• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
gonna take a while when its only at 308 pages =P

imagine if luigi is the bad guy.

or if luigi is the best character in teh game hence why he's being kept secret.

oh man.

Dreavus

Suburban Cowboy said:
I heard sukurai delayed the game to give this thread a chance to get to 1000 pages

I could see this happening

"Oh, those guys over on Neogaf... they are having so much fun with my updates!

I...I think I'll delay release, just a bit longer!"

I just hope this extra time lets them perfect the Wi-fi play. Even with friend codes, I'd hate to see it brought down by lag/connection problems.

Jiggy

Cosmozone said:
Zelda is not on that pic and she's most likely a starter.
And Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Ness/Lucas, and Bowser are other notables not on there who are likely starters.

Darkpen

Banned
you know, I really wonder about the original Earthbound release on the SNES. I mean, the box was huge, and it came with a freaking strategy guide! You could tell that Nintendo was totally behind pushing this game, but what could've possibly happened that didn't get the sales it could've gotten? You guys say that it sold poorly, but are there any numbers we can directly compare? It has such a strong cult following, yet Nintendo does show a history of recoiling from either failed or disappointing business ventures, whether its Star Fox, or F-Zero.

Lobster

Banned
Shadowmancer said:
Hmmm... I count eleven characters on that. I agree that the characters on the cover are likely to represent starters, but 11? That's an odd number (both meanings intended). Not saying it can't happen, but iirc, both SSB and SSBM had an even number of starters.

P.S. Yes, Nintendo needs to release Mother here in all in its forms, on all of it's consoles.

Random will fill up the 12th spot?

Chris R

SuperAngelo64 said:
They should just release Mother 3 as Wiiware for 1000 pts,

Problem solved.

They wouldn't have to market or manufacture it like a real game, so there's no risk involved for NoA and all the Mother fans in the states would be happy.
Only if I can hook up my DS to my Wii, purchase some form of a flash cart from Nintendo and take the game with me on the go.

I would love a Mother 1 + 2 + 3 DS game.

Syth_Blade22 said:
imagine if luigi is the bad guy.

2uqbsd0.jpg

Baryn

Banned
I love how advertisingly the characters are arranged on that cover. Such mathematical precision.

With Kirby and Meta Knight far, far away at the back. :(

AMUSIX

NeonZ said:
Corneria is the only one really like that. Battlefield lacks interactive elements, but there isn't "cool stuff" happening in the background, just the day passing. I suppose one could include the Animal Crossing stage too, but it'd be a stretch.
Actually, Corneria (assuming it's like other Starfox levels) is interactive in that you can be hit my errant laser fire. Animal Crossing is most certainly a good example (instead of fighting in the town, on the buildings, over the bridges, etc) you fight in front of it while the town goes about its day in the background. The Halberd is the biggest example here. You fight on a floating platform while the ship goes through a huge launch sequence, all the while not affecting the battle (in any way we've seen). Castle Seige is also this way, the actual seige on the castle doesn't have any affect on the battle (no debris from cataplts landing on the battlefield...no arrows or spears flying through when inside, etc) and now the transitions are shown to just be the background suffling around instead of charcters actually falling from one area to the next.

NeonZ said:
If anything, I think that last transition is proof that the generic transition is the final one. There's no way they could pull a believable transition between the last arena and the first castle area.
Yeah, but I was just hoping...to be honest, I was disappointed when I saw the level change from the third area back to the first. Would have much rather had the level stay on the different areas much longer...so that you only saw the third area in lengthy battles, and, once there, the fight would finish there. Makes me worried about the Halberd...after fighting on it for a bit, will we get zapped back to the hangar and go through the launch cycle over and over?

NeonZ said:
That would be absolutely broken. A single attack and the character could be out, his actual % not mattering at all.
I don't understand this. Why would a freefall battle be any different from two characters fighting while falling above the stage (say, kirby and metaknight fighting after hitting their peak heights). For that matter, what would prevent them from having no KO's during the short freefall, just more battling, more building of damage percentage.

NeonZ

Animal Crossing is most certainly a good example (instead of fighting in the town, on the buildings, over the bridges, etc) you fight in front of it while the town goes about its day in the background.

The town changes in real time, so, chances are, during a single battle, nothing much will happen. There is a moving platform in that stage too.

Castle Seige is also this way, the actual seige on the castle doesn't have any affect on the battle (no debris from cataplts landing on the battlefield...no arrows or spears flying through when inside, etc) and now the transitions are shown to just be the background suffling around instead of charcters actually falling from one area to the next.

You're ignoring the most important part... What about the whole arena changing aspect? It's not like the arenas are only aesthetically different, they seem to have a fair variation.

The castle one has an inclination and a main base area surrounded by holes, the second one has no holes and several platforms, including inclined ones, the last one seems to be just a Final Destination-like arena.

I don't understand this. Why would a freefall battle be any different from two characters fighting while falling above the stage (say, kirby and metaknight fighting after hitting their peak heights). For that matter, what would prevent them from having no KO's during the short freefall, just more battling, more building of damage percentage.

Because there would be no floor on camera for a moment, so one could just attack another character and send him downwards, almost instantly killing him.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Holy Order Sol said:
I meant, the way they did it for MGS 2, like, not telling anyone until launch.
That would certainly be a shock, but not a good one, unless they replaced snake with MGS4 raiden. Its never going to happen though.

psycho_snake

Jiggy37 said:
Don't know how I missed that comment about Captain Falcon quote until psycho_snake brought it up, but...

Captain Falcon was a bounty hunter anyway, not "just" the pilot of an F-Zero machine. It was easy to assume that he had at least some fighting skills, especially since the F-Zero universe is full of bizarre species with bizarre powers, and the technology level is higher than anything else from Nintendo except Metroid.
I'm just glad the original SSB team didn't end up making Falcon a typical laser gun-wielding kind of bounty hunter. I will admit, though... being a gadget-oriented Batman type of character might have been really interesting. Would have kind of infringed on Link, though.
I could see Falcon having gadgets to attack with. He looks like a superhero, so having superhero gadgets would go with his character.

psycho_snake

Scribble said:
Would Mog WOW you, though? After Snake and Sonic,

MOG JOINS THE BRAWL!

=/

Nevertheless, I DO wish that the third 3rd party character is someone popular, but...obscure, if you know what I mean. But then, Megaman would complete the trio of video game icons. Hmm....
I;d be pretty impressed with mog. It wont be as much of a shock as snake or sonic, but it would still be a pretty big deal.

Jiggy37 said:
And Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Ness/Lucas, and Bowser are other notables not on there who are likely starters.
Don't forget Yoshi as a possible starter as well. Eleven does seem like an 'odd' starting number. :lol

Maybe the twelfth starter is another new character not yet revealed. There is some room on the boxart next to Pit or MetaKnight. Hmm...a flying Ridley would fit nicely up there. :D

AMUSIX said:
The Halberd is the biggest example here. You fight on a floating platform while the ship goes through a huge launch sequence, all the while not affecting the battle (in any way we've seen).
You mean except for all the cannons and shit shooting at you?

Firestorm

I think I said this before, but I really do love that the stages all morph into different forms. Like Pokemon Stadium, it makes sure no one character has an advantage the entire match. Platforms -> different spaced platforms -> flat land is how Castle Siege goes I think? That's basically perfect.

Of course, we still better get Dreamland 64 =)

Jiggy

Mondaytons:
July 2nd - Assist trophies + Samurai Goroh
August 13th - Pokemon Trainer + Pokemon change

Great updates (Mondayton for Amir0x and Iam Canadian and all of starmen.net, though):
October 1st - Lucas profile

Everything else:
Pit's moves, Yoshi's Story music, Fox profile, Link's final smash, Zelda profile, Combos, Star Fox music, Rumble Falls, DK's final smash, Smoke Ball, Link's moves, Superspicy Curry, Pit's Descent, Munchlax, Golden Hammer, Trophies, Zero Suit Samus' moves

Total Mondays: 20
Total Monday updates: 22
Shares: 18% special moves (counting Pokemon change), 13.6% items, 9% veteran characters, 9% newcomer characters, 9% music, 9% final smashes, 9% assist trophies, 4.5% movies, 4.5% stages, 4.5% Poke Ball Pokemon, 4.5% game modes, 4.5% Smash 101/techniques, 0% story mode updates, 0% notices

Special moves started us off last week, so for tonight I'm predicting a double update of Captain Falcon profile and the Spinner from Twilight Princess.

NeonZ

Platforms -> different spaced platforms -> flat land is how Castle Siege goes I think? That's basically perfect.

1st- Main platform (with inclined section) + 2 smaller ones.

2nd- Solid floor with several platforms around it, including two inclined ones.

3rd- A single flat platform.

Firestorm

I always only played Saffron City in SSB64. Of course that stage is rigged as hell, but I was a Pokenut and I think that was part of the charm.

Firestorm

usea said:

I really hated stages like this in free for alls. Where there's something, gap, something, gap, something. So this stage and I think Jungle Japes. 2 people who spawn on the sides would camp and start chucking stuff at the two in the middle. People in the middle would try hard to get the side so they could be in a position of power. Agh

JCX

Probably my favorite melee stage. Why do so many dislike it?

pokefloats.jpg

Also saffron city and mute city

I really think every past character and stage should be in brawl.

psycho_snake

Rambaldi said:
Thats the stage i really want to see in brawl. Its one of my favourite stages. They really should make more big stages like this one.

I also want to see pokemon floats. It could be annoying as hell, but it was so much fun.

dfyb

Banned
Firestorm said:
I really hated stages like this in free for alls. Where there's something, gap, something, gap, something. So this stage and I think Jungle Japes. 2 people who spawn on the sides would camp and start chucking stuff at the two in the middle. People in the middle would try hard to get the side so they could be in a position of power. Agh
yeah, i mean think about it -- when a stage cripples certain characters (ness) because they can't use their third jump, it's a bad stage.

miyuru

psycho_snake said:
Why would you want this stage back?! Along with Jungle Japes, this has got to be the most annoying stage.

:lol it's my favorite stage too actually. I dunno, the fights are really fast! I just love how you can go from one end of the stage to the other under the dock/over the water rather than running over the thing too, it makes for some interesting situations and what not.

miyuru said:
:lol it's my favorite stage too actually. I dunno, the fights are really fast! I just love how you can go from one end of the stage to the other under the dock/over the water rather than running over the thing too, it makes for some interesting situations and what not.

Super Mario Bros. 2 should have not had any "walk too far and you die" things. It should've been that if you walk too far, you'd just appear on the other side (ala SMB2!).

Somnid

It might just be easier to pick out stages that shouldn't make a comeback.

-I'd say all Metroid stages need to go. Every single one has been awful and from the sounds of it Norfair isn't going to be any better. Sakurai please stop with the damn lava already, nobody likes it!

-Mute City. Very meh stage. The Mario Kart one can take its place.

-Icicle Mountain, for obvious reasons.

-Game and Watch. Cool concept but poor stage.

-Fountain of Dreams and Green Greens. Neither were any good, one was too basic and the other was random and had stupid bombs spawing all over the place. plus the wind blowing you into them.

-Kongo Jungle 64. Too basic, and I really though it was too drab. The Melee version was a lot better looking and playing.

-Sector Z and Venom. Corneria was a better remake of Sector Z, Venom wasn't great. Too much Great Fox, thankfully they aren't doing it again (I hope).

-Onett. This was annoying to play. The layout of the platforms was just bad.

psycho_snake said:
Why would you want this stage back?! Along with Jungle Japes, this has got to be the most annoying stage.

Because pulling a Back to the Future 2 with the turtle is awesome.
Also when they think you're done you can pop out of the water and knee them.

Artanisix

Somnid said:

-Fountain of Dreams and Green Greens. Neither were any good, one was too basic and the other was random and had stupid bombs spawing all over the place. plus the wind blowing you into them.

What? I love Fountain of Dreams. If you're going to take out Fountain of Dreams, then you might as well take out Battlefield too.

Haunted

Somnid said:

-Game and Watch. Cool concept but poor stage.
wait, what? That stage was awesome. Tiny size made for lotsa KO's.

sdlang

the simexchange says this thing will sell 17 million units worldwide in its lifetime.
Smash Brothers unit estimates

Anyone think thats a little high? Looks like all this buzz has set the bar pretty frickin high for this game. Hope its good as everyone make it seem to be.

psycho_snake

I'm surprised quite a lot of people liked the musroom kingdom level. Me and my friedns rarely use it because its so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom