• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

AnnTiPa

That random generation better be like Diablo and not completely random. Basically, distinct areas that are randomly generated, each with their own type of environmental stuff.

This feels like a similar move Sony made last Gen. Resulted in a fantastic game with a now huge legacy. Demons Souls. If this has the same impact, Ill be pleased. It looks fucking great.

Though this is a third party published game, snatching it up as an exclusive was fucking smart of Sony. Maybe they didn't want to make the mistake they made with moving on from the Souls series too abruptly.

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong though. Still, I can't help but feel excited as all hell.

UrbanRats

I don't mind the generator stuff, could provide some thrills.
However the Animus crap bums me out, it removes you from the experience, every time is used in AC.

Hindle

Banned
This looks to be Sonys unofficial Demons Souls sequel. The game should fill the place where Demons Souls 2 would have been.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
It's not free to play, so obviously yes. PS+ is required for all standard online play. Only certain F2P titles can be played without it (which makes sense, because they're free).

Good, let the paywall cripple its gamer base, I don't care.

I don't like randomly generated, I don't like the futuristic setting, I don't like the fact that Sony's studio are working on this instead of Demon's Souls 2, I don't like Assassins Creed, I don't like online only.

Taiser

444gf5gzj80.gif

Sony on the other hand has been announcing new games at every major event. Now they have a lot more games announced with a lot more variety. People should not have underestimated them. It's Sony after all. Someone should compile a list of all ps4 games cause its pretty damn impressive. I hope most of the Japanese games come to the west.

Was that a different Deep Down at the PS4 reveal?

Good, let the paywall cripple its gamer base, I don't care.

I don't like randomly generated, I don't like the futuristic setting, I don't like the fact that Sony's studio are working on this instead of Demon's Souls 2, I don't like Assassins Creed, I don't like online only.
lol...if it's good, people will play it though right?

The same can be applied to something like Destiny, yet, it has a very high chance of people 1# paying Sony for PS+ for a year to jump into the online mode, and 2# buying Destiny because it looks appealing.

When you really think about how many hours people play stuff like COD MP or SF4 MP, online-only doesn't seem to be that big of a deal anymore. And it's clearly dedicated to MP-gamers.

I think people should look at the trend as a good thing. It should help developers focus there efforts more on what they are good at by releasing online-only titles that cater to certain users, while developers who just want to deliver a great story experience can focus on that and not have to shoe-horn a MP aspect in.

The dungeon stuff looks cool btu randomly generated maps are never better than well designed ones. For replay value I guess it makes sense to experience things differently with friends every time

The story and concept is dumb as shit. Enough with this Animus/Matrix crap. Also the dialogue in the trailer was way too melodramatic and gives me an indication of how cheesy the story will be

Visuals for the most part were a let down but some effects like the fire and lighting are still really nice at times

Online only stuck behind the PS+ paywall is BS

Burt

Looks spectacular. And unlike Watch_Dogs, looks like it might actually be worth the always online hassle.

We still know very little of what this game will be like. I think you're getting ahead yourself a bit.

The story of Deep Down since the beginning.

I'm not sure what to think of it. On one hand, I don't put much time online (mostly due to I still have no idea about NAT settings) and I've never played Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter. On the other, it's an interesting direction for Capcom and still looks graphically impressive with the models and effects.

It's still a ways out though, so I'll hold judgement until then.

Rezbit

Love the idea of a randomised dungeon crawler with hot graphics. Not sure what the online only is about, are you always in a party? Have no problem if that's the case, if you're playing by yourself and it's online only that's pretty damn lame.

Also, the story sounds stupid as fuck and like an Assassin's Creed ripoff, but if the gameplay is fun I won't care too much.

KidBeta

Ok I thought this was a multi early on. After this conference it changes everything. Before people thought Xbox had more games cause they blew their load all at once at E3.

Sony on the other hand has been announcing new games at every major event. Now they have a lot more games announced with a lot more variety. People should not have underestimated them. It's Sony after all. Someone should compile a list of all ps4 games cause its pretty damn impressive. I hope most of the Japanese games come to the west.

Wikipedia is doing a pretty good job :) [dont know how accurate it is]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

125 in total

Yes, I approve of both exclusives. Give unto Sony what is Sony's and give unto Microsoft what is Microsoft's. The last thing we want is two mirror consoles with all the same games on them.

Exactly. I LOVE exclusives since they take advantage of the hardware more than a lot of third party garbage. This game would possibly bomb on a MS console and would likely be changed a bit to appeal more to that audience, and that's bad. Getting a nice, good looking console exclusive is always better to me.

JudgeN

Looks good except the combat looked alittle sloppy animation wise compared to Soul series. After dragon dogma I wouldn't think it would be a problem but maybe they can clean it up.

Coiote

I don't have a problem with online only if the game is built from the ground up for multiplayer, which might be this game's case. This way, they can balance the game right.

I am will be getting a lot of flak for this, but I just don't understand why people are disappointed by this game not being a simple copy and paste of Dark Souls. Dark Souls turned into a easy game in multiplayer, diminishing my enjoyment of the game. The "handcrafted" Dungeons from Dark Souls were also hardly perfect, or did people already forget Anor Londo, Lost Izalith and Crystal Cave?

I for one am glad that Deep Down is trying different things. I will have my Dark Souls for the isolation and atmosphere and I am hoping for a fun and challenging online experience in ramdomized(always surprising) dungeons with Deep Down. I am expecting Capcom to ruin the game with Microtransactions though.

Doesnt look anywhere close the the tech demo reveal of the engine. Not sure how anyone that saw the animations and effects in that tech demo reveal would believe Capcom when they said it was actual gameplay .... but I guess we have people falling for it every gen and they never learn.

Still looks damn good though. But I dont like the story already. It will be the same thing for me as the dumb ass Assasins Creed games. How can I be immersed in the atmosphere of the game when I'm just going to get pulled back out into a modern setting? It ruins Assassins Creed games for me. Will this game have arbitrary "memory walls" too? Such an amazing looking game and I feel like it's being ruined already. I hope they didnt go with this convoluted story just to make themselves different from the Souls series.

Was that a different Deep Down at the PS4 reveal?
It was never mentioned that its exclusive during ps meeting. Now we know. As for new announcemets, for this event there was a lot, yakuza, lily, gundam, etc. I thought Japan wasn't going to support ps4 until much later in 2014 cause we got nothing from them, but this was a great surprise. I hope they add some subtitles at the very least if some games are local. It's very easy to do and we can just download digitally, they have so much to gain that way at no risk.

IvorB

Exactly. I LOVE exclusives since they take advantage of the hardware more than a lot of third party garbage. This game would possibly bomb on a MS console and would likely be changed a bit to appeal more to that audience, and that's bad. Getting a nice, good looking console exclusive is always better to me.

Exactly. I would happily miss out on some games I would potentially like if it meant the games I did get were tailored to my machine. I hate this multiplatform junk they churn out these days.

Randomized play spaces, online only? Those two things together don't seem like very good signs to me thus far.

Going to come down to what it looks and plays like once I get an even better video of the game in action, but for now it's iffy. It also seems like it could look good visually, but I don't know how anyone can possibly judge from the quality of that stream whether or not it matches the reveal.

Barring a pleasant surprise with better footage, I'm leaning towards giving this one a miss. It seemed a lot more interesting when I thought there was a chance of this one having some type of singleplayer.

SenjutsuSage not approving of a Playstation title?? Say it ain't so!

Rad-

This game just keeps sounding less and less interesting as time goes by. And it was my most anticipated next gen title when it was first announced.

Top Bottom