• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So you're calling other people trolls and haters simply because you don't agree with their opinion. Right. That's bad, don't do that.

When did i call people trolls ? "Hate is strong in this one" is just an expressions, didnt knew it was wrong to state a fact after all the majority of this thread seems to be very certain that it will be on iOS/Android and not on 3DS.

Guess i`ll wait for further announcements, we will see what happens :)

What if this just turns out to be the iOS version brought to the eShop and possibly the Vita...

Would be fine by me - there are a couple of iOS exclusive tracks that need would justify a new version imo.

Famassu

Have you not followed, like, any of the news threads about Square-Enix in the last three months?

Putting aside Dragon Quest specifically (which is largely managed as a separate brand that isn't directly affected by the company's overall strategic direction), the last new 3DS game they announced was in 2011. Just look at the lineup on this page: one internally-developed console title; one foreign console game they're publishing in Japan; one re-release of a two-year-old, externally-developed handheld title; two MMOs; three browser games; four mobile titles. This is not a company that is investing more money into the handheld marketplace.
And yet we've still got Bravely Default:FTS and a possible Bravely Default 2 coming for 3DS and, yes, had a big DQ release this year (it's still a 3DS game from SQEX to 3DS). So... like I said, they haven't completely abandoned handhelds. Almost, yes, but not completely.

As I said, I'm not expecting this to DEFINITELY be a 3DS release, but especially if the impression that the name gives of the game's nature is true (i.e. a Complete Edition re-release, which simply doesn't make that much sense on mobiles given their Theatrhythm iOS release model which is highly dependent on selling DLC, not some huge selection of songs in one package), I'm just saying that ruling it out completely is silly. Theatrhythm is ALREADY on iOS. Re-releasing it with a few new songs or something just doesn't seem likely from what I've followed iOS/mobile gaming. This kind of a (possible) re-release makes much more sense on a handheld which 1) has sold a fuckton more units after the original game's release so there might be some potential to selling to new customers and 2) probably has tons of people who bought Theatrhythm but didn't bother buying any DLC who might be up for a budget re-release with some of that DLC included.

Since TGS 2011 Square Enix has announced a grand total of the following for 3DS:

1.) Dragon Quest games.
2.) The international version of Theatrhythm releasing back in Japan (this game is notably both developed and directed externally).

This is not a DQ title nor 100% extral, ergo mobile game.
Umm.. Theatrhythm isn't completely handled externally. Tetsuya Nomura was the creative director for the project. And just because there has been no announcements recently doesn't necessarily mean there will never ever be anything again, situations change (PSP being a perfect example, being in trouble after a stellar launch, then being saved by Monster Hunter and SQEX becoming one of its biggest 3rd party supporters during its latter years). As I pointed out, 3DS has found its stride in Japan (Animal Crossing & Dragon Quest VII 3DS sold gangbusters, Pokemon is coming soon), which might make Square Enix reasses their stance on handheld gaming, especially after the Dragon Quest VII went on to sell over a million copies. I'm not saying Square Enix is going back to DS/PSP days of releasing several handheld titles per year, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that they might release a game (other than Dragon Quest) here & there for at least 3DS, which is doing somewhat well worldwide. They might test the waters (of re-entering the 3DS stage) a bit with their Bravely Default sequel-funding re-release and perhaps with a Theatrhythm Complete Edition, if that's what Curtain Call is.

Thoraxes

Well, maybe the new iPhone is gonna have a disc addon when they announce it in a week or so.

Or maybe CDs with pack in DLC codes for the songs to play in the game if you purchase a disc.

Top Bottom