• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

OliveJuice said:
I thought it was a company in which Sakurai employed people to work under him, and I was asking if those people are working on Brawl. However, if hes the only member then never mind. :lol

Yeah I've always been kinda confused with how Sora is set up.

Post 20,000!

AniHawk

20k posts just for a SSBB announcement thread? Wow.

And still no Mother characters.

6co8u41.jpg

The Halo 3 thread will beat this thread next week

Frozen Fire said:
You don't have to ridicule somebody because of their opinon. If you don't agree, thats fine with me.
I normally agree with this, but how do you think it is ok to make up excuses for Nintendo to have Online in their game without incorporating the basic features of online? No, no no. Voice chat isn't in there because Nintendo can't get their online shit together, it's not there because it was a design decision and it could become bothersome.

If you believe that bullshit, how do you expect me not to ridicule you.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sakurai made Sora before Nintendo approached him at E3 05 to make the game, we still don't know exactly which developer he is making the game with.

MrCheez said:
Let's get into some speculation, shall we? (Hopefully some of my ideas weren't already mentioned... I had to skim most of todays posts while at work.)

wi-fi01_070918c-l.jpg

Now.. do we think this is a screenshot of the actual FINISHED menu from the game (before the player has unlocked anything), or is this a dev-screen specifically altered for the website?

What I am getting at specifically is how the character icons are grouped together in the middle, and obviously only characters that have been revealed already are shown. Does this mean that we're looking at the entire starting roster here (and should expect no more new character updates before the game's release), or does it mean that Sakurai just had the last few (unrevealed) characters of the starting roster removed from the menu just for this update?

(Also, if it means the former... would it mean Sheik really is gone? Notice how ZSS and the PT's pokemon are given their own icons...)

Edit: I still think we are due for 2-3 more starters (such as Captain Falcon), btw, so I am sure this screenshot was altered for the site. I'd be surprised at any other outcome... it's interesting to speculate though.

Another thing I noticed... the Miis that are selectable as icons have a different background color that separates them from the playable character icons. Does this mean we won't see a playable "Mii Fighter"? Not necessarily, but it seems to lower the chances of one to me.

OH one last thing about this screen.. See the "PROFILE" heading at the bottom? Do you think this menu has further customization options beyond your avatar and your four taunts? Or maybe some stats on the right side?

wi-fi01_070918f-l.jpg

Player 3 is selecting the stage... does this mean he is the host and the host chooses the mode/stage, or might it be a system like Mario Kart DS where all players get to vote for the stage? Hmm!

OK most of my speculation is rather obvious and isn't actually all that insightful... but I felt like pointing out some tiny details I noticed anyway. :)

I think he removed some of the characters to not spoil it. I don't think why CF or Shiek wouldn't be in there.

ant1532

Banned
AniHawk said:

If they want war, we'll give em war.

Halo_Wars.gif

Come on Sakurai, announce some crazy shit!

Dr.Hadji

Can anyone tell me why we're blaming Brawl for the lack of mic support? Sakurai and team can only work within what they're given. The game can only do so much.

epmode

Dr.Hadji said:
Can anyone tell me why we're blaming Brawl for the lack of mic support? Sakurai and team can only work within what they're given. The game can only do so much.
Nintendo released a mic for the DS, for god's sake. They can manage a Wii version for their biggest online title, well, ever.

jrricky

Banned
OMFG. Just got in from work and saw the great news. Well, time to start stacking up my room with food for I wont be leaving it come december.:D

P.S. : Get ready to taste my awesome power GAF.:D

Kreed

MrCheez said:
Now.. do we think this is a screenshot of the actual FINISHED menu from the game (before the player has unlocked anything), or is this a dev-screen specifically altered for the website?

What I am getting at specifically is how the character icons are grouped together in the middle, and obviously only characters that have been revealed already are shown. Does this mean that we're looking at the entire starting roster here (and should expect no more new character updates before the game's release), or does it mean that Sakurai just had the last few (unrevealed) characters of the starting roster removed from the menu just for this update?

(Also, if it means the former... would it mean Sheik really is gone? Notice how ZSS and the PT's pokemon are given their own icons...)

I asked about this earlier but it got buried in the online excitement. Do we have any evidence of previous screen shots on the site that we now know had to have been "altered" to hide information?

But if this is the full starting roster, I don't think it means Sheik is gone. It just points more towards the theory of Sheik being separate from Zelda (with Mario getting Fludd, this is even more of a possibility).

AniHawk said:

And still no Mother characters.

this thread has been open for a while now, the Halo 3 thread will break gaf all together and assimilate other threads. Believe.

Firestorm said:
Nobody said "completely gimped" though.

Haha, I actually did say "completely gimping gameplay". And I meant it. Because, to me, playing single-player modes without c-stick support feels COMPLETE and utterly gimped. I lose probably 50% of my air game. (Firestorm man, you know it's true :lol ) And c'mon, Tathanen-- using the c-stick to control and position your aerial attacks ain't exactly super-advanced. It's pretty basic, IMO. All the casual items players I know use it and love it.

I probably shouldn't have opened my mouth, but hey, we haven't had this argument for at least 50 pages, so why not kill some time until tonight's update.:lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Firestorm said:
Nobody said "completely gimped" though.

Uh, "...it DOES, however, lack a second analog stick, completely gimping gameplay. Inferior control scheme confirmed" is what I was addressing. Seems like it was indeed said!

And no, its pretty hard to competitively play without l-cancelling or teching. I don't see how it's possible to do well on an advanced level if you just stay on the ground after getting hit and take ages to get up. Or if you lag after every aerial attack so you get hit more. It's fine for playing with friends, but if you're trying to do great against other great players, you gotta step it up. Just because you win in a GameStop tournament doesn't make you good.

Again, things like THAT I am not attacking. I don't really consider l-canceling or teching to be "advanced" moves. They're just what anyone progressing through the game will end up using more and more. The things I'm talking about are people shuffling, or constantly using Fox's bullshit, or wavedashing all over the place. Things that are exploitations of the game's mechanics, not actual moves put in there by design. I don't personally think the C-Stick was actually INTENDED to offer functionality outside of what the other buttons can do.

Now thing I don't get is where you said the game needs to be limited due to the GCN controller. What we're saying is it shouldn't be limited by the WiiMote + Nunchuck. The GCN controller limits nothing. It has more buttons in useable positions than the WiiMote + Nunchuck. Giving GCN controller users the options that are available to them isn't limiting, it's the opposite.

All I'm saying is that it's silly to expect that everything from SSBM will still be around in SSBB. It's unfair to make any critique of the controllers until we actually know what's coming back. Things like teching and canceling, sure, they're real functions and should return. But I think it's silly to demand the same glitches or exploitations, regardless of whether or not people use them to their advantage.

You do need to be pointed there if you talk about them though. If you don't argue about them then there's no pointing as the subject won't come up ;)

Noooo thank you. Look how fired up I get just talking to their PROXIES. I don't need this kind of stress!

Tathanen said:
I don't personally think the C-Stick was actually INTENDED to offer functionality outside of what the other buttons can do.

What they offer is the ability to control which aerial attack you're doing (up, down, front, back) while independently controlling your character's movement in the air (directing your character forward or backward, or falling at the desired speed). I do think this was intended.

You must know some crazy c-stick functions that I don't.

ant1532 said:
If they want war, we'll give em war.

Halo_Wars.gif

Come on Sakurai, announce some crazy shit!

:lol

There's no way they can surpass us. We have a least twice as many posts
Oh my god I just jinxed us. I shouldn't have said anything....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
WastingPenguins said:
What they offer is the ability to control which aerial attack you're doing (up, down, front, back) while independently controlling your character's movement in the air (directing your character forward or backward, or falling at the desired speed). I do think this was intended.

You must know some crazy c-stick functions that I don't.

Nah, I don't think that was intended. I mean, yeah it's indented that they made the particular air attacks happen, but I don't think they consciously intended for it to be a way to do those moves independently of character movement. It just happened to work out that way.

Firestorm

Well, you talk about shffling and stuff as if they were exploits. If you're okay with l-cancelling and short hopping, you should be okay with shffling.

Short
Hop
Fast
Fall
L-cancel

All it means is that you're jumping low, doing an attack, falling down as fast as possible and l-cancelling to remove the lag. Just combining some different techniques to attack as efficiently as possible.

Fox's bullshit.. Well, I think that being able to cancel his shine with a jump was intended. I don't see how they might have done that as a glitch?

Wavedashing isn't something I would say was fully intended, but something tells me they must have come across it in testing. I mean, are you telling me they never once air-dodged into the ground to test if any issues would arise? Obviously they did. You hit the ground, vertical velocity transfers to horizontal velocity, you slide a distance calculated using the character's traction and ground's friction. Just like what would happen in real life if you got a low powered jet pack and shot down diagonally.

Anyway, I don't believe it's a big deal to expect a similar game to Melee. SSBM was similar to SSB64 after all. Some things changed, but it was still very very similar. Melee built on SSB64 and I think Brawl will build on SSBM.

Tathanen said:
Nah, I don't think that was intended. I mean, yeah it's indented that they made the particular air attacks happen, but I don't think they consciously intended for it to be a way to do those moves independently of character movement. It just happened to work out that way.

Why does that matter? Seriously. All it is is a macro. It helps you play better. I dont think theyre annoyed by people finding new things to do with the tools offered. If you could even count it as new.

Tathanen said:

You apparently don't think that developer's know very much about the game engines they spend months and years slaving over.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Firestorm said:
Why does that matter? Seriously. All it is is a macro. It helps you play better. I dont think theyre annoyed by people finding new things to do with the tools offered. If you could even count it as new.

I'm just saying that's why I don't think it's high on the list for returning functions.

And for the record, I clearly have my terms messed up. That's not what I was referring to when I said shffl. I meant when people run back and forth in a single spot so they can shoot out of it without having to worry about the acceleration of running from a stop. Sure, it works, but... the game wasn't meant to be played that way.

AniHawk said:
Requesting that someone create a picture involving Ness kicking someone into a very deep hole.

Anyway, I'd think they'll have voice chat eventually. I have no reason to say this except that I think Nintendo likes money, and selling a $40 microphone peripheral packaged along with WiiSing is a no brainer. So the question becomes, is it on the radar now/will it make it into SSBB?

SantaC

AniHawk said:
50k posts and 3m views.

True. Unless Sakurai reveal sonic or any other cool character soon, Halo3 wil beat it soon.

We have a least twice as many posts

umm halo3 thread started like 10 days ago while smash bros thread is a couple of months old.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
ShockingAlberto said:
Because in Halo 3, people will use voice chat to express their thoughts.

You mean Halo 2 HD?

Oooooh shit I said it.

But hey wait, so are we comparing the Online options of Halo with the ones in Smash? Different strokes for different folks people, not everything has to be the same as one game. At least on Smash no homophobe stranger is gonna call me every swear in the whole dictionary for no good reason.

Nintendo takes a cautionary approach to Online because thats how Online games work in Japan, they do not like how Online games work in the West, its too confrontational and it intimidates them. The way Nintendo deals with Online, its more friendly for their target Japanese audience, cause we all know Nintendo cares more about the Japanese than anyone else, and their actions prove it ... I mean hell just look at Wi-Fi play, thats not catered towards exuberant Americans that will give you their opinion towards you want it or not, its geared towards people that would rather be more reserved.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MrCheez said:
Let's get into some speculation, shall we? (Hopefully some of my ideas weren't already mentioned... I had to skim most of todays posts while at work.)

wi-fi01_070918c-l.jpg

Edit: I still think we are due for 2-3 more starters (such as Captain Falcon), btw, so I am sure this screenshot was altered for the site. I'd be surprised at any other outcome... it's interesting to speculate though.

Another thing I noticed... the Miis that are selectable as icons have a different background color that separates them from the playable character icons. Does this mean we won't see a playable "Mii Fighter"? Not necessarily, but it seems to lower the chances of one to me.

OH one last thing about this screen.. See the "PROFILE" heading at the bottom? Do you think this menu has further customization options beyond your avatar and your four taunts? Or maybe some stats on the right side?

wi-fi01_070918f-l.jpg

Player 3 is selecting the stage... does this mean he is the host and the host chooses the mode/stage, or might it be a system like Mario Kart DS where all players get to vote for the stage? Hmm!

OK most of my speculation is rather obvious and isn't actually all that insightful... but I felt like pointing out some tiny details I noticed anyway. :)

Dude, in the pre-Melee media, they edited Zelda out of the character select screen and put in a Sheik photo in her place, and, when they released the intro CG to Melee on the site, they edited out the part that contained Zelda. Don't assume you know everything about any part of this game before release.

For all we know, there could be 30 more characters in the game, 5 new big gameplay mechanics that they haven't revealed yet, and 3 new single player modes.

Ashodin

GaimeGuy said:
Dude, in the pre-Melee media, they edited Zelda out of the character select screen and put in a Sheik photo in her place, and, when they released the intro CG to Melee on the site, they edited out the part that contained Zelda. Don't assume you know everything about any part of this game before release.

For all we know, there could be 30 more characters in the game, 5 new big gameplay mechanics that they haven't revealed yet, and 3 new single player modes.
GaimeGuy, ever vigilant watcher of the nonexistant :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
GaimeGuy said:

And a mode were you attack people with voice commands, like that DS game.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Duderz said:
How many more starter characters from previous games still haven't been revealed? Just Ness & Capt. Falcon?
Ganondorf
Marth
Roy
Young Link
Luigi
Dr. Mario
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Game and Watch
Pichu

Duderz

Banned
Ike said:
Ganondorf
Marth
Roy
Young Link
Luigi
Dr. Mario
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Game and Watch
Pichu

No no, I meant the characters you start with in Melee. And it looks like just Capt. Falcon and Ness.

I'm going on a limb that these will be the next two revealed characters we get, and everyone else will be on this list. *shrug*

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
GaimeGuy said:
Don't assume you know everything about any part of this game before release.

I'm not making any assumptions, I was trying to create some discussion about open speculation (and I was also presenting more than one theory, one of which agreed with your point).

We still have a long way to go before the game comes out (unfortunately). Speculation is but one way to pass the time. :p

Jiggy

For tonight I predict Zero Suit Samus' special moves. Gotta follow up on the megaton with something relatively tame...

Edit: For comparison's sake:
The day after The Musicians: Mario and Link profiles
The day after Four Types of Control: Fox profile
The day after assist trophies: Bowser profile
The day after Subspace Emissary: Smoke Ball
The day after My Music: Munchlax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom