd be cool if it was the rabbit ears from Mario Land 2, or such.

A bit off topic. But in the past few weeks, every time they've updated I find that I can add twice the fun by running the update page through the "Gizoogle" translator:

glidingwk2.png

Just thought I'd share that.

Neomoto

SuperAngelo64 said:
A bit off topic. But in the past few weeks, every time they've updated I find that I can add twice the fun by running the update page through the "Gizoogle" translator:

glidingwk2.png

Just thought I'd share that.
Om my god, that's fucking hilarious :lol I seriously 'laughed out loud'

Furret

Banned
Has anyone considered the idea that the Animal Crossing character might be your actual avatar from the DS game (with a generic one if you don't have it)?

If the DS and Wii are both wireless surely it'd be easy as pie to squirt the necessary information into Brawl?

Haunted

gliding.

ok, I guess. So we have three kinds of aerial fighters: floaty, multi-jumping ones like Kirby and Jigglypuff; gliders like the ones in the updates; regular double jumpers (everyone else).

Firestorm

Hell yeah, gliding! Eat that Samus.

(I found WiFi at a greyhound stop in Regina during a 40 min break)

I told my friend to text me the update, and he texted me the Pokemon moves update instead.

Jme

I can't wait to play some douchebag who uses gliding as a way to avoid the fight the whole time so that I can wait for them to near the edge and smack the shit out of them with a projectile.

This is assuming of course that there will be online play - because none of my friends are 12 year olds who would stoop to such measures.

Michan said:

SovanJedi said:
I doubt it'll be Mario World's cape, since Mario himself has that as a B move. It'd be cool if it was the rabbit ears from Mario Land 2, or such.
Neither SMB3's flying suits or ML2's rabbit ears performed anything like SMW's cape or SSBB's gliding seems to work, though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Neither SMB3's flying suits or ML2's rabbit ears performed anything like SMW's cape or SSBB's gliding seems to work, though.

Yeah if they turned this into an item it would have to be Mario's cape. It's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this.

Also, not being able to change direction is interesting.

Haunted

Kjellson said:
Tomorrow's update = Meta Knight. Mark my words!
We haven't had a new character this week, and a stage since about three weeks.

I'm pretty sure it'll be one of those two. Captain Falcon or Mario Kart stage.

Zeed

Banned
Kjellson said:
My theory is that he's an unlockable character and therefore won't see an official unveiling on the site until after release.

NeonZ

Kjellson said:

Meta Knight won't be officially revealed anytime soon... The "how to play" update completely focused on him should have made that obvious...

ex0du5

Banned
Any predictions as to when Nintendo confirms my perma-ban? :D

Since I got a Wii last night...I kind of want online for this. I still think Nintendo is retarded when it comes to online play though, so I'm still betting it's not coming.

Haunted

ex0du5 said:
Any predictions as to when Nintendo confirms my perma-ban? :D

Since I got a Wii last night...I kind of want online for this. I still think Nintendo is retarded when it comes to online play though, so I'm still betting it's not coming.
I guess you'll have confirmation either way at TGS.

Haunted

Zeed said:
Nintendo doesn't attend TGS, etc. etc.
first time in years, baby.

The Lamonster said:
and how is online not yet confirmed? N am dummiez :lol
You can't confirm what's not in the game. :p

seriously, though, I really don't know if there will be online play.

ex0du5

Banned
The Lamonster said:
wha?

and how is online not yet confirmed? N am dummiez :lol

This is why I took the not-online side of the bet. If Nintendo has online play for SSBB, they're complete wiitards for not confirming it yet. They haven't talked about online play for SSBB since what, 2005?

It is possible they're struggling to get it working, and don't want to confirm until it's truly done.

The last word on online play is that Sakurai really wants it in and is trying hard to make it work.

I think that the lack of updates and extensive single player adventure kind of points towards them being unsuccessful and realocating their resources.

Haunted

Zeed said:
Wait, are they really going this year? Seriously?
I thought so for the longest time, but actually going through the list of attendees on the official site after you doubted me... I don't see Nintendo anywhere. I guess they'll abstain again? :(

PkunkFury

civilstrife said:
The last word on online play is that Sakurai really wants it in and is trying hard to make it work.

I think that the lack of updates and extensive single player adventure kind of points towards them being unsuccessful and realocating their resources.

Single player was a priority from the beginning. I don't have the exact quotes but i remember him saying from the start that he wanted to beef it up. If there's no online, I doubt it had much to do with the inclusion of the adventure mode

Zeed

Banned
Haunted One said:
I thought so for the longest time, but actually going through the list of attendees on the official site after you doubted me... I don't see Nintendo anywhere. I guess they'll abstain again? :(
Hell will freeze over well before Nintendo attends TGS, at least that's how I see it.

I would love for Hell to freeze over though.

Haunted

Zeed said:
Hell will freeze over well before Nintendo attends TGS, at least that's how I see it.

We know how much you want to see Marth in Brawl, so that's understandable.

Zeed said:
That would be one way to balance it, because if there's not it seems potentially overpowered. Charizard is definitely not a light character, and with a large horizontal gliding distance, plus whatever his Up+B is...we're talking some serious recovery potential. And we already know that Meta Knight's Up+B covers a decent vertical distance (also I believe that in the original trailer he demonstrated multiple jumps a-la-Kirby). But on the other hand losing control of your character during the glide seems harsh.

I'm sure Sakurai will find a way to make it work.

Hmm, but the big question about Pokemon Trainer is when can he switch? I know they said there's kinda of a stamina type attribute that prevents rapid successive switching but can he switch in any conditions? In mid air, while stuck in a combo, while flying off stage? This stuff is important

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
JoshuaJSlone said:

Yeah yeah, I know. But what else could it be? A hanglider from Sonic 2?

the bloke above me said:
Hmm, but the big question about Pokemon Trainer is when can he switch? I know they said there's kinda of a stamina type attribute that prevents rapid successive switching but can he switch in any conditions? In mid air, while stuck in a combo, while flying off stage? This stuff is important

I had an idea about this this morning; how about if you leave them out for too long, they start losing the ability to do their moves (i.e. the equivalent of using up all their PP for a particular move)? And if you carry on like so, all your moves will eventually be replaced with Struggle, which does some damage to yourself and the opponent.

Then again that'd be pretty vicious. Imagine your Up+B recovery move suddenly conking out during mid-flight...

Zeed

Banned
Haunted One said:
We know how much you want to see Marth in Brawl, so that's understandable.
I don't want to see Marth in Brawl, I just know that he will be. Fact.

Lyn, Lyn is the one I want to see in Brawl.

Haunted

Zoramon089 said:
True. They also said that you can't play with one Pokemon for too long - I wonder what happens when you don't switch one out for a longer period of time.

zeed said:
I don't want to see Marth in Brawl, I just know that he will be. Fact.

Lyn, Lyn is the one I want to see in Brawl.
fair enough. I hope it's resolved soon so we can stop squabbling over it. :lol

Nintendo isn't going to TGS, instead they are holding a press conference right before. Is there some sort of fee they don't wanna pay? :lol
Come on new trailer.

ant1532

Banned
Zeed said:

Nintendo has a conference about games coming out this holiday Sept 5 which might be the same week of TGS i think.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Peach can change directions while using her umbrella, while gliding however, you cant ... so yeah, not AS effective, really which is good considering its an extra ability.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the game had no online, not that it matters since ill always have 3 people to play with irl.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
ant1532 said:
Nintendo has a conference about games coming out this holiday Sept 5 which might be the same week of TGS i think.

Smash Bros Megatonz next week?!!1

Sharp

This update seemed pretty awesome to me, but I'm not crazy skilled like you all are so probably I'm wrong. In other news, my brother actually got Melee about a week ago, so I've been playing some of it. Definitely better than the N64 Smash, but I knew that already. Good stuff.

Zeed

Banned
archangel565 said:
Nintendo isn't going to TGS, instead they are holding a press conference right before. Is there some sort of fee they don't wanna pay? :lol
Sony literally owns TGS. Or if they don't anymore, then they definitely used to, and Nintendo won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

ant1532 said:
Just a conference? A new trailer is the best we can hope for then.

ant1532

Banned
Zeed said:
Sony literally owns TGS. Or if they don't anymore, then they definitely used to, and Nintendo won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Just a conference? A new trailer is the best we can hope for then.
I'm thinking they are going to announce the online portion for Smash there. That's just me. Still disappointed unless it supports voice(imo) and comes with a headset. Which it won't.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
ant1532 said:
Still disappointed unless it supports voice(imo) and comes with a headset. Which it won't.

Man, honestly thats looking for stuff to be disappointed about. I mean whoa, thats a lot to ask.

GamerSoul

Seeing the new characters in action in a trailer would be cool, but i'm not getting my hopes up. But it would be a perfect time to show another 3rd party character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom