• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

knicks

So is there going to be like new cards or something added throughout its life cycle? Or are the cards only playable with the ones included in the package? Would suck to have to go to the store just to buy a pack of cards for a game. Would also suck paying like 4 dollars for endless amount of packs for good cards. Hopefully they figure a cheap a good way to support the game.

Kariido

Banned
knicks said:
So is there going to be like new cards or something added throughout its life cycle?Obviously, different booster packs and new decks will be added. Or are the cards only playable with the ones included in the package?Nope. Other cards that you buy are playable. Would suck to have to go to the store just to buy a pack of cards for a game. Would also suck paying like 4 dollars for endless amount of packs for good cards.Well like any card game- you generally do that. Hopefully they figure a cheap a good way to support the game.Well when you buy the actual PS3 game it comes with 1 deck, 1 booster pack, 1 play mat, 1 PlayStation® Eye and one PlayStation® Eye stand for only 69.99! Its a excellent deal.

See bolded answers.

knicks

Kariido said:
See bolded answers.

Meh, I dont know about this game. I mean it looks good but I just dont think it will have a large enough community to expand its presents. There will be people out there aggravated to settle a game like this on a game console. But nonetheless the starting package is a good deal, although I dont see this game gaining enough popularity for it to sell that much, so in the end spening money on trying to get the best cards may not be worth it.

andy_lhc

knicks said:
But nonetheless the starting package is a good deal, although I dont see this game gaining enough popularity for it to sell that much, so in the end spening money on trying to get the best cards may not be worth it.
I think the staring package is a very good deal and Sony knows it as well. Once they get us hooked on that game, they will start churning all those boosters / expansions and somehow we will buy it...:lol

knicks

andy_lhc said:
I think the staring package is a very good deal and Sony knows it as well. Once they get us hooked on that game, they will start churning all those boosters / expansions and somehow we will buy it...:lol

Will see, hopefully they advertise this game better then the previous PS3 hits.

IzumiK

Banned
Kittonwy said:
When I get this game I'm going to be like "blah blah blah dragon I choose you pikapika ima egyptian pharawr".
Indifferent2.gif

"BLUUAAH EYEEZOOOH WHITOOOOH DUURAAGONNNEHH!!"

~starts doing insane hand moves~

Tiduz

Eurogaime
no credit card, and play asia wont ship to EU me thinks, i hope that 120 thing is just a placeholder price because its more than double the amount of the US release.

Tiduz said:
are those packs with random cards? it would suck if you get doubles tbh.

You always get doubles in CCGs, especially of the uncommons and commons.
It also takes multiples of some cards to make good decks.

Tiduz said:
wild guess: Card Collection Game :p

Yeah that must be either, maybe there's a way you can just buy the best cards on ebay or something and that way you are guaranteed no doubles. You just pay a bit more for them.

Sysgen

I just watched a couple of the videos. I have 3 of the MTG games with Spells of the Ancients being my last pickup so that's where my interest comes from. This seems a bit gimmicky in the sense of why do you need a camera and mat to play? Wouldn't having your cards drawn and viewed on screen be simpler? Thinking about it, the next step in this genre would have the eye project the characters onto the mat instead of having the eye read cards from the mat. Now I'm not sure of the expense to do such a thing but I would easily pay a couple or a few hundred to have these characters projected onto my table.

Sysgen said:
I just watched a couple of the videos. I have 3 of the MTG games with Spells of the Ancients being my last pickup so that's where my interest comes from. This seems a bit gimmicky in the sense of why do you need a camera and mat to play? Wouldn't having your cards drawn and viewed on screen be simpler? Thinking about it, the next step in this genre would have the eye project the characters onto the mat instead of having the eye read cards from the mat. Now I'm not sure of the expense to do such a thing but I would easily pay a couple or a few hundred to have these characters projected onto my table.

You would, but most people wouldn't. That's too expensive right now. As far as I know, you don't even need the PS3 to play the game.

Wollan

I saw some posters for a Armageddon comic show today (here in Melbourne) and Eye of Judgment was one of the three main sponsors it seemed. It was also listed to make a presence so for those who can't wait two weeks..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AranhaHunter said:
You would, but most people wouldn't. That's too expensive right now. As far as I know, you don't even need the PS3 to play the game.

Not really.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I played this game at a Sony end of year pressday, and I was pretty impressed. Now Hasbro has to announce Transformer-decks for Eye of Judgment and I'm completely sold.

Im interested in this, however i havent played card games ever and there is alot of games coming out. This could get bumped to an xmas wishlist game to see if someone will buy it for me.:lol

DrXym

Wollan said:
Not sure how easy that is to do as it has reflective surfaces and stuff.

card.jpg

It should be obvious from the picture how they intend to prevent copying. Those boxes at the top and bottom are like barcodes. Each card probably has a unique code, or at least the rare ones do. Once somebody registers the card in their deck, it won't be possible for someone else to register it even if they did take a copy of it.

You could possibly play single player with copies though, assuming you never went online and used cards that had never been registered.

xaosslug

Tiduz said:
are those packs with random cards? it would suck if you get doubles tbh.

that's where trading comes in. I assume there will be a community to support that, and as such an 'Official NeoGAF The Eye of Judgment Card Trading Thread of Awesome' or something as well.

I don't know about the bar codes. I can't imagine that a 640*480 camera could capture the very slight color variations in those. It's probably just decoration.

Koren

knicks said:
So is there going to be like new cards or something added throughout its life cycle? Or are the cards only playable with the ones included in the package? Would suck to have to go to the store just to buy a pack of cards for a game. Would also suck paying like 4 dollars for endless amount of packs for good cards. Hopefully they figure a cheap a good way to support the game.
They'll release new sets of cards each three months, confirmed till mid-2008 (but I guess that could last longer if there's enough players).

It WILL be awfully expensive for people wanting to have the best decks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SiegfriedFM said:
I don't know about the bar codes. I can't imagine that a 640*480 camera could capture the very slight color variations in those. It's probably just decoration.

It's not the color variations, but the number and placement of those black squares that makes the bar code. Check other cards and you'll see bar codes are different. Those simbols inside are just decoration.

BTW the more I play the game the more I like it. I'd just like to play against humans cos that's where the fun is. Playing with CPU is really just training. Good thing is I'm getting good, ready to pwn n00bs when I'll meet them online during launch period. :p

Koren

DrXym said:
It should be obvious from the picture how they intend to prevent copying. Those boxes at the top and bottom are like barcodes. Each card probably has a unique code, or at least the rare ones do. Once somebody registers the card in their deck, it won't be possible for someone else to register it even if they did take a copy of it.
That probably wouldn't work so easily. What if somebody register a fake card *before* the real owner of the real card do it ?

I doubt that all cards have a unique code, by the way, or the total number of card would be limited to less than a couple of millions (the number of possible barcodes, which is a subset of 2^24), which means they would expect the game to sell less than 200k in the world... But indeed, the rarest one may have a unique ID.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One thing they could be doing to deal with the whole copy-protection issue is using polarised light. The cards could be coated with a type of invisible liquid that only the camera can see (via a polarised lens). Photocopying a card doesn't obviously replicate the liquid or whatever, and copying a card with that liquid would probably cost more than just buying the card.

I haven't read anything specifically about the Eye of Judgment doing this, but it would be one method available to them.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
One thing they could be doing to deal with the whole copy-protection issue is using polarised light. The cards could be coated with a type of invisible liquid that only the camera can see (via a polarised lens). Photocopying a card doesn't obviously replicate the liquid or whatever, and copying a card with that liquid would probably cost more than just buying the card.

I haven't read anything specifically about the Eye of Judgment doing this, but it would be one method available to them.

Do you see those 4 green trinagles? That's a kind of green very difficult to replicate IMO. It's doesnt show in the pics, but it's almost like fluorescent.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Do you see those 4 green trinagles? That's a kind of green very difficult to replicate IMO. It's doesnt show in the pics, but it's almost like fluorescent.

It's possible they're coated with something the camera could only pick up. Although random unique barcodes would be another way, I guess...although that might only work if you're connected to the internet, and it's relaying info to a server which can keep track of which barcodes belong to which user etc..

edit - actually, there is a SCE patent that might be relevant:

[0107] FIG. 5C illustrates another application 550 of polarization to print "hidden" messages on cards only readable by the camera. In this application, a card 555 is combined with a polarizing filter 560 with a polarization pattern. When viewed through a camera with a polarizing filter, an image 565 will include bright regions 570 where the polarization of the filter 560 is aligned with the camera's filter and dark regions 575 where the filter 560 is not aligned with the camera's filter.

So if the PS Eye has a polarizing lens, it's possible they're doing something with that, and maybe that has something to do with the weird type of green on those triangles.

Koren

gofreak said:
One thing they could be doing to deal with the whole copy-protection issue is using polarised light. The cards could be coated with a type of invisible liquid that only the camera can see (via a polarised lens).
That's actually one of the solutions, but I don't think that's the one, because the orientation of the card doesn't seems to change the fact that the camera recognized it. And that's quite easy to check. I want to do some experiments with the card I got at TGS soon, I'll check this, anyway.

gofreak said:
and copying a card with that liquid would probably cost more than just buying the card.
No, you can make copies for very very cheap (less than 1$, probably even cheaper), and with rare cards, it will always be far less expensive than finding the actual card. It's really simple (and can solve many protection schemes like yours), but I don't want to explain it because I don't want to ruin the game (I'll try to make a video of the exploit if nobody believes me, but that'll be all ;) ). I hope there's a unique ID for those card, and a server that try to find people using a lot of cards with same ID as others.

DrXym

Koren said:
That probably wouldn't work so easily. What if somebody register a fake card *before* the real owner of the real card do it ?

I doubt that all cards have a unique code, by the way, or the total number of card would be limited to less than a couple of millions (the number of possible barcodes, which is a subset of 2^24), which means they would expect the game to sell less than 200k in the world... But indeed, the rarest one may have a unique ID.

I don't know the scheme or the keyspace, but there appear to be 16 bits at the top and another 16 bits at the bottom. So I would guess 32 bits. That maze-like squiggle under the graphic might also have some meaning. Note that the graphic says "promo" so maybe there are more bits in the production cards.

Also, it may well be that not every card has a unique id. For example, is there any point assigning a unique id to cards from the starter deck? Starter cards might only have a single id, or or randomly take them from a small pool of ids (e.g. some card A might have 1 or 256 different possible ids). The pool means that it's not immediately obvious which cards are considered rare and which are considered common since the same card from two decks might have a different id.

Rare cards could be assigned a unique id randomly from the rest of the 32-bit keyspace. A random number means you can't guess the card from a sequence (e.g. if Sony said they'd printed 1 million cards, you couldn't assume those cards all have an id between 1 and 1 million).

Furthermore, it's unlikely that Sony is going to print out enough cards to remotely approach filling the keyspace for many years to come (if ever). So the chances of randomly registering a card will always be far lower than of hitting a blank. It should be easy for the server to flag and ban people who cheat by registering bogus cards. Three strikes and they're out or whatever. This could also be extended to those who attempt to register ids of cards they may have seen for sale on ebay, trade fairs or whatever.

There might also be other security features we don't know about. Say for example you register a card that someone else had originally because you bought it. Perhaps the game could challenge you to type some digits printed on the other side, or to pick the symbol embedded in one of the blocks. And so on.

Basically I think they have anti-cheat protection, and anyone who tries will find themselves banned from playing online.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
Does anyone know if the online mode has any sort of worldwide ranking? Keeping track of your wins..etc.

Yep

These are the options I get when I hit the "Online" option:

Ranked match
Opponent search
Create duel room
Rankings:
-- Overall
-- Dhees Empire (fire)
-- Tritonan Queendom (water)
-- Val na Vos (desert)
-- Til Vorg Monarchy (wood)
-- Friends

Rankings layout shows Honour / Online name / Title per player and you can download a replay of the last match (I guess it's the last one, dunno for sure, but anyway you can download and see a whole match from beginning to end) of the top ones. There are just 9 entrees at the moment (mostly from QA guys) and all of them have a downloadable replay attached, much like GTHD.

As for the various Elemental things after "Overall", you can basically choose you region/Elemental alignment when "building" your online ID but I'm clueless as to what that implies. Anyway, those options allow to see the rankings sorted by Element alignment of the players.

Custom match
Search for Room (can search by langue and style)
Create duel room
-- Language
-- Style (Serious, Quick, Easy Going, Training)
-- Stage Selection
-- Board layout
-- Time Limit (from 3 minutes to Infinite)
-- First Turn setting
-- Battle animation on/off

View invitations (invites are sent via the XMB friends list - no invites in ranked matches of course)

Player Config
Here you see your stats which offer the following info:

Kingdom / Title
Honour / Overall rank
# of battles / # of wins / # of losses / # of forced exits
Bio

And you can set the following options:

Comments (it's the "Bio" thing. Much like the XMB comments but specific to the game - doesn't change your XMB comment)
Kingdom (see above)
Title (dunno why it lets you choose your title - I can only choose the default one, Challenger, as I've yet to play online)
Deck Used (here you choose the deck you want to bring online from those you registered)
Voice chat on/off
Text chat on/off

Was I detailed enough? :p

Edit: added more info

Wollan

WOW. That's quite more than I was expecting actually. Also replays!
Looks like they really thought it through from a competetive standpoint. Thanks again TTP.

Edit: Adding a link to that post in the OP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
krypt0nian said:
Replays will help a lot to formulate strats early on. very cool.

Yep. You can also see the cards in players hands at every draw. It's basically like watching the game from behind their shoulders. Very useful indeed.

It's so cool watching QA guys matches as they seem to have some incredible cards/creatures/spells not in the starter deck. :D

Top Bottom