• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Frozen Fire said:
Wow...... way to shut down all my hopes and dreams...... :D
He's pretty much correct, right down to the Pikachu comment. :( To be GOTY in the world of the critics, a game probably has to meet these four criteria: 1) it's in first-person, 2) it's on either 360 or PS3, 3) it has a strong single-player component, and 4) it's in 3D. Just the way the bias goes, it would seem.

Either that or I'm just seeing a bias that isn't there because I'm almost the antithesis of them. I prefer 2D gameplay, and even in the realm of 3D I very much prefer third-person. >_>

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jiggy37 said:
He's pretty much correct, right down to the Pikachu comment. :( To be GOTY in the world of the cirtics, a game probably has to meet these four criteria: 1) it's in first-person, 2) it's on either 360 or PS3, 3) it has a strong single-player component, and 4) it's in 3D. Just the way the bias goes, it would seem.

Either that or I'm just seeing a bias that isn't there because I'm almost the antithesis of them. I prefer 2D gameplay, and even in the realm of 3D I very much prefer third-person. >_>
Stop playing victim. If Mario Galaxy is great, it'll be right up there with Bioshock and Halo 3 for GotY consideration.

You're right though that a strong single-player campaign is a pretty important factor, although multiplayer can also pretty well-considered... if it's online. I don't know that Brawl will meet either criteria, unfortunately. If it does, though, it'll likely see a good amount play on GotY nomination lists.

Haunted

As long as it beats Melee's 90,0% review aggregate, it's all good. Galaxy/Bioshock/Halo are a lock for GOTY in the enthusiast press anyway.

Haunted One said:
As long as it beats Melee's 90,0% review aggregate, it's all good. Galaxy/Bioshock/Halo are a lock for GOTY in the enthusiast press anyway.
It won't. I predict high 80s for being too similar, no online play/broken online play, being a "fanwank".

Meanwhile, every fan of Melee will consider it to be the best game in the series and it will sell nine million copies LTD.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
It won't. I predict high 80s for being too similar, no online play/broken online play, being a "fanwank".

Meanwhile, every fan of Melee will consider it to be the best game in the series and it will sell nine million copies LTD.
oh, I can live with that. On the other hand, I can't fathom what would need to happen to have this game not become the best in the series at this point - so only the review scores are still up in the air. :D

even if it socres less than 90% on gamerankings or whatever, there's no doubt that it will still be the best of the Smash Bros franchise (unless something goes horribly wrong and every copy shipped is faulty and makes players start with one of those golden hammers, but they last forever); that's all that I care about really.

NEW CHARACTER: Nintendo 64 kid.

Hm. But actually. Tanooki suit item.

I can dream, right?

Imagine Mario with both the cape AND tanooki powers.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

Jiggy

Shig said:
Stop playing victim. If Mario Galaxy is great, it'll be right up there with Bioshock and Halo 3 for GotY consideration.

You're right though that a strong single-player campaign is a pretty important factor, although multiplayer can also pretty well-considered... if it's online. I don't know that Brawl will meet either criteria, unfortunately. If it does, though, it'll likely see a good amount play on GotY nomination lists.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting SSBB won't get in GOTY nomination lists, just that it has no shot at actually topping a majority of these lists. And I wasn't trying to imply anything about Mario Galaxy, incidentally; if it doesn't even get GOTY nominations in the first place, my reaction will be nil.

Regardless... When you brought up that game, you reminded me of another unwritten criterion I believe the critics have: a sequel (and especially not a sequel to a sequel) can't win GOTY honors unless the series has reinvented itself to the degree of, say, Resident Evil 4.
In actuality, I don't think Mario Galaxy or Halo 3 (or Smash) are going to generally take the top spots. Bioshock, sure, even Rock Band maybe, but whatever the case I just don't see most game sites voting for a sequel. I see too much general disillusionment with franchises that stay mostly the same. Improving in every way isn't good enough, and will generally earn a sequel the same score as its predecessor.

Haunted

Tanooki and Bee Suit should be alternate costumes instead of colour/palette swaps.

VultureDude said:
every copy shipped is faulty and makes players start with one of those golden hammers, but they last forever
... and even with that Brawl would be better than 98% of the games out there.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
How is it possible that we're just a couple months away from release, we have gobs and gobs of media surrounding the game, but somehow have absolutely 0 gameplay impressions from media outlets, aside from the interview Kojima gave saying that the game "could have been released now".

I know that the end product will be 100% unadulterated awesome, but could we pretty please get some hands-on impressions just to further taunt us?

GamerSoul

Haunted One said:
Running joke that Sheik won't return in Brawl.

OH, I thought you were one of the serious non-believers.:lol

I cannot picture Zelda being a standalone character, she needs Sheik's Sheikness. If Zelda ends up alone then she needs an overhaul to balance her moveset.

Firestorm

JohnTinker said:
How is it possible that we're just a couple months away from release, we have gobs and gobs of media surrounding the game, but somehow have absolutely 0 gameplay impressions from media outlets, aside from the interview Kojima gave saying that the game "could have been released now".

I know that the end product will be 100% unadulterated awesome, but could we pretty please get some hands-on impressions just to further taunt us?

My problem with it is that hands-on impressions will be probably be pretty useless from the mainstream press. "Yeah the game is turning out fine and nintendo fans will be greatly pleased when they can beat up Pikachu this holiday season!" or some crap. If they let players who actually care play the game, then that'd be great.

Firestorm said:
My problem with it is that hands-on impressions will be probably be pretty useless from the mainstream press. "Yeah the game is turning out fine and nintendo fans will be greatly pleased when they can beat up Pikachu this holiday season!" or some crap. If they let players who actually care play the game, then that'd be great.
Good thing this game is being made by SSB enthusiasts. :D

Jiggy

JohnTinker said:

What more do you need than that? :D

But seriously, I agree with Firestorm. Actually, I'd go even further. Impressions in general are pretty pointless--all too often you'll see critics hyping a game to heaven and then trashing it once it's out. Not saying that would happen to Smash, but just that hands-on impressions are almost always positive unless the game is outright horrible. We probably wouldn't learn much from them.

Haunted

GamerSoul said:
OH, I thought you were one of the serious non-believers.:lol

I cannot picture Zelda being a standalone character, she needs Sheik's Sheikness. If Zelda ends up alone then she needs an overhaul to balance her moveset.
Oh, you thought correctly - I don't think she'll return. :D

If Sheik does appear, though, it won't be as Zelda's transformation, but a standalone character. The need for revamped movesets are not a hindrance, Sakurai'll change what's necessary to get balanced characters into the game.

Haunted

Greenpanda said:
heck, if I just keep guessing Final Smash as the next update, I'll be right eventually :p
oh man, that's what I thought. :/

Made the same prediction for like two weeks straight and the fucker never turned up.

emot-argh.gif

Jiggy

I predict (seriously this time) a non-double update, because if it was a double update then it would be both the 100th and 101st--

...Wait, no. The first update was three at once...

Okay. I predict a triple update: Wario's final smash, the new Mute City stage, and the second boss. The second boss will be some kind of henchman of the Subspace Army who isn't defeated the first time you fight it.

Firestorm

Firestorm said:
Oh good. Then I call it.

I predict the five banana peels item.

Then in the text it'll say "Actually, this is the second Smash Bros. Dojo update for today" and you scroll down from the 101st update to the 100th update to find an explanation of the different online modes.
And it'll also have blurred silhouettes of Lip, Lucas, Ridley, King Dedede, and Black Shadow, prompting 40+ pages of speculation before 1:50 AM Pacific.

:D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
JohnTinker said:

Why? I mean, do you need them? From experience I can tell you that developers do not look at previews like, ever. In order to see what people like and dislike during the production process we rely on three things: Our own testing, big wigs of the company playing it at certain intervals and focused tests with people signed with NDA's so they cant talk about it anyways.

Plus, its Nintendo, secrecy is their M.O. anyways and like its been said before, most previews of the game would be worthless for people like us, we would need an expert in Smash to be able to appreciate the differences. Obviously the game has had a pretty good development process since it seems to have tons of content and no delays, none of those DNF or even Metroid Prime (!) development ordeals.

Although an Assist Trophy of Miyamoto upending the tea table would be THE BEST THING EVER.

Haunted

I'm feeling a megaton for the 100th update.

Something we've never seen or heard before - an all-new singleplayer level for the Subspace Emissary will be unveiled.

... that, or the Platinum Hammer item.

Haunted

So... besides a new (3rd party!) character unveiling.... what possible megatons does Sakurai have left?

1) Online vs play confirmed
2) Mii support
3) Event mode (not a true megaton)

Haunted One said:
So... besides a new (3rd party!) character unveiling.... what possible megatons does Sakurai have left.

1) Online vs play confirmed
2) Mii support
3) Event mode (not a true megaton)

4) Alternate costumes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom