• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

To be honest, I wonder why they ever had the idea to only show three out of four special moves for each character (except Meta Knight). I mean, is it really that spoiler-ish to know all four?

ohamsie

Also: I hope Captain Olimar's moveset is similar to DeDeDe's Waddle Dee/Doo throw. A different direction for each color pikimin, with common being leaf, uncommon being a bud, and rare being full bloom petals.

Rexaur

I'm hoping that for Dedede's running attack he just falls flat on his face in a dive.

dedede.jpg

I have faith in Sakurai.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
To be honest, I wonder why they ever had the idea to only show three out of four special moves for each character (except Meta Knight). I mean, is it really that spoiler-ish to know all four?

I guess it gives you something extra to look forward to for when you finally actually use the character.

And it gives us grounds for completely wild speculation, which is Sakurai's forte.

RagnarokX

Grecco said:
That Eyeball thing reminds me of the Cloud boss from the GB Kirby... Would have been nice to see some of the old school Kirby bosses as Deedees summon
... Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos are like the most common Kirby enemies ever...

Anyway, Kirby better be able to inhale the Waddle Doos and become Beam Kirby.

Also, I'm sure Dedede's standard special is going to be "inhale" like Kirby except withouth copying powers. They could figure out some way to make it different from Kirby and Yoshi.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RagnarokX said:
... Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos are like the most common Kirby enemies ever...

Also, I'm sure Dedede's standard special is going to be "inhale" like Kirby except withouth copying powers. They could figure out some way to make it different from Kirby and Yoshi.

Woah

Gaborn said:
Not to mention Link's bombs, arrows, boomerang....

Those are weapons not items

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I bet Sakurai's had this moveset in his mind for a while.

Dedede's been in the planning since SSB64...

(notice that Satoshi/Ash (Pokemon Trainer!), Meta Knight, Diddy, Dedede, Wario, Ganon, FE Characters, Peach, Young Link, Mewtwo, Zelda, Falco, Sonic, Samurai Goroh... were ALL considered for SSB4... and they've all appeared in SSBM or will in SSBB.)

Dreavus

Jiggy37 said:

I'm going to be dreading the update that gives us one special move to finish off this set =(

Iam Canadian

RagnarokX said:

It could also be his throw. His grab could be inhaling and his actual throw could be him spitting the victim out. We've seen in Kirby's Adventure that his spitting tosses the target much farther than Kirby's; he managed to spit Kirby into the stratosphere. We've also seen him angle his expulsions in a way we haven't seen from Kirby, so his inhale is more suited to a throw.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
kingdedede_071026h-l.jpg

Jesus christ. :lol

The waddle dee move is funny too. Using them like the pawns they are.

Golden Darkness said:
Hmmm.... I wonder if his Up-B has any horizontal recovery. It really doesn't look like it does.

It doesn't look like it. Use it like Ikes up-B.

justchris

Dreavus said:
I'm going to be dreading the update that gives us one special move to finish off this set =(

Unless it's the update after the game is release, "All the special moves you missed," and has one from every character.

RagnarokX

Iam Canadian said:
It could also be his throw. His grab could be inhaling and his actual throw could be him spitting the victim out. We've seen in Kirby's Adventure that his spitting tosses the target much farther than Kirby's; he managed to spit Kirby into the stratosphere. We've also seen him angle his expulsions in a way we haven't seen from Kirby, so his inhale is more suited to a throw.
I think he spit Kirby into space in a few other games too. As long as it gets represented somehow. Jet Hammer and Waddle Dee Throw are nice, but so far the only special move we've seen that was actually in the games is the Super Dedede Jump. Not like he has a vast moveset from the games though... basically: super jump, hammer, inhale, float, trip while running.

Jiggy

Daily:

-This is the 12th update for special moves, putting us just over half as many special moves as character profiles on the Dojo.

-This is the 9th Kirby update, putting it further ahead of every series other than Mario and Pokemon for number of updates.
Yes, yes, we know, Sakurai bias confirmed, Kirby whorage, etc. Away with you, Dedede haters. :(

-Our six least recent update types are now normal item (September 17th--we're due any moment now for a lame item update!), music (October 9th), character movie (October 10th), notice (October 12th), and a tie between Poke Ball and How to Play (October 17th).
Note that character movies and notices are extremely rare... If I kick those out, assist trophy (October 18th) can also join the ranks of non-recent update types.

Weeks in review:

-This week had updates for a stage, adventure mode, game mode (with a second stealth game mode), character profile, and special moves. It did not have a character movie, final smash, assist trophy, item, Poke Ball, How to Play, music, or notice.

-The past three weeks have had two character profiles, one character movie, two final smashes, three sets of special moves, two stages, one assist trophy, zero items, one Poke Ball, one How to Play, four game modes, one story mode, and one music. I have no idea what conclusion to draw from any of this, so I probably won't collect similar info again. >_>

Iam Canadian said:
I guess it gives you something extra to look forward to for when you finally actually use the character.

And it gives us grounds for completely wild speculation, which is Sakurai's forte.
I look forward enough to the A moves, personally, but yeah, you're right.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Iam Canadian said:
There's still his neutral B.

His vacuum mouth could prolly be his final smash or King dedede summons a shitload of monsters to attack the other players.

RagnarokX

Verano said:
His vacuum mouth could prolly be his final smash or King dedede summons a shitload of monsters to attack the other players.
For a final smash... It'd have to be something involving food. Maybe he could make it rain eggs and bombs like in that minigame from Kirby's Adventure? :p

Iam Canadian

Verano said:

I still think his Final Smash will be this.

king.gif

Hey, Jiggy, is this the longest we've gone without a normal item? If not, what's the record?

Jiggy

RagnarokX said:
Not like he has a vast moveset from the games though... basically: super jump, hammer, inhale, float, trip while running.
This had better be in. As opposed to this...

RagnarokX said:
...Which would be a dream come true, but I just can't imagine it becoming reality. :( Then again, maybe they could do that to compensate for the relative pointlessness of Kirby absorbing the power to inhale something (assuming that's really Dedede's neutral B and not a throw as Iam Canadian suggests), but considering we've seen the Dedede hat, I don't have hope there.

Iam Canadian said:
Hey, Jiggy, is this the longest we've gone without a normal item? If not, what's the record?
Yes. We've somehow made it through 29 days of updates with no item. :eek: The record prior to that was 14.

RagnarokX

Iam Canadian said:

king.gif

No thanks, that would involve Dark Matter, which is a separate being that keeps taking over Dedede's body. Dedede should have a final smash that uses his own "powers".

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Note that character movies and notices are extremely rare... If I kick those out, assist trophy (October 18th) can also join the ranks of non-recent update types.

I'd go with removing notices...it seems that they're updates of necessity more than anything, when Sakurai needs to tell us something that doesn't fit as a normal update; the delay, for one.

Character movies seem like they're just for third party characters, so I don't expect to see any more until the next third party character shows up, assuming there is one. (We've gotten a few videos for non-third parties, but they've been classified as Subspace updates...)

RagnarokX said:
No thanks, that would involve Dark Matter, which is a separate being that keeps taking over Dedede's body. Dedede should have a final smash that uses his own "powers".

Not all Final Smashes involve the character's own powers. Pit's just involves summoning a goddess to do his dirty work for him. So Dedede getting possessed by Dark Matter isn't really out of the question.

Jiggy

(notice that Satoshi/Ash (Pokemon Trainer!), Meta Knight, Diddy, Dedede, Wario, Ganon, FE Characters, Peach, Young Link, Mewtwo, Zelda, Falco, Sonic, Samurai Goroh... were ALL considered for SSB4... and they've all appeared in SSBM or will in SSBB.)
Wait, what. How was Shadow Lugia known for SSB64? Unless there's some kind of funky translation going on here.

Hooray for Bomberman, Dr. Saturn, and Kamek ranking fairly high, though. Edit: And Lip, I'd be remiss to mention Lip, considering that I'm pulling for her. :D

Crocodile

Iam Canadian said:
Not all Final Smashes involve the character's own powers. Pit's just involves summoning a goddess to do his dirty work for him. So Dedede getting possessed by Dark Matter isn't really out of the question.

The difference is that Pit and Palutena have a positive, beneficial relationship. Pit's bow/swords were given to him by Palutena anyway. Dedede and Dark Matter don't have such a relationship. Sure anything goes in Smash but it really makes no sense to me to summon an evil entity you aren't allied with to posses you to reek havoc.

Iam Canadian

RagnarokX said:
inhale, float, trip while running.

I was just playing Kirby Super Star earlier today. When I got to Dedede and he used that move, the first thing that popped into my head was "that's GOT to be Dedede's dashing A attack".

I spend too much time here. >_< Actually, I take that back. There's no such thing as too much time in this thread.

RagnarokX

Kirby should also be able to inhale 2 opponents at once and activate Mix Kirby; a spinner would activate containing every possible Kirby copy power in Brawl, including a few Kirby powers he can't normally get in Brawl... like Mike. :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
King Dedede's moves love great. I like using the heavyweights, so I'm definately going to use dedede. His moves look really strong.

PkunkFury

Funny to see Sonic and Megaman at the very bottom of the 3rd party poll, when they are the two everyone in the US has been pulling for all these years :lol Crash Bandicoot over all of them!? yech

Also great to see Sukapon had so many votes despite being in one old game. He's way above Ice Climbers and Pit, in fact its surprising they passed all the way down to ice climbers in that category. I read a rumor that they tried to get Sukapon into Melee but had trouble with his "physics". He would be a wildly unique character so i hope he has a chance in brawl.

It also seems that Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo were in some sort of plannign for 64 but were cut due to time, according to this site. Good to see they all finally made it :D

Iam Canadian

RagnarokX said:
Kirby should also be able to inhale 2 opponents at once and activate Mix Kirby; a spinner would activate containing every possible Kirby copy power in Brawl, including a few Kirby powers he can't normally get in Brawl... like Mike. :D

Now that would be awesome.

Imagine the chaos that he could create with Crash...

Anyway, I'm done for the night. So long.

Dubble

Iam Canadian said:

king.gif

No way, man - those attacks only come about in the games when Dedede is posessed by Dark Matter; and we still haven't seen a move where Dedede actually uses his suction powers yet. ;)

I think his Final Smash will be something akin to...I think it was Super Star or Dreamland 2? Dedede had this one attack where he'd get super mad, turn beet red and start sucking up everything in sight. Dedede can't swallow and absorb powers, but he has a far greater and slightly more powerful suction range than Kirby (as shown in the Dreamland boss battles). I imagine that his final smash will be sucking up every opponent on the screen and spitting them out like mad (as stars) off of platforms.

The only other thing I can think of that he could use would be the giant Mecha-Dedede robot from Kirby's Dream Course. But that's a little bit too obscure even for Kirby.

Speaking of your animated gif - its obvious that Kirby is going to be a big player this go round unlike the last SB games. Personally, I would love to see Dark Matter as a Subspace Emissary boss. It makes no sense to have him playable, but you have to admit that a co-op boss fight against a constantly transforming Dark Matter/Wizard Matter/Miracle Matter or even his final O2 form would rock. :)

PkunkFury

Crocodile said:
The difference is that Pit and Palutena have a positive, beneficial relationship. Pit's bow/swords were given to him by Palutena anyway. Dedede and Dark Matter don't have such a relationship. Sure anything goes in Smash but it really makes no sense to me to summon an evil entity you aren't allied with to posses you to reek havoc.

also, Pit summoned those flying dudes as his own move during every boss fight in the original game. They were the people you set free with the mallet. I think Palutena is just there to make things a bit flashier.

Going back a few pages, were people seriously hoping for Megaman over Captain Olimar?

This is Smash Bros., people. I'd take an interesting new Nintendo character over some past-his-prime third-party character that would just be a Samus clone anyday.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
traveler said:
Egg Galaxy level. Multiple small planetoids with their own differing gravities.
That would be amazing.

I'd love to see something galaxy related, but I dont think there's a very big chance of seeing it. You never know though. So far we've only got one mario level, which is delfino plaza. Maybe the othert mario level is going to be something out of mario galaxy.

Jiggy

BrodiemanTTR said:
Going back a few pages, were people seriously hoping for Megaman over Captain Olimar?

This is Smash Bros., people. I'd take an interesting new Nintendo character over some past-his-prime third-party character that would just be a Samus clone anyday.
If it wasn't 1:04 AM Pacific, I'd ready the popcorn. But it is, which means most of us are sleeping and I'm headed there. Oh well. Maybe there'll be an argument in the morning. :D

BrodiemanTTR said:

Hey im with you id rather see Captain olimar then Megaman any day

Kelsonk

Golden Darkness said:
Hmmm.... I wonder if his Up-B has any horizontal recovery. It really doesn't look like it does.

Doesn't look like it. In fact, to use it as any type of recovery at all, you're going to have to cancel it out at the peak of his height, or you'll just end up suicidally slamming back down.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dark Ninja said:
I wish we could but i doubt it
there's 2 icons left on the website list and it seems like game & watch is one so that leaves only one spot open

You do realize there isn't a maxium number of icons. One could be 22

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
still want:
classic sonic skin
level based on sonic 1
olimar

adding:
m-advancewars2_sami_01-jpg.jpg

or
m-advancewars2_andy_01-jpg.jpg

fantasy land:

konami covered, sega covered, capcom's logical choice would be megaman, Namco's Pacman, but I would rather see Viewtiful Joe and Mr. Driller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom