• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

What's wrong with 12 years? Looks legit.

Trailer irked the hell out of me, but i didn't want to dismiss the movie w/o proper context. I hadn't read the book, so I'd look like an ass pre-judging because i didn't know the whole story.

then I saw that there was a version of the movie done in the 80's with Avery Brooks playing the Ejiofor character. I watched the whole thing, and it's available on netflix for anybody who cares.

The new movie might better acted, and looked a whole lot better, but the movie is still the same movie with same messaging.

I do not like the messaging of this movie.

It was obvious in the trailer, but w/o seeing it, I was speaking from ignorance.

Seeing the movie made my fears for the movie, real.

It will be incredibly well acted and look sharp.

But this movie is ass. I'll get into more detail when the movie drops as I really don't want to color people's perceptions. However, I find the movie offensive.

I also didn't like Django, so my opinion can likely be tossed right out the water for most guys.

DominoKid

BCT fam, Naomi's new outfit on Night of Champions was on point.

tumblr_mt77vftfZj1rd2v8mo1_500.jpg

Trailer irked the hell out of me, but i didn't want to dismiss the movie w/o proper context. I hadn't read the book, so I'd look like an ass pre-judging because i didn't know the whole story.

then I saw that there was a version of the movie done in the 80's with Avery Brooks playing the Ejiofor character. I watched the whole thing, and it's available on netflix for anybody who cares.

The new movie might better acted, and looked a whole lot better, but the movie is still the same movie with same messaging.

I do not like the messaging of this movie.

It was obvious in the trailer, but w/o seeing it, I was speaking from ignorance.

Seeing the movie made my fears for the movie, real.

It will be incredibly well acted and look sharp.

But this movie is ass. I'll get into more detail when the movie drops as I really don't want to color people's perceptions. However, I find the movie offensive.

I also didn't like Django, so my opinion can likely be tossed right out the water for most guys.

I know your going to be in the minority on this so you might as well let it all out, so we can all point an laugh.

J10

Banned
Reminds me of that old joke: I haven't been kissed in so long I'm starting to enjoy the feeling of my own tongue in my mouth.

Imm0rt4l

Man, I was walking downtown 2 nights ago after fight night and some random motherfucker shoulders me very purposefully. He not only walked into my direction just to do it, but I was actually trying to help make room for him by swaying out the way. I immediately look back, and of course he's looking back at me to assess whether or not my heart pumps kool aid and this was in front of a police car...downtown las vegas.

Keep it movin'....
nigga moment.....

Nigga moment

kyored

Man, I was walking downtown 2 nights ago after fight night and some random motherfucker shoulders me very purposefully. He not only walked into my direction just to do it, but I was actually trying to help make room for him by swaying out the way. I immediately look back, and of course he's looking back at me to assess whether or not my heart pumps kool aid and this was in front of a police car...downtown las vegas.

Keep it movin'....
nigga moment.....

Nigga moment

Was he light-skin?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Keep it movin'....
nigga moment.....

Nigga moment
I know idiots who try and start shit like that on purpose with the biggest guy in the room just to prove themselves or something. Guy probably wanted to seem hard but knew full well the cop car was there to bail him out if he got his card pulled.

Holy Shit @the Gamespot GTA 5 review comment section. Its a Pandoras Box of WTF. I feel bad for her because anything less than a 10 was going to draw out the knuckle heads, bringing up completely irrelevant topics.

Tokubetsu

Gamers don't even wait for a month to pass to let the backlash out. It starts the minute reviews hit. Pretty sure there are gamers with "The Last of Us 7.5" tattoed on their chest. Just so they never forget.

I know your going to be in the minority on this so you might as well let it all out, so we can all point an laugh.

Lol. Yep. Prolly.

thought process:

1. I really REALLY like Ejiofor. Fine actor. Redbelt sealed it for me. Steve McQueen seems to be dat new hotness, i guess. Nice enough guy in interviews. Shame was cool. John Ridley on screenplay duties. Movie has a helluva cast, looks gorgeous, but i'm tired of slavetainment. Dunno why a brit director and brit lead are telling a very personal story about a uniquely African American experience, but fuck it. Curious, but hella hella cautious...

2. (watching trailer). Y'know, I'm *seeing* this dude who's getting along pretty well for a dude that just got ripped from his family and sold into slavery after being a free man as an adult. That's odd. Mighty civil. Different strokes, I guess, but this doesn't feel right. I mean, this ninja doesn't have the scheming or anger or ANYTHING in his eyes. Not even that simmering intelligence and cunning. He seems strangely content...

3. ...wait..wait..WAIT. Did that ninja give the "I'm just tryna survive speech?? Word?? These quotes that they're choosing are kinda saccharine, man. "if you wanna survive, do and say as little as possible." He singing that 'I will rise, my spirit is free type shit...". Wait, some more "I will survive till' freedom is opportunity"...hold hold hold up...save for Brad Pitt (executive producer), he has been punked by every white dude in this trailer. Even fake Rhino, that dude from SIDEWAYS. This ninja got PROPERLY emasculated in this joint, but we'll see...

4. Alright. Trailer stopped. Maybe i'm too old school and militant. Might be bringing too much baggage. "Hey Wife (who is the opposite of militant. A cali woman who'd rather watch Scandal than give an EFF about Spike Lee)...watch this."
(Shows trailer) "What did you think about this? Did you feel any kinda way?" (Long pause). "I really don't like Slavery movies, but this seems okay, I guess. I don't get why he seems kinda happy. Didn't they say he was taken from his wife and kids? It looks like he's kinda okay. What's up with that?" Hard not to pre-judge. Don't know the whole story...

5. My friend, Los, on No Apologies Podcast turned me onto "NightJohn" by Charles Burnett. It's a TV movie from 1996 about a slavery. One of the finest movies on the subject I've ever seen. Powerful with characters that were realistic. Even the slave masters. Dignity. Manhood. Sacrifice. One of my favorite movies now, right along with Devil in a Blue Dress.
Watched it. Loved it. Prolly a mistake before legally watching...

6. Solomon Northrup's Odyssey: 12 Years a Slave online.

7. Oh HELL Naw. So this movie has it ALL. This obedient, happy to please - nay - EAGER to please ninja was the ultimate sell out. This ninja only knew ONE thing, had one mantra throughout this movie. Unspoken: I'm better than these other cats, and if i work hard enough, they're gonna see it. He wasn't trying to be part of their community, wasn't trying to uplift in ANY way. This educated dude cared SOLEY for himself and for his new huggable baby boo. The lure of the poon was too great. In fact, this ninja was SOOOOOOOO good at pleasing and 'surviving' that he was eventually promoted to OVERSEER. He'd fight other 'thug' ninjas instead of helping or even trying to really communicate with them, and brushed off the advice of the sagely old negro who, basically, was a lifelong slave that 'won' by being old, loyal, and getting his own place where he could fish all day. He probably won't be in the new movie. Haven't seen him in the trailers. This is the old dude that tells him that fighting his brother man is whack, and that he expected better from him. I'll be shocked if that's kept intact. It was minor anyway.

8. Northrup only advances through the kindness of good white folks. Evil white men are obviously EEEEEEEViiiiiiiiLLLLLLLL, so it's pretty easy to see the difference. No nuances, here, my friend. That's safe. The good guys are so good, that you wonder why there's slavery at all. I would argue that the new movie has better acting and more nuance (avery brooks is pretty fucking atrocious here), but with all the melodrama of the trailer and early reports of salty tears, something tells me...maybe not.

9. Northrup is released, not through his determination to escape but because of the efforts of his longtime white friend that he grew up with. His ceaseless compassion and connections free him after 12 years with pomp and righteous indignation! together, they tell the EEEEEEEViiiiiilLLLLLLL slavers off! His old friend tells him to write a book about his experiences as they ride off back to the freedom and the family that he knew before. Basically, he can shake this slave shit off.

10. But not before the final speech. Paraphrasing. "Man, my bad. I wish I could save all of you homies. I wish you had a get outta jail card like me. I had a magic white guy in my pocket. Man, it sucks to be you and I'm never gonna forget this. It's gonna take me a while to shake this shit off, maybe a few months or a few years, but i"m never gonna forget you or my experiences here. Survive, though. I gotta get mine, you gotta get yours. Deuces. - Free Ninja...again!"

Roll credits. Hooray Hollywood. Feed me Seymour, feed me.

I meant i lost most of my weekend to it. Haven't had that much fun in GTA since San Andreas.

Watching the gameplay at the office all week. The game is hot. Had to suppress my knee jerk reaction to the amount of 'niggas' between Franklin and the homie because everything in the game is greatly exaggerated satire, but not in an asshole way like QT used it in Django. Then again, I'm a Rockstar stan, so yeah..

It's like reading a Spike Lee movie review.

..and a Spike Lee stan.

First say nigga or not at all, ninja is some weak sauce.

Second if my memory serves me right your synopsis seems to go along with what happened. He was saved through the help of white people. Did you want him to rise up and kill all the slave owners?

Like Django :p

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
10. But not before the final speech. Paraphrasing. "Man, my bad. I wish I could save all of you homies. I wish you had a get outta jail card like me. I had a magic white guy in my pocket. Man, it sucks to be you and I'm never gonna forget this. It's gonna take me a while to shake this shit off, maybe a few months or a few years, but i"m never gonna forget you or my experiences here. Survive, though. I gotta get mine, you gotta get yours. Deuces. - Free Ninja...again!"

Roll credits. Hooray Hollywood. Feed me Seymour, feed me.
This was a great rant and I can't really fault you on any of those points. Quoted is on point and hilarious.

I should probably put this into context.

Django: cartoonishly violent 'slave revenge' movie where all of Jamie's power comes from his white friend, the benevolent Dr. King Schultz. Schultz provides the 'solution' to the question that most liberal white guys love to ask,"Why didn't the blacks just rise up and free themselves?" The evil whites were, of course fiendishly evil, and the blacks were sooooo righteous. Gotcha. What was the purpose of the mandingo fight scene again? Or the uncomfortable Kerry Washington heat tank nude scene again? Or detailed scene with the dogs tearing the runaway slave apart scene again? I love how Django opens the cage with the angry black slave guys after they just watched him annihilate their captors, and they're so confused that they don't know what to do. Solution: They stay in the cage. We cut away before their decision.

12 Years: See above.

Nightjohn: Nuances in both the white and black characters. There's a realistic community here and we understand how the slave trade operated. It was mean, sure, but it was business and there were humans with fears on both sides of the color line. The ultimate solution didn't come from guns, but through education and continuing the legacy of community. Our hero, Nightjohn, didn't have a gun. He was whipped and beaten and MAD AS FUCK, but still did his job, but you wouldn't break him. His demise is really powerful, but what he was there to do with the other slaves was even more important. The thing that he passes on puts everything into perspective and empowers those willing to be brave enough to utilize it. Also, the movie never demonized the slaves who WEREN'T on the same page as John. Fear from ignorance was a powerful tool. Even the white slavers were interesting because you begin to understand why the system worked in the way that it did. Fascinating movie lost to the ages.

First say nigga or not at all, ninja is some weak sauce.

Second if my memory serves me right your synopsis seems to go along with what happened. He was saved through the help of white people. Did you want him to rise up and kill all the slave owners?

Like Django :p

Ninja's fine for me in mixed company.
Nope, didn't want him to kill all the white slavers. That would be absurd. Like Django ;)

If you're going to show me a realistic, dramatic movie that is apparently making all these liberal folks cry, then show me a movie about the complete BREAKING of a good man. Show me that deconstruction in all of its ugliness. Show me how he falls and the inevitable creation of an Overseer. How do you become THAT ninja? That's horrible and worthy of tears. That when your boy finally comes, you're barely the man you were when you entered because your destruction was so absolute and complete. THAT would be some interesting shit.

or.

Show me a movie about a man who will not yield. Show me a movie about a man who builds in that community and strengthens that community with his FREE MAN KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION. Whether he lives or dies is inconsequential. It's the legacy that matters. I guess that's NightJohn. Show me THAT shit.

but DO NOT SHOW ME...

Some shit where it's all about keep your head low, ignore the man next to you, be better than everyone else, be emasculated, please who you gotta please to survive, then when you make it to the top, try not to forget the little people who didn't have the same opportunities as you. Do NOT make this messaging the shit that Brad Pitt and numerous Hollywood heavyweights co-sign as oscar bait.

Because THAT shit can miss me.

JohnDoe

Banned
Holy Shit @the Gamespot GTA 5 review comment section. Its a Pandoras Box of WTF. I feel bad for her because anything less than a 10 was going to draw out the knuckle heads, bringing up completely irrelevant topics.

Reviewer who has played the game calls out misogyny. Gives the game a score of fucking 9.
Fans who haven't played shit bash reviewer and deny misogyny without knowing the content of the game.

Says a lot about "gamers".

I should probably put this into context.

Django: cartoonishly violent 'slave revenge' movie where all of Jamie's power comes from his white friend, the benevolent Dr. King Schultz. Schultz provides the 'solution' to the question that most liberal white guys love to ask,"Why didn't the blacks just rise up and free themselves?" The evil whites were, of course fiendishly evil, and the blacks were sooooo righteous. Gotcha. What was the purpose of the mandingo fight scene again? Or the uncomfortable Kerry Washington heat tank nude scene again? Or detailed scene with the dogs tearing the runaway slave apart scene again? I love how Django opens the cage with the angry black slave guys after they just watched him annihilate their captors, and they're so confused that they don't know what to do. Solution: They stay in the cage. We cut away before their decision.

12 Years: See above.

Nightjohn: Nuances in both the white and black characters. There's a realistic community here and we understand how the slave trade operated. It was mean, sure, but it was business and there were humans with fears on both sides of the color line. The ultimate solution didn't come from guns, but through education and continuing the legacy of community. Our hero, Nightjohn, didn't have a gun. He was whipped and beaten and MAD AS FUCK, but still did his job, but you wouldn't break him. His demise is really powerful, but what he was there to do with the other slaves was even more important. The thing that he passes on puts everything into perspective and empowers those willing to be brave enough to utilize it. Also, the movie never demonized the slaves who WEREN'T on the same page as John. Fear from ignorance was a powerful tool. Even the white slavers were interesting because you begin to understand why the system worked in the way that it did. Fascinating movie lost to the ages.

You really dont see the purpose in those scenes?

There's a realistic community here and we understand how the slave trade operated.It was mean, sure, but it was business and there were humans with fears on both sides of the color line.

And this right here...............

Just my opinion but you seem to be carrying a lot of baggage with this topic.

If you're going to show me a realistic, dramatic movie that is apparently making all these liberal folks cry, then show me a movie about the complete BREAKING of a good man. Show me that deconstruction in all of its ugliness. Show me how he falls and the inevitable creation of an Overseer. How do you become THAT ninja? That's horrible and worthy of tears. That when your boy finally comes, you're barely the man you were when you entered because your destruction was so absolute and complete. THAT would be some interesting shit.

So revisionist history? Because as I said, if memory serves me that is how it went down, if you have some literature to correct me please share.

You really dont see the purpose in those scenes?

And this right here...............

Just my opinion but you seem to be carrying a lot of baggage with this topic.

In the QT scenes? I get the excuse, to make people uncomfortable. I disagree with execution. The way QT handled it went beyond point of fact to exploiting, imo.

baggage? Perhaps. I'm older generation. I'm from a generation that romanticized community. The new kids are out for self and profit, imo overgeneralized opinion.

Top Bottom