• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster

Banned
Wow..dunno why I think this but I think this is definitely a hint towards online..

Great update though. Adds a lot of variety to the game.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
.. and the character who called him is nowhere in sight. I submit this as decisive evidence that some AT's do replace your character, while others don't, your honor.

ummm...where is your proof that there were 4 players to begin with? It could easily be a 3player Brawl in that pic. :-/ Zelda or Yoshi could have summoned Knuckle Joe.
Still no decisive proof that "At replaces the character", which I think is a silly concept to begin with.

fernoca said:
DAILY DISSAPOINTED POSTER: CHECK

Come on.
It´d be so much fun to gang up with 2 other players fighting against one giant one. There was a scene in the melee-adventure mode, where you had to fight giant Donkey Kong. I want to play that with friends ^^

mugwhump

MasterMFauli said:
Come on.
It´d be so much fun to gang up with 2 other players fighting against one giant one. There was a scene in the melee-adventure mode, where you had to fight giant Donkey Kong. I want to play that with friends ^^
Well, you can always give the other players handicaps to make them weaker... but I agree, it's not quite the same.

traveler

Not Wario
Nice update. Looks like Brawl's version of Halo's Custom Matches.

MasterMFauli said:
Come on.

You are either with us or against us- take your pick.

Haunted

studio810 said:
Kick ass update. Can't wait to see all the options.
To be honest, I don't see a 'page 2' anywhere, and the update says:
This is the Special Brawl Screen!

...so I think these shown are all the modifiable options. Basically, they are the same as in Melee (+ curry/reflect (and gravity? I can't remember)), but you can now combine the different options for a whole new set of possibilities.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
This is the Special Brawl Screen!

What! So if he said "This is THE Character selection screen!" there would be no unlockables? or lets say, the screen only shoes 5 question marks, will that mean thats the amoung of unlockables?

Now I can see why you think Assist trophies take over the chaarcters.

Hey, when you look at things like that, ANYTHING is possible.

Having said all that, I don;t think there would be any unlockable options for the Brawl screen either, but we'll have to wait and see.

Akinola

Alright! Customizable options.

I'll finally be able to Stamina melee with more than 150 dmg.

Because in the world of melee, even though you can be the master of dealing damage, Fox can still kill you at 5% with a shinespike.

I reallllly hate that.

Haunted

WildArms said:
What! So if he said "This is THE Character selection screen!" there would be no unlockables? or lets say, the screen only shoes 5 question marks, will that mean thats the amoung of unlockables?

Now I can see why you think Assist trophies take over the chaarcters.
If we could unlock more special Brawl options, I think that there would be a visual indicator of that somewhere on the screen.

Looking at the My Music selection menu for example, we can see an indicator on how many pages there are, as well as clearly visible arrows to indicate that there's more to explore - none of that is in the special Brawl selection - so I think that's all we'll get for the Special Brawl options, yes.

I don't think that we will 'unlock' more options for special Brawl that will then suddenly appear out of nowhere - as your example with the character screen actually shows, the possibility of unlockables would be noted with ??? or somesuch.

Also, I specifically said that I don't think that all Assist trophies take over the character. Knuckle Joe seems to do that, but Lyn clearly doesn't.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Pretty sweet stuff. As was already mentioned, I just really hope you can further adjust some variables like HP in stamina mode.

As far as the 'fixed/angled' camera, look closely at the last screenshot. The viewpoint is angled down a bit looking at the stage I think... that could be what 'angled mode' looks like right there. :) (This is obviously using the 'giant' and 'curry' options as well)

Fixed Camera mode is probably like Melee's - it stays in the same spot and never pans in or out.

Who knows though, it could be special camera placement just for show on the website. But it seems to me like it would be one of the enabled options he is trying to show off in the last screen.

NeonZ

as your example with the character screen actually shows, the possibility of unlockables would be noted with ??? or somesuch.

The 6 unlockables clones in the last game didn't have '?' boxes in the screen.

However, I do think it's highly doubtful we're getting any new special melee modes, besides the ones in that picture.

The new modes are: Flower/ Bunny/ Clear(unless this is Invisible Melee)/ Reflect/ Light/ Heavy/ Angled Camera (unless this is supposed to be camera mode)

MasterMFauli said:
Meh, that disappoints me, too.

I always wanted to play a 1 vs. 3-match in SSBM, with the one player being giant.

:-(
Yeah. This is definitely a step in the right direction, but with enough options we could create scenarios as varied as those in the Event mode.

Nice customization put in. For those wanting more though, like if they have limits on stamina, why not just buy a Game Shark? (If they still exist).

Haunted

NeonZ said:
However, I do think it's highly doubtful we're getting any new special melee modes, besides the ones in that picture.

The new modes are: Flower/ Bunny/ Clear(unless this is Invisible Melee)/ Reflect/ Light/ Heavy/ Angled Camera (unless this is supposed to be camera mode)
yeah, I agree.

Clear sounds like Invisible Melee to me, but the camera option is still not really clear to me.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah. This is definitely a step in the right direction, but with enough options we could create scenarios as varied as those in the Event mode.
Man, now that you say that - have we heard anything about Event mode making a return? Highly enjoyable in Melee, a better singleplayer experience than the Adventure mode, imo.

Haunted One said:
yeah, I agree.

Clear sounds like Invisible Melee to me, but the camera option is still not really clear to me.

Man, now that you say that - have we heard anything about Event mode making a return? Highly enjoyable in Melee, a better singleplayer experience than the Adventure mode, imo.
It probably doesn't need to return, as all the events will likely be captured in single player.

I think this sounds great, and I am happy with the HP system too. Hopefully they have refined it. Come to think of it, for them to include a traditional fighter in this game, all they would have to do is enclose your fighters inside limited stages (as opposed to the way the stages are now with you losing if you fall of the stage).

Wouldn't that be cool...having smash bros. AND a traditional fighter in the same game?

Jiggy

TheKingsCrown said:
I think this sounds great, and I am happy with the HP system too. Hopefully they have refined it. Come to think of it, for them to include a traditional fighter in this game, all they would have to do is enclose your fighters inside limited stages (as opposed to the way the stages are now with you losing if you fall of the stage).
I don't even think they'd have to do that. Falling off is the equivalent of ring out, which is already pretty traditional. Besides, it's really hard to fall off in stamina mode unless it's your own fault, since the knockback is so minimal and never increases with damage.

Edit:

MasterMFauli
Banned
And to think he was complaining about the Dojo visitors needing to stay alive on GAF. >_>

ggd210

This game.... is gonna rock!! Will be incredible, a lot of friends who don't have wii are planning to buy it because of this game!! (lot of friends I mean like 3 lol!!)

have a nice day!

Firestorm

MasterMFauli said:
Meh, that disappoints me, too.

I always wanted to play a 1 vs. 3-match in SSBM, with the one player being giant.

:-(

Me too =O!!!

Anyway, I don't see the update as megaton at all... I mean, it's basically Melee's Special Melee mode but you can do more than one at once. I mean... how often do any of you even play Special Melee? Almost never? It's a cool update but not new thread-worthy.

Scribble

Tomorrow will be Captain Falcon. He's the only non hidden veteran left, right? Him and Ness/Lucas =P

I'm playing both Earthbound and Freshly Picked (Tingle's game) tonight. Oh, what a night.

Scribble said:
Tomorrow will be Captain Falcon. He's the only non hidden veteran left, right? Him and Ness/Lucas =P

I'm playing both Earthbound and Freshly Picked (Tingle's game) tonight. Oh, what a night.

As much as I really want them to announce Captain Falcon and Ness soon, I'm sure they are going to spread it out over the next couple months. They probably figure that those are the 2 more anticipated vets, and that's why they saved them for last. We still have about 60 updates to go before the game comes out. So, my guess is that we'll see Captain Falcon or Ness by the end of September and the other by the beginning of November. In between we'll get some new fighters as well.

Scribble

Stormwatch said:
As much as I really want them to announce Captain Falcon and Ness soon, I'm sure they are going to spread it out over the next couple months. They probably figure that those are the 2 more anticipated vets, and that's why they saved them for last.

That's true. If they revealed those two now, they wouldn't have any veterans to reveal until the game is released. Oh, I forgot about the Ice Climbers too.

traveler

Not Wario
Jiggy37 said:
I don't even think they'd have to do that. Falling off is the equivalent of ring out, which is already pretty traditional. Besides, it's really hard to fall off in stamina mode unless it's your own fault, since the knockback is so minimal and never increases with damage.

Edit:

And to think he was complaining about the Dojo visitors needing to stay alive on GAF. >_>

Was he banned for the comment on the previous page? That's REALLY harsh.

Jiggy

traveler said:
Was he banned for the comment on the previous page? That's REALLY harsh.
Looking over his posts, I think it was the SDF comment.

Dr.Hadji said:
Advance Wars crew revealed tomorrow.
Hey... now that you mention it, maybe that's how they could get Sami in the game. Play up the Dual Strike tag mechanic and let her and Andy switch any time. We need more transformation characters anyway, even though I'd only ever play as Sami.

Jiggy37 said:
Looking over his posts, I think it was the SDF comment.

Hey... now that you mention it, maybe that's how they could get Sami in the game. Play up the Dual Strike tag mechanic and let her and Andy switch any time. We need more transformation characters anyway, even though I'd only ever play as Sami.

No, I think it was something to do with the boxart....

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
zeldarooles said:
No, I think it was something to do with the boxart....
He called schuelma a member of the SDF.

Anyway, just to squash any chance of people believing that Brawl was playable at the Gamespot conference,

Adent said:
No it wasn't on the floor. That's BS. Nintendo only had Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and some other stuff that I didn't care about.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7812276&postcount=64

Not that I believed it, but the gullible are hard to sway back from their mountaintop

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
LegendofJoe said:
I just want to see what they've done with Ganondorf, I bet he looks pretty sweet.

GanondorfTP.jpg

He's going to be awesome. Expect him to look identical to this, as Zelda and Link are pretty much unchanged from their TP designs.

There is no way in hell they'd leave him with the Captain Falcon clone moveset he has in Melee (I hope not anyway)... so I can't wait to see what they come up with for him. :)

MrCheez said:
GanondorfTP.jpg

He's going to be awesome. Expect him to look identical to this, as Zelda and Link are pretty much unchanged from their TP designs.

There is no way in hell they'd leave him with the Captain Falcon clone moveset he has in Melee (I hope not anyway)... so I can't wait to see what they come up with for him. :)

I hope so, that looks kickass!

I think that you will be able to unlock new options. I just can't see Sakurai not putting it in. I'm sure that there is a second page, maybe on that screen he just hasn't unlocked it yet...

Dunno... Could go either way..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom