• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

kswiston

I sincerely doubt the iOS version did well enough to warrant a sequel either.

I'd hazard a guess that you can get an idea of how successful a S-E title was on iOS from whether or not it received an Android port. Especially for a F2P title that wouldn't have the "Android players don't pay for games" consideration. All of The main Final Fantasy titles are out on Android. All the Bravest even got a JP Android port. Theatrhythm didn't get anything.

Daigr

Probably mobile.

It would be nice if it was just the dlc songs plus FFXIV:ARR since they didn't include any songs from 1.0. Maybe some more tracks for FFXV.

Kikujiro

I'd hazard a guess that you can get an idea of how successful a S-E title was on iOS from whether or not it received an Android port. Especially for a F2P title that wouldn't have the "Android players don't pay for games" consideration. All of The main Final Fantasy titles are out on Android. All the Bravest even got a JP Android port. Theatrhythm didn't get anything.

The pricing of the game was pretty stupid.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They still haven't abandoned handhelds completely. Dragon Quest VII remake did really well and they have that Bravely Default "Final Mix" version coming with a sequel possibly following that.

No reason why this couldn't be a 3DS release. As I already said a mobile release would be quite redundant due to mobiles already having the most content rich version, not to even mention Theatrhythm's mobile release model (base trial/demo for free with a few songs, rest as DLC) doesn't really make any kind of "complete" release sound likely (if they have new songs, they could just release them as DLC). This sounds like some kind of Complete/GOTY version and that kind of release sounds way more like something an actual gaming device would get (like the Angry Birds Trilogy & Angry Birds Star Wars releases for consoles & handhelds that clump some mobile content into a single bigger retail release for those platforms) than something released for mobiles.

It's a possible one, sure, even somewhat probable, but 3DS has found its stride in Japan and after Animal Crossing & Pokemon, it'll be an even healthier platform. I just find saying "no, this is definitely not a 3DS/non-mobile game" a bit premature, even in this world of Square Enix gone mobile/browser game craycray.
Since TGS 2011 Square Enix has announced a grand total of the following for 3DS:

1.) Dragon Quest games.
2.) The international version of Theatrhythm releasing back in Japan (this game is notably both developed and directed externally).

This is not a DQ title nor 100% extral, ergo mobile game.

All I wanted was Theatrhythm with updated music. Yes, I love the classic NES/SNES/PS1 themes... but I don't think a single person would have complained with remixes. Hell, cover both bases and release with both.

Jacobbles

GOTY edition on Vita with trophies and more songs/characters would be so awesome.

But that would require a little effort on S-E's part so of course that won't happen.

Edit: Oh and it wouldn't get localised, either.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's probably an iOS/Android/Vita game. And then Square will be done with Vita support and maybe pity it and throw on FFX/X-2 HD as planned. And then call it a day.

pariah164

If this is the entire game with the DLC included? I may pick it up. If it's the entire game with DLC included and all the characters from the iOS version? I am definitely getting it.

As long as it's on a console I own.

They still haven't abandoned handhelds completely.

Have you not followed, like, any of the news threads about Square-Enix in the last three months?

Putting aside Dragon Quest specifically (which is largely managed as a separate brand that isn't directly affected by the company's overall strategic direction), the last new 3DS game they announced was in 2011. Just look at the lineup on this page: one internally-developed console title; one foreign console game they're publishing in Japan; one re-release of a two-year-old, externally-developed handheld title; two MMOs; three browser games; four mobile titles. This is not a company that is investing more money into the handheld marketplace.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hate is strong in this thread.... This game will be on 3DS.

Kouriozan

I'd buy a version with all DLC, didn't buy the 3DS/iOS one because there is way too much DLC for me and I hate having an incomplete game >.<

Sandfox

I really don't understand why people would want an SE mobile title...

Have you not followed, like, any of the news threads about Square-Enix in the last three months?

Putting aside Dragon Quest specifically (which is largely managed as a separate brand that isn't directly affected by the company's overall strategic direction), the last new 3DS game they announced was in 2011. Just look at the lineup on this page: one internally-developed console title; one foreign console game they're publishing in Japan; one re-release of a two-year-old, externally-developed handheld title; two MMOs; three browser games; four mobile titles. This is not a company that is investing more money into the handheld marketplace.

Its not going to be like the DS but I'm sure they'll probably have a handheld title occasionally.

cw_sasuke

Tempered/realistic expectations is hate now?

Expecting it to be on iOS is fine - which is the case for many SE titles these days. But jumping on everyone who suggest everything else is unnecessary...especially since this will be on 3DS (too).

What makes you think BD2 will be on 3DS?

Mmh... I'd say he might expect one, since they release a "For The Sequel" version on 3DS... which includes elements from the sequel... which according to Square-Enix is kinda a huge demo for the sequel... :p

But hey, he could be wrong too. I wouldn't be surprised if Square Enix pulled some huge troll by releasing it somewhere else but not 3DS :p

SoulUnison

Banned
I just want Theatrhythm to get an eShop release!

It's like the very epitome of a pick-up-and-play-on-impulse game. To the point that I want it on my SD card so I can launch it and go back to something else on a whim, instead of having to commit to having its cartridge in my 3DS>

duckroll

What makes you think BD2 will be on 3DS?

Well they just confirmed that BD:FTS is intended for the Japanese audience to be able to get in on the original and enjoy the various system and design improvements (along with other stuff) before the sequel is released. I think that one is a given. :p

Probably the last 3DS game S-E will work on though.

cw_sasuke

Are you really certain about that? :)

No i am no insider, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was on 3DS as well.
For what it is it sold quite okay on the 3DS - the Userbase will get another big boost after this holiday season and they have the engine and all ready for the 3DS - not talking about exclusives but if its GotY Edition type re-release like they are doing with Bravely Default or FFs International Version i dont see why it would skip the plattform.

...and if it skips 3DS, they really should put the original one on the eShop - finding a retail copy is getting more and more difficult. Whats up with that ?

Sandfox

...and if it skips 3DS, they really should put the original one on the eShop - finding a retail copy is getting more and more difficult. Whats up with that ?
What if this just turns out to be the iOS version brought to the eShop and possibly the Vita...

Well they just confirmed that BD:FTS is intended for the Japanese audience to be able to get in on the original and enjoy the various system and design improvements (along with other stuff) before the sequel is released. I think that one is a given. :p

Probably the last 3DS game S-E will work on though.

We just have to believe that it will find a way to outsell FF and KH lol.

What I'm wondering is that if Square-Enix lost money on 3DS... or just hasn't made enough money on 3DS (according to them).

I think its just the fact that mobile is extremely profitable and cheap for them to do since all they do is released ports at high prices.

Top Bottom