• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Scribble said:
Oh, and Action Replay won't give you a playable Lyn if she only has one or two animations XD

It's quite possible to take the 3D model mesh for Lyn and just apply it to a character who wields a sword (or even not). Of course then you don't have any trademark moves for her but I don't think he was originally worried about that when suggesting it.

You can find people have done the same thing in Melee with other characters using other models, and videos of it on Youtube (one of the most bizarre is Mewtwo using Peach's animations - posing with its hips swaying in a genteel manner NO THANK YOU AGAIN)

Teasel

Kawaii said:
So my guess for today (assist trophie) was right.

For tomorrow, I call, item update.
yeah we hadn't an item update for quite a while still i would like a new character page or a decent adventure mode (SHOW ANOTHER BOSS!) update

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Halycon said:
I was hoping that Lyn was in development, then later scrapped for Ike. She might even have a basic moveset that they never bothered taking out!

And for the record, the Nile is a river in Egypt.

They most likely decided on all the characters before actually creating any of the movesets

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
PkunkFury said:
if you're referring to me, I only bring it up because it's clear Sakurai/Nintendo wanted more playable females.

one of his quotes:

and I recall other quotes around the time of Melee when Zelda/Peach/Popo were added.

I could care less if more female characters are added, but I do think it's sad that an actual character like Lyn was left out while Samus received another semi-accessible form to fill that spot. I was using the impression that nintendo would continue to try to add females as a basis for logical character predictions, hence the reason I thought Lyn or Dixie (alongside Diddy) would get a spot, but I see I was wrong. However, I still beleive Krystal will be playable for the same reason, but I'm no longer so certain

as for other folks in this thread, it's understandable they'd be upset if they actually wanted Lyn playable. I think every AT update that isn't as bizarre as Dr. Wright/Andross will have a similar fall out. ATs are a great way to include lesser known characters, but while we're still waiting for the final roster, it's going to sting to see a character you were hoping for "uncomfirmed"

I do think well see more female playables in the game, but Lyn? Assist trophy is perfect for her given the fact that she was the lead in ONE Fire Emblem game, and only for the first three hours ... doesnt even begin to compare to Samus's importance.

Another female could come from one of the third parties or ... hell I dont know ... Daisy? Pauline? That weird princess chick from Galaxy? The fact that Nintendo had to go so obscure to add one new female in the form of Zero Suit Samus is proof that there just arent that many choices that fit the "must be really popular" and "must be female" boxes

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Talladega Knight said:
By the by, so when is Kirby being retconned into being a Pokemon?
Unlikely, the position of pink squeaky blob that copycats is currently occupied by Ditto.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
grandjedi6 said:
They most likely decided on all the characters before actually creating any of the movesets

Most probably, look at her model, clearly much lower res than the playable characters (no individual fingers, mirrored textures, etc)

Oh and to the Action Replay comment. You cannot trough any circumstance make the Action Replay add stuff like movements, walk cycles and sound effects to a character. You can make fully done characters like Master Hand and Giga Bowser playable, sure ... but the device cant code new shit for the game.

Speaking of Master Hand, I totally dont see him as the last boss anymore ... just not iconic enough, I think hell be a sub boss.

grandjedi6

Raging Spaniard said:
I do think well see more female playables in the game, but Lyn? Assist trophy is perfect for her given the fact that she was the lead in ONE Fire Emblem game, and only for the first three hours ... doesnt even begin to compare to Samus's importance.

Another female could come from one of the third parties or ... hell I dont know ... Daisy? Pauline? That weird princess chick from Galaxy? The fact that Nintendo had to go so obscure to add one new female in the form of Zero Suit Samus is proof that there just arent that many choices that fit the "must be really popular" and "must be female" boxes

What?

Talladega Knight said:
By the by, so when is Kirby being retconned into being a Pokemon?

Well he has already been retconned into a Zelda enemy so I think it'll be pretty hard to add Pokemon into there.

Raging Spaniard

grandjedi6 said:

I mean hell, thats a pretty out there choice just to add another female

"Lets add more girls!"
"What about Samus?"
"Shes already in the game you ass!"
"But what about her without her armor on?"
"Ooooh, tricky motherfucker! I see!"

Haunted

Who's Micaiah? *checks* ah, a lord in FE10, yes, that's quite possible. Titania, though... No way. She's not even a lord.

For tomorrow I predict an offensive item from the Mario universe, possibly plant-based.

Raging Spaniard said:
Speaking of Master Hand, I totally dont see him as the last boss anymore ... just not iconic enough, I think hell be a sub boss.
if in the game at all.

btw, now that 16-bit Andross has made it into the game, I'm not so sure there's place for another huge polygon-face. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Raging Spaniard said:
Most probably, look at her model, clearly much lower res than the playable characters (no individual fingers, mirrored textures, etc)

Oh and to the Action Replay comment. You cannot trough any circumstance make the Action Replay add stuff like movements, walk cycles and sound effects to a character. You can make fully done characters like Master Hand and Giga Bowser playable, sure ... but the device cant code new shit for the game.

Master Hand is revealed to be the puppeteer behind the Subspace Minister! Plot twists for all!

Hero

I would much rather have Nephenee as a playable FE girl. Unlikely, but that's my own personal request. :p

Actually, I think the most likely candidates for new playable female characters are Midna and Krystal.

grandjedi6

Raging Spaniard said:
I mean hell, thats a pretty out there choice just to add another female

"Lets add more girls!"
"What about Samus?"
"Shes already in the game you ass!"
"But what about her without her armor on?"
"Ooooh, tricky motherfucker! I see!"

"Hey how about we add Lyn to the game?"
"Who?"
"A female lord from Fire Emblem"
"Oh! Does she have blue hair?"
"Uh no"
"No thanks, make her an assist trophy"

papercut

Hero said:
Actually, I think the most likely candidates for new playable female characters are Midna and Krystal.

I'm still sticking to the prediction that Link transforms into wolf + Midna. I mean that's what his whole last game was about, why couldn't it happen in Smash? Even Zelda got to transform in Sheik in the last game, and you didn't even get to control either of them in OoT.

But then again, Nintendo has rarely made sense.

grandjedi6

papercut said:
I'm still sticking to the prediction that Link transforms into wolf + Midna. I mean that's what his whole last game was about, why couldn't it happen in Smash? Even Zelda got to transform in Sheik in the last game, and you didn't even get to control either of them in OoT.

But then again, Nintendo has rarely made sense.

We already know all of Link's moves so he probably won't be transforming into a wolf

papercut

grandjedi6 said:
We already know all of Link's moves so he probably won't be transforming into a wolf

Boo.

Well, transforming might not be handled the same way as in Melee, so you never know. I would honestly be very surprised if the wolf/midna combo wasn't playable in Brawl, not even as a separate character.

I think it would be a really interesting character to play as. Midna alone would also be cool I guess, but kind of weird (as in, out of context).

Haunted

grandjedi6 said:
Then again, Link 'should' have transformed into Young Link in Melee (going by Zelda canon), but didn't, so there's nothing stopping Sakurai from putting in the Wolf + Midna combo as its own character.

grandjedi6

Haunted One said:
Then again, Link 'should' have transformed into Young Link in Melee (going by Zelda canon), but didn't, so there's nothing stopping Sakurai from putting in the Wolf + Midna combo as its own character.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with that. It is possible. However we know LInk's moveset so he won't be transforming. It would have to be a separate character.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
nepheneelh7.jpg

BELIEVE!

Seriously though she would be a great addition, sadly it will never happen. SSB needs more female characters and more characters that dont just use their fists or a sword. There are other weapons out there Sakurai, axes, lances, staves, knives, clubs, etc.

This lack of diversity is especially apparent when you look at how 4 of the current 18 characters in Brawl do not rely on unarmed combat and as well only 4 of the 25 Melee characters did not either, of which all 4 use swords in both games(though Pit does use a bow too). There is a desperate need for armed, non-sword users in the series.

I completely understand the series is supposed to be top Nintendo characters clashing against each other, but its also now become a premier fighter and should not be crippled by the need for every character to be a complete superstar in order to appear in the roster. Characters like Nephenee, Titania or Lyn should not be sidelined because they arent recognizable enough when they offer a unique characteristic to the game.

I didnt know anything about Marth or Roy when I first unlocked them in Melee, but I looked them up, I read their profiles, and because of that I got interested FE in the first place. Same for Ness in the original SSB, without whom I never would have gone back and played Earthbound.

grandjedi6

Amir0x said:
So wait, Lyn is in... wasn't there a ban bet between Zeed and MasterMFauli? How did it go, i forget :lol
MasterMFauli said:
Wait, let me clarify the bet:

- Micaia or Sothe in = I win
- Marth or Lyn in = You win
- One or more from each sides = Tie

But what if just Lyn and Marth arent in? That´s what i said for sure ;-)

But even without that, i accept your bet.
What does a 1 month ban mean to me, anyway ^^

grandjedi6

Linkzg said:
so what is the situation now? does being 'in' include assist character.

MasterMFauli is being a good man about it

MasterMFauli said:
Ok, im not yet done, Zeed ^^
Though i think we made the bet about playable characters, i´ll take it with trophies, as wel..
But it can still turn into a tie, if Micaia or Sothe are in the game ;-)

ant1532

Banned
Why is Zeed banned right now? Did he analyze the crap out of someone's post and tell them what they really meant which led to a heated argument?

Just playing with you Zeed :p

papercut

What's the deal with Nephenee? I know that she's a character in Path of Radiance, but I never used her. I'm not seeing where all the love is coming from. Is she a major character in another game or something?

Raging Spaniard

SuperAngelo64 said:
Man I hope that was sarcasm :lol

Number of Smash Bros games: 2, 3rd in development

Number of Street Fighter games: 14 +

So no, go ahead and do some research on how many millions of dollars Street Fighter has made Capcom, do it, just because the series is dead now it doesn't mean its not one of the most successful videogame franchises of all time and not deserving of respect.

Christopher

ant1532 said:
Why is Zeed banned right now? Did he analyze the crap out of someone's post and tell them what they really meant which led to a heated argument?

Just playing with you Zeed :p

It's sort of refreshing not having to trudge through every other post commented by Zeed...literally. haha.

I do wonder if the Fire Emblem characters will get English Voice overs, as they are now localized to the English Audience?

Also I honestly can't think of anything else I want from this game besides post 150 of the orignal pokemons not appearing - hmmm...maybe King K Rool - as I think every hero deserves the oppostion to fight as well...we need more "villian" characters to fight.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
papercut said:
What's the deal with Nephenee? I know that she's a character in Path of Radiance, but I never used her. I'm not seeing where all the love is coming from. Is she a major character in another game or something?

Umm shes like the best character in the game. She is a complete beast after you get by her first few levels of unstableness. By far one of the coolest looking characters as well.

Jiggy

papercut said:
She's pretty minor, but she's got an awesome design, she uses a lance instead of the boring overused sword, and she's quite possibly the strongest non-mounted non-Ike unit in the game.

No chance of getting in Smash, but she's really great.

papercut

Jiggy37 said:
She's pretty minor, but she's got an awesome design, she uses a lance instead of the boring overused sword, and she's quite possibly the strongest non-mounted non-Ike unit in the game.

No chance of getting in Smash, but she's really great.

Fair enough. I'm not the type to level up every unit in these types of games, so she got overlooked fairly quickly. Nice art, though.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Wow, Nephenee has a MUCH more interesting character design than Lyn , not to mention she is using a weapon other than a sword (as has been mentioned)!!!

I'd love to have a lancer/spear-wielding character in the game. Especially female. :O

P.S. Having Zeed banned feels like a member of the family is missing. :( We need all of our "Dojo Thread" members to stay alive, dammit. :p

G-Off

Christopher said:
I do wonder if the Fire Emblem characters will get English Voice overs, as they are now localized to the English Audience?
Well Ike had one in Radiance, which was nice, even if it was Hayden Christiansen's voice. (Ew.)

Linkzg said:
so what is the situation now? does being 'in' include assist character.

I dunno, i think Zeed shouldn't have been banned because she was in the game.....
I don't think the bet was on a "have to be playable" I thought it was just in, however I have been wrong before......

On another note, I think Daisey will make it in and I trust Sakuri to make it balanced guy and girl ratio.

EDIT: I starte this post a few pages ago and just got to get it in so.....yeah

grandjedi6

Frozen Fire said:
I dunno, i think Zeed shouldn't have been banned because she was in the game.....
I don't think the bet was on a "have to be playable" I thought it was just in, however I have been wrong before......

On another note, I think Daisey will make it in and I trust Sakuri to make it bal

That's not why Zeed was banned

Firestorm

MrCheez said:
Wow, Nephenee has a MUCH more interesting character design than Lyn , not to mention she is using a weapon other than a sword (as has been mentioned)!!!

I'd love to have a lancer/spear-wielding character in the game. Especially female. :O

P.S. Having Zeed banned feels like a member of the family is missing. :( We need all of our "Dojo Thread" members to stay alive, dammit. :p

I remember this thread going to hell when ant was banned.

And what is with you people and "no item update in a while". Assist Trophy today, Pokeball yesterday, I say those qualify as item updates!

grandjedi6

Firestorm said:
I remember this thread going to hell when ant was banned.

And what is with you people and "no item update in a while". Assist Trophy today, Pokeball yesterday, I say those qualify as item updates!

Maybe this is Item week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom