• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

Wollan

borghe said:
The key will be to keep the rules balanced. Star Wars by Decipher for example only allowed you to have one of any unique in your deck at a time. So you couldn't throw 5 Darth Vaders in there.

I'm guessing some inbalances will be found eventually as this is, after all, the first game in the franchise. New frontiers and all that.
With that said, obviously stronger cards need more mana to be used so you will have to keep up a good balance of lighter cards, spell cards and strong cards to compete.

spwolf

Mesijs said:
You, sir or lady, are an idiot.

I've been called a PS3 fanboy and being accused of being bribed because I rated Resistance a 9 and MotorStorm an 8 on the site I write for. I rated Warhawk a 9 too. Super Stardust HD also.

What is your problem? Am I not allowed to also dislike PS3-games? I own a debug, I think it's a fantastic machine, I'm more fan of it than 360 and Wii combined. But I sometimes have a negative opinion too about PS3-games.

Ratchet & Clank is great btw. I'm amazed after the first 3 worlds.

Didn't play EoJ since my last post, too busy with LocoRoco Cocoreccho (great!), Folklore (mixed) and Ratchet & Clank (great!).

reason people dont take you seriously is because you change your opinions and you also give out one sentence review, without backing it up. Look to other reviewers that post here, who, when they want their opinion to be taken seriously, give one page reviews of the games so people know why they did or did not like the game.

I really, really hope this catches on. This is the type of thing that would make me disregard any issues I have with the PS3 SKUs. This game, it would be my dream come true. If a GAF league forms and gets regular attendance, it would be a PS3 deal-maker for me.

I want this. Baaad

Wollan

766795_hand_1.jpg

Join the NeoGAF fellowship.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
I'm guessing some inbalances will be found eventually as this is, after all, the first game in the franchise. New frontiers and all that.
With that said, obviously stronger cards need more mana to be used so you will have to keep up a good balance of lighter cards, spell cards and strong cards to compete.

The number of allowed cards per creature in a EOJ deck goes from 3 to 1 depending on their strenght. So they thought about that as well.

Wollan

So there's both mana concern and class concern (excluding the most important part which is their skill and role) when choosing a card.
Elemental grounds, directional attacks, special circumstances, spells, creatures..etc.
There's tons of depth to this game, the nine fields are deceiving really.

TTP said:
The number of allowed cards per creature in a EOJ deck goes from 3 to 1 depending on their strenght. So they thought about that as well.

That's definitely the way to go. I plan on buying some boosters but I don't want to feel outclassed because of card selection. This is all going well. :D

You will be anyways. There isn't a single CCG in the world where an starter deck and a few boosters are enough to compete. But since decks are only 30 cards I guess they could be cheaper to build than on other CCG, but then again boosters have only 8 cards. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of money for a competitive deck.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
crazygambit said:
There isn't a single CCG in the world where an starter deck and a few boosters are enough to compete. But since decks are only 30 cards I guess they could be cheaper to build than on other CCG, but then again boosters have only 8 cards. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of money for a competitive deck.

Ah, but you can always slum it and relentlessly use the cheesiest creature in your starter.

41.jpg

Happy days.

Mesijs

spwolf said:
reason people dont take you seriously is because you change your opinions and you also give out one sentence review, without backing it up. Look to other reviewers that post here, who, when they want their opinion to be taken seriously, give one page reviews of the games so people know why they did or did not like the game.

I changed my opinion with HS, yes. That's the difference between a first impression and a balanced look. You're right in this regard. Next time, I will mention if it's a first impression or a balanced look.

I, by the way, do post big summaries of my reviews. Did it with HS and Conan and maybe other games too.

So, my opinion of EoJ is a first impression. Did not play the game enough to have a balanced look on it. Hope it's clear now.

Wollan

Sell your wallets, it's all over.

3497076x.jpg

3497067x.jpg

3497070x.jpg

3497061x.jpg

3497057x.jpg

3497055x.jpg

Booster packs (8 random cards: 5 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare or ultra rare) sell for $3.99

Theme deck (30 pre-set cards in alignment + four function cards (end game..etc)) sell for $14.99

Chromax

Wollan said:
Unless it wasn't clear, those four last packages there are complete starter decks for a certain alignments.

and it seems like Earth Emperor and Fire Crusader got switched. :lol

I was just wondering how they were gonna deal with the future expansion packs. I could see the data for the next 2 being already on the disk as they've been working on the game for quite a while and the cards for those expansions are probably finalized already.

But what about the next ones (or if they're not included)? I sure as hell hope they don't expect me to buy another game to be able to buy the cards they release in the future. I hope they provide free downloadable updates, but I see them getting pretty big since they have to include the models for all 100 or so cards of the expansion, plus animations, sounds, etc.

Have they talked about this at all and I missed it? I'd like to know, though I'm still buying day one regardless, I'm just too hyped for this to care at this point.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
crazygambit said:
I was just wondering how they were gonna deal with the future expansion packs. I could see the data for the next 2 being already on the disk as they've been working on the game for quite a while and the cards for those expansions are probably finalized already.

But what about the next ones (or if they're not included)? I sure as hell hope they don't expect me to buy another game to be able to buy the cards they release in the future. I hope they provide free downloadable updates, but I see them getting pretty big since they have to include the models for all 100 or so cards of the expansion, plus animations, sounds, etc.

Have they talked about this at all and I missed it? I'd like to know, though I'm still buying day one regardless, I'm just too hyped for this to care at this point.

Yep. Upon launching the game it checks for updates. To be more precise, it asks you if you want to check for updates. There is a yes/no option. I'm clueless as to why it doesnt check automatically but rather asks the user if he wants to do so. Maybe it's just the review code? It states it's the 1.0 version.

Anyway, I bet when new cards come out, an update will be found and downloaded. Obviously for free, since you wont be able to actually use the new content unless you buy those cards.

Damn I sound like a Sony viral marketeer with all this info I'm giving. I swear I'm not! :lol

dfyb

Banned
crazygambit said:

they can deliver expansions through downloads on PSN. they better be free to download/play though (the profit from the new cards should be enough).

Wollan

Booster packs (8 random cards: 5 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare or ultra rare) sell for $3.99

Theme deck (30 pre-set cards in alignment + four function cards (end game..etc)) sell for $14.99

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:

Why are they giving the function cards with new decks? Those are already in the main game package.

TTP said:
Why are they giving the function cards with new decks? Those are already in the main game package.

I guess so that if non-PS3 folks buy cards they won't have to put their mitts on your function cards. ;)

DON'T TOUCH MY FUCKING CARDS!

Obviously in case you lose them or they get damaged. Can you play the game without the function cards, but still using the PS3? Like giving the attack commands and what not with the controller?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
pretty much a confirmed purchase but I'm still kinda clueless on a few things.

- the battle system in general
- does the eye toy function as a regular cam like the 360 camera? and if so does it have any cool features?
- the game doesn't rely on luck of the draw does it? because couldn't you just arrange your deck how you want?

there is probably like a vid on the first page that explains my EoJ related questions but i haven't checked so forgive me if that is the case.

- the game doesn't rely on luck of the draw does it? because couldn't you just arrange your deck how you want?

Yes, it does somewhat rely on luck of the draw. Of course a well constructed deck takes into account the probability of getting the cards you need, but in a match you can very well lose if you constantly draw the crap you don't need.

You can't arrange the deck i.e. cheat, since the PS3 draws the cards for you while playing online. It tells you what you drew and you look through your deck for that card. While playing with someone else on one PS3 you have to police yourselves. But stacking the deck is always considered cheating in a game like this.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
anyone looking for cards, as a GAF only deal (you have to PM me here) I will sell you a booster box for $90 shipped, and $82 for each additional box in the same shipment. Again this includes shipping. Those who know me from OT know I run a legit comic shop. I have these cards available to me and figured I'd pass them on to the gaming side for those who are interested. Cards are on blisters and are 8 cards to a booster, 36 boosters to a box. They're scheduled to ship according to Diamond Comics Distributors on 11/21. We will require a 50% deposit on the entire order and a credit card on file, but this is pretty much standard with all of our pre-orders and subscriptions of which we've been doing for over a year now.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I'm waiting to get a new TV before I grab a PS3 unless the 40GB models fix the 1080i problem with 720p games. :( Needless to say I've been watching this game at every con this year and it'll be one of the first games I pick up once I get that TV... :\

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just watched the IGN review, and I can't wait to play this with my friends.

I've got a few questions though:

I'd be mainly playing with people who don't own a PS3 or the game. Can you buy additional starter decks without buying a whole new game? Can you potentially play with two people against eachother locally with the cards that are provided?

Can you play with more than two people? 4 people?

Mesijs

Isn't this game very cheat-sensitive when playing online against others? Rearranging decks, drawing more cards etc?

Mesijs said:
Isn't this game very cheat-sensitive when playing online against others? Rearranging decks, drawing more cards etc?
Das computer is le dealer.

You scan all your cards before playing. Then the PS3 handles the deck and you pick up the card it shows you.

'd be mainly playing with people who don't own a PS3 or the game.
1. Can you buy additional starter decks without buying a whole new game?
2. Can you potentially play with two people against eachother locally with the cards that are provided?

3. Can you play with more than two people? 4 people?

1. Yes you can buy additional theme decks (they're probably a bit better than the starter deck, but still crappy if other CCG are anything to go by).

2. Not enough cards to make another 30 card deck, since it's the 30 card starter deck and an 8 card booster pack.

3. No. It's a one on one game, like most CCG.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
crazygambit said:
1. Yes you can buy additional theme decks (they're probably a bit better than the starter deck, but still crappy if other CCG are anything to go by).

Are the theme decks randomly picked? I see that I can order them from EB, but there is only one item. If I get 3, could I potentially be getting the exact same three?

Are the theme decks randomly picked? I see that I can order them from EB, but there is only one item. If I get 3, could I potentially be getting the exact same three?

They're not random. They are especifically designed to be playable. You can't just pick any random 30 cards and make a deck... well you can, but it wouldn't be very playable. So yeah for example if you buy 2 monolith decks they'll be the same, but I believe there are 6 in total. Theme decks usually have a rare that's decent and hard to get in boosters so they're kinda useful. Of course we don't know yet what cards they contain... or what the decent rares even are at this point.

So if you buy a theme deck you can immediately play 2 player games against the starter deck, but if you wanna go online you might wanna tweak them a bit (or a lot) to be competitive.

Top Bottom