• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

It has arrived! The Battleship Halberd! It’s Meta Knight’s battleship...isn’t it?

stage12_070912a-l.jpg

This warship’s bow is dazzling!

This stage begins in a hangar on the high seas. The platform follows the Halberd as it departs.

stage12_070912b-l.jpg

Ooooh. It’s so dynamic!

Eventually, you land on the ship’s deck.

stage12_070912c-l.jpg

What you see in the background is a double-barreled battery. With an arm.

Use extreme caution near the double-barreled battery! It launches beams and missiles and even attacks with its arm.

stage12_070912d-l.jpg

Dodge it well and try to make it hit your foe!

The Battleship Halberd appears not only in multiplayer Brawl stages, but also plays a very important role in The Subspace Emissary. That role is something you’ll have to look forward to.

too much environmental hazard, i prefer straight forward stages where I can focus on my enemy. Im fine with it in stages like Corneria in melee where the ships dont get too in the way, but this seems like it might be annoying

Wishful thinking, I know, but id like there to be an option to turn of the ships attacks.

This confirms that Meta Knight isn't the main bad character! OH SHIT!

"It's Meta Knight's ship... ISN'T IT?"
"It'll play a a big part in STORY MODE. HINT HINT."

Jiggy

WordAssassin said:
This confirms that Meta Knight isn't the main bad character!
Yep.

Also, now A Link to the Snitch is vindicated, since he was the most vocal person other than me (and much moreso than me) saying Meta Knight wasn't going to be the villain based on his character history in every Kirby game. Say, where's ALttS been lately anyway?

M3wThr33

Banned
WordAssassin said:

Meta Knight is bad guy until Giga Bowser steps in or some bullshit. It's not worth freaking out about, I guarantee that.

I was kidding...?

However, it's obvious that the main bad guys are from SubSpace. That much has been made abundantly clear. This update just leads us to believe Meta Knight's ship has been stolen by them.

Edit: Wow the sarcasm meters are broken left and right here today.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I can baselessly speculate too...

MR. RESETTI IS THE MAIN BAD GUY -- PROOF? HE HASN'T BEEN IN ANY OF THE SCREENSHOTS SO FAR... NOT EVEN THE ANIMAL CROSSING STAGE!

Time to go submit the "news"

M3wThr33

Banned
WordAssassin said:
I was kidding...?

However, it's obvious that the main bad guys are from SubSpace. That much has been made abundantly clear. This update just leads us to believe Meta Knight's ship has been stolen by them.

Edit: Wow the sarcasm meters are broken left and right here today.

The crazees in here used up all the salt I've been pinching.

Chumly

Dark Ninja said:
where?
all I see are flat levels or flat levels with 2 platforms on top

Look harder then

Castle Seige -changing stage
WarioWare - just look at the pics
Pokemon Stadium 2 - Floor Morphs
Rumble Falls - Scrolling
Skyworld - Smaller crumbling platforms

We already have plenty of stages that are going to offer variety and besides theres still a shitton of stages that have yet to be revealed/are secret. Stop overacting...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I still think Meta Knight is still the villan even if its only for part of the story

Jiggy37 said:
Yep.

Also, now A Link to the Snitch is vindicated, since he was the most vocal person other than me (and much moreso than me) saying Meta Knight wasn't going to be the villain based on his character history in every Kirby game. Say, where's ALttS been lately anyway?
He was banned in the same thread Zeed was.

Chumly said:
Look harder then

Rumble Falls - Scrolling

We already have plenty of stages that are going to offer variety and besides theres still a shitton of stages that have yet to be revealed/are secret. Stop overacting...
im not overeacting I said I was getting worried plus

castle seige although it changes it still remains pretty much flat also Wario Ware, rumble falls, and skyworld the only one that may be different is pokemon stadium but that one is also pretty much a flat level with platforms floating over it

Chumly

Dark Ninja said:
im not overriacting I said I was getting worried plus

castle seige although it changes it still remains pretty much flat also Wario Ware, rumble falls, and skyworld the only one that may be different is pokemon stadium but that one is also pretty much a flat level with platforms floating over it

Im just curious then how many stages you classify in Melee as non-flat/or with just platforms.

Chumly said:
Im just curious then how many stages you classify in Melee as non-flat/or with just platforms.
Mushroom Kingdom - Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom - Rainbow Cruise
Termina - Great Bay
Hyrule Temple
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Kanto - Pokemon Stadium
Lylat System - Corneria
Lylat System - Venom
Eagleland - Onett
Kanto Skies - Poke Floats
Mushroom Kingdom 2
Eagleland - Fourside
Planet Zebes - Brinstar Depths

also in super smash brothers (N64)
Peach's Castle
Hyrule Castle
Planet Zebes
Sector Z
Saffron City

Chumly

Dark Ninja said:
Mushroom Kingdom - Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom - Rainbow Cruise
Termina - Great Bay
Hyrule Temple
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Kanto - Pokemon Stadium
Lylat System - Corneria
Lylat System - Venom
Eagleland - Onett
Kanto Skies - Poke Floats
Mushroom Kingdom 2
Eagleland - Fourside
Planet Zebes - Brinstar Depths

also in super smash brothers (N64)
Peach's Castle
Hyrule Castle
Planet Zebes
Sector Z
Saffron City
I see a shit ton of flat/platform levels so im not even gonna bother argueing with you. Just be happy with the fact that there were 29 stages in melee and only 12 so far have been revealed in brawl and that theres going to be more stages than there was in melee.

AniHawk

WordAssassin said:

It's probably the last level where you fight the main villain: Meta Knight.

Chumly said:
I see a shit ton of flat/platform levels so im not even gonna bother argueing with you. Just be happy with the fact that there were 29 stages in melee and only 12 so far have been revealed in brawl and that theres going to be more stages than there was in melee.
hey im not trying to argue with anyone I simply stated that I was worried that so far they have only shown levels that are flat and follow the same basic formula of one main platform and 2 or 3 platforms floating on top of it, there are also levels that we know about that have not been shown officially that follow the same formula as well, like the mario kart stage

also we don't know if there's going to be more stages than in melee there might be less(or at least I didn't know that,is there a link to confirm this)

DDayton

You know, I'd like to see more variety in stage design, too... but I get the impression that the folks who liked Hyrule Temple are in the minority.

I fully expect at least ONE "big stage", but I'd like to see more unique stages too... like the Bay level (whatever the Zelda/Termina stage was called). Less of the Final Destination / Fountain of Dreams stuff.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DavidDayton said:
You know, I'd like to see more variety in stage design, too... but I get the impression that the folks who liked Hyrule Temple are in the minority.

I fully expect at least ONE "big stage", but I'd like to see more unique stages too... like the Bay level (whatever the Zelda/Termina stage was called). Less of the Final Destination / Fountain of Dreams stuff.

No. That actually seems to be people's favorite stage

Chumly said:

He´s right, though.
And the stages he mentioned arent flat at all.
They´re nicely design scenes of a "natural" environment, and you fight on it.
So far, most SSBB-stages consist of a flying flat platform, while in the background a lot of stuff happens.
Im with him and hoping that we´ll get a lot more of non-flying-platform stages from now on.

Oh, and seeing how we finally got the Halberd-stage...does anyone know if we NOW have all the things seen in trailers as updates?

I LOVE Hyrule Temple, that with Starfox's ship was one of our most played round here.

They better have a level like that, never really been into the constant melee crash bang 4 people on small area style of play I like being able to set traps and stuff for people to walk into. :D

AMUSIX

Chumly said:
Look harder then

Rumble Falls - Scrolling

To be honest, I agree with Dark Ninja. The stages shown are woefully lacking in topographical interest.

Castle Seige is a basic platform with two floating platforms...then it crumbles and turns into...platform with two floating platforms....

WarioWare is flat platform with two floating platform which jumps to minigames at times, which are flat platform areas

Pokemon Stadium 2...now this is one of the more interesting stages they've shown...but it is still a primary flat platform base at all times.

Rumble Falls....again, a stage with more interest, but heavily based on the scrolling gimmick...

Skyworld...one primary flat platform, with four floating platforms...yes, they do crumble, but the topography isn't changed a whole lot.

I think what Dark Ninja is getting at (and, really, what I feel is lacking so far) are levels that deliver a more interesting playfield without resorting to gimmicks. So far, there is nothing that matches any of the following stages:
Eagleland: Fourside
Lylat System: Venom
Lylat System: Corneria
Hyrule: Temple
Termina: Great Bay
Mushroom Kingdom II
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle

None of these are based by a single flat platform, and most have vertical elements, either in stacks of platforms, or in actual vertical blocks (like the tower on Peach's Castle). Even stages like Hyrule Castle and Saffron City in the first Smash Bros. deliver more interesting playfields than seem to be the norm in Brawl.

I keep hoping it'll change, and, really it has improved since my first post on this topic...unfortunately, more of the improvement is in the addition of gimmick stages. Again, I really, really hope that this more battlefield-like approach to stage design isn't a result of Sakurai's drive to make the stages more 'fair' and 'balanced'.

So far, most SSBB-stages consist of a flying flat platform, while in the background a lot of stuff happens.
This needs to be emphasized.

Instead of fighting through an animal crossing town, on the roof of the museum, over a bridge, on the fountain, etc....we fight on a platform hovering in front of one.

Instead of fighting on the Halberd, from bow to stern (like we did on the Great Fox) we fight on a floating platform in front of it.

Instead of fighting in Skyworld, through its temples and over its ruins...we fight on floating platforms in front of them.

There have just been a lot of missed opportunities so far...but at least the stages will be guaranteed to be 'fair'. Though, I fail to see how a stage is fair to one player and unfair to another.

Dreavus

MasterMFauli said:
Oh, and seeing how we finally got the Halberd-stage...does anyone know if we NOW have all the things seen in trailers as updates?

Well, Snake still hasn't been revealed (although I understand he's not going to be on the site until after release?). There's also the business of that quick-roll/wavedash-thing that we saw Meta Knight and Pit perform... he hasn't told us exactly what that is yet either. Other than that I think that about covers all of it.

Oh and we're still waiting on that Mario Kart stage too

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Sort of being an ok week, nothing too big but eh, you can't win them all. I guess it was disappointing that Lynn is an assist instead of a real character but maybe they will make up for it by saying Ness is back. I wonder what new character will be revealed this week.

Also, are they still going to do updates after the game is released? It sort of makes sense to continue by adding the secret characters and everything and other stages and everything but then again, at that point we can figure out everything on our own.

usea

Have we gotten an update about the crawling shown in the video? I'm really ill and don't feel like checking. I remember somebody (wario?) backing up while crouched. You can't back up ever in melee, and you can't move while crouched. You can only slide.

As for the stage diversity, I'm torn. On one hand, I personally feel that the simple stages are by far the best for a bunch of reasons. So I'm happy to see them have some diversity WITHIN the simple stages, difference nuances, slight inclines, varied platform layout, etc.

On the other hand, I recognize a lot of people (especially those who don't play competitively) love the huge or terrain levels like corneria, hyrule temple, um rainbow cruise? Anyway, I definitely support a wide range of stage types so everybody can play how they want.

Ultimately that's what makes the game so successful (not financially, I mean as a quality product), because players from just about every background can have a lot of fun playing it however they want. It has room for everybody.

I'm torn though because I want to see more great 'simple' stages without background interference :)

AMUSIX

usea said:
As for the stage diversity, I'm torn. On one hand, I personally feel that the simple stages are by far the best for a bunch of reasons. So I'm happy to see them have some diversity WITHIN the simple stages, difference nuances, slight inclines, varied platform layout, etc.

On the other hand, I recognize a lot of people (especially those who don't play competitively) love the huge or terrain levels like corneria, hyrule temple, um rainbow cruise? Anyway, I definitely support a wide range of stage types so everybody can play how they want.

Ultimately that's what makes the game so successful (not financially, I mean as a quality product), because players from just about every background can have a lot of fun playing it however they want. It has room for everybody.

I'm torn though because I want to see more great 'simple' stages without background interference :)
Oh, I definitely understand the desire for simple stages, especially by the tournament crowd, but, really, how many can you have?

So far, the simple stages with little to no announced background interference are Battlefield, Delphino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise (though it may have interfering blasts), and Smashville. Are more really needed? Maybe a final destination type stage...but to have 12 stages already shown and not a single non-gimmick with varying elevation is worrisome to those who like the series for the variety.

DDayton

usea said:

The problem I have isn't the existance of simple (or, as I call 'em, "boring") stages... even Final Destination can be amusing every once in a while. My issue is that instead of seeing much real variation, we're seeing the same basic design again and again and again.

If we have one Final Destination-like stage, and one Dream Fountain-like stage, why do we need several more of each? That's just eye candy without and real difference to the stages. I was annoyed by the use of overly similar stage design in a few choices in Melee (Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, and to some extent the N64 Dreamland)... Brawl is looking like it extends the use of clone stages to silly levels.

Am I worried? Not really... I can't imagine that the game will disappoint. I'm just wondering when the good levels will start showing up.

SantaC

DavidDayton said:
The problem I have isn't the existance of simple (or, as I call 'em, "boring") stages... even Final Destination can be amusing every once in a while. My issue is that instead of seeing much real variation, we're seeing the same basic design again and again and again.

If we have one Final Destination-like stage, and one Dream Fountain-like stage, why do we need several more of each? That's just eye candy without and real difference to the stages. I was annoyed by the use of overly similar stage design in a few choices in Melee (Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, and to some extent the N64 Dreamland)... Brawl is looking like it extends the use of clone stages to silly levels.

Am I worried? Not really... I can't imagine that the game will disappoint. I'm just wondering when the good levels will start showing up.

on the other hand, the flying ship stage was such a trainwreck. Iceclimber level was also useless. There were some experimental stages in melee that sucked.

PkunkFury

What I want to see are stages that have interesting subsections. To me these are the best for multiplayer games. Everyone brings up Hyrule Castle, and there's a reason. You could fight on the left hand side, where you struggled for the top of the slanted roof. You could fight up the tower in the middle, this was usually to get to an item, escape tornados, or knock down a camper. Finally, you could fight on the right hand side, where the dynamic changed due to the little house thing you could squat in. All these areas are connected by a busy mid-section which is great for laying traps and dodging tornados.

It's really not a large level, but the amount of variety keeps things interesting. You change your play style depending on where in the level you end up; you always have an exit in mind to retreat to or a goal in mind to take over. The level isn't symetrical, it encourages strategies in team play (splitting up and commanding different areas), it makes scrounging for items interesting, and it remains small enough for good 2-player games.

N64 game had the best stage design. Each stage had a unique platform layout. Each stage also had a unique gimmick, which was never too overbearing. The stage gimmicks only effected small areas, so you knew when you were putting yourself at risk (Hyrue had tornado alley, Saffron City had the Pokemon door, etc.) The worst thing we got was Brinstar's rising acid pool, but even then you knew you were safer on the top

Melee went crazy with the gimmicks and cut back on the unique stage designs. Many stages cloned layouts with a minor change or two. Many stages were small, confining all 4 players to a pig pile. The more interestig stages scroll, which is great for a few stages, but there should be some cool stages that don't scroll... A couple stages tried some interesting terrain desing, but they ended up being flawed, such as hyrule Temple, which is too big and has that bottom part where you can live forever.

It seems brawl is taking Melee's approach. I just hope Saffron City and Hyrule Castle are included as legacy stages

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Not a big fan of flying platform type levels as there is no strategy to be used on those levels. Also I agree with PkunkFury on that the N64 game had the best stage design.

I hope a few of the N64 stages make a return as well, such as:

Planet Zebes
Hyrule Castle
Saffron City
Peaches Castle

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Not bad at all. But we knew that stage already.

At least he can't reveal it in a future update..oh God..he can't, can he!!??

Also, last night I went to sleep after Captain N said his friend would be playing the game (at the Gamestop convention?) that night. Any info on this, N?

CassSept

DavidDayton said:
I can baselessly speculate too...

MR. RESETTI IS THE MAIN BAD GUY -- PROOF? HE HASN'T BEEN IN ANY OF THE SCREENSHOTS SO FAR... NOT EVEN THE ANIMAL CROSSING STAGE!

Time to go submit the "news"
What if Mr. Resetti is playable :eek:

I am glad Sakurai plans to reveal every stage in the game to us before its release so we can speculate without looking like total idiots on how there's not enough variety.

Dr.Hadji

curls said:
Not a big fan of flying platform type levels as there is no strategy to be used on those levels. Also I agree with PkunkFury on that the N64 game had the best stage design.

I hope a few of the N64 stages make a return as well, such as:

Planet Zebes
Hyrule Castle
Saffron City
Peaches Castle

No Strategy? Do you honestly think that's the case?

If you think the N64 has the best stage design, then when Brawl comes out, you'll hardly notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom