• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
Paper Mario has a way better chance...

Cel-shaded Link, on the other hand, wouldn't make much sense IMO
Paper Mario has a better chance than Wind Waker Link? No way in hell.

Cel-shaded Link makes much more sense considering that Young Link was already in Melee. Cel-shade him and call it a day, or go the extra mile and give him a unique moveset, either way it's far more likely we'll see him back again than yet another Mario character.

I'm hoping that WW Link will be a new skin for either Link or Young Link (instead of just changing costume color like in Melle). But hey, a new character would be pretty awesome as well.

papercut

WastingPenguins said:
Paper Mario has a way better chance, seeing how he has his own Mario spinoff series, and is in some senses a separate character from the traditional Mario we know and love. I still wouldn't hold my breath.

Cel-shaded Link, on the other hand, wouldn't make much sense IMO-- he's just the product of the graphical style of a few specific iterations of the LoZ series. He isn't a separate character in any sense... he's just Link. The fact that a few Zelda titles have a certain graphical style doesn't matter, because EVERY Zelda game has a different graphical style. Including him separately would be like including Ocarina-of-Time-Link and Adventures-of-Link-Link as separate characters, just because those games have distinct graphical styles in the series. Bad idea. I'm not saying that it COULDN'T happen (because this is Smash and any crazy thing can happen), but I wouldn't want it to. Give me another original character instead, please.

Well ideally they'd give WW Link a somewhat different moveset. I'm not saying he should be a Link clone the way Young Link was in Melee. I just like the design of the character a lot, and think it would be nice to play as him.

Helzown

Zeed said:

Cel-shaded Link makes much more sense considering that Young Link was already in Melee. Cel-shade him and call it a day, or go the extra mile and give him a unique moveset, either way it's far more likely we'll see him back again than yet another Mario character.

WW Link may have more of a chance, but Paper Mario actually makes more sense (not that I want either of them. I want King K. Rool.)

WastingPenguins said:
Paper Mario has a way better chance, seeing how he has his own Mario spinoff series, and is in some senses a separate character from the traditional Mario we know and love. I still wouldn't hold my breath.
Zeed said:
I for one would love for both of them to be in Brawl. Paper Mario vs. WW Young Link would be an awesome battle! :D

Jiggy

We've only had one hero of a spinoff series in Smash so far, and that was Dr. Mario--who was probably exceptionally easy to create. Cel-shaded Link, on the other hand, is the hero of two main series Zelda games, one of which will have been the most recent (non-Crossbow Training) Zelda by the time SSBB releases. I don't see him as being that unlikely, whereas Paper Mario... I'm very much not expecting to see him at all. Unless he's just a Mario clone.

Zeed said:

Paper Mario is practically his own character, separate from regular ol' canonical Mario. He even has a different name-- Paper Mario!

WW Link, on the other hand... he's just Link. He's not a different character at all.

I still think they both have about a... 0.001% chance of happening, but I, personally, think PM would make way more sense.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
I still think they both have about a... 0.001% chance of happening, but I, personally, think PM would make way more sense.
Whether or not it makes sense is another debate altogether, but the odds of cel-shaded Link stomp Paper Mario into the goddamn ground.

Plus cel-shaded Young Link would give me hope for Young Zelda and Tetra.

hiryu2015

Zeed said:
If Capcom contributes a character (and they will), it's going to be Megaman, watch.

Someone a few pages back suggested only third party mascots would likely be in Brawl, which makes sense to me on some levels. While it's well-known that Mega Man is synonymous with Capcom, who else (besides Captain Commando) appeared on an official Capcom logo for some time?

mvsc.jpg

Dont know if anyones noticed but in the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 vid, when DK is played on adventure mode, theres another character there. Its yellow and looks like it has 2 "Tails"

papercut

Jiggy37 said:
Paper Mario... I'm very much not expecting to see him at all. Unless he's just a Mario clone.

He'd have a totally different moveset though. Sakurai can probably yank it straight from Thousand-Year Door. How cool would it be to turn into a paper airplane to recover? Or use the hammer, or throw green shells? Etc.

His stage could literally be the stage from TYD. The audience can throw items at the fighters!

hiryu2015 said:
Someone a few pages back suggested only third party mascots would likely be in Brawl, which makes sense to me on some levels. While it's well-known that Mega Man is synonymous with Capcom, who else (besides Captain Commando) appeared on an official Capcom logo for some time?

mvsc.jpg

Solid Snake says you're wrong.

Besides, what the hell would they call him? "Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link"? "Cel-Shaded Link"?

Disclaimer: If cel-shaded Link is announced, please don't go insane hunting down my old posts to "make me eat crow" or some crazy nonsense like that, Zeed. I'm not saying WW Link won't happen, I'd just be surprised and think it was a dumb choice, for reasons already stated. I'd be happy to play as him, sure, but I think time would be better spent developing other characters.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
Besides, what the hell would they call him? "Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link"? "Cel-Shaded Link"?
Young Link.

I'm not saying WW Link won't happen, I just think it would be stupid if it did.
What you were saying actually was that Paper Mario had a better chance than Wind Waker Link. Which is objectively nonsense, considering that Young Link has already had a previous appearance.

Anyway, I just realized that we've passed the 29,000 benchmark. The power of Sonic is indeed mighty.

The Halo 3 thread better watch its back.

Jiggy

papercut said:
He'd have a totally different moveset though. Sakurai can probably yank it straight from Thousand-Year Door. How cool would it be to turn into a paper airplane to recover? Or use the hammer, or throw green shells? Etc.
Yes, he should have a different moveset. I'm just suggesting that having to create a new moveset for him might be the main thing stopping Sakurai and his team from putting him in the game, when he's really only the hero of a spinoff series.

Akai said:
Thanks! :D So very bookmarked.
Now to quietly figure out which side I think has the advantage.

papercut

WastingPenguins said:

Disclaimer: If cel-shaded Link is announced, please don't go insane hunting down my old posts to "make me eat crow" or some crazy nonsense like that, Zeed. I'm not saying WW Link won't happen, I'd just be surprised and think it was a dumb choice.

I think it makes more sense than Sonic or Snake :p They're major Nintendo characters, after all.

Akai

WastingPenguins said:
Disclaimer: If cel-shaded Link is announced, please don't go insane hunting down my old posts to "make me eat crow" or some crazy nonsense like that, Zeed. I'm not saying WW Link won't happen, I just think it would be stupid if it did.
I think Wind Waker Link would make a rad Assist Trophy...Like he pulls out his Wind Waker and makes strong wind blow in random directions or calls forth a tornado to wreck havoc on the stage...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
hiryu2015 said:

mvsc.jpg
The more I think about it, the more I see Ryu as a real possibility. I would love to see megaman in the game but I think about it, he has alot of moves that are similar to characters already in the game (samus charge shot for example). Ryu would just completely stand out.

All of that said, I want STRIDER.

WastingPenguins said:

Disclaimer: If cel-shaded Link is announced, please don't go insane hunting down my old posts to "make me eat crow" or some crazy nonsense like that, Zeed.
Who was it who said Wario's motorcycle wouldn't be in the game? :lol

As for what they would call him, they would just call him Young Link. :D

hiryu2015

polyh3dron said:
Solid Snake says you're wrong.

Well, Snake is the exception to those mascot rules, if such a thing exists. It's been said that Kojima asked for his inclusion in Melee as a personal request, not a company thing, so it's hard to justify his inclusion otherwise. I'm sure that if Sonic were the first third-party character, the consensus would be that a Konami addition wouldn't be Snake (although so many would be begging for it), but Simon instead.

For now, it's the safest bet to choose a mascot character (and like others have said, it's likely to be Mega Man from Capcom), but who knows right? It might be Zack from Zack & Wiki for all we know.

SixStringPsycho said:
Dont know if anyones noticed but in the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 vid, when DK is played on adventure mode, theres another character there. Its yellow and looks like it has 2 "Tails"

Now that I look at it it looks exactly like tails!! 2 tails, yellow with white tips! And it's spinning just like donkey kong!!!

someone needs to do some close up shots of this

Firestorm

layzie1989 said:
Now that I look at it it looks exactly like tails!! 2 tails, yellow with white tips! And it's spinning just like donkey kong!!!

someone needs to do some close up shots of this

wut wut wat wawt WHAT?

Jirotrom

hiryu2015 said:

mvsc.jpg
In all honesty I would love to hav "Hadoken!" and "Shoryuken" in the game but Megaman would win over him for Capcoms choice.

Chumly

With Sonic now in Brawl how many characters in total with unlockables do you guys think we can have. Im hopeing for 40+ which would be absolutely amazing.

Innotech

Banned
I am crazy excited about this. Especially since Ive always been both a nintendo and Sega fan. I never really took sides back then I just played everything.
This is so awesome my face melted last night.

tapedeck said:
The more I think about it, the more I see Ryu as a real possibility. I would love to see megaman in the game but I think about it, he has alot of moves that are similar to characters already in the game (samus charge shot for example). Ryu would just completely stand out.

All of that said, I want STRIDER.
You know, if you think about it, Mario and Ryu share some similarities.

Fireball - Hadoken
Mario's Up + B - Shoryuken
Mario's Tornado - Tasumaki Shinpuken (or however you spell his spin kick)

Then again, I suppose with Mario's cape, and his new down+B the point is moot, but still...

Helzown

Zeed said:
It's not hard, if I weren't so damn lazy I'd do it myself.

._.

I know, I was just having a flashback to Crushed;

"Here you go!"

"Yay, we love you... but could you do the one that has Lucas in it?"

"Oh for the love of..."

Obviously this is a job for Crushed.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
And now for something completely different: a seriously hardcore Mario fan's take on the Sonic appearance:

http://waluigious.blogspot.com/2007/10/in-which-i-dont-care.html

I expected myself to bash my head into things, scream and jump from buildings, should this moment ever arrive. But I don't seem to be affected by it. I just don't really care about this. And you know why? Because Nintendo and Sega ripped out the part of my soul that could care.

They not only ripped it out, they stomped on it, spat on it, cut it up, poured vinegar on it, and then torched what was left. And now I cannot show any interest in this matter anymore - and in the game itself. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is dead for me now. Just dead.

Look at the video. Look how nonchalantly a ridiculously overpowered Sonic beats up the GOOD characters, the characters that aren't perverted vore furries. Listen to his mind-gratingly stupid voice. "Speed's my game." Well, Sonic, last time I checked, "speed" wasn't spelled "S-S-B-B". But it's not as if I cared.

I don't care how many people will find this unholy, deeply wrong conglomeration to be awesome and buy it. I don't care that Nintendo may look at the success of this and Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games and think, "Maybe we should incorporate Sonic into the Mario series." I don't care if Sonic will be playable in Mario Kart Wii and the next Mario Party.

But when Mario will fight, atop the roof of the Koopa Keep lit by lightning, after collecting 120 Chaos Emeralds, a giant robot controlled by Dr. Eggman, I will care. When Princess Peach invites not only Daisy, but Amy and Cream to her tea party, I will care. When Luigi goes on an RPG adventure and finds Knuckles as a partner, I will care.

But will the fact that I care stop the spreading of that evil plague? It won't. The only thing I can do now is hope. Hope for the little mercy and benevolence the producers at Nintendo still might have, for the fans to not send them a million of "MAEK MOAR GAEMS LIEK DIS" letters, and for Sonic to somehow die in a fire. Or in water.

But as for now, R.I.P. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You shall only be resurrected if Nintendo doesn't keep disappointing us and even including Sonic in Super Mario Galaxy.

You know, I actually read this guy's blog and he's got some insightful Mario articles...but this unmitigated venom just amuses me.

I took some screenprints of the trailer, but can't really make anything out. Kinda looks like there is some green in there so it may be a paratroopa dying from being in DK's path, but I'll let you see for yourself.

wtf2.jpg

this one looks most like a paratroopa because at least I can see the face, a greenish shell looking, and what could be the wings
wtf.jpg

this one pretty much just shows wings swirling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom