• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pringo

Banned
Hmm, fairly predictable update I suppose. We've gotten a few updates about a character the day after they're revealed haven't we?

Anyways, Sonic's moves are looking pretty nice so far. They're directly lifted from his games and that's kinda cool. The up B's a little weird, I thought the spring was going to be an item. I also didn't think of having two different spin attacks. From the videos, it looks like those spin attacks will be pretty darn good in game. Sonic looks like he could end up being a pretty high tier character.

AMUSIX

Date of Lies said:
I think leaving the spring board there for other characters to use makes the game just a LITTLE bit too wacky for my tastes.
Yeah, the four-way fight involving a monkey, a princess, a dinosaur, and a pink marshmallow wasn't wacky at all.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Wasn't his homing attack in the trailer?
Possible, I don't remember that though. I'm just trying to point out there's still one part of his moveset that we don't know about. It could easily be the homing attack.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
SuperAngelo64 said:
So I don't get it. His Side B and Up B are pretty much the same thing.

Looks like his Down B is for the stationary charge. (You know, the one in his games that whirWhirWHIIIRSSSS up :lol )

While the side B you run and roll up into

Gaborn

Dark Ninja said:
They only show sonic fighting mario in todays update its like their trying to start a rivalry between them or something

I wonder why. It's not like there's any history between the two of people arguing about which is better... :lol

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
Man it seems like quite a few characters can get some serious freakin' AIR this time around !
Makes me really happy. I spend almost all my time in the air anyway. :D

Pringo said:
We've gotten a few updates about a character the day after they're revealed haven't we?
Actually, only for Pit, Zelda (if music counts), Bowser, Ike, and now Sonic.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tomorrow will be Final Smash, just watch

Dark Ninja said:
They only show sonic fighting mario in todays update its like their trying to start a rivalry between them or something
Start? :lol

Zeed

Banned
I want to see a lot of high level professional tournament matches culminating in a Mario VS Sonic showdown. Oh yeah.

Gaborn

Jiggy37 said:
Makes me really happy. I spend almost all my time in the air anyway. :D

Actually, only for Pit, Zelda (if music counts), Bowser, Ike, and now Sonic.

Archive says Snake as well, is it accurate? or were the special moves revealed at the same time as his character?

Pringo

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
This is starting to get regular, almost. Wario's motorcycle can be used, Diddy's final smash shoots peanuts that can be eaten, Diddy's barrel rockets can be knocked off...
Hehe. I think Sakurai's just trying to piss off the no items crowd.

ohamsie

Hmm, so what's the difference between Spin dash and spin charge? I am not as well versed in Sonic the Hedgehog lore as perhaps I should be.

Sonic: Special Moves

The original Sonic the Hedgehog game used only one button. I think its simple yet exhilarating play was its virtue.

And given that this game’s controls are also simple, I think it personifies his distinct characteristics.

<Side Special Move: Spin Dash>
sonic_071011a-l.jpg

Yeah, you have to have this.

Hop into a supersonic Spin Dash. If you charge it up just a bit, your speed will increase.

It&#8217;s also possible to rise up while spinning.
sonic_071011b-l.jpg

Spin Dash, jump. A two-hit combo.
sonic_071011c-l.jpg

Then keep pursuing with a midair attack!
sonic_071011d-l.jpg

And do a Spin Dash in midair to return.

That, too?

<Down Special Move: Spin Charge>

By holding the Control Stick down and tapping the special-move button, you charge up your spin and do a Spin Dash. This may feel better for some&#8212;there&#8217;s no pop.
sonic_071011e-l.jpg

KEEEEEEEEEE!

<Up Special Move: Spring Jump>

And his up special move is the Spring Jump. That spring launches you wayyy up in the air.
sonic_071011f-l.jpg

That&#8217;s high!

You might not use it on the ground much, but rumor has it that if you do, the spring that remains can be used by other characters.
sonic_071011g-l.jpg

Ah! It&#8217;s true.

Jiggy

Gaborn said:
Archive says Snake as well, is it accurate? or were the special moves revealed at the same time as his character?
Same-day stuff came for Pokemon Trainer, Snake, and Sonic. (Talking about related updates in general, not just moves.)

MrCheez

Isle Delfino is lookin' real nice.

Skyworld looks like fun, but I'm not crazy about the texture of the clouds... The way they fade off into the background looks nice, but up close they look funky to me :/

Melee was just very well balanced and a serious fighting game if you turned off items and played on uniform maps.

I didn't mean wacky as in style, I meant wacky as in way too wacky fighting mechanics. Too random-y.

EDIT: is there any difference between spin-dashing using B+down and B+side?

Zeed

Banned
On that note, we're set to surpass the pesky Halo 3 thread tonight. I'll probably be asleep when it happens, but here's a preemptive celebration guys! WOOO! Longest thread on GAF ever!!!

MrCheez

Date of Lies said:
Melee was just very well balanced and a serious fighting game if you turned off items and played on uniform maps.

I didn't mean wacky as in style, I meant wacky as in way too wacky fighting mechanics. Too random-y.

Some of these new elements are rather wacky, but not necessarily random. The Sonic player knows when he uses the spring jump on the ground he might give the other player an advantage. He has to use it strategically.

Same with the other player, if he watches out for the spring he can utilize it to his own benefit.

It's not like every character is going to have different moves to use every match. Everyone still has their set abilities.

Tristam

Firestorm said:
Sakurai said that emphasis will be placed on aerial battles this time around.

As a Marth player and a pretty adept juggler (if I do say so myself!), I couldn't be more happy about this direction.

Oh, and Sonic is just incredible. Maybe a new primary char for me in lieu of Marth the Missing?

Koomaster

Wasn't there also a thing about using characters heads as spring-boards and esentially smashing them downwards with your jump. Man, I could see many Sonic players abusing this, lure someone to jump on your spring, and as you fall down jump on there heads smashing them down back to the spring and back and forth and back and forth. I honestly hope it works like that as that would be hilarious. :lol

MrCheez

Tristam said:
Maybe a new primary char for me in lieu of Marth the Missing?

Marth is returning, worry not!

Even if the new DS remake of Fire Emblem 1 starring him wasn't coming out, his chances would still be super high.

In fact, I stick by what I've said since day 1: Every character with a unique moveset will return (Double so when they are the main (or classic) mascot of a franchise)

Jiggy

Whatever the case turns out to be as far as ranking in terms of competitive tiers--and I reiterate my earlier position that fast characters are almost guaranteed to be very high or even at the top, as proven by Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Fox, so I believe Sonic will be very strong in the tier list--I can't wait to see the fanboy wars that ensue between Mario/Sonic/Snake being "objectively" better than each other in the game.

Zeed

Banned
MrCheez said:
In fact, I stick by what I've said since day 1: Every character with a unique moveset will very likely return. (Double so when they are the main (or classic) mascot of a franchise)
NESSSSSSSS

Tristam

Jiggy37 said:
Whatever the case turns out to be as far as ranking in terms of competitive tiers--and I reiterate my earlier position that fast characters are almost guaranteed to be very high or even at the top, as proven by Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Fox, so I believe Sonic will be very strong in the tier list--I can't wait to see the fanboy wars that ensue between Mario/Sonic/Snake being "objectively" better than each other in the game.

Oh well, even if Mario loses out, he can still claim being featured in the best game out of the three!

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
In fact, I stick by what I've said since day 1: Every character with a unique moveset will return (Double so when they are the main (or classic) mascot of a franchise)
Cosigned. There's no good reason to remove movesets that were already made and proven, except possibly for moving them over to an identical character.

Edit:
Tristam said:
Oh well, even if Mario loses out, he can still claim being featured in the best game out of the three!
Heh. Pretty much. >_>

grandjedi6

Date of Lies said:

EDIT: is there any difference between spin-dashing using B+down and B+side?

The Spin Dash attack allows Sonic to spin in place before taking off at high speeds from a stationary start. The other move just has sonic roll up in a ball and roll around attacking

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:

I'm hoping Mario gets a good buff this go-round for this very reason :lol

I don't want to hear about how Sonic owns him all the time...

Kandinsky

Zeed said:
On that note, we're set to surpass the pesky Halo 3 thread tonight. I'll probably be asleep when it happens, but here's a preemptive celebration guys! WOOO! Longest thread on GAF ever!!!
I almost wish a mod restarts this thread, its getting annoying/silly :/

almost!

MrCheez

Zeed said:

I am so proud of us :)

Reactions: m00

grandjedi6

Kandinsky said:
I almost wish a mod restarts this thread, its getting annoying/silly :/

almost!

Like they did with the Halo 3 thread? :lol

Seriously who cares which thread is the biggest

Dreavus

Jiggy37 said:
Cosigned. There's no good reason to remove movesets that were already made and proven, except possibly for moving them over to an identical character.

I hope you two are right... Mewtwo had better make his come back! Despite being terrible competitively in Melee, he's way too much fun in four-player matches to be left out.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
I'm hoping Mario gets a good buff this go-round for this very reason :lol

I don't want to hear about how Sonic owns him all the time...
On the other hand, if Yoshi's egg rolling and Jigglypuff's Rollout prove anything, it's that at high levels of play these kinds of moves don't really work...
Come to think of it, Mario could cape Sonic as he's Spin Dashing. Might make for some hilarity in the average player's game. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom