• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

IzumiK

Banned
Okay guys, if I can get my hands on a Japanese version, I'll tell you if you can use them in American versions.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I fear I'm on a collision course to buy this game and then proceed to feel absolutely uncomfortable playing it when my wife wanders into the room. None of you guys should accept invitations to play online with me...I'm liable to sweep everything off the coffee table the moment I hear footsteps in the other room. :lol

Wollan

We can watch the drama unfold through the Eye camera.

'Noo! Don't do it kaching.'
'...'
'oh.. she likes it that way'

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
neorej said:
TTP, you're a European reviewer right?

Yep. Should I detract a copule of points from the score conisdering the 100€ price tag? I'm puzzled as to why this game costs so much here. :(

Wollan

Does the EU version come in a box or does it have the same plastic package? I'm guessing you can't say yet.
Anyways, the game is threading new ground and it's also smartly avoiding certain traps (cheating, animation on/off). From what you've described from the online it sounds really rich.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
We can watch the drama unfold through the Eye camera.

'Noo! Don't do it kaching.'
'...'
'oh.. she likes it that way'
screencap for legendary thread on GAF with colored outline people the next day. Urgh.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
Does the EU version come in a box or does it have the same plastic package? I'm guessing you can't say yet.
Anyways, the game is threading new ground and it's also smartly avoiding certain traps (cheating, animation on/off). From what you've described from the online it sounds really rich.

But still... One fucking hundred euros. In comparison, the US version costs half that with taxes and all. I just dont get it. Does it came with two PlayStation Eye and 120 cards? WTH.

I'm pretty sure game is going to fail in EU sales wise. This CCG stuff is mostly for kids right? I mean, I see them playing cards all day. I just can't see any of them (or their parents) spending 100 Euros for this. And 399 on top of that if they dont have a PS3. Game is sent to die in Europe.

Wollan

Yeah. A bit absurd.
There will be a small and very hardcore group of folks though that will find this to be a console seller all on it's own.
Higher then one point detracted for value seems too much (after all, one could call the US version underpriced, it's not like the EU version is 'bad value' if it only came out over here).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
Yeah. A bit absurd.
There will be a small and very hardcore group of folks though that will find this to be a console seller all on it's own.
Higher then one point detracted for value seems too much (after all, one could call the US version underpriced, it's not like the EU version is 'bad value' if it only came out over here).

Dunno, you add 69 euros and you get a PSP... its does seems a bit too much imo.

Steroyd

TTP said:
Yep. Should I detract a copule of points from the score conisdering the 100€ price tag? I'm puzzled as to why this game costs so much here. :(

What the hell?

It should cost 10 more than a normal game like America.

If it's more than £60 I'm not buying it... till it gets cheaper.

Wollan

I have no idea why they have such a price difference. A shame.
You would almost think they would earn just as much by having lower price but selling to more people.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
TTP said:

Cool, I'll go see if I can get my mitts on a reviewcopy then :)

And yes, I think the price is a point of consideration for the reviewscore.

TTP said:
But still... One fucking hundred euros. In comparison, the US version costs half that with taxes and all. I just dont get it. Does it came with two PlayStation Eye and 120 cards? WTH.

I'm pretty sure game is going to fail in EU sales wise. This CCG stuff is mostly for kids right? I mean, I see them playing cards all day. I just can't see any of them (or their parents) spending 100 Euros for this. And 399 on top of that if they dont have a PS3. Game is sent to die in Europe.
It's mostly kids but there seems to be a small adult fanbase. At least judging from my favourite book/comicstore - there's always lots of kids at the TCG tables and the odd adult trading cards and playing games - they might be child molesters though.

But I agree, the pricing is strange, it's in-line though with the recent first party prices (71,95 € RRP here in Germany).

Timmah

I am English living in Germany, and I am afraid the cards will be localised :-/

Does anybody have any confirmation on this? Or is it safe ordering the German version?

7Th

Gameplay reminds me of that system Konami uses for the Gurren-Lagann card game although with a bigger terrain.

Still, awesome geek-tastic concept.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Timmah said:

Does anybody have any confirmation on this? Or is it safe ordering the German version?

Waiting a reply about this.

Bundles are coming to Germany (as well as UK and AU) as far as I know. This might be an indication the game will be localized.

2rhbced.jpg

NOTE: This does NOT include the PS3. It's named bundle on the press disc, but it's actually the game package. I wonder if the high price tag depends on that. And the localization... :(

Wollan said:
I'm surprised you say kids actually. Doesn't Magic the Gathering have a rather older userbase?
I was never into card games. Don't know if they still play Magic or other card games. From the glimpses I saw there also seems to be popular manga-based TCGs. It definetly seems not like back in the days when I was still role-playing and Magic was the big rage. You may be right and the Magic fanbase is mostly adults but I guess they wouldn't hang out in a comic/bookstore to play and trade.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
TTP said:
Waiting a reply about this.

Bundles are coming to Germany (as well as UK and AU) as far as I know. This might be an indication the game will be localized.

(image)
NOTE: This does NOT include the PS3. It's named bundle on the press disc, but it's actually the game package. I wonder if the high price tag depends on that. And the localization... :(

Compared to the cheap blister-pack the US is getting, I'd say, yeah, the high price is (partly) because of the packing.
And this in game localised in German will be hilarious. (I remember Drake's Schicksal :lol)

Steroyd

neorej said:
Compared to the cheap blister-pack the US is getting, I'd say, yeah, the high price is (partly) because of the packing.
And this in game localised in German will be hilarious. (I remember Drake's Schicksal :lol)

I shouldn't, but I just burst out in laughter so much now I'm crying. :lol

Timmah said:

I searched but couldn't find anything, sorry.

Did find the first magazine review score though:

play³ 11/07

Grafik 79% (gfx)
Sound 65%
Multiplayer 84%

Spielspass 80% (hard to translate, fun-factor or something along the lines, basically overall score)

Release date: 24.10.2007

Wollan

Good stuff. Seems in line with what I expect. Some trashy metal/fantasy music, good graphics though not many attacks with gameplay being the high pillar. The multiplayer info TTP posted was a relief, quite deep and feature rich, should last for a long time.

Timmah

Ok, just got it confirmed. The game and cards will be fully localised for the major markets in Europe. Do'h!

Koren

DrXym said:
I don't know the scheme or the keyspace, but there appear to be 16 bits at the top and another 16 bits at the bottom. So I would guess 32 bits.
It's 12 at both side, if I'm not mistaken... Hence the 2^24

That maze-like squiggle under the graphic might also have some meaning. Note that the graphic says "promo" so maybe there are more bits in the production cards.
I have a production card, and I've seen the actual game at TGS, this has not changed. The strange graphics have no meaning, the resolution of the camera is too low to do anything efficient on this (beside, if they used this, the contrast on it would be higher, it's low because they have to avoid it).

Besides this, I agree...

Basically I think they have anti-cheat protection, and anyone who tries will find themselves banned from playing online.
I really hope so, but it's a complex task, especially since you can trade your cards. The only sure way to detect fraud is using unique ID on some cards and see two players using them online *at the same time*. And you'll only find which one is the cheater if it happens often.

(strange thing is I'm mostly interested in the game to fully understand how their protection/detection scheme works, I like CCG and play them online sometimes, but the whole "augmented reality" thing doesn't appeal to me, and slow down the gameplay a lot).

MoxManiac

Phife Dawg said:
It's mostly kids but there seems to be a small adult fanbase. At least judging from my favourite book/comicstore - there's always lots of kids at the TCG tables and the odd adult trading cards and playing games - they might be child molesters though.

But I agree, the pricing is strange, it's in-line though with the recent first party prices (71,95 € RRP here in Germany).

:lol :lol

That's one of the reasons I moved to playing these games online.

For the record though, most of the adults that play magic play it professionally (yes, the prizes are large enough to do this!)

neorej said:
Prepare your Feuerdrache!
"Prepare your Feuerdrachen!" Would be the correct grammatical use, although mixing english and german makes this kind of hard to judge.

Timmah said:
Ok, just got it confirmed. The game and cards will be fully localised for the major markets in Europe. Do'h!
You could just import the UK version from Play or Blahdvd. If you're working I guess you have a CC. Takes some time for shipping (3 days usually) but should be cheaper as well.

MoxManiac said:
:lol :lol

That's one of the reasons I moved to playing these games online.

For the record though, most of the adults that play magic play it professionally (yes, the prizes are large enough to do this!)
For real? Man I should've started when the whole movement began :lol .

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
krypt0nian said:
You can. You'd just need health/mana counters since damage to monsters is cumulative.

That's not only that. There are a shitload of variables to keep track of. Not just damage, but attributes relative to the field, creatures positioning and much more.

Add this
Partmole Flame Guard - add 2 to it's attacks if at least one target creature is on the water field

to this
Monk Elder of Okunda - All allied creatures on adiacent fields gain a dodge attempt

and this
Green lycanthrope - When summoned, half of the time add 3 to its HP and 2 to its Attack

and this
Verzar Elephant Brigade (desert creature) - Must use its secondary attack while on an Earth field. While on Earth field allied creatures on adiacient field add 2 to their Attack nad 1 to their Activation Cost

and this
Triceptaur Behemoth - When attacks 2 creatures, subtract 2 from it's Attack. When attacking 3 creatures, subtract 4 from his Attack

and this
Infernal Sciondar Dragon - Its attack is equal to 5 plus the number of fire creatures (friend or foe) on the board. While ISD is on the Fire filed, it's activation cost to attack is 3 less than listed.

and this
Great Tolicore Quake - Fieldquake (aka flip to change element) all fields of a chosen element

and this
Moving Isle of Kadena (water creature) - if summoned on non-water field steal mana from opponent equal to number of water fields.

and this
Leapfrog Bandit (wood creature) - if destroyed on a non-Wood fieldm ur opponent must discard 1 card

and you can see how it might get a little difficult to keep track of all this stuff without a CPU "watching" you.

Rolf NB

TTP said:
No no no no no. Evaluate what the game offers to you. Mention and complain about the price if you think you have to (and you probably do have to, 100€ ouch!).

Fun trivia: if a game drops to half its initial price after three months, do you change the score? Thought so.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bcn-ron said:
No no no no no. Evaluate what the game offers to you. Mention and complain about the price if you think you have to (and you probably do have to, 100€ ouch!).

Fun trivia: if a game drops to half its initial price after three months, do you change the score? Thought so.

That's my thinking as well ;)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
if only there were a $399 PS3 SKU in the US.. hopefully by the time Singstar PS3 hits NA there will be. This and Singstar actually have me wanting a PS3.. just not willing to part with $500 for one.

spwolf

TTP said:

it is probably that SCEA is subsidising the cost in USA, while SCEE does not want to for whatever reason.

Mesijs

Ynos Yrros said:
Surprise surprise, you didn't enjoy a PS3 game.

You, sir or lady, are an idiot.

I've been called a PS3 fanboy and being accused of being bribed because I rated Resistance a 9 and MotorStorm an 8 on the site I write for. I rated Warhawk a 9 too. Super Stardust HD also.

What is your problem? Am I not allowed to also dislike PS3-games? I own a debug, I think it's a fantastic machine, I'm more fan of it than 360 and Wii combined. But I sometimes have a negative opinion too about PS3-games.

Ratchet & Clank is great btw. I'm amazed after the first 3 worlds.

Didn't play EoJ since my last post, too busy with LocoRoco Cocoreccho (great!), Folklore (mixed) and Ratchet & Clank (great!).

On the whole copy protection issue I read that their aim was to make it hard enough for people to just xerox the cards, but probably with enough time and dedication the protection could be broken.

I disagree with most of you that it would ruin the game though. I honestly couldn't care less if my oponent has real cards or not. The game still won't let you make a valid deck with more repeats cards if they're fake (it was 4 in MTG don't know how many in this one) and really the only thing standing between you and your dream deck is money. Even if they have access to all the cards available they have to be ablle to build a competitive 30 card deck. I'm reasurred there should be no cheating while playing though since their solution while not very elegant pretty much assures you there's no funny business going on.

I saw there was a training option in online play, it'd be tremendously helpful if they let you play with placeholder cards in those modes. See when you're preparing for a tournament you wanna fine tune your deck playing against the decks you're likely to find there. But you don't want to MAKE those decks, so placeholder cards are used (those are obviously not allowed in a tournament). It would be really sweet if they let you do this in this game. So you can try a deck and see how it would work before you commit to making it for real online play.

Also we should make some GAF tournament once the game hits. They can be theme tournaments to add more fun or with certaing restrictions like an all common deck or one that has the same amount of rares and uncommons as the theme decks sold. It's fun that way because it's a more level field and the differentiating factor is skill and not as much the amount of cards you have.

Wollan

A GAF tournament would be fun. Once all of us get our games and two weeks or so have passed we can create a weekend tournament. If anyone volunteer for keeping the charts and such then please step forward.

Kariido

Banned
Wollan said:
A GAF tournament would be fun. Once all of us get our games and two weeks or so have passed we can create a weekend tournament. If anyone volunteer for keeping the charts and such then please step forward.

Yeah that would be a lot of fun.

MoxManiac

Does this game have any kind of clan support? Seems that would be the best bet for GAFers. Who else is getting it day one?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
copy protection is really only a small part of "protecting" the game. a more important aspect is with the rules themselves. I mean sure it's cheating to go and copy the most powerful card in the game 5 times and load up your deck, but does that really suck any more than losing against some suburban kiddie whose mom bought him 5 of that card legit off of ebay? I mean you can build a really killer Yu-gi deck right now for under $100.

The key will be to keep the rules balanced. Star Wars by Decipher for example only allowed you to have one of any unique in your deck at a time. So you couldn't throw 5 Darth Vaders in there. Sure it would suck if an opponent had vader, tarkin, vaders saber, vaders tie, the executor and the death star all out at the same time, but again it really doesn't suck any more or less if they are legit, fake, found in packs or bought off of ebay.

o a slightly unrelated note.... the $400 PS3 pack rumored for $400 is making this very tempting. $400 plus 5 BRD movies and this seems like a pretty fair purchase......

I got lucky with this. A UK website had it up for £34.99 months back for preorder. So I did on the off chance it might go up. And whaddya know, it's now £59.99. So I lucked out.

Top Bottom