• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

Wollan

Ponn01 said:
I'm surprised there aren't more Sauron jokes.
cardcopy.jpg

I'll do better next time.

Wollan, here's some info you may or may not want for the initial post based on interviews conducted at Comic-Con 07 and PAX 07:

Expansion schedule
Two years of expansion content is currently planned. The first 100-card expansion is due out four months after release (February). http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=485 (1)

Expansion distribution
You will be able to acquire expansions--which will introduce both new game mechanics as well as 100 new cards--either from retailers or through PlayStation Network. Sony also plans to release new updated editions of the main game as expansions are released. http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=538 (2)

Security concerns
In addition to the proprietary barcode system, there are apparently measures in place to keep cards from being read if duplicated even with a color copier. (2)

Further online plans
Online tournament support is something Sony would like to do but there are no concrete plans. (1)

D2M15 said:
I have this terrifying image that you haven't actually stopped since that "Anyone have this and want to play a game or two online tonight?" post eight hours ago.
Haha, it's not quite that bad, fortunately. I also played some Every Extend Extra Extreme and Everyday Shooter as research for a piece I'm working on, and some Halo 3 with a couple buddies. However I suspect my Eye of Judgment time over the past two days outweighs any of those others.

Wollan

Added to op.

It was asked earlier but do anyone know if the cards can be read if they are in a transparent sleeve? (some are interested in keeping cards healthy)

Wollan said:
Added to op.

It was asked earlier but do anyone know if the cards can be read if they are in a transparent sleeve? (some are interested in keeping cards healthy)
Just checked. Survey says yes.

Ponn

Banned
Wollan said:

I'll do better next time.[/QUOTE]

It was a fair attempt. I give it a 7 out of 10.
[QUOTE]
Expansion schedule
Two years of expansion content is currently planned. The first 100-card expansion is due out four months after release (February). [url]http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=485[/url] (1)[/quote]

WOOT! Take my money, PLEASE!

[quote]Expansion distribution
You will be able to acquire expansions--which will introduce both new game mechanics as well as 100 new cards--either from retailers or through PlayStation Network. Sony also plans to release new updated editions of the main game as expansions are released. [url]http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=538[/url] (2)[/quote]

eh? I thought the card needs to be scanned. Do they mail you the physical cards? I'm not a big fan of the whole buying virtual cards thing. Thats why I hated Magic Online.

[quote]Security concerns
In addition to the proprietary barcode system, there are apparently measures in place to keep cards from being read if [B]duplicated even with a color copier.[/B] (2)[/QUOTE]

Even with a COLOR copier?!! Oh snap, there goes the ghetto counterfeiters and their lexmarks.

Dazzyman

Id expect the cards to be sent to you as from what Ive "read" so far it says that for example online even after you register the deck and it chooses one at random you MUST still put that card down onto the table (its one of the negatives on a few reviews as their whinging the oposite that it should be virtual instead of having to find it). For me thats part of it, I want real cards I dont want a virtual deck, you can buy plenty of games that way.

Seeing as I didnt get a response on what cards to buy Ive ordered one themed deck of each and 2 boosters (gone abit mad seeing as Ive never played these type of games before :D ). Does anyone know if the decks are definetly released this week with the game or are they coming later on and it is boosters only for now?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I have had a ton of requests for a page for my booster offer.

EoJ Booster Page

Quick rundown on this. Orders MUST BE PLACED by THURSDAY NIGHT. You must confirm your order (and go through the account creation process if you don't have one) by Friday morning at the latest. DO NOT listen to the site's Due Date. That is for regular pre-orders/subscriptions only. This is being offered outside of that by Diamond.

The item says $90, but I will adjust for the $82 per additional box in the same shipment. Your credit card won't be charged for the final balance until the boosters ship. However you must buy gift certificates (our current method of deposit) equal to half of your order before the cutoff. So if you are ordering one box, you need to purchase $45 in gift certificates. Two boxes is $86, etc. Gift certificates are worth $1, so to buy $45 just buy 45 gift certificates. It all goes into your account balance. Orders without a matching deposit will not be filled.

You must also have a credit card on file as part of the pre-order process. That isn't special for this, it's how almost "no money down" comic book subscription services work. Again, your order won't charge until it ships.

We will not be stocking boxes of boosters. Unfortunately we don't really stock any gaming products at this time. This is strictly a shipped to order offer. It is also the best offer I have seen on the net til now. I'm doing it for you guys because I've been on this board forever now, and just got a PS3 so I'm looking for some competition. }:D

This pricing is for US orders only. We will ship internationally but you will need to PM me for international shipping rates to your country.

Hopefully that is what most of you were asking for. Now get to ordering. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What is the difference between the $3.99 Booster Pack in stores now and the one that comes with the package? What do these $14.99 theme packs do?

Wollan

Booster packs (8 random cards: 5 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare or ultra rare) sell for $3.99

Theme deck (30 pre-set cards in alignment + four function cards (end game..etc)) sell for $14.99

DenogginizerOS

Wollan said:
Booster packs (8 random cards: 5 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare or ultra rare) sell for $3.99

Theme deck (30 pre-set cards in alignment + four function cards (end game..etc)) sell for $14.99

Booster pack madness. I don't want to become the kid who screams on video when he finds the rare card.....

What does a Theme Deck do? Will people that buy these be at an advantage over those who don't?

Wollan

Every player must have their own personal 30 card deck to draw from. This is included with the game. The Theme starter decks are complete decks for certain alignments (fire, water, biolith..etc) if you want to specialize in those directions.

DenogginizerOS

Wollan said:
Every player must have their own personal 30 card deck to draw from. This is included with the game. The Theme starter decks are complete decks for certain alignments (fire, water, biolith..etc) if you want to specialize in those directions.

Specialize? As in, I want to be a fire or woodmaster (heh, heh I said wood, Beavis)?

I am not sure why, but this game is strangely appealing to me. I think it is my desire to have Wizard's Chess or the game that Chewbacca played with R2D2 that is driving me towards purchase. However, I don't want to be sending my minions out all over town hunting down booster packs in a quest for glory.

Xisiqomelir said:
Honestly that's an idiotic docking. Is there ANY CCG with single-player?

Pretty much all of them do as far as I know, I play a lot of Culdcept and I know it does, if you consider it a CCG.

Anway, I think a SP mode would of really been a very very good idea with this game for many reasons, first off some who are new to CCGs might be picking it and since using the Eye is a new experiance anyway, it would of been really useful for people coming to grips with the game and in the end make online play more rewardin. also the fact that this is a niche game on a slightly niche console sells wise, well it means that depending on the time of day you may or may not find anyone to play against, and I know for a fact that no one I know will be interested in this game, so when you have no competition a SP mode would of been nice.

methos1975 said:
Pretty much all of them do as far as I know, I play a lot of Culdcept and I know it does, if you consider it a CCG.

Anway, I think a SP mode would of really been a very very good idea with this game for many reasons, first off some who are new to CCGs might be picking it and since using the Eye is a new experiance anyway, it would of been really useful for people coming to grips with the game and in the end make online play more rewardin. also the fact that this is a niche game on a slightly niche console sells wise, well it means that depending on the time of day you may or may not find anyone to play against, and I know for a fact that no one I know will be interested in this game, so when you have no competition a SP mode would of been nice.
So just play against the computer. What's wrong with that?

spwolf

methos1975 said:
Can you? I was led to believe that wasn't an option by the review to do that because if you could, wouldn't that be a SP mode?

you can... but there is no "campaign"...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There is not a "single player game" in the game. Basically think "bots only". You can play against an AI opponent by yourself, but there is no campaign, no unlockables, no start or ending, no storyline, etc.

It is one of the main complaints of reviewers, that Sony basically created a strong card game system but made it multi-player only. The PS3, video game, and eye toy are a gimmick only as there's nothing about the card game that requires any of them. What they allow for though is online play (and ranked play) which is what the game's focus is on.

My only concern is that Gamespot or IGN mentioned that the game would recognize high quality color copies of cards. I wonder if this was in practice or just in theory. I also am still wondering if rares and ultra rares are serially encoded somehow to prevent copying those. Finally I notices in gameplay videos that it shows their hands under the board while laying cards down. I don't remember seeing this at the cons, but if such video is recorded, it would be a great way to make sure there was no cheating during ranked play (mainly copied cards).

Yeah, random themes for the packed in starter deck.

No. The starter deck is the same for everyone (which is what I believe he was asking). There's also a booster pack included which are 8 random cards with one guaranteed rare or ultra rare.

eh? I thought the card needs to be scanned. Do they mail you the physical cards? I'm not a big fan of the whole buying virtual cards thing. Thats why I hated Magic Online.

Yes the cards need to be scanned, but the PS3 needs to load the model, animation and general card data from somewhere (Hint: it's not stored in the card :lol ). That's why when new cards come out you'll need to somehow get that info in your HDD.

Ok, to the people that have the game: Can you summon more than one creature per turn if you have the mana needed? It is critical I find this out to play deck building strategies accordinly, but I've come empty handed so far. It gets here around Friday so I'll be able to play this weekend (no ranked matches until I get my 2 booster boxes though). My PSN is Crazygambit also.

Oh and we should start to organize a GAF tournament. I'm thinking with some deck restrictions in the number of rares you can have to level the playing field a little (otherwise people like me that buy lots of booster would have a clear advantage). I'm thinking we should keep the same rarity of the theme decks. 1 ultra rare, 2 rares and however many uncommon they have. It could be fun and challenging to adapt your decks to that format (or the uber powerful ones that are bound to appear online soon enough).

I approve of this thread, great job Wollan.

I should be getting the game on thursday, and can't wait to get on and battle my fellow Gaffers.
Should bring back a lot of childhood memories.

I really hope this game becomes popular, it looks too good and inovative to be overlooked.

Dazzyman

crazygambit said:
No. The starter deck is the same for everyone (which is what I believe he was asking). There's also a booster pack included which are 8 random cards with one guaranteed rare or ultra rare.

Yes the cards need to be scanned, but the PS3 needs to load the model, animation and general card data from somewhere (Hint: it's not stored in the card :lol ). That's why when new cards come out you'll need to somehow get that info in your HDD.

Ok, to the people that have the game: Can you summon more than one creature per turn if you have the mana needed? It is critical I find this out to play deck building strategies accordinly, but I've come empty handed so far. It gets here around Friday so I'll be able to play this weekend (no ranked matches until I get my 2 booster boxes though). My PSN is Crazygambit also.

Oh and we should start to organize a GAF tournament. I'm thinking with some deck restrictions in the number of rares you can have to level the playing field a little (otherwise people like me that buy lots of booster would have a clear advantage). I'm thinking we should keep the same rarity of the theme decks. 1 ultra rare, 2 rares and however many uncommon they have. It could be fun and challenging to adapt your decks to that format (or the uber powerful ones that are bound to appear online soon enough).

Sounds good to me if we have some sort of rules (Dazzyman tag UK times but on alot as dont work due to ill health)

I cant see the problem of the game not having a campaign myself. I will be quite happy with online and one off matches against CPU. I dont know how a full campaign would work anyway as wouldnt that have to go down the route of virtual decks when you won then for fights etc?

I would think they would want to protect against cheating with fake cards and do maybe patch updates to fix issues. Even "if" someone could copy it at the very worst all you have to do at start of the match is have a rule and say to your opponent right the rule is when the CPU draws the card for you to put down you have to show it to the camera both sides and if its fake bye bye ;) :) but I suspose the flaw for that is if it doesnt show both players on the screen of what their up to with the cards etc.. on the table as if it doesnt show the actual cards been layed down against a opponent then your not going to know are you :(

My anti cheat for that would be oye get your arse on camera for 5 mins first before match and hold your deck up your playing with hehe :lol

F-Pina

crazygambit:
Well, you are right my friend, i won't be buying boosters in boxes anytime soon :)
I will just play for fun with friends online or off line, wont give a damn about rankings since i know there will be guys with all the cards and with the "perfect" card set.

I will try to put up a good set to play online though.

grendelrt

Can you play two players right out of the box (like with my roomate, not over the internet) or would you need to buy 30 additional cards for two player games?

Evolution Gamer, a segment on the Seattle ABC Radio (KOMO 1000 AM) affiliate, rated it as a Must Buy, and called it the reason to own a Playstation 3 this year.

Wollan

Nah, I doubt there's unique code to them and I doubt there's a regional difference on the bar stripes (only printed language). I'm not guaranteeing but I would be very surprised if it was otherwise.

For those with the game...

Is there much variety? Any freedom for different strategies? I fell in love with Magic this past year because of how varied you can make a library...does Eye of Judgment feel like that, or, will we be seeing the same 30-card library beating everything?

crazygambit said:

Your turn ends as soon as you summon. Since the game is about achieving control of the board, it would remove a great deal of the strategy otherwise.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wollan said:
Nah, I doubt there's unique code to them and I doubt there's a regional difference on the bar stripes (only printed language). I'm not guaranteeing but I would be very surprised if it was otherwise.

Oh well, at worst I'd be getting the PS Eye at a honest price or waiting a bit longer to get U.S. booster packs.

It is very foolish of Sony to ask 99 Euros for the EoJ+PS Eye Package while they sell the SAME package (unless proven otherwise) for like 70 Euros in the U.S., it is shameful for them. Like the Orange Box on Xbox 360: $50 in the U.S. and 69.90 Euros (multiply by about 1.4 to get the equivalent amount in USD) here... insane... and they wonder why software sales are abit low in some territories...

Firewire

Banned
Not sure if its been posted but.

EyeCreate: Officially Released on the PLAYSTATION Store

"If you were one of the lucky ones to get The Eye of Judgment today at your local game store and you are looking for something a little extra, then head over to the PLAYSTATION Store.
Why? The new and free EyeCreate software was just released, allowing you to make movies and do silly things with your newly aquired PLAYSTATION Eye."

http://onaxis.blogspot.com/2007/10/eyecreate-officially-released-on.html

Here is my full review:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=636

It sounds like a bulky premise--and it is--but what's more surprising is how well it works. This is a genuinely fun, and rather addictive, game. For a variety of reasons, it also gives the impression it will be able to appeal not just to that distinguished combination of video and card gamers, but to those who are just one or the other.
The Eye of Judgment's core strength is that it is firmly grounded in its strategic elements. The game field is always the same size, and your goal is not to annihilate your opponent but to dominate that field. This both adds a more overtly tactical component to the game than most CCGs have, as well as provides a fairly easily comprehensible and visually identifiable core gameplay mechanic and structure.

Essentially, the combination of tactics, a fairly complex ruleset, and PS3-based automation results in a brilliant fusion of genuine accessibility and genuine depth. "Why do you need the PS3 at all?" one might ask, and it is a fair question--one that still persists in the back of my mind, if only just barely--but it is one with a worthwhile answer.
Ideally, you will play the game against a human opponent in person, or against a friend online with both of you equipped with voice headsets. It is a little odd to play such a typically social form of game against a random opponent who lacks voice chat (as they usually do on the PlayStation Network due to its lack of Xbox Live-like standardized headsets), but it can be fun to let your imagination fill in the blanks during a particularly dominating game.

Losing because you ran out the turn clock due to the PlayStation Eye refusing to read a card is much less amusing.

Belfast

Ten-Song said:
Yeah, but I don't think it works with this game. Seems more like they tossed that onto the camera for future Eye-Toy games.

Funny, I thought I read that it did work. It would certainly make sense.

Nice review, though, Chris. Hopefully we can hook up for a few matches online sometime!

Ten-Song

Belfast said:

Nice review, though, Chris. Hopefully we can hook up for a few matches online sometime!

Well, it might, I'm talkin' out of my ass on that one, but I haven't read that the mic on it worked for anything yet, may need to look into that. Either way, I've always just used the headset I use for my cellphone for games like Warhawk and such, so I'm set either way (would be cool if the mic on the thing worked for the game, as that's one less thing I have to bring out to start playing online).

Your turn ends as soon as you summon. Since the game is about achieving control of the board, it would remove a great deal of the strategy otherwise.

Thanks. Finally. Anyway I think this kills my swarm deck idea :lol . Back to the drawing board. BTW is there a spoiler list already? I need to plan my strategy ASAP since I'll be getting the game late (and who know when I'll get my cards).

To the guy above. I've read many places you can have voice chat using the PSEye mike, I'd be very surprised if you can't.

Edit: I mean in the acutal EoJ game, in other games it works too. It's a regular mike after all, the same as your headset.

Belfast said:

Turns out you can. I amended my review. Sorry!

Raistlin

borghe said:
I have had a ton of requests for a page for my booster offer.

EoJ Booster Page

Quick rundown on this. Orders MUST BE PLACED by THURSDAY NIGHT. You must confirm your order (and go through the account creation process if you don't have one) by Friday morning at the latest. DO NOT listen to the site's Due Date. That is for regular pre-orders/subscriptions only. This is being offered outside of that by Diamond.

The item says $90, but I will adjust for the $82 per additional box in the same shipment. Your credit card won't be charged for the final balance until the boosters ship. However you must buy gift certificates (our current method of deposit) equal to half of your order before the cutoff. So if you are ordering one box, you need to purchase $45 in gift certificates. Two boxes is $86, etc. Gift certificates are worth $1, so to buy $45 just buy 45 gift certificates. It all goes into your account balance. Orders without a matching deposit will not be filled.

You must also have a credit card on file as part of the pre-order process. That isn't special for this, it's how almost "no money down" comic book subscription services work. Again, your order won't charge until it ships.

We will not be stocking boxes of boosters. Unfortunately we don't really stock any gaming products at this time. This is strictly a shipped to order offer. It is also the best offer I have seen on the net til now. I'm doing it for you guys because I've been on this board forever now, and just got a PS3 so I'm looking for some competition. }:D

This pricing is for US orders only. We will ship internationally but you will need to PM me for international shipping rates to your country.

Hopefully that is what most of you were asking for. Now get to ordering. :)

How many booster packs come in a blister box?

Surfheart

I have a question about 2 player offline games. If I'm playing at home with my girlfriend for example, then we would both be drawing from the same deck of 30 cards right?

If I have a mate who also has the game, It's best to take my 30 card deck around to his place where we would each use our own decks to play?

Ooh do you know if those booster or themed packs are going to be available in aussie this week?

Surfheart said:
I have a question about 2 player offline games. If I'm playing at home with my girlfriend for example, then we would both be drawing from the same deck of 30 cards right?

Nope. Each person has his own deck. It's a 1 on 1 game after all and all the fun comes from creating a better deck than your opponent and using it wisely.

So if you wanna play 2 player with your gf you're gonna need more cards. A theme deck would do (those are ready to play) or some boosters (probably quite a few to make something decent).

Surfheart

crazygambit said:
Nope. Each person has his own deck. It's a 1 on 1 game after all and all the fun comes from creating a better deck than your opponent and using it wisely.

So if you wanna play 2 player with your gf you're gonna need more cards. A theme deck would do (those are ready to play) or some boosters (probably quite a few to make something decent).

Thanks. Crap though, looks like I'm going to have to buy a couple of themed decks and boosters which would kinda limit the second deck quite a bit.

Edit: The themed decks are only from a specific element right? I guess what I'm trying to determine is if it's possible to buy a second deck of randomly themed cards so that my GF can play.

Belfast

Chris Remo said:
Turns out you can. I amended my review. Sorry!

All is forgiven! Though, I suppose that means your opponent's audio comes out of the TV, so using a headset might provide a much more discrete experience.

Top Bottom