• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Lo

Rejuvenating this thread:

me_1_2_by_gifsandmore-d6hfyt9.gif

Look at previous page.

I've been playing through the entire mass effect series (yes, even the crappy iphone game) and I'm kinda made peace with Mass Effect 3. The game should not be played without all the dlc. They change the story arc for the better quite a bit. Even then, it still fails to deliver on the promises of the first game so in my mind I'm comparing it to how Marvel Comics were written in the 80s. There was no overall planned arc, writers come and go, and resolutions were never satisfying, but I still enjoyed reading about my favorite heroes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This guy ---> twitter.com/tibermoon is the lead designer on ME4, apparently.

Ian S. Frazier
Lead Designer: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lead Designer: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm
Designer: Titan Quest
Designer: Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I want some news or even a short teaser this fall like that Star Wars Battlefront game at E3 2013 dammit. :( I don't wanna wait until E3 2014 to get something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I want some news or even a short teaser this fall like that Star Wars Battlefront game at E3 2013 dammit. :( I don't wanna wait until E3 2014 to get something.

I'll keep pushing my belief that a Spike VGA CG teaser wouldn't be totally out of the question. A lot hinges on just how hard Montreal went into development, but all the twitter teasers and gossip from the company seem to indicate they weren't exactly sitting on their hands. Also depends on how much of Montreal has been thrown on Inquisition, and what EA/BioWare's release schedule looks like.

I mean, I get that a new team building a new story in the franchise on a new generation of hardware using a new engine is going to drag development time, but by March next year Mass Effect 3 will have been on the market for two years, and it's obviously not releasing then. So when does EA want a new entry in one of their most popular franchises out the gate? How long are they happy to let the franchise linger in limbo after Mass Effect 3?

Dragon Age: Inquisition is Q3 2014. Nobody expect Mass Effect 4 before then, so when? By the end of 2014 it will have been the longest time between any two Mass Effect projects. Early 2015? If not, late 2015? Would EA be happy throwing the Mass Effect series to a new studio with the intention of getting it done, and them taking three years to get an established formula out the gate?

Bisnic

I'll keep pushing my belief that a Spike VGA CG teaser wouldn't be totally out of the question.

I'd love to see this. Sure, many people here seems to hate CG trailers, but considering how early in development ME4 is, a short CG teaser during the Spike VGA wouldn't be so bad.

Just show the Citadel or a Mass Relay, a Krogan or an Asari while playing the Galaxy map music and the hype machine will start.

Bisnic

Probably means nothing. The Bioware guys will probably just nod or say "I can't comment on that" or "Good idea, we'll think about that." everytime a fan will talk.

New news would be shocking.

Hah, but seriously, what do you guys think of those tweets.
They'll announce the Mass Effect Equivalent of Star Trek: The Search for Spock. You play as your love interest(if they survived, otherwise Garrus if he survived, or new character otherwise) as they search for Shepard.

Joking, obviously...

EatChildren

Gamble did the same thing at Comic-Con, held some Mass Effect meeting with some fans. Whatever they discussed couldn't be talked about.

Dany

Banned
This seems cool, getting impressions from a bunch of fans in a private venue. Even if its just a convo. Maybe they'll show concept art!

Got dat email, but I can't go. Fuuuuuuck uuuuuu

We would like to invite you to talk to a few of the Mass Effect leaders about the games and the future of the franchise. Your session time is Friday, August 30th @ 6:00pm during PAX Prime, and will be located in the BioWare Base (Room 2AB).

You don’t need to bring anything with you except your enthusiasm for the games, a valid photo ID (to verify who you are!) and a readiness to provide constructive feedback. In agreeing to take part in this, you will need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement and confirm that you are not a member of the press/media and do not currently work for a video game developer.

Plenty of flaws to go around in the series, but I swear the music and the fiction they've created come together to make the best universe in gaming.

Fem Shep is where it's at. And Thane's voice!

Next gen ME will be stunning.

EatChildren

@CaseyDHudson: In a milestone review for next Mass Effect game. Team is doing outstanding work. Looks beautiful, fun, ambitious, and Mass Effect-y!

EatChildren

He also posted a couple of days ago:

Casey Hudson ‏@CaseyDHudson 9 Sep
What’s even more fun than working on the design of a new fictional world? Taking our first steps into it and looking around.

So the new IP must be coming along swimmingly.

EatChildren

Mass Effect on Frostbite 3.

In time, my pretty. In time.

Hoodbury

I'm a new fan, been playing through 3 on the Wii-U and am loving it. I know I'm missing out on a lot of things not playing the other 2 but I am trying to take in as much info they give me and I am fully immersed.

I think I'm at the end of the game, on my way back to Earth. But ya, this game has really blown me away and to think of what a next gen version could be has gotten me pretty excited. Multiplayer has been a blast as well so can't wait to see what they do to expand that in the next game.

I don't have a PS3 or 360 but will be getting a PS4 so I'll be ready for the new one.

Good to see this thread Bump.

On my third replay of Mass Effect 2, I discovered that you can missions hidden inside the planets and they are a couple of them. It felt almost like playing DLC LOL.

Also any tips for an Sentinel doing an Insanity run? The Collectors are breaking my ass, so I'm actually afraid of doing that last mission. (Both the first Collector Base and Reaper IFF mission where so hair pulling hard).

Loxley

I'm thinking of playing through this series for the first time pretty soon, since it's one of the few franchises from this gen that I haven't really touched at all (just not the biggest sci-fi fan). How does the first game play on the PC, specifically with regards to the controls? I know it doesn't have controller support - similar to ME2 on the PC.

Bisnic

I'm a new fan, been playing through 3 on the Wii-U and am loving it. I know I'm missing out on a lot of things not playing the other 2 but I am trying to take in as much info they give me and I am fully immersed.

I think I'm at the end of the game, on my way back to Earth. But ya, this game has really blown me away and to think of what a next gen version could be has gotten me pretty excited. Multiplayer has been a blast as well so can't wait to see what they do to expand that in the next game.

I don't have a PS3 or 360 but will be getting a PS4 so I'll be ready for the new one.

Wait, you played ME3 without playing the other 2 games? Man, you missed a lot of good stuff. At least buy them on PC if you don't have a PS3 or 360, the games aren't very demanding.

I'm thinking of playing through this series for the first time pretty soon, since it's one of the few franchises from this gen that I haven't really touched at all (just not the biggest sci-fi fan). How does the first game play on the PC, specifically with regards to the controls? I know it doesn't have controller support - similar to ME2 on the PC.

Like you said, no controller support for any of the games on PC. But i have no problem playing with keyboard and mouse ; easier to aim, more keybinds for powers and moving Shepard around is alright.

Vico

I finally started playing Citadel (still have to end the game for the first time), and this is really what I want the next game to be. Some sort of open-world thriller set on the Citadel.

Infiltration is broken, though... Or am i missing something?

EatChildren

Digital Extremes' job with the Mass Effect port was better than BioWare's own internal work with Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect's UI was completely redesigned for mouse and keyboard, and it works like a charm. Plays very, very well with a better sense of control over your squadmates.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 play well enough, like any third person shooter.

Bisnic

Digital Extremes' job with the Mass Effect port was better than BioWare's own internal work with Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect's UI was completely redesigned for mouse and keyboard, and it works like a charm. Plays very, very well with a better sense of control over your squadmates.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 play well enough, like any third person shooter.

And the mousewheel doesn't work in ME2 for some weird reason(unless its to change weapons). It's a little annoying having to click to scrolldown text.

No keyboard shortcuts for the different submenus in ME2 and ME3 sucks too. Have to go through the main menu everytime to read the Journal, Codex, Squad, etc.

BWJinxing

IF they can revive the feeling of ME1, ill be interested. If the next feels like 2 or 3, I will pass. I'm not getting sucked in for a twist of the "RGB" ending for a "CMYK" ending.

ME1 imo, has really great depth, immersion, and substance as well as story. ME2 feels just like story and ME3 has some depth, some immersion, and story but little substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom