• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Gahiggidy said:
Anyone else a little perturbed that there has been no sign of the Pikmin franchise yet?

There was a Bulborb in amongst the trophies, but that's it. Still, it means they acknowledge the existence of the series.

mclem said:
There was a Bulborb in amongst the trophies, but that's it. Still, it means they acknowledge the existence of the series.

Well, there were Pikmin trophies in SSBM, as well.
Still, I think at least a Pikmin stage would be cool.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I don't doubt that the individuals will get credited, but I'm curious about the team. Is it even worth crediting if it's just going to be dissolved after SSBB? Is it going to be dissolved after SSBB in the first place?
The dev team certainly has talent, whatever it is. Even if it's all Sakurai's vision, they've done a visibly fantastic job of realizing it. If it does get dissolved, I hope they find new jobs at Nintendo. Personally I hope Nintendo puts them straight to work on, say, SSBDS.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'll mention it again. Whoever the 'secret team' was for Brawl don't have their name in the credits. Under the development title it's still Hal Labs, it seems.

Nintendo is listing Nintendo as the developer. Not HAL Labs. There is no "secret team" making this game. Infact, it it a documented potpourri of staff being thrown together just for the development of the game. That is why there is no official name for this group. The only secret is some unnamed developer (obviously someone in the Nintendo family) who joined the team to round up the 50+ staffers working on the projet.

After the game is over. The entities will part ways. Iwata's hirees will most likely join the Super Mario Galaxy team.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Zeed said:
I hope Nintendo puts them straight to work on, say, SSBDS.

God I hope not, I ll take a new franchise over any sequel, anytime. People need to work on different things or they get suicidal, stagnant and depressed.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It says Nintendo/Hal Labs at the startup. Just like Melee/64.

It's because of the copyright. Technically they are also using the engine, and there are a few HAL members on the team. Sakurai made it seem like less than a handful. But the logo most likely shall remain to at least respect the roots.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
The dev team certainly has talent, whatever it is. Even if it's all Sakurai's vision, they've done a visibly fantastic job of realizing it. If it does get dissolved, I hope they find new jobs at Nintendo. Personally I hope Nintendo puts them straight to work on, say, SSBDS.
Personally, I hope they'll make an SSB using 2D sprites that look like AbyssWolf's art. But I figure it'll never happen. :(

Raging Spaniard said:
God I hope not, I ll take a new franchise over any sequel, anytime. People need to work on different things or they get suicidal, stagnant and depressed.
They were put together just for SSBB, though; there's nothing to say they're bored of Smash yet. And also the team is loaded up with people who enjoyed the gameplay of the series, so I don't think they'd necessarily have a problem with making another SSB.
Maybe not right away, though.

Zeed

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
I want Sakurai to finish Kirby Wii after Brawl, and then after that, start SSBDS.
I'm almost certain that Sakurai's going to go off to do other things after Brawl. He left Nintendo for a reason. Who knows what company might rope him in now, and for what project? The possibilities are endless.

I'd just laugh if Sony manages to convince him to do something for them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shikamaru Ninja said:
It's because of the copyright. Technically they are also using the engine, and there are a few HAL members on the team. Sakurai made it seem like less than a handful. But the logo most likely shall remain to at least respect the roots.

I still don't know why Nintendo would want to keep such a team secretive if they're all Nintendo employees, or even contract workers.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
I'm almost certain that Sakurai's going to go off to do other things after Brawl. He left Nintendo for a reason. Who knows what company might rope him in now, and for what project? The possibilities are endless.

As long as it was a PSP project, I wouldn't mind. Wouldn't want to buy a PS3 just for LBP, SSHD, and Sakurai Game. :(

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I still don't know why Nintendo would want to keep such a team secretive if they're all Nintendo employees, or even contract workers

Iwata, Miyamoto, Miki (Nintendo)
Ishihara (The Pokemon Company)
Tsura (HAL)
Sakurai (Sora) (Nintendo/HAL)
20+ New Staffers from Smash Recruit Nintendo (Nintendo)
"a couple members from the original team who live in Tokyo" (HAL)
"secret company who was recommended by Miyamoto" (Secret)
Musicians (Nintendo, Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom, Wavemaster etc)
Special Assistants (Eiji Aonuma, Hideo Kojima, Yoshiaki Koizumi, etc)

The core of the team is mixed. Let alone the entire creditted staff.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
SO is anyone else thinking about trying to cut back on their Dojo obsession now that the game is delayed?

I mean... I've been freaking obsessed with this game for over 2 months now. (Of course I've loved the series for years and of course I've anticipated this game for a long long time, but it wasn't until the Dojo started that I had Brawl on the brain every freaking day!)

I could have easily stayed in full-gear hype mode until December 3rd... but now that we've got another 2 months AFTER that to wait... it just seems like so long now. Our countdown went from 50-something days to over 100 days. I'm starting to think that for my own sanity I need to stop thinking about Brawl so much and concentrate on other things... :p (This will probably make the time seem to go by quicker, anyway!)

Maybe I'll just check the Dojo once a week for awhile... I do love the community in this thread, though, so that too makes it hard... counting down every night and speculating everything to death is a blast...

HMMMMMM what do do what to do

Zeed said:

I'm sure Sakurai could be convinced to come back. All Nintendo has to do is make accommodations for him! And on top of that, Kirby Wii is pretty late in development.

I wouldn't even mind if all SSBDS was a remake of SSB with extra levels and characters (like, add Wario, Peach, Mewtwo, Bowser, Zelda, Meta Knight, Pit, and Mega Man).

But I'd also love to see Meteos 2, with online play, alternate holding-styles (both Meteos and Disney Magic styles), TON of unlockables (maybe Kirby cameos?), etc.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
SO is anyone else thinking about trying to cut back on their Dojo obsession now that the game is delayed?
I thought about it, then realized three seconds later that I'd probably fail if I tried to cut back anyway. >_>

On that note, here are some semi-random statistics.

Number of update days: 104
Number of updates: ~122-125

Total character profiles: 22
Total character movies: 2
Total character final smashes: 12
Total character special moves: 11 (Meta Knight counted)
Combined character updates: 47
Trivia: A profile every 4.7 days on average, or every ~5.6 updates; character updates in general account for ~38% of all Dojo updates

Total stages: 13
Trivia: A stage every 8 days on average, or every 9.5 updates; stages account for ~10.5% of Dojo updates

Total items: 10 (Homerun Bat, Mr. Saturn, Lip's Stick, Maxim Tomato, etc. not counted)
Total assist trophies: 9 (Lakitu counted)
Total Poke Ball Pokemon: 5
Combined items: 24
Trivia: An item of some sort every 4.3 days on average, or every ~5.1 updates; items account for ~19.4% of Dojo updates

Total Smash 101/techniques updates: 11

Total game modes: 8
Total story mode updates: 7
Combined game mode updates: 15

Total music updates: 13 (Cooking Navi counted)
Trivia: Music every 8 days on average, or every 9.5 updates; music accounts for ~10.5% of Dojo updates

Total notices: 3

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
I thought about it, then realized three seconds later that I'd probably fail if I tried to cut back anyway. >_>

Trivia: A profile every 4.7 days on average, or every ~5.6 updates; character updates in general account for ~38% of all Dojo updates

Trivia: A stage every 8 days on average, or every 9.5 updates; stages account for ~10.5% of Dojo updates

Total items: 10 (Homerun Bat, Mr. Saturn, Lip's Stick, Maxim Tomato, etc. not counted)
Trivia: An item of some sort every 4.3 days on average, or every ~5.1 updates; items account for ~19.4% of Dojo updates

Trivia: Music every 8 days on average, or every 9.5 updates; music accounts for ~10.5% of Dojo updates

Jiggy, you continue to both impress and slightly frighten me with your skill with and devotion to statistics.

Next week had better be spectacular to make up for the delay.

Edit: Up until the Dojo started, I had no idea who Sakurai is. Now, when I look back, he's responsible for some of the best games I've ever played. I've retroactively developed a lot of respect for the man now.

Firestorm

I learned of Sakurai from reading an N-Sider article or something detailing his leave from HAL.

I don't want them to make an SSB DS at all. I don't see the point of one. At least not a fighter. If they want to do a crossover game I could see myself liking that, but an inferior version of SSB isn't something that appeals to me.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
I learned of Sakurai from reading an N-Sider article or something detailing his leave from HAL.

I don't want them to make an SSB DS at all. I don't see the point of one. At least not a fighter. If they want to do a crossover game I could see myself liking that, but an inferior version of SSB isn't something that appeals to me.
Was it Zeed who was calling for an SSB Tactics? Whoever it was, it's a great idea and I'd love to see it happen. Or even just a traditional RPG.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Was it Zeed who was calling for an SSB Tactics?
Yeah it was me. I'm really looking forward to what Sakurai does with the storyline in Subspace Emissary. The way these characters interact can be made truly epic if IntSys gets their hands on it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sakurai really, REALLY wants to make new, original games guys, why don't you want him to? Don't you like him? I can tell you from working on various Tiger Woods games, franchise fatigue hits fast, early and viciously.

Firestorm

Raging Spaniard said:
Sakurai really,REALLY wants to make new, original games guys, why dont you want him to? Dont you like him? I can tell you from working on various Tiger Woods games, franmchise fatigue hits fast, early and viciously.

I'm not talking about Sakurai doing an SSB SRPG or something. I mean someone else. I fully expect Sakurai to do something for another company next. He left HAL and Nintendo for a reason.

MisterHero

Firestorm said:

I agree, there's nothing special in a DS Smash Bros. and it would likely detract from Brawl/Wii's sales.

Import Jump/Ultimate Stars if you really want that kind of gameplay on DS that badly.

As for TOSE, I heard that Nintendo/Sega actually had them helping on Mario/Sonic Olympics.

But we know that Sakurai's team is made up with members of HAL, EAD, and "The Studio" that 'recently finished a major game' at the time of Smash Bros.' announcement. For all we know it could be Monolith, which Nintendo just bought. Having 'finished a major game' would suggest that "The Studio" is actually a whole team rather than talent brought together for the game. It might not mean anything anymore, but maybe identifying this 'major game' would help identify 'The Studio'.

It could be Sega, Konami, Capcom, who knows?

Kojima provided his input on Snake's game presence including his level designs, Brawl has F-Zero GX assets (F-zero cars/characters) and not to mention SONIC, we've yet to see anything from Capcom.

I'll go with Yakuza.

Firestorm said:

Psh

I like to go on the bus a lot, so I want SSB pocket.

Sakurai could make it great.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
Yeah it was me. I'm really looking forward to what Sakurai does with the storyline in Subspace Emissary. The way these characters interact can be made truly epic if IntSys gets their hands on it.
I don't know that the characters would be what make it... too many of them can't or wouldn't even talk. Mario, Link, probably Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong...
But the gameplay would be incredible no doubt.

Iam Canadian

A portable Smash should do something that can't or hasn't been done on the console versions.

Jiggy37 said:
I don't know that the characters would be what make it... too many of them can't or wouldn't even talk. Mario, Link, probably Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong...
But the gameplay would be incredible no doubt.

I don't know...while I'm sure the gameplay will be incredible, Sakurai has said that the Subspace Emissary is going to emphasize character development. I'm sure he can make it work even with the mute characters. After all, a character doesn't always have to speak for us to get an idea of what's going on in their head.

Besides, there are characters that don't talk, but there are also characters like Sonic that talk entirely too much.

Zeed said:

so basically a SRW style game with Nintendo characters? I can see that, kind of.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
I don't know...while I'm sure the gameplay will be incredibly, Sakurai has said that the Subspace Emissary is going to emphasize character development. I'm sure he can make it work even with the mute characters. After all, a character doesn't always have to speak for us to get an idea of what's going on in their heads.

Besides, there are characters that don't talk, but there are also characters like Sonic that talk entirely too much.
I was talking about what Intelligent Systems could do with the Nintendo universe in an RPG. IS tends to rely almost exclusively on dialogue for character development, which might end up being a problem.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I was talking about what Intelligent Systems could do with the Nintendo universe in an RPG. IS tends to rely almost exclusively on dialogue for character development, which might end up being a problem.

Ah. I fail at reading comprehension today. >_<

MisterHero

Jiggy37 said:
In that case I'd hand dialogue writing to Shigesato Itoi. Mother 3 actually has some great dramatic moments through sprite animation despite its basic aesthetic in screenshots.

But he probably wouldn't want to do it, so someone's going to have to hold him at gunpoint. D=

Diablohead said:
Friends do that? i'd rightfully kick them out the house for being like a little kid if they kept doing that :(
I'm making them out to be worse then they are, but after around 5-6 hrs of play and them getting wooped I can understand, a little. :lol

Firestorm

A Link to the Snitch said:
Psh

I like to go on the bus a lot, so I want SSB pocket.

Sakurai could make it great.

I bus + skytrain an hour to school and an hour back. But that's not the ideal environment for a multiplayer game... And single player Smash would last me maybe a week. Not only that, Sakurai wouldn't want to do it anyway.

Dr.Hadji

MisterHero said:
I agree, there's nothing special in a DS Smash Bros. and it would likely detract from Brawl/Wii's sales.

Import Jump/Ultimate Stars if you really want that kind of gameplay on DS that badly.

As for TOSE, I heard that Nintendo/Sega actually had them helping on Mario/Sonic Olympics.

But we know that Sakurai's team is made up with members of HAL, EAD, and "The Studio" that 'recently finished a major game' at the time of Smash Bros.' announcement. For all we know it could be Monolith, which Nintendo just bought. Having 'finished a major game' would suggest that "The Studio" is actually a whole team rather than talent brought together for the game. It might not mean anything anymore, but maybe identifying this 'major game' would help identify 'The Studio'.

It could be Sega, Konami, Capcom, who knows?

Kojima provided his input on Snake's game presence including his level designs, Brawl has F-Zero GX assets (F-zero cars/characters) and not to mention SONIC, we've yet to see anything from Capcom.

I'll go with Yakuza.

Too bad Jump Super/Ultimate Stars kinda sucks.

Smash DS could be awesome in the right hands. Don't assume it would be a watered down version of Brawl. Think Phantom Hourglass or Kirby Canvas Curse. They're completely unique and they can hold their own against console counterparts.

Dr.Hadji said:

Yeah... no.

Jump Ultimate Stars rivals Smash Bros. in my book.

And I hate anime.

It is just a fun game to play.

Also:

It seems I can't view any images hosted by photobucket. Several of you have no avatars on my screen :[

Cruceh

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:

Smash DS could be awesome in the right hands. Don't assume it would be a watered down version of Brawl. Think Phantom Hourglass or Kirby Canvas Curse. They're completely unique and they can hold their own against console counterparts.
No it doesn't. It's horribly broken, but it's a good game.

MisterHero

Dr.Hadji said:

Brawl is Sakurai's dream project. Ideally, it WOULD do well in the right hands, but those hands are Sakurai's and he's doing what he wants in Brawl. Even Iwata acknowledged it as such.

If Pocket Smash is truly unique probably wouldn't be Smash at all. If it's the same I don't doubt it would hold its own, but I'm actually worried that it would outdo Brawl or at the very least interrupt its potential success (along with the Wii's success itself).

Though playing Brawl with the NES/Wiimote config might give Sakurai ideas for a DS version...

But I think a different genre, like Zeed suggested, would be a great idea to explore. Maybe just a side-scroller side-story, or an RPG side-story. If Sakurai has his way though, Brawl might have the end-all, be-all story.

SuperAngelo said:
And I hate anime.

The manga is always better. JUMP (as in Shonen Jump) has it covered. :p

I wonder if Nintendo could actually get untangle all the US rights to get Jump Stars published over here.

MisterHero said:
Brawl is Sakurai's dream project. Ideally, it WOULD do well in the right hands, but those hands are Sakurai's and he's doing what he wants in Brawl. Even Iwata acknowledged it as such.

If Pocket Smash is truly unique probably wouldn't be Smash at all. If it's the same I don't doubt it would hold its own, but I'm actually worried that it would outdo Brawl or at the very least interrupt its potential success (along with the Wii's success itself).

Though playing Brawl with the NES/Wiimote config might give Sakurai ideas for a DS version...

But I think a different genre, like Zeed suggested, would be a great idea to explore. Maybe just a side-scroller side-story, or an RPG side-story. If Sakurai has his way though, Brawl might have the end-all, be-all story.

Is there a rumor of a portable Smash that I missed, or is this conjecture? Personally, I would doubt that a portable smash would be released any time soon.

Getting Jump over here would be fun, but I doubt Nintendo would go through the hassle. After all, it'd only be the states and Europe that they'd be selling to, and set that against the cost of getting the rights from the different companies that own them... Still, I'd like to play jump translated.

Zeed

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Is there a rumor of a portable Smash that I missed, or is this conjecture? Personally, I would doubt that a portable smash would be released any time soon.
Pure conjecture, of course. It probably won't happen, but we can always dream.

Like I dream of Super Smash Bros. Tactics.

Mmmmm.

Jiggy37 said:

Once again Jiggy, nice f'n job! :D

Firestorm

Cruceh said:
No it doesn't. It's horribly broken, but it's a good game.

sanji.jpg

MisterHero said:
I wonder if Nintendo could actually get untangle all the US rights to get Jump Stars published over here.

I think it would be awesome if in the next JUMP game there were unlockable koma for Nintendo characters. It's not like Nintendo couldn't do it.

That would appease my portable Smash needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom