• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are unpredictable... It sounds like it's a totally random process for a new update or a string of updates. (Ike shown before Meta Knight was even mentioned). But on the off-chance that I'm right, let's say that tomorrow's update will be an item.

Jiggy

I was going to revert to my usual "Captain Falcon or Mother stage" prediction, but we had a stage yesterday.

So Captain Falcon or Lucas. If it's Captain Falcon, it'll be a double update that includes his final smash, since we haven't seen a final smash since August 23. (We've gone longer without seeing a final smash than any other type of update.) If it's Lucas, like I said yesterday, he'll be shown in Smashville with the Animal Crossing characters cheering him on, just to make Amir0x's head explode.

Insaniac

out of curiosity how many characters total do you think will be in Brawl? I've heard people speculate it will be no more than Melee, but for some reason I think it'll be more.

JCX

So if by some chance ness is revealed to be the last returning characters, should we expect falcon to be gone completely?

GamerSoul

Insaniac said:
out of curiosity how many characters total do you think will be in Brawl? I've heard people speculate it will be no more than Melee, but for some reason I think it'll be more.

I think 35 would be a good number. It kinda makes me wonder how many Assist Trophies will there be. Probably not as much.

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
It's pretty much impossible to not surpass SSBM's roster size at this point, so don't worry. We've already seen 19 characters (18 on the Dojo, plus Snake), and logos can lead us to believe that Mother, F-Zero, and Animal Crossing characters are in, which makes 22.

So that only needs four more to match SSBM. Considering that we haven't yet seen Luigi, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Falco, Marth, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, we've already made it to SSBM's size if even half of these old characters make it in. And that's still not accounting for the probability of at least one more third-party character, plus the character from whichever Nintendo franchise hasn't been represented yet in the numbering system the Dojo uses for its franchise symbols.

Scribble

Cyan said:
Yeah, Tingle would be a great character.

Up B: Float around on a stupid-ass balloon
B: Make a face like you have down syndrome
Side B: Make a retarded noise and say you wish you were a fairy
Down B: Charge FIVE THOUSAND FUCKING RUPEES to translate a goddamn map for a shitty fetch quest

Smooth.

I'm expecting just less than 40 characters.

It just occurred to me that I had the idea of a Halberd stage in January of 06. My concept is wrought by complexity, though. The bits I wrote up that are actually in Brawl are fighting alongside the Halberd (though on some floating platform instead of warp star) and fighting beside the combo cannon. The falling through the stage concept is employed in the Fire Emblem stage. Here's the post for anyone's curiosity that doesn't compel them enough to click links to old topics of obsessive musings of someone that had too much free time at some point. Bonus for odd second stage idea.
Jan 06 Crazy Kirbu said:
»»Two Level Ideas for The Next Smash Brothers...««
Assuming the next time we square off Mario and Pikachu isn't too radically different, I've got a couple ideas I've repeated all over the place. The first idea of mine, similar to SSBM's action stages, was with the Halberd from, I think, the greatest Kirby game yet: Kirby Superstar. With an extended version of the draw-in from the Revenge of Metaknight's first level (direct link to the song here), the fighters start out high in the clouds atop a gigantic warp star. Nothing special about it. The star careens through the sky. As the clouds begin to clear, the Halberd appears in the horizon, way above Orange Ocean. The fight continues on the star as it careens directly at the ship! As the star approaches the front hull of the Halberd, a warning blinks on-screen (like before you get hit by a car in Onett) to get the fighters to jump before impact. Whoever is stll on the star when it slams into the ship gets instantly blown sky high. Everyone else that jumps will have their momentum carry them onto the outside of the ship. The screen will begin to crawl to the right as the fighters brawl on and the warp star takes off. Eventually, as Kirby enemies get in the way and try and interfere, the screen will reach Combo Cannon!
twincannon.gif

Now, the screen will stop scrolling and Combo Cannon will take over. the fighters can ignore it if they choose, but it'll be hard to. All of Combo Cannon's attacks will be in full effect, the laser will still be there, resulting in an instant kill if hit. You can duck under it, but there still is the one rising section of platform. There's still the hand that slams you against the ground. And the cannon will fire at opponents. But, inbetween smashing each other's faces, the combatants can attack and destroy Combo Cannon. Upon dieing, the ship will shake and Combo Cannon will flash red and explode, hurting anyone next to it, and destroying the entire deck. The fighters will fall down into the ship for a while until landing in front of Heavy Lobster.
hlapproach.gif

In an area similar to KSS, Heavy Lobster will stalk the fighters and destroy whatever gets it in his way. The screen will also slowly scroll to the right with the robot, creating chaos as fighters try and save themselves while sending opponents into the walking behemoth. As this point, Heavy Lobster can be attacked, but not killed. The screen will continue to scroll until you get a clearing similar to where you fought Heavy Lobster in KSS. Just as with Combo Cannon, you can ignore Heavy Lobster as it careens back and forth, trying to attack everyone. Or, you can find the time to attack it! All of the damage done to Heavy Lobster from earlier will come into play now, so it may be easier to kill. Upon dieing, Heavy Lobster will spaz out, giving time for everyone to scatter (or send opponents into the hazard) away from the imminent explosion, creating another hole below the fighters, plummeting them safely downward into the bottom of the ship, where you'll end up next to the Halberd's Reactor!
reactor.gif

(Fighters would only be able to die here by either going up or left) Just like with the other three bosses, everyone can ignore the reactor, but it will attack everyone. At this point, the Halberd is starting to wobble a little in air and items may start bouncing around. The Reactor will have the same slew of attacks, like the giant, powerful, slow-moving blast and the shooting laser. And the rules will still apply from KSS; fighters would not be able to attack the Reactor directly and would be shocked if they tried to do so. Instead, the laser will still be the only way to deal damage to the reactor. This will be more annoying since you will have to be aware of who the laser is tracked onto and that person will have to aim the shot at the reactor, or let it happen with blind luck or a ricochet. After five or so hits, you guessed it, the reactor will explode and the ground will give out below you. However, this fall isn't so graceful. The ship is now falling from the sky, breaking apart around you. The screen will not scroll down very fast, so the fighters much jump around on the falling wreckage and fight it out until everything ends up in the ocean below. It's fairly close to shore, so the water isn't very deep, but from half of the screen to the right, you will die by jumping into the water as the shoreline drops immediately. Floating wreckage will provide ground as the fighters continue at it, but the hazard will be the ship above them, falling to the ground! Small wreckage will probably only do a little damage, but large (and I mean, like, an entire wing) will land onto the ground (warnings by shadows) and crush fighters to death. Eventually, the main husk of the ship will land behind everyone and the debris will stop fighting. The remainder of the brawl will carry on as normally at the beach with a little shore and the wreckage to fight on.

Okay, my second level idea, fighting atop the Skyrunner! The level starts off outside Dr. Andonuts' lab in Winters. Everyone fights as normal as Jeff and Andonuts wheel the Skyrunner out into the middle of playing field. They will wander around it, fixing it and such. The surface of the Skyrunner is slick, like the UFO in SSBM, but the rims of it have traction. Anyway, after a few minutes, the pair will finish and Jeff will climb inside from the front entrance, giving a thumbs up to Andonuts from one of the windows. The Skyrunner music will begin to fade in, building up for the takeoff. The Skyrunner will begin to shake and about a second or two before takeoff, a warning will flash on screen. Before the ship takes off (and the skyrunner will be very large to accommodate as an adequate fighting stage, about the size of Final Destination) its the fighters' duty to get onto the ship and keep everyone else off. When the Skyrunner takes off, the screen will scroll up with it, killing anyone that gets stuck back on the snow. The Skyrunner will take off high into the sky. The antennae in the middle of the ship is your only saving grace on this empty stage. As the Skyrunner flies around, at times it will slowly rotate midair, like a log in a river. After flying for a considerable amount of time, the antennae will begin to blink, in sync with the music, to alert for a descent. In true Skyrunner fashion, the ship will plummet down to the ground. The destination can be any of the popular Earthbound locales, from Summers, to Threed, to Twoson, to, well, anywhere. As the Skyrunner closes in on the ground, the camera will pan out and the screen will flash a warning for everyone to jump ship and avoid the explosion that the Skyrunner will make upon hitting the ground. As you may have guessed, anyone on the ship or very close to it when it hits ground will be taken out. A charred Jeff will also be ejected from the wreckage into the foreground. The new area and its surroundings will become the new battleground. As the war rages on, Jeff will eventually regain consciousness, clean himself off, and begin to repair the Skyrunner. Eventually, it will be back to its initial state and the process repeats.
Pardon the post bloat, but I found it interesting. I know that I probably really, really over-thought these, but feel free to remind me how crazy these products of a reverie are.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I was thinking about the Subspace Emissary recently and who the main villain could be. While I think it's going to be Master Hand, I considered a few other Nintendo villains and how plausible it would be for them to be the antagonist of the game. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Bowser: I highly doubt it. In the old days, the NES/SNES/early N64 eras, I might have considered Bowser a likely candidate. But ever since Mario 64, he's been portrayed as less of a sinister and malevolent villain and more of a comical one. In the days when Bowser had goals of world conquest in which Peach's capture was only a step, Bowser might have had the ambition to pull a plot like the Subspace Emissary off. Now, though, he's pretty much been reduced to snatching Peach every now and again before getting thwarted by Mario.

King K. Rool: Too much of a bungler. I can see him being a minion of the Subspace Emissary's villain, though.

Ganon: He's certainly evil enough to pull something like this off, but I somehow don't think he's behind it. All of his plots revolve around the Triforce anyway, so this is out of his league.

Meta-Knight: I already explained why there's no way he's the villain in this one.

King Dedede: No way. Dedede has been consistently portrayed, right from day one, as not an evil villain but a mischievous and greedy troublemaker who sometimes goes too far but has an essentially decent core. He's only a boss when he's gone too far in his mischief (Dreamland, Spring Breeze), when Kirby jumps to conclusions and kicks his ass for no reason (Adventure, Squeak Squad), or when he's possessed by Dark Matter (Dreamland 3, Crystal Shards). Speaking of which...

Dark Matter: Now HERE'S an interesting one. If I was to guess an antagonist besides Master Hand or a priorly unintroduced character, my money would be on Dark Matter. He's a corrupting force that can transcend space and time. Plus, his shadowy look would certainly go well with the shadowy figures we've seen in relation to the story mode. I could definitely see a plot revolving around Dark Matter attempting to spread his corrupting influence to other dimensions. Only issue is, though....he's dead. And he's actually stayed dead.

Andross: No, I don't think so. Not only is he dead (and actually stayed dead after Adventures), but he's just not a significant enough threat. Plus, he's an Assist Trophy, so I doubt he'd appear as the real villain.

Smithy: Haha, no. Actually, from a purely logical standpoint, he's not a terrible choice; he's from "outside" Mario's world and as an alien, it's not inconceivable that he could travel to other game worlds. But yeah...he appeared in one game and he's Square's character, so not happening.

Pokey: He's Ness' nemesis from Earthbound. The Earthbound fanboy in me would love for Pokey to be the villain, but it's not likely. While he does possess a means of time travel and it would not be out of the bounds of reason for him to have dimensional travel, he's just not ambitious enough. Throughout all of Earthbound, he does nothing but ride on the coattails of others: Carpainter, Geldegarde Monotoli, and finally Giygas. Another reasonable choice for a minion or boss, but not the main villain.

Giygas: Again, the Earthbound fan in me would love this. But it's just not happening. Besides, Giygas could annihilate anyone in Brawl, including Ness, without any effort at all.

Dr. Eggman: Okay, this is a joke on my part. We're not even sure if Sonic is in this. I kind of like the idea of a SEGA villain attempting to take over the Nintendo universe. For one raised on the SEGA-Nintendo rivalry, that would be downright surreal to see in a game.

It's okay, I don't blame you for not reading that huge rant, I didn't read it over either. The only important thing is that the pig Ganon from LttP would be way better in Brawl than any stupid human version of Ganondorf.

Jiggy

Only one nitpick, kirbutashi. Kirby Super Star is not "I think" the greatest Kirby game yet--it is the greatest Kirby game. :D

And possibly the best overall sidescroller SNES ever saw. Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island were superior single-player experiences, but KSS had co-op and they didn't, and KSS had even better music than those two, plus its 120 or so moves and its general video gaming fanservice (the parodies, the item collection). The day Kirby Super Star hits VC, there had better be some kind of enormous and awesome thread about it.

Iam Canadian said:
Dark Matter: Now HERE'S an interesting one. If I was to guess an antagonist besides Master Hand or a priorly unintroduced character, my money would be on Dark Matter. He's a corrupting force that can transcend space and time. Plus, his shadowy look would certainly go well with the shadowy figures we've seen in relation to the story mode.
This is what I agree with. And not just for the reasons you listed, but also because it's Sakurai's creation, and because if anything is going to take Meta Knight's ship, it would most likely be something from the Kirby universe.

Where has it been said that Dark Matter's stayed dead storyline-wise, though? Other than Kirby's Adventure, Dream Land 1, Super Star, and spinoffs, I seem to remember fighting Dark Matter in every Kirby game...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Iam Canadian said:
Mucho text

Well, Bowser seems to be the main bad guy in Galaxy, so yeah hes still pretty much on top form. However, since hes playable, I really doubt hell be the last boss (made sense in Melee since there wasn't any story to go with it)

I could see the evil guys in Brawl have their own separate evil storyline, but none of them being the final boss, since they're designing new enemies in the form of the subspace emissary. I expect a completely new final boss that collects bosses from Nintendo titles as the mid-bosses, with Master Hand maybe even on the side.

I mean, about Master Hand, wasnt that some sort of metaphor to represent the characters rebelling against the establishment that represents the player? It could be said that Master Hand IS the kid playing with his Nintendo toys, so maybe that does fit him into the final boss category, given what we know of the Subspace Emissary background story and how they want to collect stuff with those ROB bombs an' shit.

Or maybe its late and Im just typing nonsense, that actually sounds better.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
This is what I agree with. And not just for the reasons you listed, but also because it's Sakurai's creation, and because if anything is going to take Meta Knight's ship, it would most likely be something from the Kirby universe.

Where has it been said that Dark Matter's stayed dead storyline-wise, though? Other than Kirby's Adventure, Dream Land 1, Super Star, and spinoffs, I seem to remember fighting Dark Matter in every Kirby game...

From what I've read on Kirby fansites, the creature O2 in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards was Dark Matter's "ghost". Kirby destroyed it. Okay, so there is the possibility that Dark Matter could still return but as the story stands now, Dark Matter is gone for good.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
From what I've read on Kirby fansites, the creature O2 in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards was Dark Matter's "ghost". Kirby destroyed it. Okay, so there is the possibility that Dark Matter could still return but as the story stands now, Dark Matter is gone for good.
Went to look it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(Kirby_series)

Dark Mind was what I was thinking of... Didn't realize it wasn't Dark Matter itself. Maybe for SSBB they could just bring in another thing that just looks the same and has the same sorts of powers.

Haunted

I'm pretty sure that they'll create a new end boss for Brawl. Also remember that there are possibly branching paths in the adventure mode with different bosses waiting at each end.

I see established Nintendo characters as sub-bosses throughout the game, but not as a final boss.

Jiggy

YEAH, customizable stamina mode in there! :D One of the only things SSBM multiplayer lacked.
I do believe this qualifies as a megaton, and this would make it the only time we've had two of those in one month.

mj1108

What is Special Brawl?!

This is a mode that lets you apply special rules to normal brawls to customize your favorite ways to play!

various04_070913a-l.jpg

This is the Special Brawl Screen!

As you can see, you can apply a variety of rules at the same time. Before, you could only choose one, like Giant Melee, so this is a pretty cool step forward.

various04_070913b-l.jpg

First, let’s try putting on the Bunny Hood.

various04_070913c-l.jpg

And then add metal...

When you do this, you apply that characteristic from the start of the match to the end.

You can see the effects on the side of the screen, which is kind of fun. And getting the caption up above is also nice.

various04_070913d-l.jpg

It’s a Stamina Mega Flower Curry Heavy Slow Angled Brawl!

various04_070913e-l.jpg

And that’s how you fight!

Please try out a variety of different Brawl settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom