• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

NeonZ said:
Takamaru also was mentioned thrice in the SSBB poll too. If Takamaru is in, that might explain why other Samurai-style swordsman, like Goroh and Lyn, are just Assists. They'd be rather redundant with Takamaru in the game.

Original topic:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=38898768

This post was both informative and got me thinking. I've seen Takamaru's name thrown around left and right for a while but never bothered to look up who he was. The thought that he would supercede Lyn and Goroh (was really hoping to be a playable) as sword users intrigued me enough to look him up now. Seems like a decent enough character design. Game must have been pretty solid or iconic to be remembered for so long. Do we want Takamaru for Brawl?

Zeed

Banned
Crocodile said:
Do we want Takamaru for Brawl?
I wouldn't mind. He doesn't look half bad. Thing is, if he really is Franchise 19, there are a lot of other games (Pikmin, Golden Sun) that would have deserved that slot in my opinion - assuming that 21+ are non-character franchises.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Has the Smash Bros. series ever had anything from a upcoming/recently released game?
Roy. Fire Emblem 6. He supplanted Sigurd (Sakurai's original choice) specifically to promote the game.

Rotanibor

Zeed said:
I wouldn't mind. He doesn't look half bad. Thing is, if he really is Franchise 19, there are a lot of other games (Pikmin, Golden Sun) that would have deserved that slot in my opinion - assuming that 21+ are non-character franchises.

Well at least if he is over say, Golden Sun, it would offer a different flavor of sword fighter that time around.

But yeah, I agree with the general sentiment, Takumaru looks like he'd be a pretty intresting character for smash.

Crocodile

Zeed said:

As we've learned like a billion times in this topic, mixing assumptions with Sakurai is like mixing bleach with ammonia. Simply put, foolish and prone to producing toxic fumes that can knock out your account if you're one prone to taking ban bets. You may well be right that Franchises 22+, if they exist, may be home to no new characters but I wouldn't place any ban bets (or normal ones) on it. If he's in he could be any number beyond 21 and shouldn't/hopefully won't take up slots from other potential, yet to be unveiled characters. Thankfully we've debunked that stupid alphabetical order theory. Otherwise I agree that I don't I'd min him in the least.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Has the Smash Bros. series ever had anything from a upcoming/recently released game?
Pichu, Roy, and Lucas. But considering two of those characters are widely considered to be on the chopping block, this is an interesting question you raise. >_>

Edit: And I'd just like to say I still expect really really want a playable Nintendo DS.

Zeed

Banned
Crocodile said:
Thankfully we've debunked that stupid alphabetical order theory.
While I personally don't believe in the alphabetical order theory, I like to play the devil's advocate. The theory is still alive and kicking if you accept at least one of two things:

1. The DS symbol is actually being used as the "Touch Generations" symbol.
2. 21 was the beginning of a new section. The alphabetical order theory has always relied on franchises being considered within their own sections.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Zeed said:
While I personally don't believe in the alphabetical order theory, I like to play the devil's advocate. The theory is still alive and kicking if you accept at least one of two things:

2. 21 was the beginning of a new section. The alphabetical order theory has always relied on franchises being considered within their own sections.

Counterargument:

1. The theory still can't answer why the order is of translated Japanese names instead the japanese alphabet

2. What if Touch Generations does get a character

Crocodile

Zeed said:

Was Pictochat ever considered to be under the "Touch Generations" moniker? I know Pictochat far preceded TG and I'm not aware of any retcon that places it within TG. Plus TG has it's own logo (I know there are different for each region but it's not that hard to just pick one or slightly modify one to be more encompassing). The "start of a new section" feels more like an attempt for the believers to save their theory from utter destruction. Again, they could end up being right in the end but I very much doubt it. (That and things are more interesting if they are wrong)

grandjedi6

Crocodile said:
Was Pictochat ever considered to be under the "Touch Generations" moniker? I know Pictochat far preceded TG and I'm not aware of any retcon that places it within TG. Plus TG has it's own logo (I know there are different for each region but it's not that hard to just pick one or slightly modify one to be more encompassing). The "start of a new section" feels more like an attempt for the believers to save their theory from utter destruction. Again, they could end up being right in the end but I very much doubt it. (That and things are more interesting if they are wrong)

The DS logo does refer to a group of casual (non-games) instead of just DS. So it would be more appropriate to call the new Brawl group Touch Generations even though it probably doesn't have an official name. Also the DS logo would be more known worldwide than the Touch Generations logo

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Counterargument:

1. The theory still can't answer why the order is of translated Japanese names instead the japanese alphabet

2. What if Touch Generations does get a character
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese alphabet isn't the same of ours in the sense that there's a strict order. First you have to account for Kanji versus Kana, and even if we go by the latter Kana is more like a chart than a list. English is much simpler, and besides the Japanese have a thing for the English language.

2. That's just complete speculation. If Touch Generations gets a character we'll talk.

grandjedi6

Grecco said:
Kyle Hyde

Believe
WHATA.gif

icokyle.gif

Tim-E

grandjedi6 said:

Melee had trophies of Tom Nook and KK Slider and under the "series" name, it said "FUTURE RELEASE" or something similar.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese alphabet isn't the same of ours in the sense that there's a strict order. First you have to account for Kanji versus Kana, and even if we go by the latter Kana is more like a chart than a list. English is much simpler, and besides the Japanese have a thing for the English language.

2. That's just complete speculation. If Touch Generations gets a character we'll talk.
To be honest I don't know Japanese, I'm just repeating what someone told me. However several people who know Japanese have told me that the theory makes no sense on Japan's side

Tim-E said:
Melee had trophies of Tom Nook and KK Slider and under the "series" name, it said "FUTURE RELEASE" or something similar.

But Animal Forest had already been released in Japan. Pichu and Roy were great examples though

Jiggy

I think there were a few other trophies that said Future Release on them. I wonder if we'll get any such previews this time around. :eek:

usea

grandjedi6 said:
But Animal Forest had already been released in Japan. Pichu and Roy were great examples though
I'm pretty sure pichu was in gold/silver which came out like 2 years prior.

Zeed

Banned
JJConrad said:
Can someone explain this alphabet theory?
It's probably not true, but off the top of my head the "new debuts" section would appear to follow an alphabetical order if you romanize the Japanese names:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Paltena no Kagami
20. Sonic

Or you can go by the Japanese, which someone in the thread apparently bothered to do (and it still works?):

15: Do (Doubutsu no Mori/Animal Crossing)
16: Mei (Made in Wario/WarioWare)
17: Meta (Metal Gear Solid)
18: Pa (Paltena no Kagami/Kid Icarus)
19:
20: So (Sonic)

Basically if this theory is true, Pikmin or Rockman would fit in slot number 19.

rakka

Zeed said:
It's probably not true, but off the top of my head the "new debuts" section would appear to follow an alphabetical order if you romanize the Japanese names:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Paltena no Kagami
20. Sonic

Or you can go by the Japanese, which someone in the thread apparently bothered to do (and it still works?):

19:

Basically if this theory is true, Pikmin or Rockman would fit in slot number 19.
better be rockman.

Zeed said:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Paltena no Kagami
20. Sonic

19:

PIKMIN please

grandjedi6

Zeed said:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Paltena no Kagami
20. Sonic

19:

Which still doesn't make sense since the Kid Icarus series is called "Hikari shinwa" while Paltena no Kagami is the subtitle

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
grandjedi6 said:
Which still doesn't make sense since the Kid Icarus series is called "Hikari shinwa" while Paltena no Kagami is the subtitle
Seriously, people, stop with this alphabetical bullshit.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
My mistake. I quoted a guy while reassembling the list. Normally my list looks like this:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Myth of Light
20. Sonic

The Japanese list is something I have no prior familiarity with and just dredged up from the bowels of this thread.

GaimeGuy said:
Seriously, people, stop with this alphabetical bullshit.
Don't be a dick, Rakka asked for it so I explained it.

Rlan

There are enough "Round" characters, Lolo wouldn't be particularly fascinating.

I could definitely see him as an Assist Trophy, which walk across the screen pushing weapons, crates and people off the edge of a platform and into the abyss.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
My mistake. I quoted a guy while reassembling the list. Normally my list looks like this:

15. Animal Forest
16. Made in Wario
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Myth of Light
20. Sonic

The Japanese list is something I have no prior familiarity with and just dredged up from the bowels of this thread.

Don't be a dick, Rakka asked for it so I explained it.

The main problem with the theory is that it is filled with exceptions and changes to make it work. Why would anyone order the icons by the English translation of the Japanese names in the order of the Latin alphabet

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
The main problem with the theory is that it is filled with exceptions and changes to make it work. Why would anyone order the icons by the English translation of the Japanese names in the order of the Latin alphabet
My list is consistent. Instead of Doubutsu no Mori I used Animal Forest. There are no exceptions in this list. As for why it would be ordered like that, it's really not an inconceivable stretch of the imagination that they just had the franchise names simply translated and then assembled in alphabetical order.

Like I said I don't believe in the theory, but it's not been debunked, not yet. We need Franchise 19 to get a better idea.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
My list is consistent. Instead of Doubutsu no Mori I used Animal Forest. There are no exceptions in this list. As for why it would be ordered like that, it's really not an inconceivable stretch of the imagination that they just had the franchise names simply translated and then assembled in alphabetical order.

Like I said I don't believe in the theory, but it's not been debunked, not yet. We need Franchise 19 to get a better idea.

The theory should have been debunked when the DS logo was revealed. But if sure when #19 is revealed people will find an exception to make that work too

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zeed said:
As for why it would be ordered like that, it's really not an inconceivable stretch of the imagination that they just had the franchise names simply translated and then assembled in alphabetical order.
Yes it is. Also, it still doesn't account for the DS icon, and your arbitrary decision that it's somehow "part of a new section" of icons is based on, well, nothing, so we can pretty well disregard that.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
The theory should have been debunked when the DS logo was revealed. But if sure when #19 is revealed people will find an exception to make that work too
No, like I said, there are NO exceptions in the current list. None. The next exception will be the first, and then I'd consider it debunked.

MetatronM said:
Yes it is.
No it's not. We can go back and forth like this for all fifteen minutes until the update.

Also, it still doesn't account for the DS icon, and your arbitrary decision that it's somehow "part of a new section" of icons is based on, well, nothing
Unless you're certain that a playable DS character is going to rear its ugly head, then I'm not making any more assumptions than you. Not to mention that the symbol could represent Touch Generations as well, meaning you've only attacked one of two conditions that would satisfy the list.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Seriously grandjedi, you fucking son of a bitch, there are no goddamned exceptions zero Jesus Christ what the fuck is wrong with you.

grandjedi6

Zeed said:
No, like I said, there are NO exceptions in the current list. None. The next exception will be the first, and then I'd consider it debunked.
Except for the DS logo

Seriously grandjedi, you fucking son of a bitch, there are no goddamned exceptions zero Jesus Christ what the fuck is wrong with you.
:lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zeed said:
Unless you're certain that a playable DS character is going to rear its ugly head, then I'm not making any more assumptions than you. Not to mention that the symbol could represent Touch Generations as well, meaning you've only attacked one of two conditions that would satisfy the list.
You're certain a playable Animal Crossing character is going to show up?

grandjedi6

Zeed said:

No it's not. We can go back and forth like this for all fifteen minutes until the update.

Why would they make a separate section for what we assume to be a no-character series? Why not make a separate section for 3rd party characters? Series featuring Pink Blobs? There are far too many assumptions for this theory to be considered true anymore

Zeed

Banned
MetatronM said:
You're certain a playable Animal Crossing character is going to show up?
I was expecting that question. There are two ways to answer that:

1) Yes, I do actually expect an Animal Crossing character (I'm not playing devil's advocate here) and believe that's far more probable than, say, a playable Nintendo DS (which would still be awesome if it happens).

2) Animal Crossing is at the top of the list. If worst comes to worst it can be omitted from the section as its own section, with Touch Generations beginning representation of non-game franchises (I'm playing again).

grandjedi6 said:
Why would they make a separate section for what we assume to be a no-character series?
It could also be a section for franchises that are not actually games. There are more factors that set it apart from 15-20 than there are which make it similar. Also, like I keep pointing out, you're only attacking one of two conditions that would justify its placement - the other would have it be part of the other section as Touch Generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom