• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it was true, but it seemed legit. A gaming reporter had a interview with one of the devolpers and they were able to talk about many games including Brawl.

They made a list of facts and the ones I remember where:

1. No Clones this time

2. 40-50 Different Chars

3. 2-3 more third parties aside from Snake

I can't remember what site it was, It was a long time ago before the Dojo. It was, I think one of the big ones, like Gamespot or something. It could be true, it could be false, Although I hope it is true, because then the game would be awesome!

I don't really like clones, like It seems like they where too lazy to make a new character. I think the closest characters should be is like Mario and Luigi and there aren't any that should be that close. I think Falco should come back, but with a different moveset.

I pretty sure this article was true, mainly though cause I hate clones. Ohhh well! :D

ant1532

Banned
Frozen Fire said:
I don't know if it was true, but it seemed legit. A gaming reporter had a interview with one of the devolpers and they were able to talk about many games including Brawl.

1. No Clones this time

2. 40-50 Different Chars

I can't remember what site it was, It was a long time ago before the Dojo. It was, I think one of the big ones, like Gamespot or something. It could be true, it could be false, Although I hope it is true, because then the game would be awesome!

I don't really like clones, like It seems like they where too lazy to make a new character. I think the closest characters should be is like Mario and Luigi and there aren't any that should be that close. I think Falco should come back, but with a different moveset.

I pretty sure this article was true, mainly though cause I hate clones. Ohhh well! :D
That interview never happened. I don't understand how some of you are so easily fooled...

Firestorm

Frozen Fire said:

1. No Clones this time

2. 40-50 Different Chars

False.

1. Never mentioned in any interview. When Sakurai said "not every character will be returning" many sites automatically assumed clones were gone.
2. Never mentioned in any interview. Only thing Sakurai ever said was that "they tried really hard to hit 26 characters last time and "unintentionally" reached that number.
3. Actually, it was 2 - 3 INCLUDING Snake, if that

You're probably referring to some website's crappy understanding of the replies that Sakurai posted in the Japanese site.

And you know, if the clones had different animations but the same attacks they have now, nobody would even question their validity. But it seems that most of you place more emphasis on how a move looks rather than how a move acts. This is a video game, not a movie.

NeonZ

I was always told 2D characters were harder to make because you had to hand draw every animation pixel by pixel or something like that? Dunno...

The advantage of 3d is that it's possible to recycle animations in fairly different character models... Making Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone in a 2d game would be a waste of time and no different from making a completely new character, because almost the same resources would be required to give him a completely new moveset due to the necessity of drawing everything from scratch.

In SSBM, they could recycle almost everything given to Captain Falcon, only adding a few extra effects and then tweaking the stats. 'Clones' in 2d fighting games visually either are head swaps (like Ken) or even plain pallet swaps (Evil Ryu), recycling is much more limited.

Does anybody else find that the Dojo website is down quite often? It seems like have the time I try to go it comes up page not found. It corrects itself when I try again later but I just find it very odd. Could it be excess traffic?

GamerSoul

Frozen Fire said:
Yeah, that's it. Thanks.

I dunno, I really think it is true, because I am really just hope. It is probably false, I guess. Check it out if you want. See what you think. :D

Also, I got to the Dojo all the time to keep it up and it is never down. Maybe it is your computer.

I looked over it again(I seen it awhile ago too), it doesn't seem too farfetched. There are no crazy assumptions for new characters or anything. So far, it's right about the diff control options. The article says May'07 and the 4 controls update was on Brawl in Aug. 07.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/basic/basic05.html

who really knows though.

Twig

Banned
GamerSoul said:
I looked over it again(I seen it awhile ago too), it doesn't seem too farfetched. There are no crazy assumptions for new characters or anything. So far, it's right about the diff control options. The article says May'07 and the 4 controls update was on Brawl in Aug. 07.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/basic/basic05.html

who really knows though.
My favorite quote has nothing to do with Brawl.
stupid blog said:
The Wii-Specific Zelda is currently in the works. It is not currently planned for release within the next two years. It will differ greatly from former Zelda titles.
Oh wait...
Aonuma said:
We do have some ideas in the works, but I can't say for sure because none of them have been approved and we're still very much in the planning process, so I hope you look forward to whatever comes out.
That totally screams "in the works" to me. Clearly the guy is right about Brawl.

Blogdom redeemed.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Damn I want more Brawl updates on the weekends!! :(

I know I am being greedy and spoiled... but I just can't help it. :(

GamerSoul

It was probably just the PR guy or something making things sounds better than things are. It also says that Project HAMMER is close to being "finished". We know what happened to that.

Checking it again, the guy was also right about a longer Adventure mode too, but we already knew Sakurai was going to do that.

Firestorm

Suburban Cowboy said:
...unless you prefer Falco? Or prefer Lucas to Ness in the example I gave. But youre right, choice is a bad thing.

I'd rather have a character with an actual unique moveset (aka Falco compared to Fox in Melee) than a character who's merely a costume change.

If you're desperate for some more EB characters (EB fans kind of creep me out), then yeah Lucas as a colour switch for Ness (maybe with some facial features different) could make sense. The overall model wouldn't be able to change though unless you wanted to make a clunky-feeling characters.

I'll use an extreme case, Young Link vs Link. If Young Link was a Link "costume", every hit you did in a small space above YLink would still hit him because that's where Link's head would have been.

Either way, I play Young Link because of how he plays. I can't play Link to save my life. Just because Link looks different doesn't mean I'll play him.

Firestorm said:
I'll use an extreme case, Young Link vs Link. If Young Link was a Link "costume", every hit you did in a small space above YLink would still hit him because that's where Link's head would have been.

I dunno, that might feel awkward. I never really liked Young Link, though. It's just the fact there are 2 characters who are really the same person. Bit of a time rift thing! :lol

Scribble

Firestorm said:
Either way, I play Young Link because of how he plays. I can't play Link to save my life. Just because Link looks different doesn't mean I'll play him.

I get what you're saying about the "clones" being quite different when it comes to actual mechanics. In that sense, "clones" are a pretty cool concept (Having multiple spins on a particular moveset).

radiuhm

I really can't wait for this game, past month me and some friends at school have been playing a lot of melee, so hyped for this game.

I have a Melee question if someone can help me. My friends are fox/falco whores, and you know how that goes. The main problem I encounter with going against them is that I find them being able to get off their smashes at a real fast rate. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but anyway any tips on playing Cpt Falcon/Link?

Firestorm

radiuhm said:
I really can't wait for this game, past month me and some friends at school have been playing a lot of melee, so hyped for this game.

I have a Melee question if someone can help me. My friends are fox/falco whores, and you know how that goes. The main problem I encounter with going against them is that I find them being able to get off their smashes at a real fast rate. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but anyway any tips on playing Cpt Falcon/Link?

A really general tip is to not be afraid to use the C-Stick. Falcon I think does better than Link against Fox/Falco and definitely better in general.

Learn about advanced techniques and how to do them by watching Wak's Tutorial Videos:
Advanced How to Play Part 1
Advanced How to Play Part 2
Advanced How to Play Part 3

And also read a good Falcon guide. There's probably a good one in the Captain Falcon forums on SmashBoards, but it's down at this moment (should be up later)

Most of your KOs will be coming from your forward and backward aerials. Lots of things will lead into it, so you just have to learn how to lead into your KO moves =)

I'm not exactly a tournament player so I can't give too many tips other than showing you some good places to look.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I was bored and lamenting the lack of weekend updates, so I decided to add the new characters to the wallpaper I made a few weeks ago!

Here is the preview:
brawlwallpaper_preview.png

And here are some downloads:

1024x768 Version
1280x800 Widescreen Version
1280x1024 Version

Some aspects could be a little more polished, but I'm just doing this for fun and am too lazy to make it perfect. :)

Anyway... Enjoy!

Amir0x

Banned
man they're really making me wait for this fucking Ness unveil

it is probably going to be the last one they show! The text on the website will go 'ha ha, i bet Amir0x was pretty annoyed wasn't he?'

That bastard!

The Hermit

Amir0x said:

it is probably going to be the last one they show! The text on the website will go 'ha ha, i bet Amir0x was pretty annoyed wasn't he?'

That bastard!

:lol I would pay money to see your face if he becomes an assist trophy...

Seriously, I think they will have characters from Mother 3 this time.

Scribble

It'd be silly to not have a Mother 3 representation, since the choices they've made for some of the characters/stages reflect the latest installments of their franchises.

I wonder how attached America is to Ness (Both Mother fans and Smash Bros fans).

Amir0x

Banned
Scribble said:
It'd be silly to not have a Mother 3 representation, since the choices they've made for some of the characters/stages reflect the latest installments of their franchises.

I wonder how attached America is to Ness (Both Mother fans and Smash Bros fans).

what choices did they make for the character/stages? DID I MISS SOME EARTHBOUND STAGE UNVEIL?

Scribble

Amir0x said:
what choices did they make for the character/stages? DID I MISS SOME EARTHBOUND STAGE UNVEIL?

I'm talking about the FLUDD with Mario, the Twilight Princess Link/Zelda/Stage for LoZ, Rumble Falls for DK, and uh, maybe the SFC Fox look.

Didn't Mother 3 do very well in Japan? I can't see them missing out on the most recent installment of the franchise. I just hope that they employ some sort of alternate costume scheme for Ness/Lucas at the very least =X

Firestorm

Ness is pretty popular among Smash Bros fans I find. I think it has more to do with the fact that he was pretty fun to play as in SSB as most haven't even played Earthbound.

Teasel

Firestorm said:
A really general tip is to not be afraid to use the C-Stick. Falcon I think does better than Link against Fox/Falco and definitely better in general.

Learn about advanced techniques and how to do them by watching Wak's Tutorial Videos:
Advanced How to Play Part 1
Advanced How to Play Part 2
Advanced How to Play Part 3

And also read a good Falcon guide. There's probably a good one in the Captain Falcon forums on SmashBoards, but it's down at this moment (should be up later)

Most of your KOs will be coming from your forward and backward aerials. Lots of things will lead into it, so you just have to learn how to lead into your KO moves =)

I'm not exactly a tournament player so I can't give too many tips other than showing you some good places to look.
you know learning all that stuff look quite boring and it could be auto-implemented with a few tweak here and there (for example there wouldn't be no need to wawedash if dodging worked like that and no need to L-Cancel if there was no recovery time) i hope there won't be any of this in SSBB

I've never commented on Mario's FLUDD move before, so I guess I'll do it now...

I don't hate Fludd. I hate the idea of Mario using Fludd to fight.

Sunshine was a cool game but it was sort've a 'one-time-only' spinoff deal; "Mario goes on Vacation".

It would be like if they replaced Fox's Up+B with the staff from "Starfox: Dinosaur Planet". You know "That one obscure item that the hero used that one time to get himself out've that one obscure situation".

That's what Fludd/Starfox Staff/Luigi Vacuum/etc is to me.

IAWTP. Except the part about SMS being a cool game. I didn't care for it. Otherwise, I agree. Mario has a few moves that are relevant to almost all of his games, but FLUDD isn't one of them. I would much prefer if Mario's downB was... I don't know... maybe a spin attack or something. But now whenever I use Mario, I'll be reminded of SMS. >_>

NeonZ

Better an attack based on a specific game (like the cape and FLOOD) than an original move (Mario Tornado) for a character that has more than enough source material to avoid needing that kind of addition.

NeonZ said:
Better an attack based on a specific game (like the cape and FLOOD) than an original move (Mario Tornado) for a character that has more than enough source material to avoid needing that kind of addition.

I don't entirely agree. I really like seeing 'Smash only' attacks. It's like "This is what the characters do when they're forced to kick ass". But for those who like game references most...I don't know WHY they would get rid've Mario's Down+B (Mario Tornado) when it's his PRIMARY form of attack in the NEW Mario Sunshine game!

If they're going for game references, why did they gave Mario a supremely badass Final Smash that has NOTHING to do with any of his previous games and then color him goofy with FLUDD as his down+B. I just don't understand the logic. It's like they tried to go both ways with this one.

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:

That bastard!

They might not even reveal it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Amir0x said:
people who haven't played Earthbound creep me out

You, good sir, speak the truth. That goes double for people who have played Earthbound and, through some twisted prank of fate, didn't like it.

Is it so inconceivable that Mother could get two characters to its name? It may not be big outside of Japan except for a small cadre of devoted fans (of which I am a member), but it is very successful in Japan. And look at Fire Emblem. It got two characters in Melee (granted, one was a clone, but still) and it hadn't even seen a release outside of Japan prior to SSBM's release.

Ness AND Lucas in SSBB. Believe.

Iam Canadian

Also, the fact that Franklin Badge is the only Mother related aspect revealed is a horrible tease. I am convinced that Sakurai is mocking me personally. PLAY KEEP-AWAY WITH EARTHBOUND, WILL YOU?

EktorPR

SuperAngelo64 said:
I don't entirely agree. I really like seeing 'Smash only' attacks. It's like "This is what the characters do when they're forced to kick ass". But for those who like game references most...I don't know WHY they would get rid've Mario's Down+B (Mario Tornado) when it's his PRIMARY form of attack in the NEW Mario Sunshine game!

If they're going for game references, why did they gave Mario a supremely badass Final Smash that has NOTHING to do with any of his previous games and then color him goofy with FLUDD as his down+B. I just don't understand the logic. It's like they tried to go both ways with this one.

40521Dylanconfuse.gif

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Ness AND Lucas in SSBB. Believe.
I do believe, actually. But just for Amir0x (and you, to a lesser extent), this is how the updates will go:

August 10th - Item, Franklin Badge
Q: Why does it say MOTHER on this item?
A: Is there anything WRONG with having an item that says that?

Month of September - Assist trophy, Buzz Buzz or Starman Deluxe
Q: Why does this assist trophy have the same logo as the Franklin Badge?
A: It's from the same series... I think. Isn't it?

Month of October - Stage from Mother 3
Q: Was this game ever released outside Japan?
A: Isn't it a shame to know that it wasn't?

Month of November - Music, Pollyanna (I Believe In You)
Q: Why does she believe the morning sun is always gonna shine again and why does she believe a pot of gold waits at every rainbow's end?
A: Is there anything WRONG with believing in make-believe and fairy tales and lucky charms?

December 3rd - Ness and Lucas double reveal, plus both their final smashes, as a last megaton for the US release
Q: Why are they fighting in Smashville instead of [Mother 3 stage]?
A: A very MysterIous Reas0n. *winX*

Iam Canadian

I'm a bigger Mother fan than Amir0x is and I am prepared to defend that claim.

I really do wish that would be the case, Jiggy. Sakurai can sass me all he likes, but I'm happy as long as he inserts as much Earthbound material as time. space, and common sense will allow.

As cool as getting Pollyanna as a song for this game would be (again, since we had a remix of it in SSBM), the music for the first phase of the Giygas battle would be absolutely unbelievably awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom